War Criminal?

DeletedUser

Amnesty International is urging the Canadian Government to arrest George Bush Jr. for crimes against humanity since in his autobiography, he says that he gave permission for USA agents to torture suspected terrorists. In Canada, the Canadian Government was sued by a man who was 'suspected' of being part of a terrorist cell. He is Canadian. He was sent to the USA, and then the Americans sent him to Iran where he was tortured for several months. After getting released... he was found innocent.

What would happen if the former president was arrested by the Canadian government?

Link: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/canada-arrest-george-w-bush-visits-next-week-145732842.html

DeletedUser

And what about Obama for greenlighting the assassination of American citizen Anwar al-Awlaki?

DeletedUser

Anwar al-Awlaki forfeited his citizenship when he participated in treasonous acts.

"(7) committing any act of treason against, or attempting by force to overthrow, or bearing arms against, the United States, violating or conspiring to violate any of the provisions of section 2383 of title 18, United States Code, or willfully performing any act in violation of section 2385 of title 18, United States Code, or violating section 2384 of said title by engaging in a conspiracy to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, if and when he is convicted thereof by a court martial or by a court of competent jurisdiction."

Granted, the issue here is that -- as far as I know -- there was no conviction in absentia.

DeletedUser

Granted, the issue here is that -- as far as I know -- there was no conviction in absentia.

i.e. he was still an American citizen.

Article III, Section 3 of the United States Constitution.

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

DeletedUser

Considering the ample evidence, including videos and hisnown recorded statements, I would say the 2 testimonies are covered

DeletedUser

Considering the ample evidence, including videos and hisnown recorded statements, I would say the 2 testimonies are covered
Yeah, you're right, who needs a trial. A mere technicality. Why bother with a trial for anybody? If you weren't guilty you wouldn't be on trial!

DeletedUser

Oi, the present system favors DA coercion, where people take a plea rather than face ridiculously inflated charges that may or may not stick. Call that a trial?

Anyway, a trial "in absentia" is just as useless, don't you think?

And while we're at it, how about prosecuting Perry for preventing a man on death row from being acquitted, he's now dead by injection. Shouldn't he be charged with murder?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

With 9/11 still sending panic, in their mind, anybody could be a terrorist. I'd say the Bush administration owes a huge favor, but I don't think he should be arrested.

DeletedUser

With 9/11 still sending panic, in their mind, anybody could be a terrorist. I'd say the Bush administration owes a huge favor, but I don't think he should be arrested.
Wait, who is "he?" We have different discussions going on here.

DeletedUser17649

Won't happen in the U.S.
Is it just me think who its kinda funny when people who doesn't trust the government with healthcare etc. thinks its OK to give them the power to kill its own citizens?

DeletedUser22575

Oi, the present system favors DA coercion, where people take a plea rather than face ridiculously inflated charges that may or may not stick. Call that a trial?

Anyway, a trial "in absentia" is just as useless, don't you think?

No American citizen is suppose to have his life taken by the US government without due process.

Some secret committee reviewing actions by someone and then forwarding their name to be put on a "to be killed" list to the US President and it being automatically approved unless the President sends back a negative reply to that committee is not due process, but is murder.

Due process is a trial.

Trials by absentia are not useless. Evidence has to be provided to the court, etc. And if the trial date is publicized the accused always has the choice of showing up to defend themselves.

One way the rights of the American citizens are protected.

The other way a precedence is set that an American citizens life can be taken by the decision of some secret committee without the President actually having to sign off on it to cover his butt.

Considering what this country supposedly stands for which way to you think it should happen?

As far as Bush, no doubt he is a war criminal. He knew prisoners were being water boarded and he should have known that the US executed Japanese for water boarding after WWII. If he did not know all he had to do was listen to John McCain. McCain made it quite clear that water boarding was torture.

DeletedUser30834

Won't happen in the U.S.
Is it just me think who its kinda funny when people who doesn't trust the government with healthcare etc. thinks its OK to give them the power to kill its own citizens?
Perhaps knowing the government has the power to kill its own citizens if what causes the people to not trust the government with health care.

