References, Sources & Attribution

DeletedUser

Too save Hellstromm's butt on that provided quote, Wikipedia is a secondary source and should only be used as such, for summarizing several citations provided at the bottom so people don't have to dig through 200,000,000,000 different sites to find what they are looking for. Here is one of the citations I viewed on that provided Wikipedia page:

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/

immediately look for the citation number and chase the "source."

To be clear Hellstromm basically said you should be using wiki as a way to find appropriate sources otherwise its a logical fallacy.

DeletedUser

Well, then he has a different opinion on it than but sites like Wikipedia are just a useful tool of summarizing the citations given

DeletedUser

Willy, you have a reading comprehension problem.

"Whether it's Wikipedia, a blog, or an op-ed, attempting to utilize any of these as credible sources is a logical fallacy" ~Me

"if you're quoting Wikipedia as your argument, rather than as a warehouse of information, then you're simply doing it wrong" ~Me
Go reread the original post instead of trying to distort what someone wrote to serve your misguided agenda from a different debate.

DeletedUser

Willy, you have a reading comprehension problem.

"Whether it's Wikipedia, a blog, or an op-ed, attempting to utilize any of these as credible sources is a logical fallacy" ~Me

"if you're quoting Wikipedia as your argument, rather than as a warehouse of information, then you're simply doing it wrong" ~Me
Go reread the original post instead of trying to distort what someone wrote to serve your misguided agenda from a different debate.
You dismissed Sum on using wiki as a source to provide someone's opinion; however that would be information which you said wiki can be used as a where house for, so which is it?

DeletedUser25606

i'm not really sure why this has turned out to be a thread as such ,but i think what h.s is trying to say (or at least the most straight forward common sense point here would be) , is it's horses for courses , that's to say if the facts you are looking for are say history ,then generally ,wiki would be a good source ,history is history , however ,if the point of topic is one of opinion (or could be taken as opinion), then copying and pasting off wiki and saying it's fact is misleading .

I think wiki for what it is ,is a great reffernce point , and something really good that the internet has given all of us , but there needs to be an awareness that on some subjects (and when i say some ,it's a lot) wiki is definatly not the last word and does dabble from information into opinion , and thats where it gets murky.

DeletedUser

Well, no. Wikipedia is a warehouse, in that you can go to it and see summations or excerpts from multiple "sources," which are provided in links or in address to the respective ISBN for a book/magazine at the bottom of each wiki page. However, Wikipedia is not the source, it is not "a" source.

A library is not a source. A particular section in a library is not a source. A particular topic in a library is not a source. Wikipedia is a virtual library.

DeletedUser

I hardly ever see the need to provide links, sources or references, because if I know something, the source is me, and if I don't know, I shouldn't be posting.:)

DeletedUser

njubs...

"Everything you read on the internet is true" -Albert Einstein