The Tiran Wars: Liberty, at all Costs

DeletedUser

Thorin nodded. "yes. that will be the best course of action. but when you say head to my people's lands, it's not exactly that simple. remember that we were driven from our homes by foul orcs." Thorin spat out the last word. "now we take up residence with the dwarves in the north-eastern mountains. and we're not a united people either. we're split up into tribes. my tribe is the most prominent, I can only gaurantee help from them. I cannot say how the other tribes, or the dwarves, will react." he explained.

DeletedUser28032

Mei silently studied the guilt ridden monarch with a critical eye as she considered what he had said before finally replying "Very well you may travel with us but on one condition....you're to get me a new dress...your kingdom seems to have ruined my old one" she said smiling at her small joke, in truth she'd never even considered refusing him but it wouldn't do to not let him suffer a little bit.
"I think it will be two or three days before we'll be able to travel, none us actually managed to walk out of that fight unscathed it would seem...." a painful twinge from her arm reminding her of her own injuries "...also it will give his highness here to be coronated and find himself a suitable regent just leaving us with the problem of finding a ship and crew willing to take us north"
"I may be able to assist you with that"
Mei turned to look for the person who had spoken to find herself looking at the swordmaster who had spoken to here the previous night.
The man was young with bronzed skin and dark eyes, his hair was jet black and woven into an intricate plait that hung between his shoulder blades, offering a low bow to his king he preceded to speak in his native Jehennan which Mei translated into the common tongue for Thorin's benefit.
"My father owns a trading Dhow and i am sure he would be more than willing to accomodate yourselves....all i ask in return is that you allow me to accompany your highness as a sworn man"

Deleted User - 819397

Joshua smiled slightly. "I'm sure I can find something for you." He nodded at Mei's saying that no one got out unharmed...his left shoulder was raw from the fire the mage had shot at him, but he didn't say anything because he had been the luckiest out of all of them...complaining wouldn't help things at all. At Mei's stressing of the words your highness, he shook his head. "Joshua worked before. The same will work now. That goes for you too Thorin, and Ral and Alexandria..." He looked at the Swordmaster-in-training who had spoken up about the dhow. He had been the one to inform Mei and Thorin of Ismaire's passing. He thought for a moment, then spoke, "I wish to leave the small remainder of those who fight for our country unharmed, but if you insist, I won't refuse. However, I would ask two questions of you. First, what is your name? I didn't have the opportunity to ask it earlier, and I wish to make up for that. Second, where in your training were you when the magi took over? E'lir, Re'lar, or El'the?"

(Braet, for your benefit, I put those three in ascending order of progress...El'the is the farthest along, etc. Also, if any of you get the reference I threw into that post, kudos :) )

DeletedUser28032

"My name is Khalid your excellency and i was at Re'lar soon to start El'the when the magi attacked unfortunatley our master was struck down before we could progress any further...i am the only one out of my original class who remains though i hear that there are others wandering the sands"
Mei's heart lightened slightly upon hearing that the small handful of apprentices wasn't the thing stopping the Magi returning but as Joshua said he was probably the only fully trained swordmaster remaining.
"I will go in search of a priest to properly coronate you your excellency whilst you and your companions discuss what needs to be done"

Deleted User - 819397

"Thank you Khalid, I appreciate it." Joshua said, smiling. He then turned to Mei and Thorin. "What should we do? Ral and Alexandria are half dead, you're severely burned (he nodded at Mei) and you dislocated your leg (Thorin). I have minor burns, but I'm the best off of all of us apparently. We aren't fit to travel...what should we do?" Inwardly he scowled...this was why he wasn't good at politics...if it didn't involve action against a clear enemy he tended to fall back on laughter and joking...there wasn't any way to joke about this one, though...and he didn't feel like it either. He figured part of it was losing his mother, but the rest...he had no idea.

DeletedUser

"We have to move, the magi will be swift, and are sure to attack, we have to stir up opposition immiedietly. there is no time to lose." Thorin said. so what if he had a broken leg? that wasn't going to stop him.

