References, Sources & Attribution

DeletedUser

Argumentum ad Verecundiam

A debate, a tangent to discussions, keeps on popping up in our various debates here in these forums, and that's sources.

It is quite common for people to not provide attribution for their statements, or to claim authority in statements with only an inference of legitimacy. This, unfortunately, muddies up debates and is often used precisely for that purpose, rather than as a utility for cogent and informed discussions. What truly messes things up is when people use pseudo-sources or wikis to argue credibility.

Examples of pseudo-sources are blogs and op-eds (opinion articles / editorials), neither of which are actual "information" sources. Instead, such attributions are argumentative fodder, posturings and often biased or simply ignorant rants. Wikis are a little less obvious, in that they often include information but, because they are community-collected data, they are not actually sources. Instead, they should be used as utilities to find sources.

Wikipedia, a specific example, is written by community members and oftentimes the data presented on Wikipedia is biased or quotes and statements taken out of context. What matters is not what is written in Wikipedia, it's the references and links provided. That's the real meat, that's what should be reviewed, not the questionable summation posed on a Wikipedia page. Wikis are not accepted as references or sources, by colleges, universities, high schools and even elementary schools because wikis are simply not sources, they're warehouses and the information they may provide is transitory --- it changes because too many fingers are in the pie and nobody claims ownership. They're a great place to start your research, but a "source" comes from the "source" not from a secondary or tertiary locale.

Journalists are tasked to quote only sources, not here-say (a stark contrast to tabloid writers). As it is, Wikipedia is a huge here-say. It is the references that may very well be the sources, and that's what you need to be reading. You review Wikipedia, catch a comment that intrigues you, then immediately look for the citation number and chase the "source." That's how you do it. If you're doing it any other way, if you're quoting Wikipedia as your argument, rather than as a warehouse of information, then you're simply doing it wrong.

Whether it's Wikipedia, a blog, or an op-ed, attempting to utilize any of these as credible sources is a logical fallacy (Argumentum ad Verecundiam). If you know better, then you're doing it on purpose to throw off your fellow debaters.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser17143

*Ding ding ding ding ding*

There are so many people who need to read this. And soon.

DeletedUser30834

I disagree. You see, there are posts that are completely opinions like should gays marry or should it be ok to abort your baby after it is born. Citing a blog or Wikipedia as to what persuaded your opinions and stances is perfectly legitimate as it is pretty much parroting your own beliefs on the opinion subject.

Also, there are some topics or subjects within a topic that you can't go to the source for on the internet. There are topics that should be so well known that giving anything as a reference pretty much proves the point. Take the government of the people, for the people and by the people for instance. There are quite a few people who think that is somehow in the US constitution or Declaration of independence. However, enough people know what those documents say and that the "of the people" statement was from a speech President Lincoln gave some 100 years after the founding of the country that a link to a blog or Wikipedia is more then enough of a source when correcting them.

Some statements do not need sources from the original, just enough of a source to prove the common understanding. Wikipedia or a blog is perfectly capable of that. Especially when it is an opinion being argued and not real facts

DeletedUser17143

I disagree. You see, there are posts that are completely opinions like should gays marry or should it be ok to abort your baby after it is born. Citing a blog or Wikipedia as to what persuaded your opinions and stances is perfectly legitimate as it is pretty much parroting your own beliefs on the opinion subject.

Also, there are some topics or subjects within a topic that you can't go to the source for on the internet. There are topics that should be so well known that giving anything as a reference pretty much proves the point. Take the government of the people, for the people and by the people for instance. There are quite a few people who think that is somehow in the US constitution or Declaration of independence. However, enough people know what those documents say and that the "of the people" statement was from a speech President Lincoln gave some 100 years after the founding of the country that a link to a blog or Wikipedia is more then enough of a source when correcting them.

Some statements do not need sources from the original, just enough of a source to prove the common understanding. Wikipedia or a blog is perfectly capable of that. Especially when it is an opinion being argued and not real facts

But if an opinion is being argued, you should be using "real facts" to support the opinion. And when it comes to facts, whilst wikipedia may provide them, using it as a source never has and never will be credible. It's simple enough to follow one of the references on the wikipedia page to a reliable source and then use that to support your case.

DeletedUser16008

Depends on the topic and conversation, not to mention any names but some like to bring out white papers and "expert opinions" that are no better than wiki sometimes. Its ok to debate and there dosnt have to always be a winner or any facts at all sometimes just a convo.

D&D is not only debate but discussion too, its fine to speak how you think and why etc with no facts, if you have a good argument its not needed but .. wiki is only a tool not a presentable factual 100% irrefutable source... nor is a particular uni paper etc either btw

This isnt a high brow forum and shouldnt expect everyone who wishes to be involved to become a professional researcher either. It depends on the topic if proof is required or not.Often its not but rather just a point of view.

DeletedUser

I disagree. You see, there are posts that are completely opinions like should gays marry or should it be ok to abort your baby after it is born..
But see, that's the point, it is not COMPLETELY opinions. There's plenty of science associated with both your examples, plenty of studies presenting facts and evidence. It is this sort of fallacy in argument that attempts to muddy the waters, by claiming "completely opinions" when facts exist to demonstrate there is cognitive dissonance associated with some of these debates.

As to the level of debate in these forums, that's up to the participants. However, if a particular debate reaches a high degree of fact-based discussion, it is mere common courtesy (to the readers as well as the participants) to participate on a similar level, and not resort to logical fallacies of this nature.

DeletedUser

I agree with H on this one; wiki is not a reliable source and universities rarely if ever allow you to use them an a source. Wiki is kinda like a McDonald hamburger, its quick, easy, and tempting, but you regret it later.:D

DeletedUser

I think some people (I won't mention any names Hellstromm!) tend to forget that this forum is for debates AND discussions. I can see insisting on credible sources for a debate, but I discuss things with people all the time without either party being asked to show sources.

That said, if you are going to offer the sources of your information, it only makes sense to make sure they're credible if you want your view to receive any amount of respect. I have no sources for that statement; it's just my opinion! :p

Sorry Victor, I missed you saying the same thing as my first paragraph says until I reread the thread. I guess it's true that great minds think alike...

DeletedUser

Silly woman:

dis·cus·sion   [dih-skuhsh-uhn]
noun
an act or instance of discussing; consideration or examination by argument, comment, etc., especially to explore solutions; informal debate.​

You would be hard-pressed to find any discussion in the D&D section that is not an informal debate, a positing of arguments. They are one and the same. Presentation of incorrect information is not merely an embarrassment for the person presenting their argument, but does indeed serve to muddy the waters of a formal debate --- or a less formal discussion.

DeletedUser

Silly woman:
You messed up there. Elmyr is a very credible source, and he'll tell you... There are no women on the internet! Please don't make me search for a specific post to link; sometimes common knowledge is good enough.

DeletedUser16008

Are we debating what D&D is now ? .................. :rolleyes:

OK debate this ....

the-great-debate.jpg

DeletedUser

No question about it. If you have pets or small children, A; if not, B. I'll bet you can find a few fallacies in that statement! :eek:

DeletedUser

Omg! Some things are not meant to be planned. It's like a coin toss. You don't pay attention to it when you install and then if it comes up A you buy a lottery ticket that day, and if it comes up B you don't. I thought everyone knew that. :p

I have seen Wiki articles that had false information, and then come back later and found they had been corrected. I definitely wouldn't use information from there. The best way to get information is to put in a good search. Most information is presented in very biased, and editorialized form these days though even by sources that are supposed to be objective. Journalism has become a joke in this regard imo (all the news that fit to print and talk about around a cracker barrel imo). So I think be aware of who is providing the information and why.

I think some discussions can run very well without a lot of research info, but maybe some can't. Perhaps not quite as many sources are needed? I think the discussions here tend to go off a bit though. Research is then used to justify off topic particulars and people sometimes take things very personally. There are many topics that don't have "an answer" and that is partly due to the way the topics are set up. So I think people have to be open to the idea that not everyone will see things in the same way.

DeletedUser30834

But see, that's the point, it is not COMPLETELY opinions. There's plenty of science associated with both your examples, plenty of studies presenting facts and evidence. It is this sort of fallacy in argument that attempts to muddy the waters, by claiming "completely opinions" when facts exist to demonstrate there is cognitive dissonance associated with some of these debates.
There may be science involved, but it does not mean it is involved in those examples. Should gays be allowed to marry is purely asking for opinion and giving people the opportunity to sway those opinions. You can use science to acomplish that if you present it well enough, but it is still an opinion on whether they should or should not. After birth abortion is the same, it talks about the morality of something. it is pure opinion to whether it should be the same or not. You cannot test morality, you can only observe how people react to it and express their opinions on it. These are philosophical questions which is why the discussion is mostly dominated by philosophical comments. Your opinion on something can be based on a lot of things directly or indirectly, including but not limited to someone else' opinion, religion, dog's name or whatever else.

You do know the difference between philosophy and science right?

DeletedUser

Sumdumass, an assertion made out of ignorance is mental masturbation. It may satisfy you, but doesn't open your eyes or provide insight. It is studies and scientific evidence that provides insight, knowledge, information. When people make their assertions, based on a podium of ignorance, that's not philosophy, that's merely demonstrating their ignorance.

DeletedUser30834

lol.. What you do not get is that at the end of the day, whether it is out of ignorance or not (and it appears you do a lot of both), it is still how you "feel" about something. You know, a freaking opinion about it. There is no right or wrong about it. All the science in the world and all the facts and knowledge in the world cannot make an opinion right or wrong correct or not, just whether you agree with it or not.

I do not think you quite understand and I'm not sure you are capable of understanding. There is not one answer to philosophical questions. Philosophy is not science, the scientific principles can not be applied to it, and if you insist that they do, you will continue looking foolish in both science and philosophy.

DeletedUser

I see no point in repeating myself. This thread is about presenting valid references, sources, attribution, not invalid ones. You are arguing that it is okay to provide invalid references, sources and/or attribution if you're attempting to support an opinion. But attempting to support an opinion with a lie, with false information, with someone else' conjecture, is not support, it is deception. Your argument is simply full of crap.

But thanks for playing.

DeletedUser

I see no point in repeating myself. This thread is about presenting valid references, sources, attribution, not invalid ones. You are arguing that it is okay to provide invalid references, sources and/or attribution if you're attempting to support an opinion. But attempting to support an opinion with a lie, with false information, with someone else' conjecture, is not support, it is deception. Your argument is simply full of crap.

But thanks for playing.
So its not okay to use Wikipedia unless Hellstomm is the one doing it :eek:

DeletedUser

Too save Hellstromm's butt on that provided quote, Wikipedia is a secondary source and should only be used as such, for summarizing several citations provided at the bottom so people don't have to dig through 200,000,000,000 different sites to find what they are looking for. Here is one of the citations I viewed on that provided Wikipedia page:

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/