Skills for being a great duelist

DeletedUser21816

We all know the skills Vigor Toughness Reflex Dodging Aiming Shooting Tactics Appearance are the skills that make you either a good or a bad duelist. Either with melee weapon or firearm.

And the quests from the Sheriff:
Duel tactics (Paddy the bulldog)

Sheriff John Fitzburn: I heard that you fought Unforgiven. Not bad! But you still have a lot to learn about duels. A good dueler has to train a lot. It makes a big difference if you are using a melee weapon or a firearm. If you are using a melee weapon you need a lot of vigor to cause much damage. When using a firearm you need high shooting skills. Vigor won't help you when you use a missile weapon and the other way around.
Being trained well is just as important to defend yourself during a duel. You need high reflexes to react well to firearm attacks and you need to be rather tough to tolerate melee weapon hits.
Right now I have Paddy in my jail cell. Paddy is a rather stupid guy. He loves to get drunk and pick fights. You can let him out and challenge him to a duel. I'm sure he won't refuse!

Hint: Paddy the bulldog is a redheaded, broad-shouldered Irishman. A number of scars show that he's not had the most relaxed life so far. He seems to be a very tough cookie.

Duel tactics (Matthew the Snake)

Sheriff John Fitzburn: Paddy told his brother about your fights. He thinks he can beat you in a duel.
I have a few more tips for you. When challenging someone in another town it's important to intimidate your opponent. He should be scared from the second he sees you. Try to look dark and mysterious. Your appearance will unsettle him and he won't be able to concentrate on his attacks. If you are challenged by another player you won't be able to intimidate your opponent, so your appearance doesn't matter. But in that case you should really have a good tactical plan for the duel. Decide where to stand to have your opponent blinded by the sun or block his path so he might trip. It's the little things that count. A high tactic skill is very important when you are being challenged.

Hint: Matthew the snake is very different from his brother. He's thin and artistic. I'm sure you've seen him around town. Right now he's playing around with a coin, very impressive how good his reactions are.

Depending on the melee weapon and vigor you have you do a lot of damage at your opponent, when dueling with melee. Firearm and Shooting, when using firearm.
Reflex is used to counter the firearm damage and toughness to counter the melee weapon duelist.
But what skills are best used to be able to hit your opponent more? Aiming, or is it appearance for attack and tactics for defense? Do reflex and/or toughness also count into this equation?

DeletedUser

not an expert dueler but i think it is aim, and appearance decreases the aim skill if i have less then tactics in attack.

DeletedUser

If you use reflex and toughness, putting points in dodging and tactics is a waste.
To hit more often: aim and appearance
To dodge more often: dodging and tactics
To hit hard: vigor/shooting
To avoid being hit hard: reflex and toughness
When you have high enough reflex and toughness it doesn't matter how many times you do get hit. They all sum up to very little HP taken from you.

DeletedUser

Isn't appearance used by the attacker for both aiming and dodging, and tactics used by the defender for both actions?

DeletedUser

I have read that. That's why I asked my question, 'cause that's not what Duduie said.

Slygoxx

Personally, if a defender's tactics is a lot higher than your appearance, I would invest points in appearance. If they are roughly equal, I'd put points into aim. But that's just my 2 cents ;)

DeletedUser

Isn't appearance used by the attacker for both aiming and dodging, and tactics used by the defender for both actions?
Wiki doesn't say that. Nobody knows for sure how it works, but here's what I think (I am not saying I am completely right):
Attack hit chance: appearance and aim
Attack hit avoidance: dodging
Defense hit chance: aim
Defense hit avoidance: tactics and dodging

DeletedUser

"If the tactic skill of the defender is higher than the appearance skill of the attacker, the attackers attack value goes down. If it is lower, the attack value of the defender goes down."

So if my appearance is higher than my opponent's tactics (when I'm the attacker), then it's harder for him to place a shot. If his tactics are higher, then it's harder for me to hit him. So they don't affect dodging, but they affect aim. And lowering my opponents attack (aiming) value would have the same effect as raising my defense (dodging) value.

Right?

