Maps discoveries.

DeletedUser

My idea is simple, actually.
When you first start, the map is completely dark (or blank, whichever rocks your boat). As the player ventures out, the map will slowly open up showing only those towns you've already been to, and/or jobs you've already worked on.
I believe this will make it more interesting for all players, but especially for adventurers because they have to find the job, and for duelers as they have to actually find others, instead of just looking at the map for a town that looks smaller than yours to attack.

Those who choose to stay on their vicinity will only see that area, those who venture out might find interesting things along the way (maybe a special quest, or found item, etc..)

What does everyone think? All positive reinforcements welcome, but only constructive criticism wanted, please (in other words, don't just write "it sucks", tell me why you didn't like it, maybe we can change it a little).
:indian:

DeletedUser

As you only can travel to job locations and cities, having the map pitch black could be a problem... ;)

*edit*
I like games with that feature, but i don't think it'll work very well in this game :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

As you only can travel to job locations and cities, having the map pitch black could be a problem... ;)

*edit*
I like games with that feature, but i don't think it'll work very well in this game :)

You're right..I didn't think about the fact that you can only walk to a job or town...then that means I'm asking for too much because the logical solution is to change the way we travel, and I think this might be too much of a change for this game judging by other suggestions that were pretty much shut down because of the massive amount of work it would take to implement it.
Well, there goes another idea....
Thanks Tobababy.

DeletedUser

that wud be VERY unhelpful for players as i wud waste time searching for the jobs and i dont kill people by searching by the size of their town....... this isnt Age Of Empires man

DeletedUser

WAY too much time looking for a job that just out of site.

Besides, what would this add to the game? What would be the purpose of not knowing where anything is.

DeletedUser

Nay to fog of war.

You generally won't get a favorable response to any suggestion that takes away something from everybody.

DeletedUser1105

It's not just that it takes away, it's that it wouldn't work with the logistics that are in place either, as mentioned above.

DeletedUser

I usually like fog of war in most games. It would need some tweaking for this one. I'd entertain a realistic modification of it if one can be thunk up.

If you're looking for ways of tweaking travel to spice things up, how about this one?

DeletedUser

I generally love fog in RPGs (not always in strategies, though), as it feels more realistic to not know where you're going. Three possible ways to make it work here:

1. Players can choose to move 1 screen left or right from their position (quickly opening up the map).

2. A certain radius from any job is automatically revealed, allowing you to see nearby jobs. Players would have to travel to outlying jobs to see what's beyond them.

3. A job or store will offer a use item - a map that reveals one random screen of still-fogged territory (never an already cleared one).

All three options are possible, if you wish to pursue the idea further. As for whether to incorperate fog at this time, I have to vote against. There are still flaws in the game that need worked out and so many new things about to be added that have more impact on the gameplay that this idea (were any bugs to be worked out) would take low priority anyway.

DeletedUser

I generally love fog in RPGs (not always in strategies, though), as it feels more realistic to not know where you're going. Three possible ways to make it work here:

1. Players can choose to move 1 screen left or right from their position (quickly opening up the map).

2. A certain radius from any job is automatically revealed, allowing you to see nearby jobs. Players would have to travel to outlying jobs to see what's beyond them.

3. A job or store will offer a use item - a map that reveals one random screen of still-fogged territory (never an already cleared one).

All three options are possible, if you wish to pursue the idea further. As for whether to incorperate fog at this time, I have to vote against. There are still flaws in the game that need worked out and so many new things about to be added that have more impact on the gameplay that this idea (were any bugs to be worked out) would take low priority anyway.

I like #3.

DeletedUser

You're right..I didn't think about the fact that you can only walk to a job or town...then that means I'm asking for too much because the logical solution is to change the way we travel, and I think this might be too much of a change for this game judging by other suggestions that were pretty much shut down because of the massive amount of work it would take to implement it.
Well, there goes another idea....
Thanks Tobababy.

It might work better if they implement routing/routefinding into the game.

DeletedUser

the only way i could see this work is if players had a Line of Sight or if towns had a cartographer building that revealed more squares the more it was upgraded until the entire map was revealed

DeletedUser

the only way i could see this work is if players had a Line of Sight or if towns had a cartographer building that revealed more squares the more it was upgraded until the entire map was revealed

Oh, I like that! Cartographer, yeah... and the more you reveal, the more jobs become available (by being revealed) nearby, drawing more people. "Exploration" could even be a job to be worked at (or at least starting from) the cartographer's office. Lots of possibilities here.

Very cool -- someday. ;)

DeletedUser

I still don't like it. If w6 had started with this would every town still be on the right edge of the map?

DeletedUser

I still don't like it. If w6 had started with this would every town still be on the right edge of the map?

Probably more like that than it is now. But, there are certainly ways to tweak that. I can see the adventurer class -- or perhaps the soldier class -- sprouting a subclass of explorer, lighting up trails further west for settlers to follow. Perhaps have a discoverer's reward of, maybe, $50 for every new town site discovered, and $20 for every job site, payable on return to a town?

Just thinkin' out loud here....

DeletedUser

Perhaps have a discoverer's reward of, maybe, $50 for every new town site discovered, and $20 for every job site, payable on return to a town?

Discovered as in actually visiting the site? Well...it's moot, it would only be a factor on w7.

Edit: And I shouldn't have really called this "Fog of War". That isn't where you can't see it until you've seen it. It's where you have to have a unit in the area to see it. It would make more sense if you could see a radius about people from your town, but that's kind of pointless too, because how much do they really spread out?

DeletedUser

Yeah, visiting. Scouting it out. Y'know, like an explorer would do. :) That would make the report valuable, hence the payment for it when it's delivered to a town.

Hmmmm... we could have each town uniquely "own" these reports after buying them, and sell them in the shops... then a player buys one, puts it in his product slot, and it puts the town location on his minimap as a town founding site dot. This has a lot of possibilities!

If FoW is the wrong term, I don't know the right one.

DeletedUser

It might work in both cases, but I think of it most in the Civilization series sense, which uses it the way I said.

Edit: The term "Fog of War" I mean.

DeletedUser

The original idea (and again, I didn't take into account that we can currently only move to jobs, or towns), was that for a single player, the map would start all dark. As you move around the map, wherever you go it would automatically clear, and give you jobs, or towns nearby.
Of course, joining a town would automatically ensured a clear area from that town....say, depending on the town's size for example.
Also, whenever someone from a town clears an area for themselves, it automatically becomes clear to the rest of the town members when that person returns to the town.
Quite a few responses, and suggestions were given here...that's why I like discussions.

"It has been suggested before..."..well, that actually reiterates, that I might not be the only one thinking along the same lines.

"You generally won't get a favorable response to any suggestion that takes away something from everybody..." And yet, I keep reading post after post from people complaining about duelers and how to limit them.

Luap Nor made a suggestion about making all those pretty rivers, forests, mountains, etc..more than just decorations.
This would just be added to that. Maybe even have areas blocked off by trees, and finding the one small route by getting the map after completing a quest.
I don't know..these are just ideas, and I don't see it being implemented in the near future unless the devs were already working on it to start with, but at the same time, it has to start somewhere, right?
:unsure: