Kony 2012

• Thread starter DeletedUser17143
  • Start date

DeletedUser17143

So I thought I'd throw this out there considering it is all over Facebook, YouTube and Twitter and probably a million more social networking sites.

So what does everyone think of the Kony 2012 campaign?

If you haven't seen it, here is the video. (Be warned, it's 30 minutes. So I hope you're sitting comfortably.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc

DeletedUser563

Ok I'm about 10 minutes in. So first thoughts is there is no real background to the story. There is this allegations but ok must I go and research them myself...Furthermore , we dont really know whether this story isnt influenced by social factors. Its street kids without food you come there and offer them food etc for 2 weeks... well? where is this even shot... such a disjointed story.

DeletedUser

Meh, you should have bothered to watch the whole 30 minutes before commenting. As it is, I already knew about Kony and his religious crusade using children and violence so I don't have to write silly updates every 10 minutes of the video.

The Kony 2012 scene is an effort to bring attention to Joseph Kony. Specifically, it's geared to make him famous, or at least notorious, via the internet. The goal is to utilize the internet population to spread the word, to make him "seen" by all eyes of the world and thus force politicians to act. It's a sound, if not necessarily comfortable, tactic.

DeletedUser563

20 mins 100 advisers is sent in...wow all they needed was 100 advisers :p;)

Lol 30 mins . They could not capture him with his 30000 soldiers for 20 years but 100 advisers is gonna change it. And you need to bring in probably millions in funding so the Us government dont pull their 100 advisers. Call me cynical but that was the most stupid nonsense I have seen in my life. And the motivation behind everyone knowing him in the whole world : 100 advisers :D

Not that i dont believe in the atrocities etc but really 100 advisers. What a token gesture. Ok lol that was funny...thx for posting.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser17143

The point isn't just to keep the 100 advisers. If that were the case it would be an American campaign only. It just so happens it has turned into a global matter. There is a larger goal. What if all countries were to send 100 advisers. And it's not like they just send 100 people dressed nicely in uniform. They send 100 men and women with the equipment to seek out radio signals, and use other equipment to track the location of him and his army. He isn't #1 most wanted in America. He is the #1 most wanted in the world. Ghaddafi was number 24. That shows how bad this guy is.

I personally don't see this as "stupid nonsense". I see it as a chance for the whole world to stand up and show criminals that what they are doing is not acceptable. To give them the same level of exposure as Hollywood celebrities and to make people realise that our choices can affect politics in the world. And that the voice of many is louder than the voice of a few. And most importantly show our political leaders that ALL war crimes matter to us, even when they happen in countries without huge oil reserves. And by doing this we all become one step closer to a world where true peace actually exists and isn't just a silly dream that the media tries to make us think we are living in.

DeletedUser563

The thing is they say everyone must know of him so that the government gets involved. They never say exactly what they wanted the Us goverment to do. 100 advisers...Victory! almost in the video. Lets face it if you read wikipedia you would see that his army was at one time about 100000 strong then the government took them on and reduced their numbers to the hundreds. So they could kill him if they wanted to. But they don't? Why , if you read further there is here and there a hint of oppression etc etc. So kill the bad guy and perhaps all the attention then turn to them. I also did not like the fact that he involved his kid. Thats disgraceful. Also he never spoke to any man in the street..give me the opinion of the common folk in the main city. Only opposing politicians Just following links there is several concerns expressed..one that i dont mind that they are advocating violence(no other way to solve this)...they did not answer questions from the BBB. I also did not like the sales pitch. The government has according to their foreign policies took action. So what is the purpose of their campaigns more action. So the french foreign legion or any other mercenary group that regularly operated in Africa gets involved sends 2000 mercenaries in +- 5000 child soldiers and kony killed .. end of story. That will be the natural end of your involvement or as you like to call it Project Kony 2012.

But Ok africas problems must be solved by africa so the African Union. There was no mention that they ever asked the African Unions take on this or asked them to intervene. So its like always this interference in Africa because Africans cannot solve their own problems which is simply not true. But please just send out the gory pictures in the end so that Americans can see what their interference leads to.

