Microevolution & Macroevolution

DeletedUser

Any examples of actual studies of actual divergent species that actually separated to a point where they can no longer interbreed, or is that just speculation?

Always happy to oblige:
http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic635410.files/Irwin%20et%20al%202001.pdf

Science is based on money. So results are often money biased. If there are lots of grants given out to prove evolution, then the results are going to be evolution biased.
Science is based on observation and thought, not money. No one paid Newton or Einstein, or Charles Darwin, for that matter, for their work. But they each revolutionised the way we see the world.
It a grant was given to prove something ie only to support a pre-existent belief, then it would not be science.

DeletedUser

Always happy to oblige:
http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic635410.files/Irwin%20et%20al%202001.pdf

Science is based on observation and thought, not money. No one paid Newton or Einstein, or Charles Darwin, for that matter, for their work. But they each revolutionised the way we see the world.
It a grant was given to prove something ie only to support a pre-existent belief, then it would not be science.

Well this is an interesting journal, but I fail to see the proof. This seems like a lot of speculation and guess work. There is no mention of methodologies of how they tested this theory, or how they tried to breed the resulting species, and there is no mention of how they know these species come from a common ancestor. I guess they were relying on you already believing in evolution so they found it unnecessary to include actual proof.

DeletedUser

RIGHT... A BLOG...:rolleyes: If I wanted to know what Tom Cruz was up to I would read a blog, but for scientific knowledge a different medium is necessarily.

Right...Of course, disproving evolution would make you a poor person, you'd never be mentioned in any science book, nor any history book, because scientists, who caused paradigm shifts are despised and scorned and their work is shunned and hidden from the general public by evil egomaniac money biased scientists. :rolleyes:

If there was "proof" this conversation would be redundant; however there is not any proof, only evidence, and if a scientist were to try to make a study on attempting to prove creation he would not get be able to get grant money or published by the scientific community because of the stigma.

However if a scientist wanted grant money to attempt to prove evolution all the grant money and publishers would be available, not to mention he/she would not run the risk of being forever Ostracized by the scientific community.

Also I advice you to read a scientific paper, especially the last bits, that explain possible mistakes and misinterpretations that could have occured during the experiment. Now also you should realize what peer-revew is and then you will come to the conclusion that "biased science" due to money or whatever is an oxymoron.
Yes because the scientific community is totally open minded to the idea of creation (sarcasm)...:rolleyes:

The biggest issue of the model of evolution is it cannot and does not even attempt to explain origin. How exactly can you say evolution is the correct theory when it cannot explain how RNA and DNA developed? How did non-life become life? For the most important questions the model is irrelevant and breaks down every time. Who cares if an ape can develop into a slightly smarter ape... What about the real questions about the origin of life.

For instance RNA is responsible for protein synthesis. How exactly can you synthesize protein from a simpler design that RNA supposedly developed from? With out protein synthesis organics are impossible. Evolution breaks down!

RNA is a complex machine designed for the goal for reproducing genetic material. Like any complex machine if you take out or warp any part, it ceases to function for its intended purpose. Evolution cannot explain this because for it to have evolved it would have had to been able to function at a simpler design. At some point you will always hit that point of non-function where adapting is not possible because there is not any function to adapt.

DeletedUser16008

Science is based on money. So results are often money biased. If there are lots of grants given out to prove evolution, then the results are going to be evolution biased.

Scientific proof cannot be biased if its proven fact its simply that. I cannot fathom why the need to prove something beyond a doubt again and again( which as far as im concerned has been ) when the alternative camp is all based on nothing more than human desire with no basis at all but fairytales...

This isnt a conspiracy and theres no big money grants in proving evolution all over again its been done. In fact theres plenty that try to debunk evolution, You bet your ass there are plenty out there desperate to make a name for themsleves doing so, the fact is atm there is nothing that stands up scientifically that does that when its tried.

You want all the answers to all the questions now Willy, science dosnt work like that it does so in a methodical way, RNA DNA will be worked out ive no doubt in the future, just because someone hasnt as yet does not make it gods work.

