Western 1860 RP

DeletedUser

OOC: To sign up state the character/s you want. (You can have up to one character and his/her partner.) I'm taking the story to the town of Mora, Arizona. I'm going to have a crooked land deal happen there, as well as the McCartney gang coming to cause trouble. Please post a [OOC:] tag in front of any Out-Of-Character posts.

IC:
He swung the heavy bag off the floor and stepped over the man's body and out of the saloon. He was dressed immaculately, like an Easterner, and he loaded the bag behind his horse's saddle with deliberation. The man was a handsome figure, about forty years of age and cool, clean way about his buisness. After securing the saddlebag he scooped his hat, a black widebrim, off the ground and dusted it off carefully before deposited it on his head.

A husky man with thick forearms stumbled out of the saloon after him and wiped his bloody nose across his hand. He grinned, showing a row yellow, broken teeth.

"That was some fight, mister. Vince's boys had a lot of kick in them."

"They asked for it. They have been asking it of a lot of people. I'm surprised the law didn't do anything about them."

The husky boxer nodded his head, this man was an Easterner after all. "Out here we mostly take care of our ownselves." The other man tugged his grulla away from the post and swung it around. "You bought yourself a heap of trouble. I'll throw in with you if you like."

The man on horseback furrowed his brow. "I'm heading for Santa Fe. The McCartneys will try to follow me."

"That's why you'll need a pardner. I've always had a knack for buckin' stacked decks. Name's Ray Hart." He thrust a meaty hand up towards the horse's rider.

The rider leaned over and shook the hand. "Glad of your help Hart. I'm Captain Leslie Seiden."

A shout from the saloon indicated that the first of Vince McCartney's gang had come to. Seiden popped his grulla with the end of his reins and galloped down the main street out of town. Hart pulled his zebra dun mule away from the post and was fast behind. After several hours of silent riding through the desert brush they spoke again.

"What are you going to do in Santa Fe, Captain?"

"Just call me Leslie. I'm not really a captain anymore." He slowed his horse and allowed the lathered animal to wander down an arroyo to nuzzle at a muddy patch. No sense killing the creature with hard riding; there had been no sign of pursuers. "I'm going to marry a girl. I met her in Boston."

"Ah, very good. I had you figured for an army man. There's a fort somewhere along that way."

"I wasn't a captain in the army. It was on a ship. I sold everything and am headed to Mora. My soon-to-be-father-in-law has a big ranch there."

"How did you get mixed up with the McCartneys?" Hart was instantly sorry he asked, but the Easterner was inclined to talk and didn't yet understand the rules of the west.

"Dumb fool deal I made. I ran into Kel McCartney and was offered a quick job clearing some squatters off his property. Sounded like a good way to get accustomed with the new way of living, and I accepted. Took me a while to figure out he was stealing the land. I told him something to that effect."

Hart dismounted to set up a camp. Darkness was fast approaching. "Those are fightin' words. You'll never get them off your tail now unless you kill them."

"I don't want any of that. They'll give up as soon as they see I'm not bothering them any."

Hart shook his head. This Seiden had a bit to learn.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

[OOC:]No character sheet thingies? Just establish the story as it goes and no limit on who you can be? Well if it's all right I'll go on to say the following..[OOC:] [IC] "You know what soldier?" "What?" smiled the young man as he looked at the tall man decorously dressed in a hybrid of a Mexican officer's Uniform and a cavalryman's boots, pants, and sabre. "Out here we're in seccesionist lands quite possibly... In fact look how many southeners there are, all disturbed about all that's going on in the northern states, I bet at the drop of a hat they'd secede and break this peaceful union." "Your point sir?" "We're out here to gather some recruits so that we can go to Kansas and end the bloody mess going on there!" "Ahhh..." The young man looked oddly at the other man as their horses closed in on town. "You know boy I Gistepe Polazarno intend to mantain this American union no matter the cost, now lets see if that saloon has some "recruits" for us." "Sir what if we start getting-" "Beaten up well then we knock the tar out of them and prove a good New Yawker can smash their faces in!" "Hmmm..." The young man had a very bad feeling...

DeletedUser

[OOC:] I don't put much limits on people's RPing, just so it fits in with the time and place and isn't crazy or godmod. Anyone can briefly RP an unimportant NPC, like a hostler or barmaid, but I'm doing most NPCs myself. Your post is pretty good I think, and yes, it's work the story as we go. If there's a battle with someone else's character though, just say what you do and the other person can decide reasonably how much damage they take and can bring in another character to play as if their guy dies. NPCs can be slaughtered at will, so long as it's not outrageous. My characters are Ray Hart and Leslie Seiden.

DeletedUser

“Finally I’ve found you!” an unpleasant voice rang out from behind the two who were just setting up camp. The sun set behind the voice obscuring her fire colored mess of hair and fair completion in a silhouette. Though she wore slacks and a long sleeve shirt, both were tight enough, and coupled with what would be a musical voice if it wasn’t so harsh with fight, that one could tell that she was a she.

The harsh but voice belonged to Jezebel Smith, a twenty something with a bone to pick with some fella’s that had made a ruckus and up and left her father’s saloon in shambles before riding off into the sunset. Her steely blue eyes bore into what at the moment were the backs of said two men, whom she had just caught up with after following the trail that they left galloping away at lightning speed.

Not giving them the opportunity to be surprised she dismounted from her horse stomping her self the rest of distance that was between her and the men before saying in a voice to match her eyes and jabbing her finger in their general direction, “Ya’ll better get your dumb asses back to that saloon that you tore up like a tornado whilst fighting those good for nuthin’ McCartney boys!”

Though it didn’t seem like it was possible, her glare narrowed even more before she continued speaking with the same cold tone, “I’m sure you had very good reasonin’ for high-tailin’ it outta’ there, but there’s no way you’re gunna’ leave that sorta’ mess you made for my father! He works hard, and though he may serve riff raff that don’t deserve to be served, like Vince’s boys, gives you know right to cause all that trouble! You shoulda’ taken your good for nuthin’ business out sid-”

She stopped mid rant only because one of those back started to seem awfully familiar, not as a regular to the saloon, which she helped out in, but more just because the town was small and everyone knew everyone. She crossed her arms and stood taller before she started again, this time with a little more snip in it, “I shouldn’t be surprised your were involved in this some how Ray Hart! What kinda’ trouble have you gone and gotten your self inta’ this time?”

[{ OOC: Sorry for being late! It took some time getting used to this just pop in and play roleplaying! Totally new to me, but it looks interesting! Hope I’m doing it right! :-D}]

DeletedUser

A horse's hooves were clearly audible striking on stone. Hart grabbed his gun and held it on the approaching rider, until Seiden touched his arm. It was a girl.

She drew up and began ranting on about her father's saloon, but Seiden hardly noticed. Jezebel Smith was beautiful, rivaling even Captain Seiden's fiancee, with wild red hair and pale blue eyes. She was a right pert creature with a lot of sass, and perhaps folly, riding up on a strange fire without calling first.

"Miss Smith, sorry about the mess, but you see, my new pard and I are setting out down Santa Fe ways, and Vince McCartney'll probably not be long behind," explained Hart.

Seiden began rolling a new cigarette, having thrown aside his half-smoked one absently when the girl rode up. "You used a pretty naughty word for a lady, girl. And does your pa know you ride out to strange camps after dark?"

DeletedUser

OOC: Ah, I was worried for a moment when I read the partner section. Thought it meant a partner was required, though I did notice Miss Smith is on here own at the moment. But in anycase...I just stumbled on this as I oft to do and wouldn't mind playing since it reminds me of the game itself. That and I've been watching Streets of Laredo a good deal. I've not decided on character yet, but the first idea that sprung into my head was a fellow who is called in by the McCartney gang to repay an old debt. I've not decided on a name yet, but he is a near gray-skinned and worn looking man. McCartney's found him out in the desert and were halfway through to process of looting his body when he woke up and snapped one's wrist. After the rocky start though, they decided killing him might not be the best way of doing things and managed to fix a deal. They fix him up and he repays the debt they think he owes. For whatever reason, he's accepted and acted with more honor towards that arrangement than the McCartney's can seem to display in a week.

DeletedUser

OOC: Ah, I was worried for a moment when I read the partner section. Thought it meant a partner was required, though I did notice Miss Smith is on here own at the moment. But in anycase...I just stumbled on this as I oft to do and wouldn't mind playing since it reminds me of the game itself. That and I've been watching Streets of Laredo a good deal. I've not decided on character yet, but the first idea that sprung into my head was a fellow who is called in by the McCartney gang to repay an old debt. I've not decided on a name yet, but he is a near gray-skinned and worn looking man. McCartney's found him out in the desert and were halfway through to process of looting his body when he woke up and snapped one's wrist. After the rocky start though, they decided killing him might not be the best way of doing things and managed to fix a deal. They fix him up and he repays the debt they think he owes. For whatever reason, he's accepted and acted with more honor towards that arrangement than the McCartney's can seem to display in a week.
[OOC:] Okay, that's pretty good. I'd like to see a man on the other side.

DeletedUser

"Look my friend over there, that saloon!" "Sir doesn't it look like it was-" "It's better if their was a brawl, it'll be easy to shanhai someone." With that the two men dismounted and entered the rather mangled looking saloon. "I am Gistepe Polazarno and I've come to recruit men to help in the fight against slavery in Kansas! I will also face any southern scum who thinks they can beat me!" "Pssst sir?" "What?" "Look around..." "When Gistepe finally looked around the bar he saw it was an awful mess, broken bottles, tables, and chairs everywhere and to top it off the bartender had a shotgun pointed at him. "GET OUT!" he yelled quite loudly. "Now wait sir couldnt we-" "OUT!" "Fine I leave!" Unfortunately for Gistepe as soon as he left the saloon he was face to face with some McCartney boys, three to be exact. One of them blocked the way to their horses and said, "Well, look what we have here Dave, some abolitios or whatever they call'em. You know what Dave, we don't like abolitos much." "That's right Charlie, hey Doug why don't you get behind him" "Now wait you look like fine honest men-" "Stop yapping we'll beat the tar out of you and then we'll let you leave town, sound fair?" "Sir this doesn't sound good..."

DeletedUser

“I don’t doubt that Mr. Hart, you guys sure did put a knocking on them McCartney boys. . .” Jezebel said, more to her self than anyone else. Plus it wasn’t something that those boys didn't deserved, since they were all trouble makers. That didn’t change the fact that Hart and his new ‘pard’ could have taken the fight outside instead of making a mess inside. She didn’t get a chance to bring that up before the stranger was pointing out faults that Jezebel was already aware of.

“I’m no girl sir; I’ll be twenty five this upcoming fall which means my father doesn’t have much to do with how I ride up to camps and a bad word is only bad if you think it is. I hold my own,” she said with a different, slightly more tired, kind of ice in her voice, most of her steam had run out after her small yelling fest. It had always been that way with Jezebel, action first, and situation control later. A quality adopted from her brother before he had left to join the Union. Her mother had left the family when she was a young age, so she had grown up with just her father and brother, coming off a little brasher than your average Southern belle.

She sighed not really thinking about any of that but instead said, “Listen I know you fella’s are on your way some where, but if you said that the McCartney’s will be after you soon, what a better avoidance tactic then to go back to the saloon, maybe just a different way,” looking away to bite her lip, a life long habit, but not wanting any attention to be drawn to it.

“Plus besides avoiding them stupid boys, you can maybe come back and help clean up a little? Knowing my father he’ll have already started, but with his bad leg, I’m sure it’d take him days to clean up. . .” she added almost tempted to add batting her lashes with how girly she was being. Sometimes a peaceful follow up to a brash beginning was the way to go though.

