The great flood

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Alright. It's time to debunk Hellstromm's post with facts.

1. The ark was probably bigger than we realize. It was probably the size of an entire continent. Remember it took Noah almost 400 years to build!

2. God provided the food, therefore all was well.

3. God created the water and then took it back.

4. Because the dinosaurs were sinners, just like the people.

5. Well, it was the biggest right after the great flood, but in order to keep the ark from being discovered, God shrank it.

6. God moved them back across the world.

7. God made them grow.

8. God.

9. Just because science says that god is wrong, does not mean that he's wrong. You see, god created science, or maybe it was satan in an effort to fool us. God works in mysterious ways, so trying to say that we can measure his influence is like saying that he didn't create science, which he obviously did.

Yes but, how did the Ark float when something of that size and proportion, not to mention the weght it would have would sink it, even survive the flood?

Also, where would you find that much wood while in that select area of the world! It's not like Noah had a chinook, did he?

I don't believe in the Ark, it invalidates my videogame opinions, therefore I disagree with the theory of a giant wooden ship. Now, alien materials and I might be more likley to believe.

DeletedUser

Yes but, how did the Ark float when something of that size and proportion, not to mention the weght it would have would sink it, even survive the flood?

It was a boat and boats float, duh.

Also, where would you find that much wood while in that select area of the world!
God helped Noah with the wood by creating more trees and making them grow back faster after they were chopped down.

DeletedUser

It is really quite useless to argue with the bible since it has nothing to do with facts, only faith. One who believes in god can simply say god did it and there isn't really anything you say to that. Sure you can bring up things like science, logic, or common sense, but its called blind faith for a reason.

DeletedUser

Sarcasm suits you well doesn't it Divest.

I knew this would turn into another one of those Is God real or isn't God real type of threads.

You may shake my beliefs in a lot of areas but my belief in God is unshakeable. And I won't argue religion with you or anyone else. :)

DeletedUser

actually the bible has alot of facts and those facts have been found to be accurate.

DeletedUser

actually the bible has alot of facts and those facts have been found to be accurate.

Gone With The Wind also has a lot of historical factual information within it, too...

The problem with the "facts" of the Bible which have been proven true are that they are over things like what people were wearing, customs, places, food, etc... Nothing of religious significance in the Bible has ever been proven true.

DeletedUser

Sarcasm suits you well doesn't it Divest.

I knew this would turn into another one of those Is God real or isn't God real type of threads.

You may shake my beliefs in a lot of areas but my belief in God is unshakeable. And I won't argue religion with you or anyone else. :)
All I'm trying to say was that this thread was basically asking everyone completely misguided and illogical to reveal themselves, and you have been the only person thus far to do it. I don't care to take away the baby blanket you have pulled over your eyes.

DeletedUser

I also believe in satan and in heaven and hell. Do I have proof any of these exist ... No. But then with faith you don't need proof. ;):)

DeletedUser

I also believe in satan and in heaven and hell. Do I have proof any of these exist ... No. But then with faith you don't need proof. ;):)
I find this to be the basis for most of the crap you spew out, so again, I'm not surprised. Reading your other posts, it makes complete sense that you would say something like this. I'm just thankful that you aren't in charge of anything other than feeding way too many cats.

DeletedUser

You are a very rude young man.

You know very little about me and what I am in charge of or what I do, yet you seem to think you know me well enough to make crude judgements about me.

DeletedUser

Looks like someone just turned the table on Divest.

But just like Smitten said, not everything is explainable by logic and the scientific method. To say that our society can explain everything with science would be very arrogant.

DeletedUser

You can't argue with atheists because of their arrogance of attitude, prejudice of heart, and narrowness of mind. :dry:

DeletedUser

You can't argue with people wrapped in the holy light because of their intolerance of any hard facts that refute their claims based on stories, refusal to have reason over faith and general attitude of righteous and moral superiority.

DeletedUser

You can't argue with Christians because of their willful ignorance.

Faith is for fools. You have faith there's a god, I have faith I'm going to win the lottery. We're both fools.

Edit: Faith doesn't move mountains, it makes the devout believe the mountain doesn't exist.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-c013.html

Could Noah's Ark really hold all the animals that were supposed to be preserved from Flood?
A growing number of scientists believe that geological evidence indicates our world has undergone a catastrophic flood. This is causing them to question whether or not the biblical account of Noah's ark could be true. Many people are rereading the Biblical description of the Ark to ascertain the feasibility of such a vessel to fulfill its designated purpose in light of present day knowledge of both zoology and our present day knowledge of shipbuilding.

How big was Noah's Ark?

"And God said unto Noah… Make thee an ark of gopher wood; rooms shalt though make in the ark, and thou shalt pitch it within and without with pitch. And this is the fashion which thou shalt make it of… the length of the ark shall be three hundred cubits, the breadth of it fifty cubits, and the height of it thirty cubits. A window shalt thou make in the ark, and in a cubit shalt thou finish it above; and the door of the ark shalt thou set in the side therof; with lower, second, and third stories shalt thou make it." (Gen. 6:14-16)

Most Hebrew scholars believe the cubit to have been no less than 18 inches long [45.72 centimeters]. This means that the ark would have been at least 450 feet long [137.16 meters], 75 feet wide [22.86 meters] and 45 feet high [13.716000000000001 meters]. Noah's Ark was said to have been the largest sea-going vessel ever built until the late nineteenth century when giant metal ships were first constructed. Its length to width ratio of six to one provided excellent stability on the high seas. In fact, modern shipbuilders say it would have been almost impossible to turn over. In every way, it was admirably suited for riding out the tremendous storms in the year of the flood.

These dimensions are especially interesting when compared to those given in the mythical, Babylonian account of the Ark. Here the ark is described as a perfect cube, extending 120 cubits in all directions and with nine decks. Such a vessel would spin slowly round and round in the water and from the standpoint of stability, would be a disaster.

Was the ark big enough to hold the number of animals required?

The total available floor space on the ark would have been over 100,000 square feet, which would be more floor space than in 20 standard-sized basketball courts.

The total cubic volume would have been 1,518,000 cubic feet [462,686.4 cubic meters] --that would be equal to the capacity of 569 modern railroad stock cars.

Now comes the question, how many land dwelling air breathing animals would have had to be taken aboard the ark to survive the flood?

According to Ernest Mayr, America's leading taxonomist, there are over 1 million species of animals in the world.

However, the vast majority of these are capable of surviving in water and would not need to be brought aboard the ark. Noah need make no provision for the 21,000 species of fish or the 1,700 tunicates (marine chordates like sea squirts) found throughout the seas of the world, or the 600 echinoderms including star fish and sea urchins, or the 107,000 mollusks such as mussels, clams and oysters, or the 10,000 coelenterates like corals and sea anemones, jelly fish and hydroids or the 5,000 species of sponges, or the 30,000 protozoans, the microscopic single-celled creatures.

In addition, some of the mammals are aquatic. For example, the whales, seals and porpoises. The amphibians need not all have been included, nor all the reptiles, such as sea turtles, and alligators. Moreover, a large number of the arthropods numbering 838,000 species, such as lobsters, shrimp, crabs and water fleas and barnacles are marine creatures. And the insect species among arthropoda are usually very small. Also, many of the 35,000 species of worms as well as many of the insects could have survived outside the Ark.

How many animals needed to be brought aboard?

Doctors Morris and Whitcomb in their classic book,The Genesis Flood state that no more than 35,000 individual animals needed to go on the ark. In his well documented book, Noah's Ark: A Feasibility Study, John Woodmorappe suggests that far fewer animals would have been transported upon the ark. By pointing out that the word “specie” is not equivalent to the “created kinds” of the Genesis account, Woodmorappe credibly demonstrates that as few as 2,000 animals may have been required on the ark. To pad this number for error, he continues his study by showing that the ark could easily accommodate 16,000 animals.)

But, let's be generous and add on a reasonable number to include extinct animals. Then add on some more to satisfy even the most skeptical. Let's assume 50,000 animals, far more animals than required, were on board the ark, and these need not have been the largest or even adult specimens.

Remember there are really only a few very large animals, such as the dinosaur or the elephant, and these could be represented by young ones. Assuming the average animal to be about the size of a sheep and using a railroad car for comparison, we note that the average double-deck stock car can accommodate 240 sheep. Thus, three trains hauling 69 cars each would have ample space to carry the 50,000 animals, filling only 37% of the ark. This would leave an additional 361 cars or enough to make 5 trains of 72 cars each to carry all of the food and baggage plus Noah's family of eight people. The Ark had plenty of space.

The bigger problem would have been the construction of the Ark. But the Bible indicates that Noah did this under Divine guidance and there is no reason to believe he did not hire additional workmen.

How were the animals gathered?

Another enormous problem some have posed is the problem of gathering specimens of each kind of air-breathing land animal and bringing them aboard the Ark. However, the Genesis account indicates that God gathered the animals and brought them to Noah inside the ark two by two. Some have suggested this may have involved the origin of animal migratory instincts or, at least, an intensification of it. We also know that most animals possess the ability to sense danger and to move to a place of safety.

How could Noah's family take care of all those animals?

Once aboard, many have suggested that Noah's problems really began, with only 8 people to feed and water, to provide fresh air and sanitation for the huge menagerie of animals for a total of 371 days. However, a number of scientists have suggested that the animals may have gone into a type of dormancy. It has been said that in nearly all groups of animals there is at least an indication of a latent ability to hibernate or aestivate. Perhaps these abilities were supernaturally intensified during this period. With their bodily functions reduced to a minimum, the burden of their care would have been greatly lightened.

Conclusion

It is evident, when all the facts are examined that there is no scientific evidence that the biblical account of Noah's ark is a myth or fable. The facts support the view that Noah's ark was large enough to carry the number of animals required to repopulate the earth after the flood and that Noah and his family were capable of caring for the animals during their time on the Ark.

The flood of Noah's day was a universal judgment of sin. God destroyed the world that existed at that time because of their wickedness. When we look at nature, with its testimonies to the flood, we are viewing a reminder that God does judge sin. It is also a reminder that God will save those who have faith in Him from judgment. God promised that He would never again destroy the world with water, but that a future judgment would take place. Jesus Christ came into the world to die for our sins and to restore man's relationship with God, so that we need not fear His judgment.

Noah pleaded with the people of his day to have faith in God. They would not listen and the door to the ark was closed. Now, Christ is calling unto the world to once again have faith in God. Will you answer His calling and be saved from future judgment? The decision is yours.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Noah's_Ark

Genesis 6:13-22 (God's blueprints)
Then God said to Noah, “The end of all flesh has come before Me; for the earth is filled with violence because of them; and behold, I am about to destroy them with the earth. Make for yourself an ark of gopher wood; you shall make the ark with rooms, and shall cover it inside and out with pitch. This is how you shall make it: the length of the ark three hundred cubits, its breadth fifty cubits, and its height thirty cubits. You shall make a window for the ark, and finish it to a cubit from the top; and set the door of the ark in the side of it; you shall make it with lower, second, and third decks. Behold, I, even I am bringing the flood of water upon the earth, to destroy all flesh in which is the breath of life, from under heaven; everything that is on the earth shall perish. But I will establish My covenant with you; and you shall enter the ark—you and your sons and your wife, and your sons’ wives with you. And of every living thing of all flesh, you shall bring two of every kind into the ark, to keep them alive with you; they shall be male and female. Of the birds after their kind, and of the animals after their kind, of every creeping thing of the ground after its kind, two of every kind will come to you to keep them alive. As for you, take for yourself some of all food which is edible, and gather it to yourself; and it shall be for food for you and for them.” Thus Noah did; according to all that God had commanded him, so he did.

Now I know most of you won't bother to read any of what I've post and most won't even bother to click on the links. If you don't want to believe in God and have faith in what he can and can't do then that's your choice. I choose to believe in God and I choose to have faith in him. Now if that makes me a fool in a lot of your eyes, so be it. Unlike some here I don't judge people on their beliefs or lack of belief. I have friends on both sides of the faith issue and we have long ago agreed to disagree. Sometimes thats what friends have to do.

DeletedUser

Smitten that does not make you a fool in my eyes. I think you are a lovely person and I certainly don't mean to attack you or your husband personally in any of my posts. I can only speak for myself. We can certainly agree to disagree.

DeletedUser

Faith gives us something to hope for :)

Elmyr, you say only a fool has faith, but he is a happy fool. If a fool loses the lottery, then he knows there's always next time!

And when someone believes in god, they have choices of what to do to get in their hoped-for heaven, they have choices which is different from the lottery.

So in a sense, Religion is a Lifestyle instead, not just an undeterminable diceroll. But, different religions have different views, so some overrule this statement. All in all, you can't tell someone how to live their life, so go about your own business and accomplish your own primary objectives and live life to its fullest :D

DeletedUser

Smitten that does not make you a fool in my eyes. I think you are a lovely person and I certainly don't mean to attack you or your husband personally in any of my posts. I can only speak for myself. We can certainly agree to disagree.

Thank you. That's really all any of us can do, speak for ourselves. The fool part was directed mainly at Elmyrs statement
Faith is for fools.
:)
I learned along time ago that we have to stand up for what we believe in as no one is going to do it for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.