Samba Queen

DeletedUser

As some of you probably know, there is a controversy regarding Rio de Janeiro's Carnival samba queen: she is seven years old, and the samba queen traditionally wears a costume that, simply put, looks slutty.

What is your opinion of having somebody that young as a samba queen?

I first heard this on FOX News, and the reporters pretty much agreed that "no normal parent would want their kids dressing up like that". In this one case I believe they really need to look at modern America: cheerleaders in U.S. schools dress like that; American society's morals are going down the drain, so why would this event in Brazil be any different?

DeletedUser11019

i agree to a great extent....the loss of values and other.

look at this article,,but don't think...dont

http://www.bettyconfidential.com/ar/ld/a/Dressing-Your-Daughter-as-a-Slut-this-Halloween.html

here the parents are sub culture pretending to be good parents and other marketing stunts and tricks,,are using Halloween as a case or cause to be as skanky as possible,,even the children ..

i run and own a costume place,,,and 80 % of children wanna be star wars,pirates,princess,fairies or other funny character,,being too young to understand "grown" up things,,,,its due to the parents that this has happened.

here is another one

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/stro...turn-of-the-halloween-baby-slut-costumes.aspx

oh and this one

http://www.askmen.com/dating/curtsmith_300/341_why-you-shouldnt-pick-up-the-halloween-slut.html

some urban dictionary

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=halloween slut

so whats that festival got to do with it all?
rio is known for many things,,the party the colours and thongs,,,but some things are just wrong,,,,,and i agree..over the years we have dropped our standards.

and its the parents who dress the kids ,,pay for the out fits and even pick the character of choice.

in my line of work,,there is a differenc between sex shop and costumes ...one brings in a nicer more decent type of people,,the other being hiding there faces,,,,then you have some with no scruples ,,that cannot sence or have knowledge of taste, distastefulness and just plain wrong

the difference here,,i deal with people weddings,,peoples dreams and parties,,,
this is some ones "else's" idea of a party,,,,but not the actual meaning of Rio's festival...

dont like this thread for obvious reasons,,but its actually a growing problem,,,,and i believe in eating your vegetables

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Yeah. I always dressed up for Halloween as a historical soldier. This year I got into an argument with my mom because I wanted to be a sepoy of the British East India Company and she said that she didn't have the time to make the outfit.

Anyways, it's quite a disgrace. At my school we use to have a dance squad made up of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade girls. The outfits they wore and dance moves were blatantly provocative; it was obviously another generation of *****s in the making.

EDIT: Not to say that any of those little children will grow up to be that kind of person, but they are being exposed to that kind of disgusting-ness.

DeletedUser11019

its all part of shock culture ,,and a costume is used to be "out of character"
i was Marilyn Monroe,,wig white dress and high heels.

its all for a laugh ,,but i have read many article like this one this year (im gearing up for Halloween early)

the rio carnival has gone out of context,,forgotten its old rituals and filled and fuelled by a younger carefree generation ,,and with every generation it changes .
even with today's society and march of progress ..(if i may call it that)
we encounter these kind of problems,,,

i actually blame the markets and the sales,,,they base there marketing on sex....coz in truth... it sells,,and sells well.
it catches the eye,,makes you stop and stare ,,even take a double jive,,,,so here they do it as well,,,
dropping social norms in order to sell a product ...its a form of physiological marketing

(im reading from a big book of marketing right now)
chapter 3 page 120
ethics,buyers behaviour,consumer markets,,ethics again,,culture,sub culture,model of consumer behaviour,social factors,family,economic situation,age group and life cycle stage,perception,post product behaviour ....

what that all means ..is ethics,,and if you aim for a certain group it really is a science,,and you will get that certain group....(targeted consumer)

...there is another game..you all seen it,,has an advert of some scantly klad woman as its add....."discretion",,"privacy"
and some other slogan crap........they are using illicit behaviour to sell there product.
they earn real cash real fast...but due to the "type" of customer it aims at,,gets into trouble,,and most cases never lasts.

