Resolved Tactics, useless ?

DeletedUser

Im soldier in one world and have like 85 in tactis+ the char bonus still a lvl 37 duelist manage to hit on me 9 of 10 hits. I think tactics is a worthless skill. and im lvl 46

What do u think ?

DeletedUser

The one who attacked you probably has a very high appearance, higher than your tactics. :)

DeletedUser

or you may have no dodge and he has high aim/appearance

or you happened to be in the wrong dodge stance.

always a few duels that make you scratch your head

DeletedUser

Not useless. However, tactics can be made ineffective if the user has not combined and balanced it with other dueling skills.

Antjest

Tactics/appearance are useless(ineffective) against resister duelers. Dueling them, only aim and dodging/shooting skills counts.

DeletedUser

Tactics/appearance are useless(ineffective) against resister duelers. Dueling them, only aim and dodging/shooting skills counts.
Disagree. Generally, hardcore resistance duelers will have aim as a necessity, not priority. Also, they will have zero dodge and little appearance. Before I re-spec'd, I was a dodge/tactics dueler. Many times I was able to defend vs. resistance duelers so they scored no hits. That was around level 60-70 and my tactics was about 89 raw, higher with gear and soldier bonus. 2 ways to beat resistance, shoot/cut through it (shooting/vigor) or don't let them hit you (dodge/tactics OR dodge/appearance).

Red Falcon

My opinion on dueling is this: If you want to be a good dueler and win often, you need to have all of your dueling skills at a reasonably high level. If you have all of your dueling skills at a high level and not just some of them, then chances are, you will win more duels more often. But do not forget to have a good set of dueling clothes to go along with your skills!

DeletedUser

My opinion on dueling is this: If you want to be a good dueler and win often, you need to have all of your dueling skills at a reasonably high level. If you have all of your dueling skills at a high level and not just some of them, then chances are, you will win more duels more often. But do not forget to have a good set of dueling clothes to go along with your skills!
Respectfully disagree.

If you skill all your dueling skills to as high a level as possible you will be a below average dueler and lose more often than not against duelers of similar level or higher (unless you buy a lot of skills or your opponent also skills like you).

Hypothetical example: Two level 60 duelers engage in a duel...

Dueler #1, attacker (60AP/180SP)
STR 0
MOB 0, dodge 60
DEX 60, aim 60, shooting 120
CHA 0, appearance 60

Dueler #2, defender (60AP/180SP)
STR 0, toughness 42
MOB 20, reflex 43, dodge 43
DEX 20, aim 43, shooting 43
CHA 20, tactics 43, appearance 43

Assuming stance, aim, weapons and clothing are effective and equal(ish), dueler #2 is going to have his or her arse plowed by dueler #1. Make dueler #1 the defender and switch appearance to tactics and you'll get the same result most of the time.

Why? Dueler #1 is narrowly specialized in ranged attack, dueler #2 just doesn't have enough points in the right places to be effective.

Not including equipment, the appearance will reduce dueler #2's aim by 17 down to 26. Dueler #2 now has an aim score each round of 5-31 (ave 18) vs. dueler #1's dodge score each round of 5-65 (ave 35). That means that even if dueler #1 is very unlucky and has set his/her stance to match dueler #2's aim, dueler #2 will probably still miss every round.

Dueler #1 will hit frequently because their aim score is 5-65 (ave 35) and dueler #2's dodge score is a paltry 5-48 (ave 26.5), chances are good dueler #1 will hit every round. Washout. But wait, what about the reflex/toughness? Don't expect big results there either. Reflex + 1/2 toughness = 64 total resistance score. Not enough to affect 120 shooting.

So there is no hope for poor dueler #2, restart or re-spec.

My point is, intelligent specialization of your dueling build is the key to success in dueling. An aspiring dueler should decide what kind of dueling matches their play style (attacking, defending, melee, ranged, dodging, resistance, etc.) and then specialize their build to maximize effectiveness.
:)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser30997

I have a question. Just how important is the resistance ? I have a friend with Golden Saber (101-149 dmg) and around 100 vigor. And when he attacks or defends, almost all enemies receive only 30-40 dmg ! How come ?

DeletedUser

If that is in world 12, then no wonder. That world is full of resistance soldiers. Resistance is important only in minimizing the damage taken. The more resistance they have, the less damage your friend will make. And that means that no matter how many times your friend hits compared to his opponents, he can easily lose because he doesn't make enough damage. He can lose a duel by landing 4 hits and only taking one hit, just because the opponent's resistance is to strong. Tell him to increase his vigor. :)

DeletedUser

I have a question. Just how important is the resistance ? I have a friend with Golden Saber (101-149 dmg) and around 100 vigor. And when he attacks or defends, almost all enemies receive only 30-40 dmg ! How come ?
Resistance is critically important to resistance duelers, totally useless to anyone else.

Here's how they're doing that to your friend...

I'm assuming your friend is a melee dodger. He's skilling STR, vigor, aim, and dodge. You say he attacks and defends so unknown what his tactics/appearance situation is, I'll assume none.

Level 60 hypothetical melee dodger (60AP/180SP)
STR 60, vigor 120
MOB 0, dodge 60
DEX 0, aim 60
CHA 0

The melee resistance guys are skilling something like this...

Level 60 melee resistance (60AP/180SP)
STR 60, toughness 120
MOB 0, reflex 60
DEX 0, aim 60
CHA 0

Resistance score vs. melee is toughness + 1/2 reflex, in this case 120 + 30 = 150.

This number is compared to the opponent's vigor, in this case 120.

Since the resistance score > your buddy's vigor, all your buddy's attacks do less damage.

So, Duduie is right, he can strip his dodge and aim down to 40 each and lift his vigor to 160. That's one way.

Or you can strip vigor down to (this is going to sound crazy) 60 and boost either tactics (if he likes to defend) or appearance (if he likes to attack). If he wears appropriate clothing, he can reduce the average resistance dueler to a blindfolded 6 year old trying to hit a pinata.

DeletedUser5597

I bet I can beat all the resistance duelers tthat hit me after I hit level 80 on w1. And for the one that started the post: tactics without dodging=just a skill to do jobs

DeletedUser

I bet I can beat all the resistance duelers tthat hit me after I hit level 80 on w1. And for the one that started the post: tactics without dodging=just a skill to do jobs
If they are resistance and you are all tactics, and they hit you... then you've probably lost the duel... ;)