Terrorism

DeletedUser

Cults with extreme beliefs that arm themselves to the teeth,

In Texas we call that Well Armed Christian Organization. Or What A Cook Off or We Aren't Coming Out :)

DeletedUser

T.E.R.R.O.R.I.S.T.
T.E.R.R.O.R.I.S.M

Thriving Extremist Revolutionary Radical Of Realistic Ignorant Spiritual Themes

Thriving Extremist Reactions Radical Of Realistic Ignorant Spiritual Manifesto's

DeletedUser

well i just think that no matter who the terrorists are, (as i have been reading the discussions above, ) its always the innocents who get hurt ... :(

Most people in south Asian countries especially the ones living in larger metros do have fear in them that some day a when they are watching a movie, or just out for a drive, or at work etc , wont reach home that day :(

Terrorism is really a sad reality that all of us face, it can be in any form and by anyone driven by the society itself to become a terrorist, but an act which hurts someone who is unconcerned with the situation is wrong and done in bad taste .. :(

DeletedUser

Most people in south Asian countries especially the ones living in larger metros do have fear in them that some day a when they are watching a movie, or just out for a drive, or at work etc , wont reach home that day :(
And the government itself, or police, in many of those same south Asian countries, could very well be the culprits in their demise.

Don't confuse the title of terrorism with acts of oppression.

DeletedUser

Only the snazzy terrorists do!

Anybody seen the show called Whale Wars? It is a bout a group of activists who "terrorize" Japanese whaling/research vessels. The throw pungent vials on their decks to make the area inhospitable, they have rammed the other ships coming very close to a major catastrophe by possible sinking of the vessels in water that would kill a human in minutes, and they even harassed a vessel that was searching for a man who had fallen overboard. To me, these people are terrorists even though they believe in what they are doing and only want to save the whales. In their actions to save these critters they are endangering human lives. It is a very debatable topic though. Anyway, just curious if anyone else watches the show because it seems to me it pertains to this topic on some level.

I watch that whale wars show every now and then just hoping one of those eco-terrorists get harpooned. Fine, won't let us hunt whales, we will hunt you instead. Go Richard Connell on your ass.

Back on topic. When one is trying to decide whether or not terrorism can be justified they must look at how one quantifies the value of a human life. Take the bombing of japan for example. Do you feel the lives of thousands of Japanese civilians is worth more or less than the possibly hundreds of thousands of American and Japanese soldiers that would have died in a full scale invasion. Me personally, I feel even just one civilian is worth more than an entire army, because a soldier has made a choice to fight knowing full well what the cost may be. Whereas a civilian may just be minding there own business and may not even support the war. And that is why I think our army should be completely comprised of snipers. Less chance for collateral damage.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

well i just think that no matter who the terrorists are, (as i have been reading the discussions above, ) its always the innocents who get hurt ... :(

How innocent are they?

Let's say a society practices slavery against a certain ethnic group, or just likes to torture and kill them. You are a member of the ethnic group being targeted. One day, you are on your own plot of land, farming and being a productive member of your society, the next day, you are kicked off your land and a person of the ruling class owns all your property. Is the person that is now living on your land really all that "innocent"? Or, are they a valid target?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

On that same note, if you vote a President into office, and he initiates an unjust war, does that make you innocent, or are you just as culpable for having voted him into office? And, if you believe you are innocent, than is that President innocent, because he's not actually fighting the war? And, if you believe he is guilty, does that make a soldier innocent, for volunteering to be in the military, and thus participating in the war, "while" it is ongoing?

Exactly what you define to be innocent can be stretched to unimaginable levels, but so too can you stretch culpability.

DeletedUser

Evil belongs in the eyes of the beholder, but just look at the word: "Terror-ism". A pure terrorist would be somebody who causes acts of terror and violence JUST to cause terror. I tend to think of Muslim extremists as terrorists, but technically, they are crusaders, since they are doing this because they think it is a way of honoring Allah. Same situation with other "terrorists".

DeletedUser

wasnt gonna post in this section, but then again..
guys let me tell you talking abt terrorism, glorifying it or even rationalizing it is easy when you have just seen the results on a television or read it in the papers.
Trust me when you experience it first hand, feel the blast, hear nothing at first, and then the sudden noises comes in, hear the screams, see body parts scattered all over, see a 18-20 year old college kids blasted away to kingdom kong in front of your eyes, it scars you for life. You start to wonder what makes you so special that you have been saved when abt 50% of the guys who were with you are dead.
and then comes the nightmares and the every small noise startles you, and after which every act of terrorism you see over the tele or hear abt it or read in the newspaper makes you shiver..

DeletedUser

I don't see how this changes anything I've personally said previously in this thread.

DeletedUser

john, what i meant was simple it depends from the perspective you look at.
and my post wasnt meant to change what anybody might have said or meant, it is post based on personal experience.

DeletedUser

john, what i meant was simple it depends from the perspective you look at.
and my post wasnt meant to change what anybody might have said or meant, it is post based on personal experience.

Wich has been one of my main points from the very beginning.
If I was to experience such a thing, and survive, I am very sure my thoughts around terrorist acts wouldn't change much.

I would be scarred for life, but my previous statements still stand.
Terrorism can always be justified by the terrorist.

DeletedUser

guys let me tell you talking abt terrorism, glorifying it or even rationalizing it is easy when you have just seen the results on a television or read it in the papers.
Trust me when you experience it first hand, feel the blast, hear nothing at first, and then the sudden noises comes in, hear the screams, see body parts scattered all over, see a 18-20 year old college kids blasted away to kingdom kong in front of your eyes, it scars you for life. You start to wonder what makes you so special that you have been saved when abt 50% of the guys who were with you are dead.
and then comes the nightmares and the every small noise startles you, and after which every act of terrorism you see over the tele or hear abt it or read in the newspaper makes you shiver..

Is there any difference in what you'd feel if it were a bomb that was dropped from an airplane from a government that legally declared war as opposed to a group of terrorists that set off a bomb?

DeletedUser

If you were referring to me mentioning the Muslims as "crusaders" I wasn't trying to glorify them. Crusader just means that somebody is fighting for a religious belief, and in my opinion, crusaders are always bad. Al Qaeda and the Catholics who fought in the Crusades are fighting for religion, they just aren't the same people or of the same faith. While I refer to a Muslim extremist as a crusader, I feel no different for them than if they were what I call a terrorist.

DeletedUser

Is there any difference in what you'd feel if it were a bomb that was dropped from an airplane from a government that legally declared war as opposed to a group of terrorists that set off a bomb?

i dont know what i would feel adelei... becoz i havent been on a receiving end of being in war torn country and being bombed.. whereas what i posted was exactly my emotions, i went through three years back, and it took me a load of time to get over it.

If you were referring to me

nope was meant in general,

DeletedUser

What was the terrorist attack? Do you live in the US or a different country?

DeletedUser

How things affect you does not change the definition of the actions, it just changes the type of medication you'll be prescribed. ;)

Aspirin for me (because i'm tough an' ornery), anti-psychotics for Neo (because he's soft an' squishy).