i read your other thread in off topic..(hope this helps a bit,,targeted consumer and the product,,its ALL science)
where you sell,,how you sell,,and do the consumers come back for more.(is very important)
your suppliers ,your marketing intermediaries ,customer value and satisfaction ,customer relationships managment,preparing an integrated marketing plan ....ethics!!!
marketing, promotion and detailed record(and dont eat yer stock)

this even goes with Rio,,,they do tend to promote certain things and sell a certain life style,,,what to them is normal,,for us its not,,and vise versa.
they sell a life style,,they sell a certain image of beaches and scantly clad woman,,every person is a babe or hunk,,everybody has a tan and wears sun glasses and goes "gracias"
so there entire culture has developed with it,on a larger macro environmental and micro environmental bissiness scale,,the hotels and the mini stores.
there entire society is geared up for that,..like i said there way of life is different to ours,,so an out sider or western person would see and percieve things differently,,,,some o those kids spend all year making there costumes ,and are meant to represent certain things.

so now i ask you
what group or type of person would buy this or let there 11 year old wear it?
what do you think of the company that sells it?
what do you think of the consumer that promotes it and wears the product
what do you think of its sales pitch and feed back
would you come back for another product?

enough phyco babble,,,,i say keep it fun,,keep it clean,,and keep it decent...
its all for fun,,,its the ones that dont change after the festival you have to watch out for :D

seek and you shall find,
and be careful of what you look for .

DeletedUser

My opinion about a 7 year old being the queen of the drums is that it is ridiculous. And I blame the parents and the judge that approved she being the queen of the drums.

You say that Carnival is based on sex, but it is a Brazilian tradition. And if it is based on sex, a 7 year old girl should not be the queen of the drums just because her father, the president of the samba school, thinks that she should because it's her dream. The school, o Viradouro, had last year as queen of the drums, Juliana Paes!

Drum guys say that the queen "must, with her beauty, inspirate them to play, and a child doesn't do that". Second, I don't see how someone can approve a 7 year old girl being the queen.

DeletedUser11019

its an over all fail.

i have changed my mind on the first suspicion of mine..
they could have marketed it on cuteness,,another option
sympathy (some sad sob story)

before the Beijing Olympics,,there was a song ,,this one girl sang it and another girl was lip sinking it,,,,huge controversy,,
reason they did this ,,was they thought that the one girl was not "pretty" enough.
caused trouble,,and here too was planned and staged .

you see alot of these stunts in over all ..
its wrong judgement.

DeletedUser14029

funny. you know in the previous Olympic Game Opening ceremonies some of the orchestras or singers were also caught playing the tape/lip-syning, yet the Westerner's Press didn't follow up on THOSE . . .

I wonder why is it wrong - we Chinese just want to make the show perfect! We didn't brand it *that's the girl who sang it, FOR REAL* - the ceremony was perfect. None can contradict that... then they gotta find something else to pick on, we Chinese are used to that. They are jealous of us. For real >.<

Oh well, I also agree the Samba Queen thing is ABSOLUTELY a TERRIBLE idea. I don't really like women/girls dressed in too little clothings - we female aren't PLAYTHINGS after all - but a SEVEN YEAR-OLD? N O

DeletedUser11019

its not you guys,,its the marketing agents and other,,,more out for money than anything else,,they use our emotions against us,,,look at those boy/girl bands,,,one time wonder hits and never hear of them again,,same here,,they chose the cutest cuddliest girl that will bedazle the crowd ,,grandmothers, mothers and kids ."aint she soooo cute"

but its a marketing scam,,money making machine,,everything is,,and in truth,,,it pays and feeds families.

does anybody know the samba?
cha cha
mamba
Spanish waltz
tango
salsa
Merengue

Latin dance tends to be a bit,,,,hmm..has a lot of passion

but hey,,,would be cool running round as the queen for a day.

DeletedUser

funny. you know in the previous Olympic Game Opening ceremonies some of the orchestras or singers were also caught playing the tape/lip-syning, yet the Westerner's Press didn't follow up on THOSE . . .

I wonder why is it wrong - we Chinese just want to make the show perfect! We didn't brand it *that's the girl who sang it, FOR REAL* - the ceremony was perfect. None can contradict that... then they gotta find something else to pick on, we Chinese are used to that. They are jealous of us. For real >.<

Oh well, I also agree the Samba Queen thing is ABSOLUTELY a TERRIBLE idea. I don't really like women/girls dressed in too little clothings - we female aren't PLAYTHINGS after all - but a SEVEN YEAR-OLD? N O

Yeah, I didn't hear about that in the news.... But I also did not hear about the Chinese lip singing.

Few nations don't somehow cheat at the Olympics, but your Olympics was RIDDLED with scandals. What about the gymnast who was too young to participate?
-----------------
Anyways, this debate is going to die soon, due to the simple fact that we are all agreeing.

Well, what are your opinions on cheerleaders? That's education-sponsored over-sexualization of girls.

DeletedUser14029

. . .
just because we pwn at the sport and people got to find excuses . . .

we PROVED she's old enough, but nobody believes us, saying we faked the ID and date. When their arguments go on like that we refuse to participate along in a foolish debate: they base their assumption that we must be lying. So why bother asking us to present evidence?! It also startled me when I saw SHE's a teenager, I was so immature at her age >.< but why would they lie? In China gymnasts are plentiful . . . That is, if we don't let her participate, many more to choose from, and not exactly not as good either - why run the risk!? Honestly I know some Americans are annoyed we got more gold medals (hence they switched over and said they got the MOST medals - which I hope will also be a title for China XD)

Cheerleaders? I don't even count them as girls. I was/am still :)P) brought up in a strict family, and thankful for it

DeletedUser

Hmmm. Well, our argument on the Olympics isn't going anywhere.

I know lots of cheerleaders who are academically well-off, though it is worth noting that their grades are slowly slipping.
I considered joining my school's cheerleading team, but that would require being athletic and caring to spend the time. Where I live they make half-ast excuses why boys cannot be cheerleaders, even though a lot of the boys who try out have more skills than the girls.

But I digress.

DeletedUser

I'd rather tell you my opinion of judging other cultures based on your own.

DeletedUser11019

i the mighty black penny have no fear of this thread

whats wrong with going to the stadium ,with painted faces ,flags and banners,screaming death to the enemy,,all boozed up,,and fuelled on beef and adrenaline.
watching your team pound the living hell out the oppositions team,,and having scantly glad missy girlies running around showing off there pom poms...
i say what,,i say whats wrong with this barbaric behaviour thats all in the name of the game???

the cheerleader is an icon to the sport ,,i dont know about the American version ,but i know about the south african rugby,,and oh how i love it when they come to the shop for a new out fit fitting.

and what i can say is,,that they have very strict security ,,they have there own chainging rooms with security guards (think king kong in an out fit that some how has managed to fit in a normal size corridor)
people have tried everything to get at them drool over them and other.
they attract attention,,and they turn heads.

but what i must agree with is the lifestyle around it,,the so called ego vanity and careless ness of them,,how "skin" is the main attraction....yes its wrong.
some people say the skirts are getting shorter,,,and yes they are..in the 1950 it was to the knee and no less(or lashings or punishment)
1970,,it was just above the knee(or lashings or punishment)
but now in the year 2010,,,you can see all.

people talk about how American cheerleaders in schools how they act and behave
and yeah,,,i can agree with that too....its wrong.

but i must remind you,,not all high school vs university are the same,,in some cases the girls are trained and very professional ,,as in selected models and trainned in dance,,like ballrooom(not so easy to learn)

off field they are very normal people ,,,,just not after one season (tend to turn a bit ego vanity and other)

they are there to support the teams,,,
and yes,,,there is evrything wrong with the game,,,but its still cool:D

DeletedUser

True, I just don't like.... well, the way they cheer.

IMHO, cheerleaders should have "normal" uniforms.