DeletedUser28032

"We cannot rush...if we leave for the north now the Magi will merely retake these lands and we'll be too weak to reclaim them ourselves" with her arm as it was Mei was barely able to move it let alone cast, however just because they were currently unable to make the voyage north didn't mean that they should sit around doing nothing "Khalid spoke of others wandering the sands, send word that a new king has arisen and gather them beneath beneath our banners so that when we are finally able to leave then we're not completely defenceless" Mei stopped, she hadn't intended on making a speech and so blushed with embarassament losing all train of thought with it "Well...thats my idea anyway"
She was confident that between the two of them they would be able to train and organise what meagre army remained within these arid lands. Meanwhile Mei had plans of her own.

Deleted User - 819397

Joshua nodded. "I should finish training at least a couple of Swordmasters before we go, so they can teach the rest after I'm gone. Khalid is coming with us, so he won't work, but I can work with him on the road. However, should I die without passing on the full knowledge of our craft, then Jehanna will be doomed in the long run, regardless of how the war with the magi ends." He looked toward where Ral and Alexandria slept. "Should they have woken up yet?" he asked Mei.

DeletedUser

Squatting low against the driving snow and ice, the Northman's lodge stood defiantly against the onslaught of the freezing wind that lashed at it's windows made from stretched deer stomachs. A pair of torches sat to either side of the door, acting as a beacon for travelers that might be coming up the trail that was quickly disappearing under the driven snow.

A pair of figures lurched towards the flame in the distance. Their hunched shoulders shrugged off most of the brutal wind that played with the edges of their cloaks and chilled their bones. The awkward stumbling walk proved to any watching that the figures had been slogging through the snow for some time, for their knees wobbled with each step and their breath came ragged - billowing out in front of their mouths.

The Northman's lodge disappeared momentarily behind a copse of great pine trees and the pair were sheltered from the wind momentarily and they took solace in it. They lurched together, joining their cloaks to each other and hugged their bodies tightly together. One of the figures whispered to the other "Only a few hundred yards now. We'll make it."

The distinctively female voice of the second rang out louder then she meant it to "I'm so glad you found this place. We wouldn't have lasted the night otherwise." She ran her hands up and down his back under his roughly spun tunic, trying to rub warmth back into the knotted muscles. She felt his strong but slight hands upon her own shoulders and back, kneading heat back into her flesh.

Over the howling of the wind through the pines, the pair heard the distinct snap of a twig being stepped upon. Instantly they stiffened in each other's embrace. "You still may not, round-tops." a voice said from the darkness.

She pulled away from him and faced the darkness, pulling her hood down to reveal the pointed ears that extended from the deep black of her hair. "Show yourself, mehre." she said "Let us speak."

"Another of the people?" the voice said "I'm sorry." A figure rose from a snow bank, only visible for the hood thrown from his shoulders, revealing a similar pair of pointed ears "Those damn Northman won't let our kind into their lodge. This is the only way I can survive."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was more the pain in his ribs than the morning sun drifting through the small openings in the tent's roof that awoke Ral. His bruised ribs and numerous abrasions brought no small amount of pain to his sturdy frame. Ral did not move, however, simply opened his eyes and let his head roll to the side of his outstretched arm, the pledging silk still bound Ral and Alexandria's hands together.

Ral smiled to himself at the steady rise and fall of his lover's breast, under the blanket that warded the night's chill from her slight body. He wished not to wake her, Ral could only imagine the pain she must be feeling, if the relatively minor wounds he had sustained were causing him this much pain then sleep was a blessing for Alexandria - and her cracked ribs.

The low sound of conversation flitted across the dunes and inside the small tent they shared, Ral could not make out most of the conversation - even his ears rang with the pain. As softly as he could, Ral spit onto the sand at his bed's foot and gasped when a piece of chipped tooth sat staring at him from the ground. "So that's why my ears ring as they do." he murmured to himself. He squeezed Alexandria's hand, smiling through the pain "Thank you Mei." he said, hopefully just loud enough to carry to his companions - sitting outside.

DeletedUser28032

Mei shrugged her shoulders, she had hoped that come day break that they would hopefully stir though as of of yet it would appear that both were still out cold "They'll come round in their own time...in fact...it would appear someone is..." she'd only just heard the throaty whisper of Ral's voice as he had thanked her.
Grabbing a nearby water skin Mei crawled back into the lean-to to sit beside Ral holding out the unstoppered water skin "Welcome back to the land of the living my friend... you took quite a tumble" making a quick examination Mei quickly discovered the broken ribs and a gash in the side of his head that would require stitching "I am afraid you'll have to leave Alexandria for a little while that cuts going to need stitching and its far too dark in here...don't worry she'll be ok for a couple of minutes"
Gently leading him out into the early morning sun Mei retrieved the needle and tread from in amongst her belongings along with what was left of the mixture they'd been using to drug the bloodmage, a couple of drops would be more than enough to dull the pain without sending him back to sleep "Here sip a little of this it will dull the pain....Joshua you.....you couldn't thread this needle for me could you?" she said nodding at her bad arm, some movement had returned to it but it was still extremly painful to do so.
Once the needle had been threaded Mei made short if slightly clumsy work of stitching the gash but considering she was doing it one handed the results were pretty good.

DeletedUser

As the elf stared into Inwe's eyes, he slwoly felt his will drain. The delicate swirling tattoos that extended from her dark green eyes seemed to draw the elf in and not let go. Though he wanted to with all of his might, he found himself kneeling in the knee deep snow and laying his bow down, where it sank into the white - leaving an outline until the wind eradicated it. The elf who had been laying in ambush raised both of his hands level with his ears and waited for the beautiful elf in front of him to speak.

"Thank you, mehre, now come with us. We'll help you get into the lodge." Inwe's light voice danced across the dunes of snow and filled the elf's heart with happiness. "Tell me your name."

Before thinking about it, the elf spat his name out "Lolindir, my lady."

"It is freezing out here. Let us go into the lodge before we freeze." Inwe began to trudge once more though the snow towards the lodge, laying a hand upon Lolindir's shoulder in passing.

Lolindir smiled a tremendous smile, as he turned his back upon the second figure - still standing in the middle of the trail motionless. The moment the elf's back was turned, the second figure's hands moved with blinding speed. The cloak flared about the figure's feet and hands, as a dagger suddenly sprouted from the back of Lolindir's neck. Suddenly Lolindir could not breath, clutching at his neck in horror as his knees trembled and lost the strength to hold his body upright.

Turning, her unfathomable green eyes open wide in shock, Inwe let out a cry that was quickly carried away on the icy wind. She fell to her knees beside Lolindir, her hands clutching at the sleeve of his winter jacket, as the second figure approached the dead elf.

"Why?" was all she could mutter to him, as he knelt beside her. "Why did he have to die, Eld?"

Eld pulled his own hood back, so he could stare into Inwe's eyes. He locked her gaze in his and held her, as if she were pinned to the snow. His rounded ears and normal sized eyes marked him as human, though it was hard to make out the rest of his features in the black that was cloaking this frozen wasteland. "He threatened you." was all Eld said, before standing again - but not after grabbing the dead elf by the jacket and pulling the garment from his shoulders.

Reaching down, Eld took Inwe by the shoulder and pulled her up to stand beside him. He held her close to him, staring into her eyes - cloudy with tears for one of her people's needless death. Almost tenderly, he wrapped the dead elf's jacket about her shoulders. Her already slight frame shrunk inside Lolindir's cloak and she angrily pulled her gaze away from his.

They did not speak as they mounted the path that would lead them to the Northman's lodge.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mei's cheery face was a welcomed sight after so much darkness and Ral smiled at her. It was good to still be breathing. He reached down with his free hand and slowly unbound his hand from Alexandria's, leaving the pledging silk dangling from her hand as he stood on wobbly legs.

