Reverse the effect of duel motivation

Snr Sarg

Proposal
I had a bit of a brainwave a couple of days ago. One of the longest running discussions about the game is over how duel motivation works, in particular zero motivation duelers versus XP duelers etc.

So why not simply reverse duel motivation so everyone starts at 0 and gains no XP, but in order to gain duel XP and motivation and earn in-game cash, you have to duel more, not less, rename it duel 'bloodthirst' if you like.

Current Workaround
Duel motivation buffs is about all I can think of

Details
OK, so the casual non-duel specced player might never duel, he/she might occasionally do a couple of duels a day for the bonds. This player would never earn much duel XP, nor cash, from these duels, thus maintaining a low duel level. The amount of cash (not bounty) received from winning a duel would also be determined by the duel motivation, so for example, if in the current system you would have stolen $100, under the new system, if say your duel mot is at 50%, you'd only earn $50

On the other hand, those that want to duel and are specced as duelers would simply need to duel more and more in order to raise their 'bloodthirst' from 0 up to 100, thus only those that duel regularly and consistently, i.e duelers!, would see their duel XP, and duel level increasing. This would put XP duelers and current zero-mot duelers on an even keel so that they start competing with one another, and not dueling the workers and questers and fort fighters which was surely the original intention of having a duel level.

In other words, to get to 100% 'bloodthirst', you'd have to be dueling frequently throughout the day. The reward for this would be increasing the amount of cash you can steal, and increasing your duel XP so that the dueling leaderboards actually represent something more worthwhile, whereas today, no zero mot duelers will get anywhere near the top of the leaderboard.

Eventually, this should also address the problem of XP duelers having few targets, as both current XP and zero-mot duelers would be gaining duel XP so would come within range of one another.

Abuse Prevention
Lower level duelers, who have earned a high duel level, being able to duel higher level non-duelers, but as this already goes on I don't see this being an additional abuse. Furthermore, if that low level dueler keeps on dueling, and earning duel XP, then he will soon rise more levels, so will not be able to constantly pester the workers.

Dueler class - duel motivation rising 40% faster would need to be addressed - perhaps change this bonus, to something more like the soldier class HP bonus, a bonus on aim and/or dodge perhaps so the dueler class actually gets a bonus worth having.

Duel motivation buffs - these can still be used to raise duel motivation faster if required, making some crafts more helpful too.

Visual Aids
I don't have the necessary skills to do visual aids, sorry

Summary
It just strikes me as a simple, and relatively easy to implement idea to reduce the number of duelers hitting non-duelers, whilst also giving the XP and zero-mot duelers a level playing field to settle who is the best, once and for all.

I am sure there are lots more advantage and disadvantages to the proposal, so I invite constructive criticism and refining of the idea. Cheers

Administration
Does this idea meet the Ideas Guidelines & Criteria? Yes, I think so
Does this idea appear on any of the Previously Suggested Ideas List? No, not that I am aware of

DeletedUser34767

I actually like this idea better than the current system. The only thing I might add to this idea is to combine it with the item to split NPC and PvP duel motivation that was mentioned in the community report but not implemented yet.

Otherwise, experience duelers in the new system will just use the NPCs to raise their motivation from 0 to 100 at little or no risk before dueling other players so they will always get max experience and money.

DeletedUser34315

No from me. This cripples high level experience duelers.
There's no way, with 6 targets on the whole map, that anyone higher than level 600 will ever get their duel motivation that low.
You mention "eventually it will solve the problem of no targets"- in 4 years, maybe... the players who duel a lot have very low DL's.

Snr Sarg

GG, I can't see how it cripples high level XP duelers anymore than they are already? Surely having zero-mot duelers catching you up is only going to add to your targets, whereas now they will never catch you up?

As for only having 6 targets on the map, well surely this means you'll be dueling less due to the low number of targets, so your duel level will be going up much slower than those beneath you.

I really don't understand how this makes your current position any worse, and at least gives you the prospect of adding to the number of targets over time.

the players who duel a lot have very low DL's.

Exactly, with no prospect of their duel level ever rising under the current system. If they duel a lot under the proposed system, their duel level WILL increase, that's the whole point.

DeletedUser34767

There's no way, with 6 targets on the whole map, that anyone higher than level 600 will ever get their duel motivation that low.

The idea states that your motivation would start at 0 and only go up by dueling. My understanding is that the daily motivation reset will then reduce your motivation back towards zero every day. I don't think you will be able to duel those 6 people that many times to raise your motivation to where your duel level is going up that fast.

Snr Sarg

The idea states that your motivation would start at 0 and only go up by dueling. My understanding is that the daily motivation reset will then reduce your motivation back towards zero every day. I don't think you will be able to duel those 6 people that many times to raise your motivation to where your duel level is going up that fast.

You got it Caleb, that is the idea, although I think resetting to 0 every day would be too much, it should just fall gradually again if you do not duel, at the same rate, or thereabouts as it currently increases if you don't duel.

DeletedUser34315

I used the wrong word ( i meant raise your motivation ) but my point stands. Look at the highest level players in dakota, and see how long that world's been open- even the most hardcore of 0 mot duelers are going to take 3+ years to get to the point where they are worth dueling by 600 +.

Snr Sarg

I used the wrong word ( i meant raise your motivation ) but my point stands. Look at the highest level players in dakota, and see how long that world's been open- even the most hardcore of 0 mot duelers are going to take 3+ years to get to the point where they are worth dueling by 600 +.

Gandalf, you are totally missing the point, the most hardcore of duelers WON'T be zero motivation, the more hardcore you duel, you more duel XP you get, the faster your duel level will increase, hence the title, reversing duel motivation. The only way to be 0% motvation will be to NOT duel!

The whole point of the idea is to address the exact problem you are complaining about, so I just don't understand why you would be against it, this makes no sense

Last edited:

DeletedUser19518

If this proposal have 1% chance to make dueling better, i vote yes.

DeletedUser34315

Gandalf, you are totally missing the point, the most hardcore of duelers WON'T be zero motivation, the more hardcore you duel, you more duel XP you get, the faster your duel level will increase, hence the title, reversing duel motivation. The only way to be 0% motvation will be to NOT duel!

The whole point of the idea is to address the exact problem you are complaining about, so I just don't understand why you would be against it, this makes no sense

We are talking in circles. The players who are pure 0 mots NOW will take 3 years even dueling like maniacs to get high enough for 600's ot duel them, whilst those already at 600 will be crippled for ~2 years because they cannot duel enough players a day to get any decent exp.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snr Sarg

We are talking in circles. The players who are pure 0 mots NOW will take 3 years even dueling like maniacs to get high enough for 600's ot duel them, whilst those already at 600 will be crippled for ~2 years because they cannot duel enough players a day to get any decent exp.

Sorry, but it would be more than likely that dueling like a maniac would raise your duel XP to that sort of level in months, not years.

However, as I asked for constructive criticism, perhaps you could suggest some alterations?

The alternative of leaving it as it is is surely worse for anyone at level 600, as the zero-mots will never come into range if nothing changes, right?

DeletedUser35533

why not have characters lose duel exp when they lose the duel

MFRavenhawk

why not have characters lose duel exp when they lose the duel
That sounds counterproductive under ANY sort of dueling modification since those who dont duel will never raise in level.....since they will be constantly losing to those who do duel attacking them.

I dont know about you, but say you spent a few months on an avi getting it to level 100, and suddenly have it drop to lev 90 simply from being attacked....that would make me quit the game.

DeletedUser35533

That sounds counterproductive under ANY sort of dueling modification since those who dont duel will never raise in level.....since they will be constantly losing to those who do duel attacking them.

I dont know about you, but say you spent a few months on an avi getting it to level 100, and suddenly have it drop to lev 90 simply from being attacked....that would make me quit the game.
why?
if you wish to duel all you have to do is reskill and you will be up in ranks in no time ,those who dont duel have no need of high duel level.
some who dueled in the past ,are now traders stuck on 385+ .
you won't drop from 100 to 90 in 1 hit . lets say you will lose as much duel exp as the guy that won, gained.

MFRavenhawk

That is the point...folks who dont wish to duel, will still get dueled by those who do....
But under your proposal would lose levels as well....yes, if you lose experience from losing a duel, you would eventually drop in levels.

And why should they have to respec just to try and stay ahead of the duelers?

DeletedUser34315

Sorry, but it would be more than likely that dueling like a maniac would raise your duel XP to that sort of level in months, not years.

However, as I asked for constructive criticism, perhaps you could suggest some alterations?

The alternative of leaving it as it is is surely worse for anyone at level 600, as the zero-mots will never come into range if nothing changes, right?