[{OOC: Once again incredibly sorry for being late, I should be more quick the next time though, just had to do some stuff around the house ^_^;
Plus, I’m sure that you’ve noticed, but I have absolutely no idea about this time period, so please correct me if I’m wrong in any mannerisms, though judging from the game (which probably shouldn’t be something I judge from) girls out west didn’t really have the same kind of limits. . . . I hope for the sake my character doesn’t look out of place :’D}]

DeletedUser13682

(Here's a new interesting experiment. No character sheet, no backstory, wish me luck, my humans.)

Second Lieutenant Michael J. Asper, United States Marine Corps 8th Batallion, was sititng with his 20 men around a campfire. They were out in the western wilderness, testing out an Austrian design for a new type of rifle, called an air rifle. No powder necessary, just compressed air. So far, it worked just fine, but the pumping during the night was hard on the men, and some were starting to complain about all the pumping that was required. A better sniper weapon than a general soldier's weapon, in Michael's opinion. That's why they also brought along Winchester 1873s, just in case.

While the men were talking, in the distance, around another campfire that had sprouted, an argument could be heard. Michael thought this would be a good time to test out the air rifles on humans, and got ready. "Lance Corporal Hendrickson, Private Lawrence, Private Cambridge, get over here, and bring your air rifles. See that campfire over there? There's an argument of some sort going on there. We're going to test the air rifles' terror factor. Let's go!" The men got on their horses, grabbed their air rifles, and in 10 minutes were at the other campsite.

Upon arrival, they saw three people. One, a big, beefy guy, probably a professional fighter. The second guy was a man from New York, Boston, or another city on the Eastern Seaboard. The thrid person was a woman, obviously from the South, according to her manner of speaking. "We heard some commotion coming from over here," Lieutentant Asper said to the group. "We just wanted to make sure that everything was alright. Everything is alright, correct?"

DeletedUser

[{OOC: It's weird at first but I think it's a really good way to do it, just like a real novel, and it's more realistic because if it gets thirty pages in nobody's going to go back and read everything so it'll really be like the characters are really just meeting.}]

DeletedUser

[OOC: I wouldn't know what to do with character sheets; I've never played with them before. But I do like the novel approach. I think it's easy to read.
Lol, cornnachoz, I have my guys ride off into the sunset to find new adventures and incredible gunbattles and a girl embarrasses them by riding up and telling them to clean up their mess! I love that. XD Your girl is a little wild for the time period's civilized gals, but it wouldn't be the west without people like her.]

Hart shook his head slowly and pushed his hat back. "You chuckle-haided chit! You don't understand, we can't go back..."

Some more crunching of the desert's gravel alerted him to the arrival of more men. They drew right up to the fire, and it wasn't hard to recognize them for Union soldiers.

Seiden had crouched over the fire to light his cigarrette, and the newcomers found him holding a glowing stick near the blaze. He didn't like being surprised so close to a bright light and he straightened slowly, blinking to see the soldiers.

Hart looked them over; they were a rowdy lot, the kind that iches for trouble. Well, it wouldn't be hard for them to find it, what with Apaches, and white folks blundering around in the desert looking to lose their hair.

"Sorry, gentlemen, just a friendly arguement with this here girl." Hart jabbed a thick thumb in her direction. "She's still on her horse, you see. We didn't bother her any."

DeletedUser

(OOC: This is 1860, no? I'm not sure if Winchester 1873's are applicable, however I can't really think of a better replacement except for a winchester revolving carbine. However that doesn't sound fitting in a sniper unit...)

