Theft Prevention Feature on Market

DeletedUser14006

Proposal
Theft when trading items is a problem that has afflicted many folk, from low value products to high value weapons there is always an issue of trust when dealing with someone who you do not 100% know and/or trust.

Current Workaround
None.

Details
I propose a feature be implemented into the market that allows two people to list an item for each other but the transaction cannot complete until both players have clicked accept, until this point the item is in a 'locked' state preventing one player from buying and not listing their item in return.

Abuse Prevention
None.

Visual Aids
None.

Summary
The player can complete a prearranged market trade without fear of losing his/her item.

Administration
Does this idea meet the Ideas Guidelines & Criteria? Yes/No
Does this idea appear on any of the Previously Suggested Ideas List? Yes/No

DeletedUser

Technically, the market is open to whoever wishes to buy. However, I don't think it would be too hard to develop an escrow system as a part of the market.

DeletedUser22493

The idea to allow two players to safely trade items between eachother without interference from others has been rejected before, due to the rules.

Like Rice pointed out, the rules work against the idea.

This idea is a no-go..

DeletedUser

The current concept of the market is more like an exchange mart then an auction hall. If the developers wanted to prevent players from "pushing" against the rules then they'd only have to implement a few timers:

1. Make the auction a minimum amount of time, even if the max bid was reached (1 day for example)
2. If there is a bid in the final 5 minutes of an auction then extend the auction 5 more minutes.

As it is now, the market is probably the most abused place in this entire game (sell for 1/2 and buy it back a full, duel me for my bounty and then buy my overpriced stuff, etc.)

As far as staying on topic on this suggestion, a third party "holder" could be used (basically the items are in escrow). It would double the market fees but still accomplish the same thing.

DeletedUser14006

The idea to trade between two players may be against the rules but as you all know is commonplace.

I wonder how many of you got so many shiny weapons :)

DeletedUser

If an item is stolen from the market then it was priced too low to begin with and since it was under FMV (Fair Market Value) it got snagged. I've had it happen to me many times trading raw products for crafted products. Using the market is a skill some have mastered, some abuse and some just use it as a convenience feature to get stuff they can't or don't want to get with their own time. It's really not an "auction house" nor is it a "market" ... it's a weird sort of hybrid of the two.

DeletedUser14006

"Theft" is easily avoidable with simple precautions.

This is not the reason I thought of the idea, a typical scenario where it may be useful is when two folk want to trade rare, expensive items like Golden Tomahawk and Howdah's Pistol but neither wants to list first.

This would assist in this kind of trade to avoid the party who lists first potentially ending up with nothing but a bitter taste in his/her mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

But I think that is not an issue if you each charge a fair yet equal price (since you are agreeing these items are of equal or similar value). So if you list the item for a fair price, the person you are dealing with cannot cheat you. If they do not list in return you have still received the fair value for the item and they can only get their money back if they sell you the item you desire as agreed.

DeletedUser14006

But raising $500k just to swap a Howdah for and Golden Tomahawk will take some time meh...

DeletedUser

I think its a good idea. If the market rules cant be breached why not do it through the wandering trader or some other mechanism in the game like a shop?

DeletedUser

I like it. It shouldn't be a condition though, but an option. When placing an item in the market there could be the "Lock" option which we would check if we wanted the item acquired by someone in particular.

DeletedUser13388

The idea is really nice.Just in the market should be added 1 more tab for switching items.

For example i have the Golden Axe and Derek has Howdah.

Derek sets his Howdah at that new tab, i am setting my Golden Axe too.When i click on my Axe in the market menu, there should be an option " switch with " and i am choosing Derek`s Howdah Pistol.And when he click accept or agree the transfer is done.I am with Howdah, he is with the Golden Tomahawk.

DeletedUser14006

Exactly as Dragonfly says, this is the purpose and with this in place there is no fear of loss of item.

DeletedUser

But I think that is not an issue if you each charge a fair yet equal price (since you are agreeing these items are of equal or similar value). So if you list the item for a fair price, the person you are dealing with cannot cheat you. If they do not list in return you have still received the fair value for the item and they can only get their money back if they sell you the item you desire as agreed.

Less the market fee of course, and you have to have the cash on hand to make the transaction, then you have to pay a fee to bank the cash again (assuming you don't leave it uncollected in the market cash receptacle to be retrieved later). These fees are slightly more than 6% when combined and if you're selling an item for 200,000 or more, like these rare items might require, then you're taking a significant "hit" in the wallet.

The idea is good if the developers want the market to be used as a free market instead of an open hybrid market. They might even be able to charge a fee for the "escrow agent" (Inno of course).