UN hired mercenaries?

DeletedUser

If you don't want to read the following long intro skip to the bottom

I've been reading the book MERCENARIES by Michael Lee Lanning, and watching the military channels program on mercenary forces through out history. Now both sources say the same thing, Mercenaries know how to get stuff done. The aforementioned book states about the mercenary company Executive Outcomes on the subject of the Angolan civil war "..The Angolan government paid EO $30 million (dollars US) for two months work. Whatever the costs, Angola got it's moneys worth. Within days after signing the contract, fifty to eighty EO soldiers accompanied by regular Angolan army forces conducted a surprise attack and freed the oil fields from the rebels." a feat which was nearly impossible. Also from the same book on the topic of the Sierra Leone civil war " Using only 170 soldiers and six aircraft, EO quieted the rebellion and in just nine days and pushed the rebels 80 miles back into the jungle..." now the numbers for that particular contract were quite impressive for EO, 170 merc's against rebels in the thousands. On the Military channel show ( I wish I could remember the name) an executive of the former Executive Outcomes made a bold statement concerning th Rwandan civil war, "instead of th UN spending billions of dollars ,a couple hundred peacekeeper lives and the lives of thousands of civilians, we could have done it for a few million, less death, and resolved it quicker.

Now my question is this, should the UN use mercenaries to resolve conflicts?

DeletedUser

My answer is no. Also, this discussion presents a misunderstanding about the United Nations. It does not have it's own military force, nor is it allowed to have one (as well, they cannot "hire" mercenaries). U.N. security forces are volunteered military contingents of the member nations. The U.N. sets the agenda, but it is the ranking military of those contingents, from those respective nations, that dictates how the troops will be utilized in attempting to complete the stated agenda.

As to this alleged executive from Executive Outcomes (which was dissolved 11 years ago), their gross botch of the Sandline Affair shows that bold statements don't necessarily translate to better results.

DeletedUser

My answer is no. Also, this discussion presents a misunderstanding about the United Nations. It does not have it's own military force, nor is it allowed to have one (as well, they cannot "hire" mercenaries). U.N. security forces are volunteered military contingents of the member nations. The U.N. sets the agenda, but it is the ranking military of those contingents, from those respective nations, that dictates how the troops will be utilized in attempting to complete the stated agenda.

As to this alleged executive from Executive Outcomes (which was dissolved 11 years ago), their gross botch of the Sandline Affair shows that bold statements don't necessarily translate to better results.

they have peace keeping forces, those guys with those light blue helmets/hats.

DeletedUser

tim spicer he runs 'Aegis' who are employed to provide security in iraq and who knows what else

DeletedUser11019

NATO peacekeepers and all that.
but you could twist the words that it "sounds" like they are hired,
the world pays the UN to do "something"
they pay money to troops from all around to go "somewhere"
to me thats called being a merc in fancy words.

and dont think that they are so "peaceful"
i know a few countries they have destroyed, that they were worse that the country folk them selves (ziare then belgian congo, now DRC)
twisted country with a twisted history,,,plesent read really if your into nut job leaders.

not too certain,,but one of the NATO or UN does not actually have a millitary and they had to form some new group due to gross meddling ,,but in truth its no real difference,
i "hire" this countries troops to send them there so i can create havoc.

but in terms...they not hired help or mercs,,,just..lent or loaned at a fee :)