No, leaving it alone at least allows level 600 + to gain experience, where they'd be unable to gain any significant experience with this proposed change.
I do have an easy fix-make duel experience be based off of duel level, but dueling range be based off character level.

DeletedUser35533

That is the point...folks who dont wish to duel, will still get dueled by those who do....
But under your proposal would lose levels as well....yes, if you lose experience from losing a duel, you would eventually drop in levels.

And why should they have to respec just to try and stay ahead of the duelers?
drop in duel levels not the characte levels ,character exp would be as is .they would not get any more dueled than they are , the speed rise and drop could prevent people from deliberately dropping they lvl too low ,with the intent to duel non duelers and with this system non duelers will have even lower duel lvl than now.
folks who dont wish to be dueled would be too low leveled to be hunted by the same people.
they will not respec to stay ahead of the duelers , they will respec if they wish to have a high dueling level.

DeletedUser30224

I do not agree with the idea. I am an exp dueller and would like to keep being rewarded for duelling. Since my duelling level is soo high, all my targets are scattered around the map and takes forever to do 2-3 duels. I don't want to be further constricted with duelling. Rewarded maybe, but not this, sorry.

Snr Sarg

I do not agree with the idea. I am an exp dueller and would like to keep being rewarded for duelling. Since my duelling level is soo high, all my targets are scattered around the map and takes forever to do 2-3 duels. I don't want to be further constricted with duelling. Rewarded maybe, but not this, sorry.

I don't know if my opening post was just too complicated or something, either that or people just aren't reading it.

How would this idea further restrict/constrict your duelling???

The whole idea & point is to lay waste to zero motivation duelers so that their duel level will increase hence giving you more targets, I simply don't understand yours and GG's objections.

We all know that currently, zero motivation duelers hit the duel button multiple times each day - doing this WOULD cause your duel level to rise, the more your duel the faster the duel level rises, what is so complicated about that to understand??? If those duelers you can't hit now all of a sudden start getting a higher and higher duel level, how is that harming your game? On the contrary, it's bringing more players into your range, and it won't take months or years, we're talking weeks here at most.

So why not simply reverse duel motivation so everyone starts at 0 and gains no XP, but in order to gain duel XP and motivation and earn in-game cash, you have to duel more, not less, rename it duel 'bloodthirst' if you like.

those that want to duel and are specced as duelers would simply need to duel more and more in order to raise their 'bloodthirst' from 0 up to 100, thus only those that duel regularly and consistently, i.e duelers!, would see their duel XP, and duel level increasing. This would put XP duelers and current zero-mot duelers on an even keel so that they start competing with one another, and not dueling the workers and questers and fort fighters which was surely the original intention of having a duel level.

In other words, to get to 100% 'bloodthirst', you'd have to be dueling frequently throughout the day. The reward for this would be increasing the amount of cash you can steal, and increasing your duel XP so that the dueling leaderboards actually represent something more worthwhile, whereas today, no zero mot duelers will get anywhere near the top of the leaderboard.

Eventually, this should also address the problem of XP duelers having few targets, as both current XP and zero-mot duelers would be gaining duel XP so would come within range of one another.

It just strikes me as a simple, and relatively easy to implement idea to reduce the number of duelers hitting non-duelers, whilst also giving the XP and zero-mot duelers a level playing field to settle who is the best, once and for all.

As it seems people aren't actually reading, or understanding correctly, the whole point of my brainfart, it's probably best to just close this thread.

I tried my best, people are just too stuck in their ways to see the wood for the trees

DeletedUser30224

Not at all, I understand where you are coming from, but your solution is not a solution to my problem which is: few targets scattered around the map. Since my DL is high, every target is a bad ass dueller, I cannot do more than 2-3 duels per day without sleeping. So to suggest that my duel level is high because I was spam duelling is wrong. My duel lvl is high because I was always dueling high DL players. As we are, if I do one or 2 duels per day, at least I am rewarded handsomely if I win. For this reason alone I don't want your change. I am not even a dueller so to speak because I do not duel daily. That concept that duellers have nothing else to do than duel is flawed. If I get KO'd I have 48h of piece and can pick up from where I left after my KO has ended. With your proposal I would be punished for being KO because I am expected to line up a good few duels again to get my bloodthirst to 100% again. Does what I say make sense to you?

I don't want you to think that I didn't read through your proposal, I did. If I missed something please do let me know, but put yourself in my shoes and see it from my perspective.