Sheriff's Office add-on

DeletedUser

I notice there is a "Sheriff's Office" idea already up, and I also know that it has already been put into the system but not activated (or so I am told :nowink:). Well, this is an idea on how it can be used. I looked around and, not suggested :D). I also checked the "Dont Suggest" and this idea wasnt listed unless my eyes were playing serious tricks on me :unsure:)

DO NOT POST UNLESS YOU READ IT!

Also, this is different from the thread suggested by talamare (http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=10497) and the thread by Dreadwood (http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=13213) because this ties in with the sheriff's office. This is also not a 2 hour job (thankfully. Lol). This is very different from any idea suggested, though if you skim it, it will seem like it is similar. So please, take the time to read it.

-------------------------------

Well, Im not for putting people in jail and stuff for dueling. Thats just stupid, even for an adventurer..

I am a soldier on world 5 and I like to duel. Maybe in the Sherrif's Office (located between the store and the hotel. When you click on it, it displays a screen just like quests), and it shows a board with pictures of criminals (ALL NPC's) and the famous "Wanted" sign on them.

With each of them comes a reward (that doesnt come from players. It is all from the game like a regular job). It can be experience, money, or both. The amount of each will be decided on the difficulties.

You will be able to challenge one each day. NO MORE THAN ONE (this prevents mass dueling). It requires energy, motivation, and if you lose, you also lose health.

It will go like a regular quest. When you bring it up, it will display a screen labeled "WANTED" and a picture of the person (probably a mercenary picture would be best). Under it will be the rewards.

If you accept (there will be two options to prevent misclicks. One to accept, one to decline), you will recieve reports on the dueling just like in a regular quest.

If you win, congratulations! You will recieve the reward posted.

If you lose, better luck next time! You lose health equivlent to the damage he caused.

Either way, one duel a day to prevent mass dueling for cash. You also will be losing the same motivation that a regular duel will take away.

You will be able to select between 5 people. Each have a different difficulty (which increases as your level increases) and a different reward.

Anything to add?:) (feel free to add to my rep if you like it. If you dont, send me a mail why you dont or post here and I will edit it. If you find fault in this, PLEASE say so. I can fix it).

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Isn't this just another bounties idea? Which is in already suggested ideas, as well as the "Bounty Boards" idea that's probably still towards the top of the page. [Yep, it was the fourth non-sticky thread in this board.]

DeletedUser

No... That is against players. This is against NPC's.

Besides, that guy didnt even have a safeguard against people who would abuse it... :laugh:

Think of it as... A Soldier or Dueler's favorite building :laugh:

DeletedUser

I dont get what you meant by comments, nothings wrong yet. lol :$?

DeletedUser

Well, I meant how do you like it... I asked a couple people. I want to know if its a good idea or not before I go talking to Gem..

Its just something we can use the Sheriff for (if hes a NPC that is.. If not, you all can find how a player can be him and there can be a sherrif's office for this by itself).

DeletedUser

I think there was a thread somewhere about having some NPCs to duel. Or maybe it was just lost in the middle of one of the interminable whines about dueling.

I actually quite like the idea but I'm not a dueler, so my thoughts might be subject to change as more experienced fighters add their opinions.

Some caveats:
-- Fighting the NPCs should cost the same motivation as a normal duel, as well as energy.
-- Damage to your health should stand whether you win or lose

DeletedUser

Hmm.. Motivation Ill add. I dont know about the health thing though, might be a turnoff for duelers if they are attacking a high risk NPC.

DeletedUser

The problem with this though, is that is dependent on a building we don't yet know the function of and which (I believe) the devs have already coded for. It is probably easier to add NPC dueling as a job like Talamare suggested... http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=10497... which could use a similar functionality as the quest giver locations for you to choose which NPC to duel.

DeletedUser

And yet, that requires a 2 hour job.. Its alot less to duel just a regular person.

Besides, we have that empty space and if you go to a ghost town screen, youll notice it says Sheriff. Why not kill two birds with one stone? :)

DeletedUser

The problem with this though, is that is dependent on a building we don't yet know the function of and which (I believe) the devs have already coded for. It is probably easier to add NPC dueling as a job like Talamare suggested... http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=10497... which could use a similar functionality as the quest giver locations for you to choose which NPC to duel.

