Man-made climate change - any doubters left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

I'd say it's more that a lot of people tend to put the liberal label on anything that would restrict their ability to do what they want to or cost them money.

DeletedUser

I think the problem in the US is that, perhaps by association with Al Gore, AGW is seen as a 'liberal' cause, and people react out of pure emotion. Over here in Europe it's not so politically nuanced, so the debate is more objective and mature.

other then the us and france most of europe in majority rejects man made global warming

DeletedUser22575

sooooo acording to your article a liberal democrat told nixon about possible global warming and he said lets look into it and that makes him pro global warming ? rofl your stretching more then mr fantastic there bud

It made him just what i said he was...concerned about it.

DeletedUser

It made him just what i said he was...concerned about it.
as would any president presenting with a POSSIBLE danger doesnt mean he was a supporter or even that he beleived it only that the evidence presented to him was feasable enuff to merit looking into

DeletedUser22575

as would any president presenting with a POSSIBLE danger doesnt mean he was a supporter or even that he beleived it only that the evidence presented to him was feasable enuff to merit looking into

Which is why he established the EPA no doubt, because he thought there was a possible threat, not a real one.

And why he established the first Earth Day.

"Nixon established the Environmental Protection Agency and had an interest in the environment. In one memo, Moynihan noted his approval of the first Earth Day, to be held April 22, 1970."

http://www.epa.gov/history/topics/epa/15b.htm

I suppose now your going to claim Nixon was some secret closet liberal.

DeletedUser

I suppose now your going to claim Nixon was some secret closet liberal.

People in denial always find a reason to justify their state.

And does it really matter if climate change is a consequence of destructive human activity or not? Shouldn't we be taking care of the world around us as a way of giving back something to the environment that has provided us with all the resources needed for our survival? Why do we need a reason to look after the planet Earth? I personally think us, human as a species, have collectively been exploiting the environment around us for many centuries without even caring about the possible consequences. It is only when we hear of the possible future harm to us, that we start taking some actions which would benefit the world around us and even then we have people arguing about whose or what's to blame for the damage. This is despicable! Stop wasting time playing the blame game and making excuses!

DeletedUser

Why do we need a reason to look after the planet Earth?

very easy the planet is self regulating so if we do anything that we may think is helping we may in fact be destroying it.

how do you think we got in and out of 2 ice ages. since there was no high quantities of Human's burning fossil fuels 300 million years ago (The Karoo Ice Age era or the second ice age)

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
I'd say it's more that a lot of people tend to put the liberal label on anything that would restrict their ability to do what they want to or cost them money.

I wonder why they say liberal when they mean to exact opposite.

very easy the planet is self regulating so if we do anything that we may think is helping we may in fact be destroying it.

how do you think we got in and out of 2 ice age. since there swas no high quantities of Human's burning fossil fuels 300 million years ago (The Karoo Ice Age era or the second ice age)

1. You have no sense of time
2. Assuming that, the problem may be naturally solved by cutting us out of the loop

Last edited:

DeletedUser

The issue is not about the planet, it's about the human race. The planet is bound to survive, but are we? In terms of what people need to survive - food, water, clothing, fuel etc. we have pretty good idea what's necessary and a good understanding of how to get it. In that sense we can easily tell the difference between helping and destroying.

DeletedUser16008

Is there global warming ? Yes

Does it pose a serious threat ? yes although its not clear on what timeline.

Is it man made ? Not entirely no but its definitely enhanced

Is anything being done about it ? No not really its impossible without real world cooperation and it wont happen anytime soon.

Has it been hijacked by big business ? Absolutely. Youll soon find yourselves paying green taxes and the money wont be going to a better world either because 2/3 will not be willing nor able to go green.

Business knows this so while in some countries that business arm may will be green, in others it will be anything but... they will however still be there making "dirty money" whilst also gaining more from green taxes but they wont be telling you that.