The sun almost blinded him, as he took his first steps in what seemed like an eternity - to stand amongst his friends and allies. They stared at him as if they had not expected him to wake, he smiled back - sitting with more than a little difficulty as Mei pushed a small bowl into his hands. The mage added a few drops to it, from the bottle she used to keep the blood mage sedated with.

Whatever hellish concoction it was almost made him dry heave, but he drank it - welcoming the numb feeling that came over his mind and body - as Mei began to sew his numerous wounds together.

With an awkward slur in his speech, Ral asked the group at large "You have been talking. What about? What happened while we were out of our minds?"

DeletedUser28032

"Well it has been decided that once we've sorted out a few things here that we're going to head to the coast and head north, Khalid here..." she said nodding towards the young apprentice "says that his father has a dhow that we could use....oh and it turns out Jushua here is royalty Isn't that so Joshua" she said in mock acusation, frowning at the rather unwilling monarch, she'd forgiven him for lying to her but it didn't mean he was going to get away with...not just yet anyway.

After completing another quick examination of Ral's wounds, binding his ribs with strips of cloth she'd managed to find before moving over to sit by Khalid "Khalid do you know where the Magi's tower stood?" the young frowned slightly uneasy about the young womans question "Yes i know where its ruin is...why do you ask?"
"I ask because i may need you to take me there sometime" who knows what knowledge could still reside within.

Deleted User - 819397

Joshua rubbed his head in a sheepish manner at Mei's mock accusatory statement. "Yeah...turns out I'm the crown prince of Jehanna..." he mumbled. Hearing Mei ask about the mages tower that had collapsed, he realized that he was still hiding Excalibur, the ancient Wind Tome that was one of the sacred Twins of Jehanna. He couldn't use it, not being a magic user, but so long as he gave permission to someone, they could use it. "Mei...could I ask you to come with me for a moment?" he asked.

DeletedUser28032

Mei looked from Joshua to the rest of the group with a look of consternation on her face, nobody had ever been pulled to one side before everything had been discussed openly with the rest of the group present "oh...ok I suppose so" she said rising to follow Joshua out of ear shot of the others "What....what is it you wish to ask me?"

Deleted User - 819397

Joshua thought for a moment, then said, "You should know that what...no...Kraem..." at a loss for words, he pulled out the cylinder that protected the Sacred Tome. "This contains one of Jehanna's most well-kept secrets, as well as half of the heart of our land. My ancestors...the founders of Jehanna, were a couple that were extremely well known for their prowess in combat. He used a sword that cut through every defense and had many mysterious powers. She wielded air magic, the signature magic of Jehanna, in ways no one had seen before or seen since. My sword, Audhulma, is the blade that helped found our land...the Tome contained within that case is the only written record of the most powerful air spell in existence, called Excalibur. I can't use magic, and we'll need all the advantages we can get. I don't know what the Tome says, but until you no longer need it to cast the spell, I want you to have it. Only the current monarch is allowed the weapons' full powers, save when they give permission...so I give you permission to use Excalibur however you wish. I only ask you not tell anyone that you have it...should it be destroyed or stolen, it cannot be replaced." He fell silent, hoping he had adequately explained everything.

DeletedUser28032

Mei couldn't help but gasp as Joshua produced the cylinder from out of his tunic made out of what appeared to be high quality porcelain with intricatley carved script covering its surface with a pair of silver end caps covered in highly detailed scrollwork causing Mei to quickly realise that the case alone would be worth a small fortune let alone what lay within.
"I...I understand...i'll keep it safe i swear to you" she said as she took hold of the tome in trembling hands, script upon the cases surface flaring bright blue as the tomes ownership if only temporary passed from Joshua to herself, a tingling sensation ran down her arms as she felt the power within.
Hiding the about her person Mei promised herself that she would find the time to examine the scroll itself once she had both the time and privacy to do so.
As the two of them turned back towards the small encampment, the smouldering remains of the hall only a little way behind them Mei paused and in a voice quiet even by her usual standards said "Thank you Joshua...you don't know how much this means to me" turning quickly so as to hide the slight blushing of her cheeks Mei started walking back towards camp she had patients to deal with and then with any luck a tower to explore.

