Religion According to Me - Also Called the Holy Babble!

DeletedUser

Since this really has nothing to do with evolution or daily gospel, I decided to start one more thread for it. Not that I think anyone really cares what my view of it is, but I don't care.

First, I think that too many Christians speak as though anyone who doesn't believe in Abraham's God is an atheist. That isn't even close to being true; there are more people in the world who follow other religions than there are who follow Christianity, but most of them still believe in one or more gods. I think it's wrong to throw all non-Christians into one group.

Next, in defense of Justin Michael, there are different "types" of atheists. True atheists don't believe in any gods, and most don't believe in any other kind of deity. Practical atheists live as if there are no gods, but just don't believe that any gods there are have anything to do with what happens in the worlds. Agnostics are sometimes considered to be weak atheists - they don't really believe there's any way to know for sure if there is a God or not.

As far as the Bible is concerned; I'm probably one of the few people who believes that it should be taken literally in most cases. I don't believe that "unclean" means "unholy" I believe it means dirty (unsanitary). I've always seen it as more of a survival guide than a morality guide. The foods it says you shouldn't eat are those most likely to cause illnesses (parasites in pork, etc.). Gehenna (one of the words often translated as Hell) was a pit where garbage and dead bodies (especially those who died of contagious diseases) were burned. If you followed the guide lines, you'd continue to live; if you didn't, you'd get sick, die and could end up being sent to the pit. Sheol (another word usually translated as Hell) actually means grave or pit. Again, it's saying that if you don't follow the guide lines, you'll die and could end up in a grave. Avoiding people who didn't follow them wasn't necessarily because they were "bad" people, but more that they would be more likely to carry diseases that could be harmful to those around them.

The Commandments were rules that made living in a society more successful. For the society as a whole to do well, those rules would have to be followed by all, or most, of the members. Breaking any of the Commandments would be likely to cause animosity between members at best, and often worse.

Ok, I'm boring myself now. If anyone really wants to hear more, I can add another chapter later, but I'm going to quit for now. Feel free to disagree with me; I have a pretty strong ego and can handle it.

DeletedUser

I'm intrigued. Do you require us to give you all of our worldly goods, shave our heads, and wear funny robes?

DeletedUser

I would take your worldly goods, but I don't have room for them at the moment. Just don't expect me to be up at 8 am on Sundays for services.

DeletedUser

Sorry for the extra work Gem, but I can be a pain when I'm bored.

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
I see this thread going to gods default win-win situation of faith.

Anyway, watching 'Around the world in 80 Faiths' right now, it's amazing what people will beleive and how they can merge their ancient religions with contradicting but bigger and more pressuring ideas. Right now a group of miners are worshiping the devil inside of a precious rock mine (they say he's a worker there), but what got me was the usual village shop selling sticks of dynamite. :laugh:

DeletedUser

Alright, I'm in. I prefer grape Kool-Aid.

Edit: Should we cut the spam? I really am curious to hear this...you are one of the more intelligent voices of reason in OT.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Since this really has nothing to do with evolution or daily gospel, I decided to start one more thread for it. Not that I think anyone really cares what my view of it is, but I don't care.

First, I think that too many Christians speak as though anyone who doesn't believe in Abraham's God is an atheist. That isn't even close to being true; there are more people in the world who follow other religions than there are who follow Christianity, but most of them still believe in one or more gods. I think it's wrong to throw all non-Christians into one group.

Next, in defense of Justin Michael, there are different "types" of atheists. True atheists don't believe in any gods, and most don't believe in any other kind of deity. Practical atheists live as if there are no gods, but just don't believe that any gods there are have anything to do with what happens in the worlds. Agnostics are sometimes considered to be weak atheists - they don't really believe there's any way to know for sure if there is a God or not.

As far as the Bible is concerned; I'm probably one of the few people who believes that it should be taken literally in most cases. I don't believe that "unclean" means "unholy" I believe it means dirty (unsanitary). I've always seen it as more of a survival guide than a morality guide. The foods it says you shouldn't eat are those most likely to cause illnesses (parasites in pork, etc.). Gehenna (one of the words often translated as Hell) was a pit where garbage and dead bodies (especially those who died of contagious diseases) were burned. If you followed the guide lines, you'd continue to live; if you didn't, you'd get sick, die and could end up being sent to the pit. Sheol (another word usually translated as Hell) actually means grave or pit. Again, it's saying that if you don't follow the guide lines, you'll die and could end up in a grave. Avoiding people who didn't follow them wasn't necessarily because they were "bad" people, but more that they would be more likely to carry diseases that could be harmful to those around them.

The Commandments were rules that made living in a society more successful. For the society as a whole to do well, those rules would have to be followed by all, or most, of the members. Breaking any of the Commandments would be likely to cause animosity between members at best, and often worse.

Ok, I'm boring myself now. If anyone really wants to hear more, I can add another chapter later, but I'm going to quit for now. Feel free to disagree with me; I have a pretty strong ego and can handle it.
I think you are more than right!

DeletedUser

lol gem, you should get in on the disscussion

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

i like my beliefs, as i have yet to find an apropriate label for me, thus i am hard to be generalized.

i do not follow any organized religion, christianity hinduism buddism ect. Aethiest does not fit, i used to be an aethest, but i find it very depressing(no offence to aethiests).

i am not an agnosic, because i now am not really open at all to the idea of aetheism, yes all the science and logic supports it and none supports me, but thats why it is called faith. i believe in a god, one god, but i am open to much religous ideals.

i believe in the morality most religions emphacize, and i try to minimize hate. i gues you could call me a moralist or somethingg of the sort, i am a believer in karma in one way or another, but i am hard to catgorize. i just wanted to share my views, excuse my spelling and grammer.does anyone here think they can catagorize me into any generalization?

DeletedUser

all i want to know is is there life after death my only fear :)

but i am a christian though and unless you can prove me wrong then i will stay that way

DeletedUser

If there's no life after death, then I'll be too dead to notice.

If there's a heaven, I'm confident that I'll get in.

If you get reincarnated, then great!

Therefore, I don't fear death.

DeletedUser

As long as a heretic Catholic is accepted, fine by me. A belief is something one has to uphold. However, not too much antagonizing the others who have different beliefs from that of your own.
To be too loud about it would simply be disrespectful. And I belief one has to learn how to respect before one can be respected.:indian:

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)

We can't disprove invisible pixies, magical flying unicorns or anything like that it's up to you to think. You can't even disprove my theory that invisible pixies in my sock draw made us 5 minutes ago with memories.

You should fear death really, you we're dead for billions of years before you were alive. It's highly unlikely that you will feel emotion if nothing happens so that's quite blissful, you wont be bored or conscious either.

I don't believe that anything passes in or out of reality, so you're parts will go back to where they came, into the natural processes of the universe and whatever else exists in this dimension.

DeletedUser

gamecmdr said:
i am not an agnosic, because i now am not really open at all to the idea of aetheism, yes all the science and logic supports it and none supports me, but thats why it is called faith. i believe in a god, one god, but i am open to much religous ideals.

My good man, you've been lied to. Science does not support the idea that there is no god. Logic even more so! Logic tells you that there has to be a god.