They will just be showcasing the latest green car run on water/methane for the folks watching tv in some countries whilst sucking more oil out of say Nigeria and causing numerous disasters and sweeping them under the carpet as usual.

Cynical ? you bet I am, I know some of these companies and how they play and its not by the moral or green rulebook I assure you.

One more point.

Is it the biggest threat out there ? Well sort of. World population growth and extended aging is by far the greatest,... that is of course linked to everything, resources, food water etc.. dont deal with that somehow and thats going to be exponential in the growth of problems out there and does have a timeline of our lifespan probably.

DeletedUser8675

I still doubt it.
Really just an idea, blown up by business to try and make money.
How are they making money?
Green taxes as vic said
Buying new "earth friendly" cars (I know life revolves around oil, but they are still trying to push more green cars and ethanol gas)
etc etc etc etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The oil industry makes more money off of gas-guzzling cars, and car companies would make the same money from gas-guzzlers as they do from "earth friendly" cars; so no, there is no good motive to promote green industry from that angle.
And if the government is so bent on making money off carbon taxes, then why did it dole out billions of dollars for cash-for-clunkers? As far as I can tell the government has lost more money than it's gained from environmental policies.

DeletedUser16008

The oil industry makes more money off of gas-guzzling cars, and car companies would make the same money from gas-guzzlers as they do from "earth friendly" cars; so no, there is no good motive to promote green industry from that angle.
And if the government is so bent on making money off carbon taxes, then why did it dole out billions of dollars for cash-for-clunkers? As far as I can tell the government has lost more money than it's gained from environmental policies.

Ollie the oil industry makes money from just about everything you can imagine direct or indirectly.

Your transport... cars trains buses boats you name it diesel or not

Food ... its all down to oil. the feed for the animals the fertilizer,the heating, harvesting it refining it transporting it to the shops. r

Clothing..... petroleum is used in an awful lot of fabrics, manufacturing through the whole process from harvesting the raw materials, through to delivery at the outlet.

Materials.... plastic is a good example as it needs petroleum is one of the biggest users of petroleum in industry.All other materials require petroleum to extract refine and transport.

Products.... There is virtually nothing that does not have a reliance on petroleum at some stage of its life cycle.

Even the water you drink and the veg you grow in your garden will have a dependency on petroleum to some degree.

So there you have it, other than finance that prints paper out of thin air and gives it a worth ( a joke ) the Oil & Gas related industry is by far the biggest and most profitable on the planet.

You don't turn honestly believe they will accept anything other than rising profits and as like that will be compensated at the very least with offsetting by some levy or other on the rest of us.

Until profit and the greed for money is put in perspective over quality of survival we will never fix our problems.

Think about it when you are told you will have to live at home with your parents and sorry but one car between all the house there will be a ration on what you can buy and how much of it you can have.

People will talk all about what is needed to be done but when it comes down to it they wont be prepared to take the pain, we have been conditioned to expect too much.

DeletedUser

Well said Victor. Governmental response to the AGW crisis seems to be to set up a 'green industry' on the capitalist market model - a buying and selling of carbon credits or whatever. We are supposed to believe that by driving a hybrid car or paying some 'carbon-offset contribution' when we fly that we have suddenly become virtuous custodians of the planet. Obviously, such bunkum should not be confused with genuine responsible behaviour, and if people thought that this was actually a 'green' agenda I could forgive them their cynicism.

DeletedUser

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100905/ap_on_re_as/as_new_zealand_earthquake

increased and surpizing volcanic and earthquake activity to me seems to point twaards something far mroe going on then whats being discussed in general everyones sooo quick to jump to it being mans fault that there ignoring all the things goin on that man has no control over , earth quakes , volcanic activity solar activity , magnetic polar activity , to lump it all in and say oh its people fault for driving cars and raising cows that fart to much is oversimplistic at best and at worst a disservice to the entire planet and human race

DeletedUser

Indeed it is Spider, so maybe you should find out what Climate Change actually encompasses before you write any more ridiculous things.

Status
Not open for further replies.