You talk about biased the alternative camp won't listen to reason nor produce evidence for anything, yet when its placed in front of them would rather believe a storybook from a time when people had no scientific understanding at all.... All manner of things were the work of the devil, plague, starvation, infant deaths, natural disasters, nothing was understood yet has all been by scientific method since. No doubt flying then was also the work of the devil but fly we did and do all the same.

Before you bang on about science being biased etc etc look around you and realise your life is easier than anyone that came before you precisely because and only due to science and those in the pursuit of truth in life's many mysteries nothing to do with a fictional creator but hard core proven and working science. Without it youd probably still be breaking your back in a field or running around trying to scrape up enough food to eat. Science is what it is and you cant pick and choose what you like about it. Slowly but surely all the answers are being found one by one and all the time creationists look more and more like dreamers... role on the next milestone I say and watch them go the way of the dinosaurs, the sooner the better

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Wow.. I find this thread interesting.

We have on the one hand, a group of people claiming that they do not have all the answers, but enough evidence to show that something is likely to be true, therefore it could never have happened any different way and that means your religious way is wrong.

On the other hand, we have a group of people who are saying that, you do not have all the answers so you cannot say my religious way is wrong and your way is the only right way.

In the noise were a few posts that said, even if position A is likely true, it does not rule out position B because the evidence only support the claim of A and does not falsify B.

And now we are at a point where is seems that arguing which camp is the most biased towards their position is somehow telling about the soundness of their position.

And that is weeding out the obviously false and biased claims about scientific discovery and ancient settlements.

DeletedUser16008

Not really, one brings evidence to the table when it is found, the other brings nothing.

I don't mind religion but would wish it would stop trying to declare creation stories and blatant falsifying of timelines as fact vs hard scientific study and findings that show the very likely opposite or errors.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck and shows it is a species of bird it probably isnt an elephant, no matter what your great great grandmother thought or was told.

DeletedUser

We have on the one hand, a group of people claiming that they do not have all the answers, but enough evidence to show that something is likely to be true, therefore it could never have happened any different way and that means your religious way is wrong. ... blah blah blah ...
Hmm, you have anything to add to this discussion or are you just going to pose ignorant commentary from the sidelines?

RIGHT... A BLOG...:rolleyes: If I wanted to know what Tom Cruz was up to I would read a blog, but for scientific knowledge a different medium is necessarily.
Except this blog, and the included article, belongs to Allen MacNeill, a senior lecturer, in biology, at Cornell university (click here).

You really should get into the habit of researching before typing. ;)

If there was "proof" this conversation would be redundant; however there is not any proof, only evidence, and if a scientist were to try to make a study on attempting to prove creation he would not get be able to get grant money or published by the scientific community because of the stigma.
Umm, you just demonstrated how you do not understand science there Willy. There is no "proof" in science, that's mathematics. But, what you are doing is making a play on words. Your definition of "proof" is actually science's definition for "evidence." Where's the proof of macroevolution? Well, the evidence of an instance in which macroevolution occurs is proof and the links provided provide that evidence.

Science is about the evidence, an examination of such to theorize on the balance of evidence. A theory is invalid if one fragment of evidence conflicts with the theory.

Yes, just one. There are literally millions in evidence, and yet if even one bit of evidence conflicts with the theory, it is not a valid theory. So, where's that one little bit of evidence you can present to the table that would invalidate the theory of macroevolution?

Answer: as far as we know, it doesn't exist.

And here's the other problem with your comments. Evolution is both theory AND fact (which I discussed many time previously in this forum). As well, macroevolution is both theory AND fact. The theory is the collective examination of all evidence pertaining to macroevolution, inclusive of postulation on predicted behaviors. It is fact because the evidence itself is a physical, biological demonstration of macroevolution. It is witnessed, indisputable. There it is.

I.e., the facts are the evidentiary instances, the theory encompasses all instances and that which has not yet been evidenced, but is otherwise anticipated based on the behavior of the collective evidence.

In contrast, Creationism has no evidence, no proof. It doesn't even have a theory. It's just a claim, such as someone claiming there are invisible fairies, dwarves, elves or balrogs with whips. No supporting evidence, no proof, no theory... just something pulled out of a hairy butts and thrust onto the pages of books. Add in some believers and you have a Tolkien convention.

Or, in your case, Sunday school.

if a scientist wanted grant money to attempt to prove evolution all the grant money and publishers would be available, not to mention he/she would not run the risk of being forever Ostracized by the scientific community.
If a scientist wanted grant money to attempt to prove evolution, he would be called a quack and not obtain a penny... because you don't go around "proving" anything in science, you instead try to disprove it. That's the basis to scientific examination. Old theories are trumped by new theories. And if you just so happened to disprove an old theory, you get to label the new theory. Now how cool is that?!?

See, this is your misunderstanding here Willy. Scientists are continuously trying to find fault in each other's work. It's not a collaboration, nor a collective, and it's definitely not a massive conspiracy against non-believers. It's a damn warzone and scientists want it that way. They want to throw their theories into a peer-reviewed journals and have a hundred thousand other scientists try to destroy their theory. Because if a theory survives that sort of assault, it becomes tempered, turns into a

In contrast, Creationists are adherents, refusing other considerations and working together to defend their belief, regardless of the lack of supporting evidence.

You see, I can sit here and say, "Creationism is possible" but a creationist would not say, "evolution is possible." Anyway, comparing Creationism to evolution is an age-old error. Evolution has nothing to do with creation, it has to do with change. The proper scientific equivalent is abiogenesis.

Yes because the scientific community is totally open minded to the idea of creation (sarcasm)...:rolleyes:
There are a multitude of creation myths, not merely your religion's version. But a myth is just that, a story without evidence. There's nothing to research, nothing to examine, no evidence. Just a shared, but otherwise unfounded, opinion.

As to belief, over 30% of all scientists believe in some sort of god. As to the notion of the scientific community and religion, that's what theology is about and yes, they receive grants to research religion, creationism, etc.

The biggest issue of the model of evolution is it cannot and does not even attempt to explain origin. How exactly can you say evolution is the correct theory when it cannot explain how RNA and DNA developed? How did non-life become life?
Right, that's the field of abiogenesis. Go look it up.

For the most important questions the model is irrelevant and breaks down every time.
You are incorrect. They have already created life out of non-life, thus demonstrating the viability of at least one abiogenesis theory.

Who cares if an ape can develop into a slightly smarter ape... What about the real questions about the origin of life.
The real questions? About the real questions about molecular rearrangement? How about the real questions pertaining to macroeconomics? Or perhaps the real questions on quantum mechanics?

Trying to give something else more relevance by adding in the word, "real" is a cute dance, but silly. Evolution pertains to the study of evolution, just as thermodynamics pertains to the relation of heat to work and other energy forms. Once again, what you're looking for is abiogenesis.

Did we get this clarified yet? Abiogenesis.

RNA is a complex machine designed for the goal for reproducing genetic material. Like any complex machine if you take out or warp any part, it ceases to function for its intended purpose. Evolution cannot explain this because for it to have evolved it would have had to been able to function at a simpler design. At some point you will always hit that point of non-function where adapting is not possible because there is not any function to adapt.
Umm, Willy, you really need to stop reading that crap written by people with limited education in biology. If you want, I could go into detail about this in a different thread, but please let me clarify that what you just said up there is just plain ... umm ... crap and also has nothing to do with this topic of macroevolution & microevolution.

DeletedUser

Well, Willy, if you want proof of something, you should definitely stay away from Creationism. :D

DeletedUser

Not really, one brings evidence to the table when it is found, the other brings nothing.
I'm not sure you can say the supposed word of a being that exists beyond the confines and restraints of the physical universe as we know it nothing.

Suppose instead of the greater question we are looking at the geological components of the sediment deposits on a river bed through the hydrological mechanics of the river and time. You pick a rock up and notice pieces of gold in it and declare that somewhere upstream there is a larger gold deposit. You make the assertion that it would be worth investing the time and money into finding it. Someone tells you no, it was put there by some being that exists outside that closed system. You are essentially saying impossible, because this is the way we know it to work. I say well, this guy told me he was throwing those rocks into the river 20 days ago. You say, impossible, show me proof that there even is a guy. oh, all you got it your word, it didn't happen then. You then say "because of how water pushes things down stream, because of the differences in sediment sizes and the bends in the river and so on, the only way this rock with gold in it got to this spot was by coming from upstream somewhere and nothing else can be considered". You then go and find more pieces of the rocks that look similar and claim it is proof that no one was throwing the rocks in the river as any point in time.

Sounds kind of stupid doesn't it.. So does this entire idea that science disproves a religion who's main protagonist isn't bound by the laws of nature, physics, or consciousness that we are. Science does not disprove things that are not scientifically testable. It only shows possible ways that something scientifically testable could have happened.

DeletedUser

Suppose instead of the greater question we are looking at the geological components of the sediment deposits on a river bed through the hydrological mechanics of the river and time. You pick a rock up and notice pieces of gold in it and declare that somewhere upstream there is a larger gold deposit. You make the assertion that it would be worth investing the time and money into finding it. Someone tells you no, it was put there by some being that exists outside that closed system. You are essentially saying impossible, because this is the way we know it to work. I say well, this guy told me he was throwing those rocks into the river 20 days ago. You say, impossible, show me proof that there even is a guy. oh, all you got it your word, it didn't happen then. You then say "because of how water pushes things down stream, because of the differences in sediment sizes and the bends in the river and so on, the only way this rock with gold in it got to this spot was by coming from upstream somewhere and nothing else can be considered". You then go and find more pieces of the rocks that look similar and claim it is proof that no one was throwing the rocks in the river as any point in time.

Sounds kind of stupid doesn't it..
It does sound stupid, but that's not the way science works. The scientist would look upstream for the mother lode that they thought must exist and by finding it or not would validate or invalidate their theory.

Science does not pay lip-service to religion. It concerns itself only with its own domain. It is only when religion trespasses on the field of science that it can say, with authority, "that is an inverifiable assertion, without predictive value or explanatory content; scientifically it is worthless - I pay it no heed".

Evolution by natural selection is as well established as any scientific theory - plate tectonics, quantum theory, relativity. Nothing from the ayatollahs of any religion has even come close to undermining it. If it ever needs modifying or scrapping it will be scientists who will provide the necessary work, thought and evidence.

Nothing about me cares what another person believes inside their head, but if they start talking twaddle in public I sometimes try to correct them both for their own sake and so that they don't misguide others.

DeletedUser

Evolution by natural selection is as well established as any scientific theory - plate tectonics, quantum theory, relativity. Nothing from the ayatollahs of any religion has even come close to undermining it. If it ever needs modifying or scrapping it will be scientists who will provide the necessary work, thought and evidence.
I do not have a problem with evolution as a theory. The problem is that it has become a state sponsored religion that is taught in schools as if it were proven fact, and the evidence that can be argued to support it, is not indisputable.

DeletedUser

I do not have a problem with evolution as a theory. The problem is that it has become a state sponsored religion that is taught in schools as if it were proven fact, and the evidence that can be argued to support it, is not indisputable.
I suppose you consider classical and quantum electrodynamics to be state sponsored religions too?

Evolution is both fact and theory, and is a research field of biology, which is a science. And to clarify, a "theory" in science is as close to a fact as can be obtained without a time machine. This is a typical false argument, trying to infer that a theory is some "idea" popped out by some guy with glasses. Theories in science are based on extensive and sound scientific examinations of evidence, mathematical analysis, chemical or biological validation, and are corroborated by preexisting laws in science (or in some cases present an alternative postulation regarding laws in science).

Creationism has none of that. It's a belief system, a story written in a book thousands of years ago by people who thought the world was flat and that, in the same book, wrote that the "ocean" above was separated from the "ocean below" by a "firmament," in that they thought space was the same sort of ocean as our h2o based waters, and that the Sun, the Moon, and the stars were held in place within the firmament.

All of this has been firmly debunked (through verifiable scientific means and simple visual confirmation through use of satellites, etc), as has many other ignorant presumptions posed in the Bible and other religious books. In this, there is no contest. There is absolutely nothing to corroborate the story of Creation, and in fact it has been demonstrated that the order of Creation, as posed in the Bible, is incorrect.

Does that make it not true? Well, yeah kinda.

On the other hand, Evolution, as both fact and theory, has literally millions upon millions of facts to corroborate. It has data, fossil evidence, lab recreations, documented observations, etc and so on.

Back to this topic, that of microevolution and macroevolution. Microevolution has been documented and the general "creationist" community acknowledges the facts of microevolution. However, they contest Macroevolution, despite the fact macroevolution is no different, except in scale, to microevolution and that there is ample evidence, "facts" of macroevolution.

It is this particular dismissal, that of dismissing macroevolution, that Creationists use to claim that evolution as a whole is a belief system without basis in fact. And yet, this is a false allegation. The premise to the argument is incorrect, as there is ample evidence, ample facts, to macroevolution.

DeletedUser

It does sound stupid, but that's not the way science works. The scientist would look upstream for the mother lode that they thought must exist and by finding it or not would validate or invalidate their theory.
Well, I probably picked the wrong mineral as gold will likely be in about any stream in some concentration that was ever glaciated over. But if you are willing to ignore that, so will I.

Anyways, I do not find fault with looking, or even looking and discovering whatever you are after. I find fault or the stupidity in the part where all the sudden someone is wrong because it has to be a certain way and nothing else could ever be possible. It's not the process or what is found, it's the exclusion of anything else and insistence that there is only one way, from upstream.

Science does not pay lip-service to religion. It concerns itself only with its own domain. It is only when religion trespasses on the field of science that it can say, with authority, "that is an inverifiable assertion, without predictive value or explanatory content; scientifically it is worthless - I pay it no heed".
I find this part the most interesting of all. What makes science so holy or sacred that someone cannot hold a belief different then what it dictates?

In the normal world, the person with the most accurate information would simply be the most successful and eventually the others would catch on. Further, why science is important is because we build information from information and are able to use that to our advantage and create tools that better life and society. But if someone is not in a position to do that, as long as they know the information is there, what difference does it really make if they choose to believe someone threw the rocks into the river instead of them coming from upstream?

Nothing about me cares what another person believes inside their head, but if they start talking twaddle in public I sometimes try to correct them both for their own sake and so that they don't misguide others.
So science disproves religion? Or is there only one way to think? Is that what you are saying? You see, I do not typically see religious people going out and saying science or evolution is wrong and pushing creation or the touch of a noodly appendage or some freakin spaceship something or other. It is generally the result of a loaded question usually presented by a self proclaimed atheist wanting to troll a forum or message board.

In this day and age, everyone has had evolution curriculum in school so they are at least familiar with the concept, but unless they are in a field of some sort that is dependent on it, what makes the difference if they want to believe something else happened? Or maybe a better question might be, what is so important about evolution or creation that you feel the need to impose your specific belief onto someone and they are not allowed to have any opinion or idea of their own? Why do you insist everyone, even the people who will never use the information in their life at all, think only the way you do? Why not just laugh and let them be?

DeletedUser

It is this particular dismissal, that of dismissing macroevolution, that Creationists use to claim that evolution as a whole is a belief system without basis in fact. And yet, this is a false allegation. The premise to the argument is incorrect, as there is ample evidence, ample facts, to macroevolution.