Deleted User - 819397

Joshua couldn't help but smile at Mei's reaction...it seemed all was truly forgiven for his deception. The whole transaction put him in an unusually good mood, so despite all that he had lost in the past day, he felt truly content as he followed Mei back to the camp.

DeletedUser

The Northmen are a simple people, everything that is has a purpose there is no beauty that does not also have an edge of use. Many large towns feature dragons carved from the beams of homes - these are not for show - a razor sharp net can be hoisted between the homes to entangle and potentially disembowel the soldiers of an invading army.

The lodge itself was a long squat structure that smelled of tobacco and the copious amounts of mead consumed on the premise. A barrel filled with fish heads sat, slowly freezing, under a window and every few moments another disembodied head would sail into it, rattling as it settled into the bottom. Inwe put a delicate hand to her nose, trying to ward off the smell of rot emanating from the barrel and would have stopped in her tracks, but for the strong hands of Eld, who pushed her forward and mumbled something encouraging to her.

Eld pushed the door open and let Inwe walk through first, before ducking in out of the cold himself. The warmth of the lodge would have been uncomfortable, had they not just came in from the blowing snow and icy daggers. Both approached the giant northerner standing beside a desk to the side of the door.

The man behind the desk sucked loudly at his teeth as they approached, before spitting a great gobbet of juice to the ground, where it nearly splashed over their snow covered boots. Eld stared at the man with a flat expression, from under his hood. Both of the travelers had pulled their hoods back over their faces as they entered the lodge, better to obscure their features it had been years since their heads were desired, but old habits die hard.

"I would like a room for two." Eld growled at the keeper, who stared back at him with equal distrust.

"Who's the other one?" the keeper called over the raucous sounds coming from the large empty space used for a pair of massive kegs filled with mead.

"My daughter." Eld lied, his heart leaping to his throat "Please, we are very weary."

"Take off the hood, girl."

Inwe and Eld exchanged a long look, before the elf reached up and dropped the hood to her shoulders. Her relatively small - by elven standards - pointed ears sprung back from where the hood had kept them hidden from sight.

The entire lodge fell silent, as the word was sent through hushed whispers and rough shoulder slaps - there was an elf in their lodge. Eld pulled his own cloak from his shoulders and dropped it to the floor, his snow white hair billows around his unnaturally pale skin, pinkish eyes stared angrily about the northmen staring at them.

Eld poised both hands over the pair of short swords strapped across his back. With his thumb and forefinger he gave a slight signal to Inwe, who reached both hands into her cloak and clasped them around a small sheathed dagger at the small of her back. The sheath of the dagger was cut away at the point where blade would sit flush against leather and the elf pushed her thumb onto the edge of the weapon until blood welled from her finger.

She took in a deep breath, drawing power from the blood welling between her fingers until the swirling tattoos around her eyes almost seemed to dance under her skin. Her slight five foot body suddenly felt as hard as granite and she knew that if she wished the power of her magic could tear this entire lodge down around them, but instead she focused upon the minds of the angry northerners staring at them with weapons drawn.

"I wish for a room, innkeeper." Eld said again and this time, the keeper nodded with a blank expression on his face - lips pulled back from cracked teeth and a line of drool inched its way onto the front of his leather jerkin. Eld reached down and signed the guestbook 'Mr and Mrs Hendeer'. "Thank you, see you in the morning." he said with an tone as icy as the snow being flung against the walls of the lodge.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Mei and Joshua returned to the camp, Ral nodded at Joshua and looked him in the eyes meaningfully. He tried to communicate that he had known about his lineage, Joshua had asked the blood mage about his mother before Ral had began the interrogation that still pained the blood mage with each step he took. The thought of the blood mage, laying drooling into the sand a few feet away brought a stab of guilt to his mind, but Ral banished it - the blood mage deserved everything he got.

"The queen is dead. Your hall destroyed and your armies mostly scattered. What will you do now, Joshua?" Ral asked, tenderly feeling the new stitching in his arm.

Deleted User - 819397

"Well, we all need to recover before we head out...you and Alexandria most of all, I need to be crowned to prevent civil war" here his face twitched slightly, "and I need to finish training some of the Swordmasters so they can train the others...and once we're all set, I'll be accompanying you, just as before. Other than that...I don't know..." he trailed off, lost in thought.

DeletedUser28032

Lost in amongst his own thoughts and fears Joshua didn't notice the arrival of the swordmaster until he began to speak "My liege....the priest has arrived along with some of the more distinguished nobility...they are waiting for you"
Taking a deep breath Joshua steeled himself for what promised to a long and rather tedious ceremony, he'd known that it would happen eventually but things had moved a lot quicker than he'd originally anticipated "Very well inform my guests....my subjects that i shall be with them shortly" the swordmaster gave a low bow before disappearing over the hill back towards where the hall stood.
Rising from off of the ground Joshua quickly brushed down his tunic before looking at his assembled friends "I have to attend a ceremony its part of my coronation though the actual crowning won't happen for another few days....you're welcome to attend though I must warn you it liable to be rather dull"

"I am afraid i won't be able to join you....I have some things i need to deal with" Mei apologised sheepishly she was itching to see what remained of the tower of magi and more importantly what had survived the fire that had destroyed it.
With Khalid in the lead Mei departed for the tower at about the same time as Joshua and the others left for the hall, the sun was already high in the sky promising for another swelteringly hot day.

With much of the hall still smouldering it was decided to hold the ceremony outside, several awnings and marquee's had been erected in order to shield the majorityof the guests from the sun.
Approaching the priest, a scrawny birdlike man dressed in white robes and a golden chain that appeared much too large and heavy to hang about such a scrawny neck, Joshua knelt before him clasping the hilt of Audhulma, the priest holding out his arms hushing those gathered into silence.
The ceremony was as tiresome as he had feared as the priest intoning both religeous blessings and the virtues of his ancestors for what seemed to be an eternity to the kneeling swordmaster.
"....This burden that we place upon you is not one to be taken lightly either by yourself or your loyal subjects...if any man should question this mans right to rule let them speak now!" the priest called out to those gathered this part of the ceremony was merely for show as no monarchs right to rule had been called into question for over a century and so Joshua felt no need to worry about it which considering what happened next was rather unfortunate.
"I Salazar Silvertongue question this mans right to rule!" shocked whisperings spread throughout those assembled leaving Joshua stunned, barely capable of believing what had just happened to him "this man abandoned this kingdom long ago allowing it to fall to the magi! i see no reason why i should call him my king....I say we make him take the test"
Joshua's heart dropped as quiet murmours of agreement followed Salazars accusations "Joshua...Salazar has called your right to rule into question will you take travel to the city of the dead and take the test?"
"Yes...i shall take the test if it is what the people wish"
"very well you are to go unarmed but you may choose three people to accompany you to your destination"
"I choose my friends Ral, Thorin and Mei to accompany and witness my actions" he spoke turning to look at both Thorin and Ral for confirmation, he was also pretty sure that Mei would agree to join him once she returned from the tower of magi.
"No I am not having that, his friends are foreign to our lands and customs i wish for my son Ibn to act as a witness so no treachery my be performed"
"Very well but i still wish for Ral and Thorin if they are willing to join me?" once the witnesses had been chosen the journey to the city of the Dead would begin immediatly leaving little time for questions but Joshua promised himself that he would answer all those asked of him by his friends.

Last edited by a moderator: