Moon land selling/auctioning

• Thread starter DeletedUser15641
  • Start date

DeletedUser

Not at all. But there was nothing there that disagrees with my position, which is not "my" position, as such, but reality.

It's clear, however, that you ignored my link.

DeletedUser

Not at all. But there was nothing there that disagrees with my position, which is not "my" position, as such, but reality.

Looks like you didn't read this bit;

Unfortunately, rather than accept the original correction of your mistake in claiming that the moon was moving faster (rather than 'accelerating') you chose, against my best advice, to persist in and amplify your claim.

It's clear, however, that you ignored my link.

Not so, and I do not appreciate being accused of ignorance.

DeletedUser

So, you ignore my quotation of NASA and their use of the word?
The NASA site uses the word "acceleration" correctly - it is you who who misuses it.

..... there is nothing I can do for someone who mistakes "moving faster" and "accelerating" as two different concepts.
Did you read the quote I provided? Here it is again:
"Acceleration occurs anytime an object's speed increases, decreases, or changes direction."
Perhaps I should say "there is nothing I can do for someone who mistakes "moving faster" and "accelerating" as identical concepts."
And, honestly, I don't understand what the argument is all about....
I'm inclined to agree with that.
Tigermite gets it. HS gets it. I studied this sort of thing at university, so I think I get it. Stop talking down to people and at least try to learn something. Orbital mechanics do not work the way you think they do because the gravitational field is not constant. You are not the first person to make that mistake and you will not be the last, but when someone sets you right at least try to be civil and attentive.

Here's the nub: if you accelerate an orbiting object in the direction of its motion it will move to a higher orbit and slow down. If you accelerate it in the opposite direction ('decelerate' if you like) it will move to a lower orbit and speed up. If you find that hard to believe, go and look at the orbiting speeds of a satellite and the moon, or the planets about the sun and you will see that their speed ALWAYS decreases as their orbital radius increases.
So, as the moon becomes more distant it slows down. That was the only correction I had to make to your original post and it should not have been such hard work.

DeletedUser16008

Here's the nub: if you accelerate an orbiting object in the direction of its motion it will move to a higher orbit and slow down. If you accelerate it in the opposite direction ('decelerate' if you like) it will move to a lower orbit and speed up. If you find that hard to believe, go and look at the orbiting speeds of a satellite and the moon, or the planets about the sun and you will see that their speed ALWAYS decreases as their orbital radius increases.
So, as the moon becomes more distant it slows down. That was the only correction I had to make to your original post and it should not have been such hard work.

Yup thats how it works, common mistakes are often made with NASA jargon and laymen. I'm glad you piped up Eli I couldnt be bothered but it gave me a chuckle you did ;)

DeletedUser

Okay, let's start by explaining acceleration:

Acceleration is the rate of change in velocity over time, as it pertains to a particular body. As Eli indicated, this "change" can be positive, negative, or deviate. For lay communication, I referred to negative acceleration as deceleration, as it is essentially a reduction in acceleration. Wizdoom, the link you provided from NASA poses -25.858 "/cy^2. The negative posed in that equation indicates it as a negative acceleration.

I'll discuss faster/slower in a later post, seeing as my time is limited.

DeletedUser

Hmm, haven't been back to this thread. Wizdoom, which part are you still confused about?

Edit: Alright Wizdoom, you've logged into the forums and looked at this thread more than three times since I posted my query. At this point I will assume you either were just trolling or have no further questions. I'm done here. If you wish to gain additional information on this issue, you may attend a university and obtain an education.

Last edited by a moderator: