New forum

DeletedUser34084

Here
5ff1e10280.png

Then click that ^

DeletedUser

hmm, is that supposed to be on top on thread list? because i don't have it anywhere, just Watch forum option?

upload_2016-9-5_8-14-58.png

DeletedUser15368

It's only on the New Posts page, click "What's New?" at the bottom of the page, or "New Posts" on the homepage sidebar.

Pankreas PorFavor

this forum will take some time to get used to...
I am not a fan of the way this works - mark all or nothing as read. I prefer how it was before, where you could, for example, mark Saloon as read, but leave Questions & Guides as unread.
another forum related question - what happened to reputation? I see a "like" button, but no "dislike". and I see "Likes you've received" but not the "dislikes" a.k.a red rep. Is that gone now?

DeletedUser22685

I'm a bit peeved about the inability to mark specific forums as read as well. For example, all I had to do previously was double click the icons for Off Topic and Campfire Stories and I could use the New Posts feature to read every new post without seeing results from those two forum sections. Now it looks like I'll have to sift through the entire New Posts list and then mark the remaining threads from those sections as read after I've viewed all the ones I care about. Not exactly a deal breaker, but a downgrade to be sure.

this forum will take some time to get used to...
I am not a fan of the way this works - mark all or nothing as read. I prefer how it was before, where you could, for example, mark Saloon as read, but leave Questions & Guides as unread.
another forum related question - what happened to reputation? I see a "like" button, but no "dislike". and I see "Likes you've received" but not the "dislikes" a.k.a red rep. Is that gone now?

This is the other major issue I have with the new design. It seems like each positive rep message we've ever received has been translated into one like rather than the multiple reputation points that they may have been worth previously. My 2600 odd rep points are apparently the equivalent of 757 "likes", for example.

But I couldn't really care less about that part (apart from the damage done to my ego by Elmyr moving back ahead of me, but I'd say that's well deserved). There are two main reasons I don't like this particular change. Firstly, I always had a specific reason for sending somebody reputation points, and I liked to let them know what that reason was via the message that was included with the rep. Simply liking their post seems a lot less meaningful. Secondly, no longer having the ability to provide negative feedback means we'll probably see a whole lot more off topic/spammy posts in public with the snarky comments that people usually reserved for the reputation system. It's also a bit too Facebook-esque for my liking.

The only other thing off the top of my head that's bothering me is that I can see how many "trophy points" I have but can't actually view what they were awarded for. The reason for this is that it was decided to disable the trophy system on .net and I don't mind that decision, but my curiosity is killing me :p

Anyway, the rest of the changes just seem like mostly visual ones that I'll probably be able to adapt to over time, although I didn't really see a reason to move away from the old forum style which I didn't see anyone complaining about. I'm sure it'll be just like Version 2.0 and in a few weeks I'll not only forget my misgivings but won't even remember what the old layout looked like.

EDIT: Just found another pet peeve... That damn emoticon I've just used. Give us back our cowboy hats!

Deleted User - 1802579

I'm not really digging this new forum system. As stated above me, the inability to choose which specific category forums to mark as read or not is really grinding my gears. Visually it looks cool though.

DeletedUser

I am glad the rep systems gone, there were some sad acts that gave negative rep for no reason and hid behind it like cowards

DeletedUser35277

New forum layout is vastly different, but I am sure we will grow accustomed to it.
I feel it is easier to read as the font is bigger and it has an overall 'clean' layout.

Apelatia

I personally am a big fan of the forum update. I've been longing after a more visually appealing forum for a few years now - the previous one was outdated, and further cemented The West's place as an older game, which wasn't what we needed to attract new users.

That said, like Pankreas said, I dislike the the inability to mark a single forum as read, and would also like it if the sheriff star icons on the main page displayed a more prominent colour when an unread thread exists in a specific forum. Aside from that though, I'm a fan.

DeletedUser15368

Don't most players want Old west though?

There are extensions that can fix lack of a the double click to mark read feature, but it's up to the management to implement them, i've had no luck yet lobbying them :p

asdf124

What do you mean by lobbying? Are you supporting their campaign irl?

Helping em out irl or Ingame , or simply saying your just annoying management about it.......

DeletedUser

Thanks for clarification everyone.

Yes, it's nicer forum visually but it really sucks not having "mark forum read" option since i'm only interested in 2-3 forums max and never check any other at all.
But i'm sure it can be added with little effort from admins. Nowadays, possibility to customize modern forum layout is really vast.

DeletedUser34781

The overall text on forum names on home page needs to be a tad bolder or up one size width to see easier and clearly. As it is i have to squint and i have 20/20 eyesight.

DeletedUser35533

is there a way to customize the "whats new" button so it does not show new posts from Campfire Stories or any other sub forum (according to ones preference)?

Deleted User - 819397

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to do that. As the CS mod (among other things), I recognized fairly early on that the way that function worked we'd be annoying people at times because we are fairly active and most people weren't going to want to see our posts. The only workaround I've been able to find is for you to click 'watch forum' in sections you do want to monitor so that you can then modify your alert preferences to tell you if there's a new post there. Yes it's not a perfect workaround, but it's the only way I know of to filter the information you're getting in any capacity. My apologies for the inconvenience from CS' end.

Edit: I've been vocal about it in private, but figured I'd say really quick here I'm not a fan of the new forum at all. Still, I'm attached enough to the community I'm not going anywhere. Just wish they hadn't dropped a lot of the functionality for visuals.