DeletedUser30834

My GAWD, that video starts so annoyingly. I had to drag my fingernails down a chalk board just to through the first 7 minutes. Then it is painful to watch with narration that sent my dog into a howling fit rivaled by EMS equipment screaming down the road. I had to turn on the stereo and listen to death metal just to get through it. Then they got the foreign people talking who you can't understand with subtitles beneath it saying the craziest of things. Then the little kid getting indoctrinated into the hate...lol what a great dad, exploiting his kid for his own ambitions..

First, why arrest Kony? Just kill him and get it over with. If there was no gun restrictions and the area wasn't ruled by corruption, he would likely be dead already. If he did this in the US, he would likely be killed by the very children he was trying to take and force into service. I mean we get shootouts in Camden NJ because someone wanted the pair of shoes or jacket that another kid was wearing. In East St Louis IL, turning down the wrong street can get you in the middle of a gun fight over who was going to rob you. And I don't think our brothers in compton have been ignored by hollywood in how ridiculous it can be there. I'm not saying turn Uganda into a crime ridden armpit of the world, but if they had the ability to defend themselves and the government wasn't as riddled with corruption, the entire need for this movement would/should/could probably been settled by now.

Second, isn't this just another situation of the US putting it's nose into some other country's business? How can anyone who apposes our other incursions into foreign areas actually support this? I've known about Kony for about a decade now and don't think there is any reason for us to get involved. Kony has even been brought up at that joke of an organization called the UN who is afraid of taking action against Kony after their 2006 attempt failed miserably. There is no national security interest in it. We have heard the cry in the past, "we are not the world's police". I simply don't see why we are there now when we did nothing to stop the slaughter in Rwanda and Darfur.

Finally, as I have been informed in another thread by someone I'm sure will be really vocal on this post, historical precedent takes priority. And since wars, rebellions, and civil wars have been fought like this since the beginning of time and society has no right to regroup and declare something improper or unacceptable, we should ignore it and let them do what has traditionally been done. OF course I don't think he should be allowed to continue, but I'm not sure why the US is being called to do something when the rest of the world seems completely content. The lay people may no know who Kony is, but I can guarantee you that the vast majority of political leaders do, and if they do not, they likely shouldn't be in office.

DeletedUser563

yes sumdumass the us would be better out of this than in,and the thing I did not even voice is would they consider the deaths of "child soldiers" acceptable in capturing him. Yes I was also thinking about why they dont just blast him a few shots when he walks past them ("after all he did kill their parents") but remember from a better documentary they are hooked on drugs or something and is constantly zonked out of their heads .

of course you are not just gonna waltz into his camp and capture him. imagine 200 guns armed .

And yeah that was exactly why I called it stupid nonsense it sounded like a mixture of "the secret" and a michael moore documentary. moore is atleast funny sometimes. this guy just has this nasal whiny monotonous voice throughout.

DeletedUser30834

Well, good point. I wasn't even pondering the implications of the US purposely killing children in an effort to get to him.

As for the kids killing kony themselves, I would imagine that before they ever get a hold of a gun, they are brainwashed and somewhat suffering from **Stockholm Syndrome let alone surrounded by some who are and would fear their own immediate death.

** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

Historically speaking though, war has had the conquered people being taken prisoner and eventually serving in the army of their new overlords as slaves or regular service members in the military. The Romans did this quite well and if I remember right, was even able to get the enlisted men to attack their former homeland a few times. Slaves in the south voluntarily fought for the south during the civil war in some engagements. You even hear the occasional story of a prison inmate protecting a guard or criminal helping a cop during a prison uprising or escape attemp or whatever. These actions may be a case of the Stockholm syndrome or perhaps something else is at play there too. If I knew I had nothing to go back to and no way to support myself, I might just assimilate too if I was treated decent enough.

DeletedUser16008

I am very uncomfortable about this, Kony is a small time player true he's not a good person at all but I fear this is a publicity exercise and using Kony as the boogy man, when the state dept gets behind something my bells start ringing. The young are being shown this stuff in schools and something about it targeting the gullible section to encourage action, i see a media circus in action here and it makes me uncomfortable about the reasons behind the scenes.There is no getting away from it this is a pro war movie documentry and that always bothers me.

Really have to wonder where it begins and ends if after all the ignored atrocities and genocide throughout the African continent why now ? and for a warlord with probably no more than a few hundred soldiers.Africa is full of despots, warlords and nasty such groups.

I do wonder if this isnt more about resources and China having such a presence on this continent, Sudan and Zimbabwe especially. Only last year the UN backed rebels killing thousands or more in the ivory coast attempting to help overthrow the elected government. Weve had Libya, Somalia is a hotbed, Kenya is destabilizing, Odinga the prime minister there claims to be Obamas cousin, Congo Tanzania Ethiopia are all unstable.... the whole continent is resource rich but unbelievably poor and crimes against children and all others go on on a vast scale. Call me cynical but I think this is about positioning for resources more than anything else....

Africa could very easily become a crisis once involved that grows to a war on a continental scale very very easily and they will use Muslim vs Christian cards and factions killing back and forth.

Im stumped on this one. Human rights im all for but how do you decide whos good and bad when everyone seems to be guilty ?

DeletedUser

If you want to call it anything, call it a social experiment. The goal is to see if they can motivate the internet community to influence governments and thus act against bad guys instead of act only if there's a financial interest.

DeletedUser16008

If you want to call it anything, call it a social experiment. The goal is to see if they can motivate the internet community to influence governments and thus act against bad guys instead of act only if there's a financial interest.

You sure about that goal ? seems to me its an experiment alright, but advocting war is never a good thing... youd think it would be easy enough just so have the guy rubbed out with a special merc unit.. in fact im sure it is. something really dosnt feel right about this although no denying the guy is very bad news hes been around for decades... Nope not happy about this one at all

DeletedUser30834

I don't know why it would have to be a social experiment. This has already been proven to work with concepts like Global warming. The same tactic was used with "an inconvenient truth" and all the little kiddies went home crying that the polar bears was going to die because mommie put gas in the car. "Captain Planet" probably did more to shape the occupy movement then anything that exists in reality.

Or do you mean experiment as in can a few people convince the US government to goto war as apposed to some corporate overlord doing the same?

DeletedUser

I am very uncomfortable about this, Kony is a small time player true he's not a good person at all but I fear this is a publicity exercise and using Kony as the boogy man, when the state dept gets behind something my bells start ringing. The young are being shown this stuff in schools and something about it targeting the gullible section to encourage action, i see a media circus in action here and it makes me uncomfortable about the reasons behind the scenes.There is no getting away from it this is a pro war movie documentry and that always bothers me.

Really have to wonder where it begins and ends if after all the ignored atrocities and genocide throughout the African continent why now ? and for a warlord with probably no more than a few hundred soldiers.Africa is full of despots, warlords and nasty such groups.

I do wonder if this isnt more about resources and China having such a presence on this continent, Sudan and Zimbabwe especially. Only last year the UN backed rebels killing thousands or more in the ivory coast attempting to help overthrow the elected government. Weve had Libya, Somalia is a hotbed, Kenya is destabilizing, Odinga the prime minister there claims to be Obamas cousin, Congo Tanzania Ethiopia are all unstable.... the whole continent is resource rich but unbelievably poor and crimes against children and all others go on on a vast scale. Call me cynical but I think this is about positioning for resources more than anything else....

Africa could very easily become a crisis once involved that grows to a war on a continental scale very very easily and they will use Muslim vs Christian cards and factions killing back and forth.

Im stumped on this one. Human rights im all for but how do you decide whos good and bad when everyone seems to be guilty ?
It's the Iraq war all over again. Politicians played the heart strings of the gullible masses to invade a country without provocation, and the private sector raked in the blood soaked cash.

