Unhealthy habits, differences between Red Wine, other alchohol, and smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

I've been thinking about this subject for a while, and I've pretty much concluded to simply make it into a discussion topic.

Does Red Wine really benefit you, is drinking alchoholic beverages more dangerous than smoking cigars/cigarettes, and why doesn't the government work to ban Alchohol again if it's so bad as they say it ism and why eliminate tobacco/smokeable substances?

DeletedUser

There have been a great number of studies that tell us that moderate usage of wine and beer is good for your health. Alchohol therefor can be good for you, but cigarettes only give you lung canser.

DeletedUser

I've been thinking about this subject for a while, and I've pretty much concluded to simply make it into a discussion topic.

Does Red Wine really benefit you, is drinking alchoholic beverages more dangerous than smoking cigars/cigarettes, and why doesn't the government work to ban Alchohol again if it's so bad as they say it ism and why eliminate tobacco/smokeable substances?
The government isn't going to ban alcohol again because we learned from prohibition that when you ban a highly in-demand substance like alcohol the trade will simply move to the black market; crime will soar and at the end of the day the substance won't be effectively kept from anyone. Same with tobacco. Just look at how easy it is to get marijuana today, and how many people are killed in Mexico every year now because of the black market dealings.

I'm not going to get into the scientific debate about the health benefits and risks of Red wine, alcoholic beverages and tobacco because I don't have the time or money to conduct my own study on the subject and thus only have the studies already published right now which, to my knowledge, say that:
  1. Red wine is good, to an extent (one glass per day) and
  2. Alcohol and tobacco can be equally bad in their own ways (really comparing apples and oranges on this one). However, alcohol can be drunken in a responsible way while tobacco cannot be used responsibly.
If anyone can bring in evidence to the contrary I'm sure that would make for an interesting debate.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser9470

The dangers of smoking are well known:
your lungs get clogged up by tar, your arteries get clogged, you cannot do any type of physical sport any more and you end up dying horrendously of cancer....

The only benefit I can see is cannabis gets you high, there are no benefits to smoking cigarettes at all.
do not talk to me about stress. if you are stressed you chose to be stressed.

As for wine and alcohol, it is also well known that alcohol is bad for you:
it destroys your neurones, makes you put on weight and you end up hoping someone will die in a car accident who has the same blood type as you so you can keep his/her liver alive.

There are a few things in wine that can be considered good for your health like Antioxidants such as flavonoids or resveratrol...
BUT SURPRISE! you also find those in grapes and other fruit. Resveratrol lowers the "bad" LDL cholesterol, but elevates the "good" HDL cholesterol levels.

So
To conclude the only benefit of drinking and smoking is to get yourself high.
Do not lie to yourself by believing they improve your health.
Do not believe wine producers who want you to think that drinking wine improves your health.
I don't condemn drinking and smoking in fact i enjoy both with moderation.

But you must accept that when you do such things you are destroying your health.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

So
To conclude the only benefit of drinking and smoking is to get yourself high.
Do not lie to yourself by believing they improve your health.
Do not believe wine producers who want you to think that drinking wine improves your health.
I don't condemn drinking and smoking in fact i enjoy both with moderation.

So do you have any evidence to prove that?

DeletedUser

The only positive effect of alchohol is not getting high. People who don't drink any alcohol at all have higer chanses to get a number of diseases that moderate drinks can avoid.

DeletedUser9470

The only positive effect of alchohol is not getting high. People who don't drink any alcohol at all have higer chanses to get a number of diseases that moderate drinks can avoid.

OMG! what diseases?

DeletedUser

And while you're providing us those alleged studies, please also provide insight into who sponsored those studies. There's a lot of erroneous studies being made, providing unverifiable and largely questionable results, with these studies being sponsored by the very same companies that can benefit from said results favoring their business.

The legitimate studies I've seen have repeatedly shown that both alcohol and tobacco are not healthy. The studies about red wine allegedly being healthy at 1 glass per day are suspect at best, and have been largely contraindicated by the medical community.

Remember, before the whistleblowers exposed the tobacco industy, they had people believing tobacco cleared your lungs and invigorated your heart.

DeletedUser

Remember, before the whistleblowers exposed the tobacco industy, they had people believing tobacco cleared your lungs and invigorated your heart.

Wow, here you always learn something new

Anyway, when giving solid facts, you need something to support them.
Anyway again, a glass of red wine during lunch is always welcomed ^.^ french peep say it helps, oddly...

DeletedUser

Anyway again, a glass of red wine during lunch is always welcomed ^.^ french peep say it helps, oddly...
Umm, no, the French say the exact opposite:

Dominique Maraninchi, France's National Cancer Institute's (INCA) president, said: 'Small daily doses of alcohol are the most harmful. There is no amount, however small, which is good for you.'

The findings go against previous research, which has found that the antioxidants in red wine can actually reduce the risk of cancer.

The INCA study warned: 'The consumption of alcohol is associated with an increase in the risk of cancers - mouth, larynx, esophagus, colon-rectum, and breast cancer.
'The cause is above all the transformation of ethanol in alcohol to acetaldehyde, which damages DNA in healthy cells.'

This is particularly likely to happen if alcohol is introduced into the body daily - even in small measures, it added.

Official figures show that alcohol is responsible for around 6 per cent - or 9,000 cases - of all cancer deaths in the UK each year, including 5,000 cases of mouth and esophagus cancer and 2,000 cases of breast cancer.

Dr Jodie Moffat, of charity Cancer Research UK, said: 'We know that drinking just small amounts of alcohol, in the form of beer, wine or spirits, increases the risk of several different types of cancer.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...isk-cancer-168--say-French.html#ixzz0whysIa3b

DeletedUser9470

Exactly, although I'm English and love to take the mickey, the French know exactly where they stand most of the time, especially on local produce.

they are fully aware of the drop in sales as would anyone running a company would, their market share has been seriously hit by foreign wines, loosing a long held monopole.

so what would anyone with any sense do if he had money and power?
how do you push consummation?

well people believe in god!
so even though loads of people die every year from liver failure due to drinking alcohol, they'll probably believe us if we tell them wine is good!

we all know 1 glass leads to another...

OMG! sales are picking up!

DeletedUser

I think the gov is more concerned towards alcohol with drunk driving and drunken violence. I don't think the gov pays much attention to smoking except for the tax of coarse.

DeletedUser

There is something I can prove even without a comprehensive study on the subject. Strong alcohol, for example vodka, does help when you have a cold. I have been using that method for years and it worked every time.

DeletedUser

I'm not too keen on the idea of destroying brain cells and my liver just to feel better when I have a cold that would be gone in a week anyway.

I don't see a whole lot of difference between the danger of alcohol and the danger of tobacco, other than the fact that one alcohol related incident could easily wipe out several families (if it included driving drunk), but it would take repeated exposure to cigarette smoke over several years to have any serious effect on anyone (including the smoker) unless it were caused by a fire. I don't drink, and I smoke 1-4 cigarettes a day, but I see many things every day that cause more physical and emotional danger to others. On the other hand, I don't really see any health benefit coming from the use of either. If either is done responsibly, it shouldn't be much of a threat to anyone but the person doing it and I don't believe the government should be regulating what we do to our own bodies... I hate seat belts! :mad:

DeletedUser

I'm not too keen on the idea of destroying brain cells and my liver just to feel better when I have a cold that would be gone in a week anyway.

I don't know about you ,but I don't like to have a cold for a week. And there are so many braincell out there that are just waiting to be killed.

DeletedUser

And only one liver waiting to die out on you too. Afterward what is left is the need for a transplant or some sort of medical operation

Status
Not open for further replies.