Well here is the issue; evolution is just a small part of the overall theory that every thing came about by chance. You can call it evolution, the big bang, or abiogenesis; it comes down to the same idea. Intelligent design states by deductive reasoning that the apparent infinite complexity of the design of the universe is proof in it's self of the designer behind the design. The other camp using circular logic states that the fact of existence proves that it did happen by chance.

Its likened to the chance of a cyclone going though a junkyard and assembling a fully functional aircraft running with fuel and all, but only worse. Its like if you saw a aircraft outside a junkyard and stated, "a twister must have went though that junk yard and assembled it." I say, "no it must have been designed and created and left out side of this junk yard because of its complexity." You say, "no that it just seems complex and that eventually with all the cyclones going through junkyards eventually this had to have happened." I say, "no the design is too complex for that to have happened..." You say, "its here it had to have happened that way.":huh:

DeletedUser

I find fault or the stupidity in the part where all the sudden someone is wrong because it has to be a certain way and nothing else could ever be possible.
Well, your beef is with religious dogma, not science.
What makes science so holy or sacred that someone cannot hold a belief different then what it dictates?.
No, that's religion again. Science dictates nothing - there are no sacred cows; everything is up for grabs and as long as it fits experimental data (aka "the real world"), anything goes.

So science disproves religion?
Anyone who understands science knows that it is not in the "proving" business.
If religious types attempt to insert their dogmas into the empirical arena then scientists are likely to call them to account, otherwise they pretty much ignore religion. Most religous types don't do this but there are a few that do.

And in response to this:
"Nothing about me cares what another person believes inside their head"
You posted this:
Or maybe a better question might be, what is so important about evolution or creation that you feel the need to impose your specific belief onto someone and they are not allowed to have any opinion or idea of their own? Why do you insist everyone, even the people who will never use the information in their life at all, think only the way you do? Why not just laugh and let them be?
If you're replying to a quote please ensure that you read and understand it first.

@WillyPete. The best recent rational treatment of the intelligent design argument is Dawkin's The Blind Watchmaker. Even if you insist on disagreeing with its contents you are bound to find it thought-provoking.
Simple rules can lead to complex results. If you saw a snowflake you would probably think it the work of a creative personality, but we know that it's just what comes out if you freeze water in a certain way. I believe that intelligence and consciousness are also emergent properties of neural networks - it just makes more sense to me to think that they are complexities that arise from simple rules than that they are themselves simplifications exuded by something even more complex.Go with whatever feels right for you, but the idea that science is some sort of global government conspiracy? To me that's flaky.

DeletedUser

@WillyPete. The best recent rational treatment of the intelligent design argument is Dawkin's The Blind Watchmaker. Even if you insist on disagreeing with its contents you are bound to find it thought-provoking.
Simple rules can lead to complex results. If you saw a snowflake you would probably think it the work of a creative personality, but we know that it's just what comes out if you freeze water in a certain way. I believe that intelligence and consciousness are also emergent properties of neural networks - it just makes more sense to me to think that they are complexities that arise from simple rules than that they are themselves simplifications exuded by something even more complex.Go with whatever feels right for you, but the idea that science is some sort of global government conspiracy? To me that's flaky.

Well yes it is an interesting read, there is another explanation. Every year a new Ford comes out slightly better than the previous version. One would not argue that because of their similarities that they morph into slightly better or worse/different versions of them self, only that they are made by the same company.

And as far as the rules creating design, well who creates the rules? Rules are not random... they are results of intelligence. Take you computer program example. The rules are designed to make certain results happen. Some times they are unintended but they are specific and designed.

I have seen the program you are referring to. It is indeed interesting the patterns that emerge, but some one made the rules and designed the system that the rules were applied to. Chaos is the only result of complete randomness. If you doubt this, take a box of Lego's, and see how many complex designs you get by taking the box and randomly shaking it around.

