Tragedy on 10.8.2009 in Slovakia

DeletedUser

On 10.8.2009 in Slovakia, 20 people died in the mine where was an explosion. They were 330 meter underground and rescuers tried to safe them. But they were late. The explosion killed all people in the mine. 1 day the rescuers were looking for them in the mine but they found only 20 dead bodie. Today on 12.8.2009 we have the sad day. The tragedy happened in Handlová.

This is a very sad story. This year is very bad for us.

DeletedUser

Hmm, one incident, on the 8th month of the year, doesn't necessarily land the whole year into the bad.

What caused the explosion and are there any articles you can link to so we can look into it further?

DeletedUser

Try to find on BBC, I saw it somewhere there.

There was a fire in the mine and the rescuers was trying to sale it but to that fire came an air and that was the reason why the explosion came. But I am not sure.
And it is not the only incident what happened. There was a bus accident with about 30 people (from Slovakia) and they all died, then there was an aeroplane with 40 people (from Slovakia too) and they had an accident and they all died,then another bus accident with about 10 victims, this is the 4th sad they in this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Thank you Onyx.

Yesterday they found all of the bodies. Unfortunately they all are dead. Tragic end. The oldest dead men in the mine was 51 yers old! They all were young!

DeletedUser

Thank you Onyx.

Yesterday they found all of the bodies. Unfortunately they all are dead. Tragic end. The oldest dead men in the mine was 51 yers old! They all were young!

It is God's will.

I shall pray for them!

DeletedUser

Thank you all very much.

Handlová is not a big city, so everyone know everyone so the full city was crying.

R.I.P.

DeletedUser

There has to be atleast something to make Mining safer!

Thousands of people die in mining colapses, why don't all of the governments get together and try and make something that can help prevent it, i don't understand.

DeletedUser618

DeletedUser

By the above example, it's rather evident some countries, and thus the mining companies doing business there, really don't care about safety.

DeletedUser14280

So...this is a coal mine?
Aren't fossil fuels destructive enough to our world already?

Shouldn't the focus not be on making the mines safer, but rather making them outdated?

DeletedUser

No, the focus of those running, and benefiting, from coal mining should be on making them safer. Other ventures, other businesses, should be working on alternatives.

We are not one big massive single-celled organism that can only perform one action at a time. While efforts are being made to develop alternatives, efforts should also be made to increase safety for mining operations... ALL mining operations.

Celxius, the problem here is, as I already indicated, there are some nations, some business owners, some corporations, that value profit over human life. We cannot merely turn our back to that behavior, and instead focus on some other business venture, because that new business venture may very well follow in the same amoral footsteps. Wrong is wrong and focusing on a different right does not address the wrong that is happening in the interim.

DeletedUser14280

I thought I was saying something along the lines of "come at the issue from a different direction to get rid of the problem entirely".
If we use other, safer forms of energy production, nobody needs to get killed down a mine.
...I don't know where I'm going with that.

What kind of profit are we talking about, that these businesses value?

DeletedUser

Britain has a long history with mining and it is a job that has no mercy and little reward to the brave souls that do this job.
The Davy Safety Lamp was invented here around 1815. It has saved many lives from explosions due to gaseous clouds, coal dust and naked flames. I saw a report on a Chinese mine that had a collapse last year and all the miners had this lamp.

It was mining that gave birth to the train also. It is a common mistake that people make that the first train was Stevensons Rocket but in fact it was a Cornish tin mine invention that Stevenson took his idea.

[FONT=&quot]Death is nothing to be scared of and we must realise it is all around us all the time. It is a good reminder that we must live and live well in the short time we are here. Countries do not define who we are... that is for fate to decide.[/FONT]

DeletedUser12669

and i think it was made in darligton co durham and first run on the darlington to stockton line