(IC: "Well can't we all be civilized?" "What's this cilise you takkin 'bout?" "Sir, I don't-" "On three we run into the saloon and dive for the floor!" "What?" "1, 2, 3 GO!" The two beleagured men dived into the saloon diving to the floor just as one of the thugs came close behind them, only to be met by a shotgun blast. "I said out!" Those were the bartender's words as the man was filled with buckshot and fell over on the floor. "Hey looks like they want trouble pull out your-" "Not so fast kind sir you see I dive to the floor and now Gistepe has a pistol pointed at you, unless you feel the need to be removed from the balance, and you over there, my partner has his gun on you." "We'll be back you yeller bellied Nawthenor and that stupid fool of a bartender!" With that the two thugs ran into the night. Turning to the barkeep they saw him looking rather stunned, curiously enough for killing a man. "I... I didn't mean to kill him... I'm a good god-fearing man... That slug was meant for you two, it's too late thoch and them 'Cartneys gonna hunt me down and have my head to top it off..." "Now, now kind sir I Gistepe shall protect you form harm." "What? You, you've made enough mess already!" "Now now, we'll make sure, that is me and my partner will make sure, you're alive, on one condition." "What condition?" "You provide us room and board." "Fine..." "Good, look we'll even be so kind as to clean up this mess." "Wait sir-" "This is how you win over locals boy, just watch..." With that the pair started cleaning up the mess in the saloon...

DeletedUser

Jezebel was just about to launch at Hart when she heard what would turn out to be the Union soldiers ride up to the fire with the want to fight. She was back on her horse before they were even in sight range, only knowing they were approaching by the sound. She wasn’t sure how she’d known, but her bet was on her instinct which made the urge to fight almost a physical wind that blew through right when their horses pulled up. She placed her hands on her reigns and thought through her options in front of her. She could either blare alarms to the union soldiers about what these guys had done or she could go along with it and just smile and nod.

Her mouth opened to say something that seemed like it would be important before the flash of a quick change of mind flashed within her eyes and she closed her mouth. She smiled sweetly before saying, “You know I wouldn’t even call it a friendly fight sir, more even a light debate, of nothing of importance of course,” gesturing from herself to the boys.

[{OOC: she actually dismounted in my first post lmao ^_^; Haha I was waiting for someone else to post because I didn't want to post such a short post and so incoherent, just regard me as mega fail from now on -_-;}]

DeletedUser

"Sir?" "What?" "Look at this saloon if you ask me it's not going to be a saloon much longer." "Why would it cease to be a saloon?" "There are no chairs and tables." "Hmmm... Ahh ha! I've got it!" "What is your suggestion sir? I recall some German taught me to make barstools in New York!" "Oh no." "Oh yes, if you want to win over the locals you gotta be nice. Now go ask the bartender if he has some tools and nails!"

DeletedUser

[OOC: Sorry, cornnachos. I guess it's not much consequence though. But if you hang around my guys any longer I think lafittejean will remodel your father's saloon. XD]

DeletedUser

[{OOC: I noticed lmao, I was thinking of having her ride off as soon as the union soldier rode off, or something like having another character, maybe a younger brother or cousin ride out and tell her that things were clear. What ever floats everybody's boat though!}]

DeletedUser13682

Michael listened to the explainations, and then took the other men a few feet away. "I've been to debates before, they rarely yell, especially in 'friendly' debates. I think we need to question them more. Something is up, something isn't right. Keep alert, keep your hands close to those rifles. I don't want any of you to become casualties." Michael led the other Marines back to the campsite. "Sorry for our little impromptu talk. We think it's best if you all stay with us for awhile to answer some questions. Don't worry. You're not in trouble, yet that is." At that, the Marines laughed a little bit. "But it's best if stay honest, and don't try anything stupid. Understood?"

DeletedUser

"Sir?" "What is it now?" "Well, I was wondering, do we have to replace all the chairs?" "The tables too bum." "I-" "I know how to build a table with these wood scraps, now come on keep on sawing, we're almos done with the chairs!"

DeletedUser

Her face didn’t show it, but Jezebel’s attitude was going sour real quick with these Union men riding up and just telling the group to do. She wasn’t stupid though, and knew that she would only be giving them a chance to do what they really wanted if she tried anything but cooperating with them. The soldiers themselves must have thought that none of them had their wits though, pulling only a couple feet away before talking about Hart, Seiden, and her like they were a bunch of children caught dong something wrong.

Looking like she was contemplating their orders instead of just accepting them, Jezebel sighed once before saying, “I honestly wish I could say that I would agree to staying with you boys, but I only came out to give Mr. Hart. . .” pausing only to fish what ever she was lucky enough to have in one of her saddle bag, “This here blanket you see!” and with her hand came out a plain blanket, inwardly thanking who ever had left it in the bag, not even remembering if it had been herself.

“I had only been yelling', because as a close family friend to us, my father sent me out to give the blanket to Mr. Hart, who had refused thinking that I should instead stay out here since it’s already dark. I really do have to get home to help my father clean up the saloon though. . .” she had started the last part mostly to her self, only stopping realizing she was on a dangerous train of thought there. She floundered for a second, finally having enough brains to say, “A local group of trouble makers had gone and messed it up, but my father thought it to benmore important to make sure Mr. Hart didn’t come out here cold. . . .” adding a light tinkling of laughter, knowing that, for a close family friend, her father would have done that.

----------------------

Meanwhile back at the saloon Jezebel’s father, Jeremiah Smith, was staring with a face mixed with awe and confusion as the two men, who he had almost just shot, started to work cleaning up the mess that the McCartney boys and the two stranger’s Jezebel chased after had made. His thought flickered momentarily to Jezebel, his face changing to worry for his over enthusiastic and fiery daughter. It was the most common feeling, right after love, which he felt for Jezebel since she was always getting her self into trouble. He couldn’t stay mad at her though, and knew that it was mostly his fault for not having a mother figure in the girl’s life, never having the heart to look for anyone else after Mary-Lou had left him so many years ago.

Bringing him self back to the present he looked on as the soldiers started to do something with scraps of wood. He was still scared out of his mind for what was to come after shooting that McCartney boy, and still confused beyond belief that men he had promised the shot for were now cleaning up a mess that wasn’t theirs. He gulped slightly before asking with what voice he could muster, “Well if you fella’s want room and board, can I ask fer your names at least? I do apologize for being such a crotchety old man, but I’m sure you could understand why after the day I had. . . “

He put the gun down on the bar making his way around it, with the slightest of limps, not liking to just stand there while two strangers worked away for what little room he could offer. His icy blue eyes never left the men though, the only common physical feature that kept him sure that Jezebel was his own. It didn’t help much that his salt and pepper hair made the eyes look stormier instead of crystal clear but when compared side to side, any one could see the striking similarity in the eyes, but only the eyes. The rest of his daughter’s looks had come from her mother, like the blazing head of hair, the tinkling voice, and the lithe figure, thankfully though, with none of the unfaithful personality that had only showed itself in the very end of things. He pulled an over turned crate close trying to rid himself of the thoughts, and started filling it with chunks of wood and glass that were beyond salvageable.

Only a moment after he started though a lanky figure burst through the swinging doors that opened up in the front of the saloon, topped with wispy brown hair and partially covered hazel eyes; eyes filled with worry and similar confusion. Jeremiah locked glance with the boy, who seemed to be only sixteen before the boy saying, “We’ve got it covered Alex, no need to rush in here like a tornado.”

Alex’s eyes roamed the entire bar before saying, “I don’t know Uncle Jeremiah, this place is lookin’ pretty horrible right now. . .” and then looking over to the two Union men. It was any young boys nature to feel useful to their Uncles, and his face said that he wouldn’t budge unless Jeremiah gave him something to do that would be serious enough for him to feel needed. The old man sighed before he said

“If you want to help, why you don’t go out and try to find your crazy cousin, Jezebel, the girl rode off in a fit after two men who were a part of the brawl that went on here. I’m sure she found her self trouble some how. . .” having a feeling he was unfortunately saying the truth. It was all he needed though because Alex’s eyes lit up real fast saying some sort of agreement so fast that Jeremiah had no chance of hearing it, running out and taking off on the only other horse that the bar keep had.

[{OOC: .__.; I know you only said two characters, but I’ll get rid of one of them as soon as I don’t need one. Sorry for such a long post by the way, I was in a really wordy mood v_v;;}]