DeletedUser

'Microevolution' + 3.5 billion years (or thereabouts) = 'Macroevolution'

Serious biological scientists don't even make such a distinction, since evolution is a continuous process. The concept of a 'species' is really only useful over very short timescales (geologically speaking)--say, less than 100,000 years or so. There are no 'gaps' in the fossil record, because all samples are transitional.
The only people who claim otherwise tend to be motivated by religious dogma and faith, rather than observational evidence and analysis.
Then most biological scientists are not serious and are motivated by religious dogma and faith...? I don't think they are not serious...;)
Macro evolution is just a term to dodge the evidence that animals do not evolve slowly into different kinds of animals. The fossil evidence supports that many different kinds of animals appeared in the same time period (supporting the creation model) contrary to the prior evolutionary model. To explain this away they said, "well there must have been an evolutionary event that we have no evidence to support. And these evolutionary events that we just made up now, must occur every undefined now and then..." (paraphrasing)

Micro evolution is just a term to describe animals adapting to their changing environment and available resources. I prefer the term adaptation as it does not support the claim of macro evolution, rather animals tend to adapt and re-adapt to change but not into other kinds of animals, which explains why there are still less developed species instead of all highly evolved ones.

Seen any miracles lately? No, me neither.

Yes, everything is a miracle. Existence, life... everything. It is all a miracle as it is created by God. The miracles you are referring to are the exceptions made to rules, but you forget the rules themselves are miracles, for instance do you really understand the concept of gravity? How does it work? Sure it is a miracle to be able to at will suspend gravity but gravity itself is beyond our knowledge. How it got there is as much as a miracle as anything ells, only we are just used to it being there. Do you know it will be there tomorrow? why? because it has always been here? Actually it was not always here we only think of it that way. So how do you know it will be here? Faith. Faith is the evident expectation based on the things perceived.

I perceive that God is the designer of the universe based on the design of creation. If I saw a house I would believe some one built that house, I don't have to see the work permit.

DeletedUser

Kidkade and Willy, you're being silly. The scientist and the creationist meet. The creationist tells the scientist he should be researching intelligent design, the scientist asks if there is any data or evidence to support it, the creationist says, "everything is evidence." The scientist then asks, "and how do you conclude that everything supports intelligent design?" The creationist says, "what else could it be?" At which point the scientist answers, "that's what i'm researching."

You see, a creationist argues intelligent design as the reason for all things, based on insufficient evidence. He then runs on that unsubstantiated premise and concludes the intelligent designer is "his" god (actually, he starts with the premise of God, and grabs anything to substantiate his premise, dismissing anything that disputes or puts question to that premise, but whatever --- hokey religion and their hokey logic).

So a premise based on insufficient data, and a conclusion based on no data whatsoever.

Intelligent design is referred to as couch potato science. Rather than doing any research, those advocating intelligent design point to things and say, "see that proves it," when it does nothing of the kind. When questioned, the arrogant response is essentially, "it's so complex that i can't figure it all out, so it had to be created by someone smarter than me, and of course that had to be God."

The concept of creationism sits squarely on the premise, on the belief, of intelligent design. Unfortunately, and precisely because it is a belief, it intentionally ignores all other possibilities.

That's not science. Science considers all possibilities, but only researches what "can" be researched. So while you can go on and on about God, your ramblings have nothing to offer to the scientific community. Just as the notion of "chi" was based on an incorrect understanding of the atmosphere, gasses, respiratory and cardiovascular systems, so too is the notion of creation based on erroneous assumptions.

To parody Mony Python, "a primitive and ignorant man making a sweeping and unfounded conclusion, thousands of years ago while herding his sheep, is no basis for a system of modern scientific research."

DeletedUser

Pace those who have been claiming that The Theory of Evolution is an imposed dogma, this today from a UK national paper:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/jun/24/battle-of-the-professors
Showing that debate, intellectual honesty, open-mindedness and plurality of opinion is, as it should be, alive and well among those who look for the truth only by examining facts.

As for the claim that supporters of The Theory of Evolution are attacking the beliefs of others, it is also what Creationists are doing - that is the essence of D&D. If you find something morally repugnant in trying to influence the beliefs of another person, stay off the forum.