Or just to go to the saloon (from the Quests link) like any other quest and just get the quests from the sheriff.

DeletedUser

That is true.. But still, what to do with the empty space? Eventually something is going to go there. And it should have a purpose :D

DeletedUser

wouldent this fit under sherifs in already suggested ideas?

http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=5827

also we dont know know what the functionality of the sherrifs office might be much less add to it

1st, no. It doesnt. I done stated that it doesnt fit into anything I searched and no one seems to have a suggestion anywhere near this.

2nd, EXACTLY. I personally dont think it has a function decided yet, but if it does, then you proved me wrong.

DeletedUser

im assuming the auctionhouse will go there when its added

Then what to do with that other building next to the bank? That isnt apart of the bank, or else, why would it be run down and have a different sign?

DeletedUser

The idea is fine but isn't it a bit premature to talk about changing or adding functions to a building they are going to implement (I'm sure they will have a purpose for the building) when we don't even know what it does yet? NPC dueling has been suggested. That is basically what your idea is. I'm sure you don't care what building it really goes into. So maybe you could add to Talamare's thread your suggestion.

DeletedUser

The idea is fine but isn't it a bit premature to talk about changing or adding functions to a building they are going to implement (I'm sure they will have a purpose for the building) when we don't even know what it does yet? NPC dueling has been suggested. That is basically what your idea is. I'm sure you don't care what building it really goes into. So maybe you could add to Talamare's thread your suggestion.

I see you skimmed my thread and his both.. Smooth..

His thread requires that you spend like 2 hours to duel a NPC. That is insane. His thread has SET amount of skills each dueler has, all of which are not even near regular players. His thread doesnt have a set number of times you can duel the NPC. Only that you can duel him until he is knocked out. He doesnt have 5 choices to select from.

So no, my idea is different by far.

DeletedUser

I skimmed nothing. I know what each idea is. They are both NPC dueling. That is the basis of both of them. Again I say, do you care if your idea is implemented in the Sheriffs office? Probably not. Would Talamare really care if it was a 2 hour job or something more along the lines of what you are thinking? Probably not. The point is to get NPC dueling implemented as a type of job you can choose to do when you want to. Do you not see the common theme?

I could come up with 10 different scenarios for NPC dueling. That doesn't mean I should start 10 threads for them. Anyone interested in NPC dueling can go to 1 thread this way and read all the options that have been suggested so far.

DeletedUser

I skimmed nothing. I know what each idea is. They are both NPC dueling. That is the basis of both of them. Again I say, do you care if your idea is implemented in the Sheriffs office? Probably not. Would Talamare really care if it was a 2 hour job or something more along the lines of what you are thinking? Probably not. The point is to get NPC dueling implemented as a type of job you can choose to do when you want to. Do you not see the common theme?

I could come up with 10 different scenarios for NPC dueling. That doesn't mean I should start 10 threads for them. Anyone interested in NPC dueling can go to 1 thread this way and read all the options that have been suggested so far.

I put the link to it, what more do I have to do :blink:. If you can sum it up the way he put it, then fine. Ill post it as a quote.

DeletedUser

So, in the interests of blending the two, using questgiver-like job locations works.

1. It doesn't mess with buildings and spaces we know nothing about.
2. It has some infrastructure for the coding already there.
3. Unlike Elmyr's suggestion of using the saloon, it requires travelling much as a job or duel would.

-Like a job or a duel - it costs motivation and energy.
-Like a job or a duel - it costs health points if there is damage.
-Like a job or a duel - you have to travel to the location
-Like a job or a duel - you need to be of appropriate skills to access them (in this case, skills = dueling level)
-Like a duel - it takes 10 minutes

If there were a range of NPCs added with different job icons & locations, and the rewards were dependent on motivation, the same as a duel, this would prevent XP-farming of players, which causes a lot of complaint, and it would also mean overuse of the "job" would be pointless.