No American citizen is suppose to have his life taken by the US government without due process.

Some secret committee reviewing actions by someone and then forwarding their name to be put on a "to be killed" list to the US President and it being automatically approved unless the President sends back a negative reply to that committee is not due process, but is murder.

Due process is a trial.
Sort of. Due process is dictated by law created by the legislature and balanced against rights the courts determine to supersede the legislation (constitutional or other rights bound in legal precedent necessary to maintain a just system). Congress can change due process at any point in time they want which is why the US constitution guarantees the government cannot take the right to trial, to have competent counsel in your defense, to confront witnesses against you, or to raise witnesses in your favor in a completely separate amendment of the constitution then the one talking about rights of due process. See the 6th amendment verses the 4th and 5th. That being said, I do not disagree that "No American citizen is suppose to have his life taken by the US government without a constitutional process.

Trials by absentia are not useless. Evidence has to be provided to the court, etc. And if the trial date is publicized the accused always has the choice of showing up to defend themselves.
This is another sort of. A criminal conviction in absentia is the easier conviction to get over turned. All you have to do is say you were not afforded and insert one of the rights protected by the 6th amendment. As for as notice, public disclosure of a trial is not enough to serve as notice any more then placing an ad in the LA times for a trial in New York City would be proper notice. The notice has to be in place where someone would reasonably be able to receive it. The laws and rules are a little more lax when it comes to civil trials- more specifically divorce but even these are not set in stone.

A conviction in absentia is beneficial in raising aditional resources in capturing the person for trial. For instance, some foreign government will not extradict someone on most non-capitol crimes unless there is a conviction already in place.

As far as Bush, no doubt he is a war criminal. He knew prisoners were being water boarded and he should have known that the US executed Japanese for water boarding after WWII. If he did not know all he had to do was listen to John McCain. McCain made it quite clear that water boarding was torture.
This is probably the biggest reason I edited my post to address yours. We are a country of laws and we have a constitutional protection against being prosecuted for laws created after the fact. You may not like it, but there was no clear legal definition of torture used in the US and just as Clinton was splitting hairs depending on what the meaning of is is, there really isn't anything the government can do about any torture that went on.

As for foreign government, I would support the US declaring an all out- no holds barred war- against against any foreign power that arrested a sitting or former president or elected official for acts they did in government unless they were impeached and removed from office for those acts. The US is a soverign nation and operates in it's own right of soverengty. The US congress has a constitutional right to not be arrested or charged for any act of legislation or speech they commit in their official capacity as the elected body of representatives. The presidential administrations have the same rights. Whether you think they deserve to be punished or not, the concept of a foreign power retaining superiority over our sovereignty is more frightening then anything that has happened by any president in office in the last 50 years.

IF it should ever happen that to pass that a foreign government or power arrests and presses criminal charges on any of our elected officials, The United State of America has a moral and ethical obligation to end that possibility forever with as much certainty we as a nation can muster. If that results in WWIII, then be it.

DeletedUser22575

Perhaps knowing the government has the power to kill its own citizens if what causes the people to not trust the government with health care.

Sort of. Due process is dictated by law created by the legislature and balanced against rights the courts determine to supersede the legislation (constitutional or other rights bound in legal precedent necessary to maintain a just system). Congress can change due process at any point in time they want which is why the US constitution guarantees the government cannot take the right to trial, to have competent counsel in your defense, to confront witnesses against you, or to raise witnesses in your favor in a completely separate amendment of the constitution then the one talking about rights of due process. See the 6th amendment verses the 4th and 5th. That being said, I do not disagree that "No American citizen is suppose to have his life taken by the US government without a constitutional process.

This is another sort of. A criminal conviction in absentia is the easier conviction to get over turned. All you have to do is say you were not afforded and insert one of the rights protected by the 6th amendment. As for as notice, public disclosure of a trial is not enough to serve as notice any more then placing an ad in the LA times for a trial in New York City would be proper notice. The notice has to be in place where someone would reasonably be able to receive it. The laws and rules are a little more lax when it comes to civil trials- more specifically divorce but even these are not set in stone.

