Reality Television is it rubbish ?

DeletedUser563

Personally I never have time to watch them anymore due to schedule conflicts but I like reality tv. Lets face it shows like CSI have a formula they work on. After a while you pick up on the pattern and the show becomes boring. Thats why there is so many new series each year. As they basically have to come up with new formulas each year to keep people from switching off. Unless there is no formula. Some great shows like trailer park boys ,seinfeld , true blood and dexter comes to mind . If I would say in all mentioned series its the writing that is good. Getting back to the topic I think they are good because of the real human emotions etc. Some are just excellent because they show you unbelievable good stuff: I am thinking about this one Japanese tv series were the competitors have to complete kind of impossible challenges. Cant remember the name though.

DeletedUser

Most of the reality shows are very much scripted, at least in presentation. You watch a few shows, it's like watching all the rest. Need to keep in mind it's still spliced together by producers, with the assistance of writers, who sometimes request the participants "do" or "say" certain things to steer the show a specific direction.

And the worse part of so-called reality shows is that they have horrible actors. ;)

DeletedUser

"Now I just need a heartfelt resolution, so we're going to use a little reality TV magic. We call it staging it... or lying."

30 Rock

Edit: Though it's ironic to use a quote from a sitcom to call reality shows rubbish. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser28032

I once read a couple of Ben Elton books which were set around reality TV programs and one of the first things you realise is that as soon as you try and do teh maths involved you realise thats it has to be scripted for instance if Simon Cowell was to give every auditionee for the X-factor five minutes and work for eight hours a day seven days a week it would take around three years just to get the final half dozen that make the TV show.