Scientific/Theological Debate: Immortality

• Thread starter Thomas Franklin
  • Start date

DeletedUser

I've developed a theory (which, as I discovered after googling it, has been long hyptohesized by science fiction authors and neuroscientists) on how we can achieve immortality.

Thanks to stem cell research, we can theoretically clone any part of the human body and use it in a transplant except for the brain. The brain, due to the fact that it contains the mind.

However, there is a theory that we can one day "map" the human mind and, if we can do that, we could replicate said mind to near-perfection or total perfection.

Supposing this is feasable (in the near, distant, far, or very far future), we could "upload" the mind to a supercomputer, clone a brain, and then use genetic reprogramming to "wipe out" the brain cell's memories. From there on you would "download" the mind into the amnesiatic brain (I know I didn't spell "amnesiatic" brain right; or used a completely nonexistent word). Thus, you would have not cloned a brain, but found something that achieves the same end as what a little kid or soft science-fiction would call cloning (the total replication out of thin air of something).

The point of this? By keeping the mind, you can replace the entire body. The mind is immortal, but only if held in a body or software; the body is not, but can be replaced.

Now, as for the theological side of the discussion (I'm sure a religious person will post something about the "soul" here): I believe in God, an maybe the afterlife (I sure hope there's an afterlife), but personally I believe the "mind" and "soul" are the same thing.
If an Afterlife exists, then perhaps the mind just manifests itself in a new form (like a new body).

I posted the first bit for both atheists and religious people; the second part is intended for religious people.

I forgot to mention this under the Theological part:

There's a problem with the idea of "Afterlives" or "Reincarnation". If the exist, then we will reach Immortality when we die (as oxymoronic as it is). However, if they don't, we will be did forever. Never able to do anything. Thus, it's a gambit.

Last edited by a moderator: