The Round Man's Duel Build Guide

DeletedUser

Some inspiration have been taken from H&S's guide, guess I should give him some credit. *Hands over 20 credit*

I will not have a gear-guide, you'll have to figure that one out yourself. Keys to figuring it out is that duelling skills that you don't put skills points in yourself are mostly wasted even in gear. Exceptions are appearance and tactics, those two are useful even in moderate numbers for most players, but only if you are attacking or defending!

To start of, the skills!

Vigor: Increases damage inflicted with a melee weapon.
Toughness: Lowers your opponent’s damage melee damage, and counts as 1/2 reflex too.
Health Points: No effect in duels, but more HP helps you survive.
Dodging: Increases the chance of dodging a shot.
Reflex: Lowers your opponent’s damage ranged damage, and counts as 1/2 toughness too.
Aim: Increases the chance of successfully landing a shot.
Shooting: Increases damage inflicted with a range weapon.
Appearance: Lowers your opponent's aim when attacking, if you beat the opponents tactics.
Tactics: Lowers your opponent’s aim when defending, if you beat the opponents appearance.

Builds:

The Standard Range
Attributes:
100% Dexterity

Skills:
50% Dodge
10% Aim
10% Shooting
30% Appearance

Comments:
The build could be even better in duels if you removed the appearance and maybe some shooting and added even more dodge and aim. This would make the build even more useless for jobs thu, and you need jobs to level up. Likewise you can add more shooting/appearance for more jobs and less duels.
This is a good build to switch over from if you were a trapper early.
Appearance > Tactics because you will duel other more often than you are getting duelled yourself. Plus appearance has more synergy with shooting for jobs. Ranged duellers also get a lot of tactics from their gear late game.
If you are having trouble with resistance duellers, either remove the aim and maybe take some points from some other skills too, and increase the shooting to 30-40%. Or, you could remove all the shooting and aim to get more dodge. Aim is bad vs resistance.

Pros:
Good in duels vs all kind of opponents.
Very good when attacking.

Cons:
Can have trouble vs resistance duellers, see comments.
Weak when attacked.
Bad at jobs until very high level.

The Standard Resistance
Attributes:
100% Strength

Skills:
0% Vigor
20% Toughness
50% Reflex
30% Aim

Comments:
This build try to resist as much damage as possible from both ranged and melee opponents. It is equally good in offence and defence, and get good jobs early on. Strength as the attribute give you a lot of hit points, and because these is no (or only a small, unknown formula) luck factor in the resistance formula you wont knock yourself out very often.

Pros:
Good jobs early and mid game.
Very good for 0-motivation duelling, because:
Very high hp and its quite easy to guess the damage you are going to take from a fight.
Good vs all kinds of opponents.
Equally good attacking and defending.

Cons:
Not very impressive jobs later on.

The Anti Melee Melee (or Standard Melee)
Attributes:
100% Strength

Skills:
20% Vigor
30% Toughness
20% Dodge
30% Aim

Comments:
The plan here is to dodge and reduce the opponents damage, therefore taking minimum damage yourself. With the hp from strength you will never have to worry about being knocked out as long as you aren't attacked by ranged people.
The large amount of vigor is needed because most melee builds are strength based, meaning that they will have at least a moderate amount of toughness. Compared to the above build you do more damage, and take a bit less as long as you duel melee opponents. Beats the above build in a fight too.

Pros:
Very good vs melee.
Good jobs early and mid game.
Very good for 0-motivation duelling, because:
Very high hp and its quite easy to guess the damage you are going to take from a fight.

Cons:
Very bad vs ranged.

The Anti Range Melee (or The Green Man)
Attributes:
100% Mobility

Skills:
30% Vigor
30% Reflex
0% Dodge
40% Aim

Comments:
This build is cool because I think it's the only build that use mobility for something worthwhile while duelling. Also it's because of this build I write this whole guide.
You can use either shooting or vigor with this build, but vigor is better because:
1. Some ranged duellers get some reflex, but it is more rare that they get toughness.
2. Vigor and reflex is a better combination for jobs.

Pros:
Extra speed from being pure green (riding).
Very good vs ranged.
Good jobs early and midgame.

Cons:
Very bad vs melee.

The Anti Melee Ranged
Attributes:
100% Dexterity

Skills:
60% Toughness
30% Dodge
0% Aim
10% Shooting

Comments:
Most melee builds don't have that much dodge, so no extra aim is needed. The 10% shooting is for the toughness most melee builds have. This build is better than the Anti Melee Melee against melee, because you don't need to worry as much for his toughness. But, the melee variant still has some value because it has much more hitpoints, and get better jobs because it has more synergy with the skills in that sense.
This build could easily be modified to be good against ranged instead, just add reflex instead of toughness.

Pros:
Very good vs melee.

Cons:
Bad jobs.

I have some words to finish this:
When leveling up, don't look so much on what points you should get according to the guide, feel what you need to win more duels and look at what skills that are currently needed to unlock the next job.
Experiment with the skills, don't follow this to striktly, these builds are just guidelines.
If you have questions about the builds, please ask them here.
If you have improvments to the builds, please post them, I am not afraid of new ideas or you telling me these builds suck.
Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser21502

The Anti Range Melee (or The Green Man)
Attributes:
100% Mobility

Skills:
30% Vigor
30% Reflex
0% Dodge
40% Aim

Comments:
This build is cool because I think it's the only build that use mobility for something worthwhile while duelling. Also it's because of this build I write this whole guide.
You can use either shooting or vigor with this build, but vigor is better because:
1. Some ranged duellers get some reflex, but it is more rare that they get toughness.
2. Vigor and reflex is a better combination for jobs.

Pros:
Extra speed from being pure green (riding).
Very good vs ranged.
Good jobs early and midgame.

Cons:
Very bad vs melee.

I've tried it in the world 4 and still keep a few pictures :

[spoil]
fp3s02.jpg

24vr8lu.jpg

2z7gy7n.jpg

2qbhb12.jpg

dp74m0.jpg

6qcghx.jpg

[/spoil]

very nice against ranged fighter, but vs Melee longest in the 6th round you were dead! :nowink:

a short story about me in the world 4. after tired of being a ranged-killer, I bought indian's set and respec reflex/hp/aim into hiding. and hoping to find NP1 from treasure hunt . but what I got was aztec gold and some horses. bored no friends in the same world, I delete them when the level 63 :razz:

-English is not my main language, sorry about the spelling-

DeletedUser16628

HNS's guide is not well thought out.I use them right now and I tend to disagree.But there are a few things here that I do like and was not sure about as I combine my builds to be very good against both ranged and melee I'm interested in hearing more but you can't combine the 2 guides sexy has a ton of time into that.

DeletedUser

* I believe HNS is "him" and not "her" *

About the guide...

The Anti Melee Ranged
Attributes:
100% Dexterity

Skills:
Toughness 60%
Dodge 30%
Shooting 10%

Could you explain please: What is the point of adding Dodging when you are resistance (Toughness in this case) :huh:

DeletedUser

If you have comments, criticisms, questions, or suggestions about the builds, feel free to post, but there's nothing wrong with anyone who wants to make a guide doing so.

DeletedUser

Could you explain please: What is the point of adding Dodging when you are resistance (Toughness in this case) :huh:

To make you win even more! Resist + dodge = even less damage taken. Maybe aim could be increased instead of dodge, but I think the aim that the build has is enough.

Edit:
Why anti-builds are good:
Lets say there is 60% ranged and 40% melee duellers on a world. You see this, so you decide to go anti-ranged, the Green Man build. If you live in a big town, I guess about 2/3 of your duels will be offensive, and 1/3 defensive. If you hide your build, and the opponents don't specificity try to figure it out, the attackers will be 60% ranged, and 40% melee.
All your attacks will be vs ranged opponents, or bad opponents (builders, adventures etc.) so those you win more easily than if you had been pure resistance or without resistance. 60% of the attacks agains't you will be ranged, so those are easy too, unless they are much higher level. So:
67% offensive, better than unspecified.
33% defensive, out of those 60% (or 20% of the total amout of duels) are easier than normal.
Giving you 87% duels that are easier than normal. Isn't that great?

DeletedUser21502

or if you're tired of being The Green Man, you can reset :
Vigor to Shoot & Reflex to Tactic (defend mode/soldier) / Appearance (attack mode)
This build is good enough for killing the resistance dueler. If you have a good appereance, your opponent will be hard to hit.
shoot + appearance also great for work :D and don't forget the fort war, mobility have dodge + hiding that appropriate level. This is good for the defender. :)

DeletedUser

or if you're tired of being The Green Man, you can reset :
Vigor to Shoot & Reflex to Tactic (defend mode/soldier) / Appearance (attack mode)
This build is good enough for killing the resistance dueler. If you have a good appereance, your opponent will be hard to hit.
shoot + appearance also great for work :D and don't forget the fort war, mobility have dodge + hiding that appropriate level. This is good for the defender. :)

Why is shooting better than vigor vs resistance? Seems like a waste of money to me :)

To make the green man good vs resistance I think you should change the reflex to toughness. That way you will resist him, and he will resist you, but you will dodge a lot more bullets. The build wouldn't be ultimate against resistance, but better at least.

DeletedUser21502

I'm just giving ideas in build mobility. Good in attack and also work :)
If bored duel, try that build. At level 70 you can do the following jobs.
[spoil]Protecting the track of settlers
Evangelizing
Hunting wolves
Hunting buffalo
Selling guns to Indians
Clearing the forest
Hunting grizzly bears
Peace negotiations
Robbing settlers
Charlatan
Stealing Horses
Serving in the army
Smuggling
Mercenary work
[/spoil]

DeletedUser

HNS's guide is not well thought out.I use them right now and I tend to disagree.But there are a few things here that I do like and was not sure about as I combine my builds to be very good against both ranged and melee I'm interested in hearing more but you can't combine the 2 guides sexy has a ton of time into that.

What makes you say it's not well thought out?
I'm using that guide as a basis and I've had some impressive wins against much higher level duelers with much higher level weapons.

DeletedUser

What makes you say it's not well thought out?
I'm using that guide as a basis and I've had some impressive wins aginst much higher level duelers with much higher level weapons.

Many of the builds are just bad. Sure, they are not horrible, but thinking a second time would make no one use them. Example:

% Distribution:
Attribute Points
80% Strength
20% Mobility

Skill Points
30% Vigor
30% Dodging
40% Aim

This build wasn't made do do any resisting, it's just a bad build. The reflex and toughness from strength and mobility isn't going to do any good unless the opponent has very low vigor/reflex.

% Distribution:
Attribute Points
80% Dexterity
20% Mobility

Skill Points
55% Shooting
15% Aim
30% Dodging.

Same here, in what way is 20% mobility better than 20% extra dexterity? Just bad thinking.

DeletedUser

Well haven't tried either of those.
I'm basing my build on this :

% Distribution:
Attribute Points
70% Strength
30% Charisma

Skill Points
10% Vigor
25% Dodging
25% Aim
20% Appearance
20% Tactics

Although I have put nothing in tactics, have 20% Vigor and distributed the rest between the other 3 SP's.
Works very well for me.

DeletedUser

Well haven't tried either of those.
I'm basing my build on this :

% Distribution:
Attribute Points
70% Strength
30% Charisma

Skill Points
10% Vigor
25% Dodging
25% Aim
20% Appearance
20% Tactics

Although I have put nothing in tactics, have 20% Vigor amd distributed the rest between the other 3 SP's.
Works very well for me.

That's a decent build, but splitting up attributes give worse jobs, and tactics/appearance in that low numbers aren't going to get much jobs either. Better to put the points in aim/dodge, and be better in both offensive and defensive duelling. It's up to you really, but I don't like that build because the toughness from the strength is mostly wasted, and tactics/appearance is worse than aim/dodge except for jobs.

The thing with beating other people that are higher level is that they may have ****ed up their build much more. I know some ranged duellers that want jobs so badly that they put almost all their points in appearance and shooting. They win a decent amount of duels when attacking and meet bad people, but lose a lot if the opponent is specced for duels or when attacked.

DeletedUser

I'm not too concerned about jobs, I have Silver Mining and Evangelizing, I know I'll struggle to get decent luck jobs.
I level up by dueling with high motivation.
If I need to do jobs with good rewards from quests I buy the right gear or re-skill.

Can't say I've noticed being beaten in duels by players that I think I should have definitely won against. The only time I struggle is against pure resistance duelers but I can beat them if I get the dodging stance right.

I have got some AP's in Mobility and Dexterity for now otherwise I would have no decent jobs but I'll be moving them at a later date.

DeletedUser

The thing about duelling is that there is quite a lot of luck involved, so you can win or lose individual duels with any build. A good build however will win more builds in the long run.

DeletedUser

The thing about duelling is that there is quite a lot of luck involved, so you can win or lose individual duels with any build. A good build however will win more builds in the long run.

And that's exactly what I do...........

DeletedUser

I want to try a build like this:
100% charisma
33% vigor
33% aim
33% dodge
All Sp from quest go to vigor
The reason i choose vigor is u will have a better cloths bonus for attacking.
Rate it :)