DeletedUser

It might be a myth, but one version is: 2 tactics = 1 aim, 1 aim = 1 dodge, 2 appearance = 2 dodge.
This means that lets say you attack someone with 10 tactics over your appearance. The tactics then start lowering your aim, but 10 tactics will lower 5 aim. Is one version, not sure if is true, not sure if anybody cracked this. It is not revealed by the developers and we can only speculate how dueling skills work.
Aim and dodge are mysterious and there is a lot of luck involved in those 2 skills.

DeletedUser26701

what does it mean 2 appearance= 2 dodge?
1 appearance = 1 dodge it's the same no? or 2 appearance= 1 aim?
and 1 appearance = 1 tactics?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

i was wondering, if i am not using any firearms do i still need aim?

DeletedUser

"If the tactic skill of the defender is higher than the appearance skill of the attacker, the attackers attack value goes down. If it is lower, the attack value of the defender goes down."

So if my appearance is higher than my opponent's tactics (when I'm the attacker), then it's harder for him to place a shot. If his tactics are higher, then it's harder for me to hit him. So they don't affect dodging, but they affect aim. And lowering my opponents attack (aiming) value would have the same effect as raising my defense (dodging) value.

Right?
Right on points 1, 2, and 3. The last point is right only if appearance and tactics are not random numbers like aim and dodge. If they are random (and no one knows for sure) then you are right. But, if appearance and tactics are set values and the difference between the attacker and defender are applied in full to the aim score, then no. In the later case boosting appearance or tactics would pay off more than simply increasing dodge.

Antjest

Right?

Not completely right. Since dodging is luck based, you don't need any appearance/tactics if you are resister dueler. You will hit 2-4 times with enough aim and you will reduce damage done to you with reflex/toughness (work always - not luck dependant).

The way you described works only when two apperance/tactics duelers are dueling.

DeletedUser

Antjest, you're right that resistance duelers don't need appearance/tactics. But the luck based nature of dodging is irrelevant. Another player's appearance/tactics affects resistance duelers just the same as anyone else, which is to reduce their aim. Resistance duelers generally skill aim as a necessity, not a priority. Generally, if a resistance dueler can't hit, especially in attack, they can't win. High enough tactics/appearance (well balanced with other dueling skills) can reduce a resistance dueler to a loser.

DeletedUser22685

Appearance as a resistance dueler is more important than tactics. This is because many players don't have a great amount of tactics so even a small amount of appearance will help since it comes into play when higher than the opposition's tactics. Appearance from clothing bonuses is generally sufficient.

However, any dueler that attacks you will generally have high appearance (unless they're resistance) so it will take a lot of tactics to make a difference, so you don't want to waste all those skill points.

DeletedUser

But what skills are best used to be able to hit your opponent more? Aiming, or is it appearance for attack and tactics for defense? Do reflex and/or toughness also count into this equation?
Your chance to hit in any given round is determined solely by your aim score.

Your aim score per round is a random number between 6 and your aim score +5. If your aim score were 50, your aim score per round of a duel could be anything from 6 - 55.

If you are attacking and your opponent's tactics is higher than your appearance, then the difference of those two numbers is subtracted from your aim. Example: You are attacking in a duel. Your appearance is 50 and your opponent's tactics is 60, your aim is reduced by 10.

If you are defending and your opponent's appearance is higher than your tactics, then the difference of those two numbers is subtracted from your aim. Example: You are defending in a duel. Your tactics is 50 and your opponent's appearance is 60, your aim is reduced by 10.

Reflex and toughness do not affect your chance to hit. Rather they act together to reduce damage received from a hit.

If you are hit with a ranged weapon, then your total resistance number is your reflex score + 1/2 your toughness.

If you are hit with a melee weapon, then your total resistance number is your toughness + 1/2 your reflex.

Your resistance number is compared to your opponent's shooting (if they are using a ranged weapon) or vigor (if they are using a melee weapon).

(The following just is my theory, not proven) The damage received will be reduced by 2x the percentage difference between those two numbers. Example: An opponent hits you with a ranged weapon during a duel. Their shooting score is 100. Your reflex is 90 and your toughness is 70. 90 + 35 (half of 70) = 125. The difference is 25, or 25% in your favor. Multiply by 2 and you enjoy a 50% reduction in damage.

I hope this answers your questions.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: