Rick Perry Wants You - to pose term limits for Judges

DeletedUser

(( This discussion is about U.S. governance. However, many of it applies to similar political machinations happening in other countries. If you are from one of those other countries, by all means provide your insights into an attack on your constitutions / bill of rights ))

Article III, Section I of the U.S. Constitution reads, "The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behavior, and shall, at stated Times, receive for their Services a Compensation which shall not be diminished during their Continuance in Office."

Rick Perry is the frontrunner for the GOP (Republican Party) Presidential candidacy. Here is what he had to say about the Judges in his book, "Fed Up! Our Fight to Save America from Washington," and which he has reiterated during his campaign:

"'[W]e should take steps to restrict the unlimited power of the courts to rule over us with no accountability," he writes in Fed Up! "There are a number of ideas about how to do this . . . . One such reform would be to institute term limits on what are now lifetime appointments for federal judges, particularly those on the Supreme Court or the circuit courts, which have so much power. One proposal, for example, would have judges roll off every two years based on seniority."

So, let's hear your thoughts...

DeletedUser

I don't know about term limits for them, but I do think they should at least consider a mandatory retirement age rather than letting them sit on the bench until they die. I know there are a lot of people in their 80s or older who are still mentally sharp enough for the job, but I think they're more the exception than the rule.

DeletedUser1121

The whole idea behind lifetime appointments is that they remain impartial. By putting them there for a limited term, their decisions could be influenced by the ideas the people have who appoint them. So in order to get another term, they are most likely to say the things that the people who appoint them want to hear.

Although i do feel that there could be some issues that can come with aging, I don't think they are the reason why this guy is coming up with this proposal.

DeletedUser

In Denmark all civil servants has to retire when they reach their 70th year including judges.

DeletedUser

In Denmark all civil servants has to retire when they reach their 70th year including judges.
While that may have been applicable 100+ years ago, 70 is easily attainable nowadays and them thar' coots are still full capable of thinking clearly. Age should not be a determinate, only capacity to perform their duties. As it is, Judges can be removed from office through impeachment and conviction. Impeachment requires a 2/3 vote from the House of Representatives. It also, however, must be an argument of law, not politics (i.e., a Federal judge cannot be impeached simply because 2/3 of the House of Representatives disagrees with a judge's ruling or disagrees with a judges political views). As to conviction, being convicted of a felony or misdemeanor is a violation of, "Good Behavior."