Police Officers: Should they continue using Tazers?

DeletedUser

And I'm saying they're misused and need to be controlled. The guy was unarmed and had his hands at his side. A tazer was not needed YET. Had he thrown more stuff at them or even tried to hit them, then I wouldn't be so angry about it. When they arrived, he was calmer.

That can be corrected through discipline where it's appropriate, and training.

But at least we agree then that they are misused and need to have some kind of rules enforcing their use, that's half of my reasoning behind this whole issue, and pretty much what my first post in this thread was about. So now we can stop arguing.

DeletedUser

And I'm saying they're misused and need to be controlled. The guy was unarmed and had his hands at his side. A tazer was not needed YET. Had he thrown more stuff at them or even tried to hit them, then I wouldn't be so angry about it. When they arrived, he was calmer.

But at least we agree then that they are misused and need to have some kind of rules enforcing their use, that's half of my reasoning behind this whole issue, and pretty much what my first post in this thread was about. So now we can stop arguing.

There already ARE rules about when they can be used.

DeletedUser

Maybe in Washington, but that is not a federal law.

Actually Elmyr, most POST certification school (Peace Officer Skills and Training) require that a candidate be exposed to Mace, Tear Gas, OC spray, tasers and stun guns, before certifying the candidate for use of that item.

Not all police are certified or equipped with all the options, but the ones that are have generally been exposed to it on the recieving end.

DeletedUser

There already ARE rules about when they can be used.

In my original post, I mentioned they only recently set those rules here in BC, which I thought was scary that they had handed these things out to everyone without these stricter rules already being in place. Up here they are classified as "prohibited firearms", but are not treated with the same respect as guns until now...at least in BC for non-RCMP police forces.

If the RCMP here accepts to follow those rules, (which they initially did, and then backtracked saying they needed to review the reports) then it is made a federal policy. So the fact that they aren't accepting them, I find scary.