Pick your contest!

What kind of contest do you want?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Well, since there have been a lack of contests lately, I think it only fair to see what everyone is in the mood for, so I'll start a poll to see what everyone wants!

Take your pick! The votes will be open, and you can vote for more then one!

If you pick any sort of 'Other', please let us know what you're thinking!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I'm not quite sure what you mean by Graphic-Render so I voted for Graphic-Other...
That other I mean is sotw/sotm or any other to that style...:)

DeletedUser

I don't think "Graphics" should be the only thing anymore. Not everyone can make a video, and not everyone can make decent graphics. Some just don't have the ability to use photoshop inches away, it's not entirely fair. Writing however, is something that everyone is capable of. It's got my support; a strong backing of it in fact.

DeletedUser5046

i think i have an idea... although it wasnt an originAL thought, i think we should have an art contest about certain quests...

each week or month there will be a certain quest that'll be made into a comic strip... or better a picture XD sort of

DeletedUser

Have you met some of the people on this board? I wouldn't say everyone is capable of doing it. :)

Even though they are ignorant, they can still write. It will be a displeasure to you of course, but they CAN after all, write.

DeletedUser

Even though they are ignorant, they can still write. It will be a displeasure to you of course, but they CAN after all, write.

No they can't...not all people have the same imagination...trust me...;)
Just like image manipulation,writing isn't just something you have from your birth time...it needs time to improve and some talent as well...

DeletedUser

When you are talking about a written poem or story, you cannot make that statement. Here "write" has a different meaning than simply type/spell. It is meant to be understood as "compose art with words". So if you are stating that everybody can type/spell when we are talking about compositions, then you are completely off topic. This is the Graphics, art and media section, not the spelling bee contest.

DeletedUser

Just like image manipulation,writing isn't just something you have from your birth time...it needs time to improve and some talent as well...

Everyone HAS imagination, do they not?

And if you don't need to have any means to write except for a keyboad. For something else, like the grapics, digital images, and videos, you need extra programs. Sometimes, you can't just up and install a program on your computer, and you're SOL when everyone else is using Gimp and Photoshop. If you can write, you can express your thoughts in some form or another, and you can hone those abilitys to write something that can inspire awe in the imagination of others.

When you are talking about a written poem or story, you cannot make that statement. Here "write" has a different meaning than simply type/spell. It is meant to be understood as "compose art with words". So if you are stating that everybody can type/spell when we are talking about compositions, then you are completely off topic. This is the Graphics, art and media section, not the spelling bee contest.

#1. More people have the ability to compose art with words than people can create art with their hands. Image programs included as well. Imagination is the key, and there is nothing easier than channeling it through your language and verbal/written communication.

#2. Saying that "everybody can type/spell" wouldn't be off topic, and I never said it in the first place. It's clear that I'm not off topic, and you're interpretation of what I'm saying tells me that you just want to shoot the idea all to hell.
If you don't want to 'read' other individuals stories, just say so.
If you don't think that voting on the stories would end in a fair outcome, just say so.
If you don't know if anybody would care enough to write a story, just say so.

I don't need accusations, misperceptions or insults to tell me I'm wrong; I need facts, and honest opinions about the outcome of the path taken instead of argument about whether something would be a 'spelling bee' or not because someone is blinded by some form of prejudice. I'm talking about what is easiest to imagine, what is vividly descriptive, and overall a great read. LITERARY ART. Last time I checked, that's a sub-section of Art, and that was something we were allowed to post in this forum, THAT is what is to judge.

Even a moderator told me to post stories here instead of Campfire, and he was here quite a long time ago. Jordon.

If you think I'm your enemy, you're dead wrong. I am sick of seeing only three to four active threads on this subforum, and I want it to be great again. If we can open it up to poets and storytellers, then maybe it will have some more action. As of now, all I am trying to do is HELP.

DeletedUser

You got me wrong. I have nothing against any type of contest. I didn't even vote yet, because I am not sure what to chose, I'd chose them all. But to say everybody can write? That is absolutely not true. :)
I am a smart gal with imagination, but I could never compete in ANY of the above. I love books, read lots of them, but can't write. Imagine that!

DeletedUser

Part of the problem with writing contests is that it takes so long to read everything in order to vote fairly. I wouldn't mind having a contest for the best haiku, limerick, poem, theme song for The West, etc., but I'm not sure I'm really up to reading pages of text written by people with little skill in grammar, spelling or sentence structure - no matter how good their imagination/stories are. Just as images in the contests are limited in size, maybe a word limit would help if a story writing contest happens.

DeletedUser

I also have nothing against any type of competition and I surely have nothing against you David...
What I'm trying to say is although every person has imagination,firstly they do not all have the same amount of imagination and secondly they cannot all write poems/stories/etc..
Writing is more difficult than learning a program in order to mess with photos,it requires more talent because it comes straight through your mind...
Nobody said "Ban Writing Art"...it's just that saying that everybody can write is not correct at all...(see above)
Last but not least if everyone was able to write awesome stories and poems and everything to that kind then we will all be famous writers...something that just can't happen...
That's all I have to say...:)

DeletedUser

I would very much like a contest of some actual drawing by hand. Partly for myself, but mainly because I want to see what the locals of the west can do pencil-wise. ^^

DeletedUser

I'm thinking a writing contest is a good idea, but it would require a word count, and a theme. And yes, many would not be able to provide winnable pieces, but then again a lot of the entries for the graphic contests were less than substandard, so just as long as the community can suffer the quick read, it should be an easy enough contest for most anyone to participate in.

DeletedUser5046

well i know schofield... and this section is all about graphics, drawing and art.. if you want to write... Campfire Section is very open :)

i myself have a large imagination...actually of almost everything written here specially on the Campfire section...the thing is... i cant write like David or peril, but i am still willing to learn so instead of just reading, i participate *even though i have a lot on my mind, i just dunno how to write it all up XD because i still need to learn a lot and practice my grammar.*

i love art the same way i love reading . . .and i know people here in the forum love to write as well..they just dunno how to put it though...or how they will start.

Deleted User - 819397

I'd love to do a writing piece...I traditionally haven't been around this section much since I'm a terrible artist...heck, I've always said my stick figures look bad hehe. Still, I'd definitely participate in a non-poem writing contest (as I can't write poems to save my life)...video...maybe...depends on constraints and topic though.

DeletedUser

I'd love to do a writing piece...I traditionally haven't been around this section much since I'm a terrible artist...heck, I've always said my stick figures look bad hehe. Still, I'd definitely participate in a non-poem writing contest (as I can't write poems to save my life)...video...maybe...depends on constraints and topic though.

Same here, I can't do much artistically unless I've got a chance to edit it with paint, and when each single bit is a different shade than the last, there's no chance for me to make a realistic looking picture without failure.

As for poetry, when I feel like it I can make incredibly dark pieces that are well-written, but about on-par with Poe's works in terms of depressingness, even though I am a cheery person, my mind likes to throw fits about nothing :laugh:

And then writing. If we were to be constricted to a prompt, I think that would be just alright. Free writing gives everyone too much free reign though, and you simply can't compare a modernist story with a western story! With the proper constraints, judging will be pretty well possible... Maybe put in a rule forbidding you from voting for your own works. I'm a decent writer, but nowhere near perfect. If we included writing contests, I might just be able to push myself that extra step I need to perfect my dialouge problems and starting issues. All in all, I think everyone would be able to benefit from the lust for competition, as well.

DeletedUser

So basicly most of you are saying you havent got talent and don't even want to enter something without abit of talent well let's just pick straws to see who wins this month then :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm voting for writing , be nice to have ago at that as I've never got anywhere with pictures. Just remember "WHO DARES WINS".

DeletedUser

So basicly most of you are saying you havent got talent and don't even want to enter something without abit of talent well let's just pick straws to see who wins this month then :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm voting for writing , be nice to have ago at that as I've never got anywhere with pictures. Just remember "WHO DARES WINS".

I've got the talent to photoshop like a boss, but not the means. Can't install ANY programs, hell, my stupid mother has even blocked youtube because it "slows down" her computer, when it's actually the security device she installed restricting the router from maximum efficiency... I ran the diagnostics. All I can operate is MS Paint, as you can see plainly in my sig.

Status
Not open for further replies.