A conviction in absentia is beneficial in raising aditional resources in capturing the person for trial. For instance, some foreign government will not extradict someone on most non-capitol crimes unless there is a conviction already in place.

This is probably the biggest reason I edited my post to address yours. We are a country of laws and we have a constitutional protection against being prosecuted for laws created after the fact. You may not like it, but there was no clear legal definition of torture used in the US and just as Clinton was splitting hairs depending on what the meaning of is is, there really isn't anything the government can do about any torture that went on.

As for foreign government, I would support the US declaring an all out- no holds barred war- against against any foreign power that arrested a sitting or former president or elected official for acts they did in government unless they were impeached and removed from office for those acts. The US is a soverign nation and operates in it's own right of soverengty. The US congress has a constitutional right to not be arrested or charged for any act of legislation or speech they commit in their official capacity as the elected body of representatives. The presidential administrations have the same rights. Whether you think they deserve to be punished or not, the concept of a foreign power retaining superiority over our sovereignty is more frightening then anything that has happened by any president in office in the last 50 years.

IF it should ever happen that to pass that a foreign government or power arrests and presses criminal charges on any of our elected officials, The United State of America has a moral and ethical obligation to end that possibility forever with as much certainty we as a nation can muster. If that results in WWIII, then be it.

When we tried and executed Japanese for water boarding after WWII we set the legal precedence for it being a war crime right there.

We can not try and execute people for war crimes..and then turn around and go..well we did it..but when we tried and executed people for doing the same thing it didn't count.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc2-h4k4M00

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/29/politics/main3554687.shtml

http://www.vqronline.org/articles/2008/winter/genoways-torture/

DeletedUser

SumDumass,

I'm sure that the UN would disagree. Any state has the power to arrest some one who broke international laws. And then try them in international court. Torture is against international law. Which is why the US sent people to countries where it is 'legal' to be tortured. If I remember right Mrs. Rice was trying to defend the position of Gorge Bush Jr. in which the European countries were pissed off because the Americans sent people to countries through their airspace to be tortured elsewhere.

DeletedUser

On the issue of Anwar al-Awlaki, I figure I'll ruffle a few more feathers.

Has everyone forgotten that we have snipers in the S.W.A.T. teams, whose primary job is to "kill" a person (almost always a U.S. citizen) in the commission of a crime that endangers the lives of others? This isn't being authorized by the President, it's being authorized locally, by Sheriff Buttface and Marshal Moe. Same applies in prisons, where the authority to kill a U.S. citizen is provided when a crime is in commission. So, are we to argue that Anwar al-Awlaki doesn't fall into that action, when it is abundantly clear he was, in fact, participating in the commission of crimes against the U.S., and against civilians?

Hmm... ponder that homeys.

DeletedUser

Has everyone forgotten that we have snipers in the S.W.A.T. teams, whose primary job is to "kill" a person (almost always a U.S. citizen) in the commission of a crime that endangers the lives of others?

There's a big difference between killing someone while a crime is being committed and lives are in immediate danger and killing someone who may endanger lives in the future. Now you're arguing for the death penalty as well. How about euthanasia for babies whose genes predispose them towards being a psychopath?

DeletedUser

Not arguing for anything. Just pointing out that the argument here is grumbling about bureaucratic red tape, not about right or wrong of it. There is ample evidence, clear statements made by Awlaki, that he is and has been working with and for Al Qaeda, a terrorist organization that specifically targets civilians, particularly Americans. This, in and of itself, indicates that every minute he lives is an effort to take the lives of American civilians.

You seem to be under the misconception this man didn't make videos clearly indicating his actions, intentions, plans, and directives, nor of his contact and involvement with the terrorists of 9/11, or his direct emails to Major Nidal Malik Hasan just prior to the attack at Ft. Hood, etc and so on. Perhaps you and others should review his recruitment videos and rethink your arguments.

Anyway, here's a judicial review on the issue (prior to the killing) --- http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703296604576005391675065166.html