DeletedUser30834

There was provocation. Just not enough to warrant war for most people of the world.

DeletedUser17143

There was provocation. Just not enough to warrant war for most people of the world.

There was indeed provocation. We all know that Iraq was only invaded because Saddam had links to Al-Qaeda, who had of course attacked the US on September 11th and Bush was still sore about that. So then the US made up all of the rubbish about WMD and Cruise Missiles to lure the rest of the world in to help them. Unfortunately, the UK believed them, which sucks balls.

Personally I support this Kony idea, I think its great to use social networks to get ideas out there and to make people realise what is happening in the world. Because as the video points out, money always influences what happens in the world. But it doesn't have to be like that. I don't want the US to be involved in Uganda. Because I hate the US government. They actually disgust me. And I would hate for Uganda to have to suffer at the hands of their own military, Kony and the US. But making people, like Joseph Kony infamous around the world is a good deed. And one that I will happily support.

DeletedUser563

Actually I read an article whereupon the tribe (ashuri or something like that)that was affected by Kony's actions said they do not want him killed or standing before a court. In their words they would rather see further attempts made at peace and reconciliation.

Other persons just amplified what I was saying and said that they were looking for the African Union to be involved in this but didn't appreciate the U.S. presence.

Ps at this stage we can say there is some good and bad points to the whole campaign
1. That early warning system seems a good idea.
2. Help to affected communities is also a good idea.

Bad

1. Not enough was done to get the African union involved. It was clear that this issue was discussed with American politicians but no attempts apparently was made to discuss this with the African Union or other African statesmen.
2. It also does not appear that the opinion of the tribe elders and the common man in the street was ever taken. And I refer specifically to what I said about the people actually affected.
3. Children is killed and will be continued to be killed in the efforts to arrest Kony.
4. Efforts at a peaceful resolution of the matter is swept under the blanked statement Kony does not want peace. I think at this stage if Kony was just in in for the money he would be a better candidate for "peace offerings". Usually some kind of private estate and money.

DeletedUser30834

There was indeed provocation. We all know that Iraq was only invaded because Saddam had links to Al-Qaeda, who had of course attacked the US on September 11th and Bush was still sore about that. So then the US made up all of the rubbish about WMD and Cruise Missiles to lure the rest of the world in to help them. Unfortunately, the UK believed them, which sucks balls.
Lol.. If you think the crap about WMDs was all made up, you are seriously brainwashed and probably shouldn't be commenting anywhere in public about it. The UNSCOM and UNMOVIC reports all talked about suspected weapons programs, inspections that appeared to be sanitized areas (too clean for what the stated uses were), duel purpose materials that was on the banned list that weren't cleared with the UN, and patterns of obstruction. Most of what Bush claimed about the WMDs came directly out of those reports and intelligence sharing from other countries. There was the fake document about the Yellowcake that convinced 2 other countries into believing it was true before they handed it to the US then. Now Bush took the information and put 2 and 2 together and came up with nothing, but you can't say he made it up. He was just completely wrong about what it meant.

Something interesting to note, 2 of the biggest opponents to invading Iraq, France and Russia, both said they thought Iraq either maintained fragments of their banned weapons programs or still possessed banned chemical and biological weapons but they also said it didn't require war with them because they could be contained sufficiently without invading Iraq. BTW, France was the government who finally passed the false information about the Yellowcake to a US counter terrorism task force in England working in conjunction with British agencies.

Saddam himself said he made it appear as if Iraq still had weapons on the banned list (WMDa) because he feared invasion from his neighboring countries. So lets not repeat a bunch of incorrect election time political banter who's biggest purpose in reality was to attempt to get Bush out of office.

Personally I support this Kony idea, I think its great to use social networks to get ideas out there and to make people realise what is happening in the world. Because as the video points out, money always influences what happens in the world. But it doesn't have to be like that. I don't want the US to be involved in Uganda. Because I hate the US government. They actually disgust me. And I would hate for Uganda to have to suffer at the hands of their own military, Kony and the US. But making people, like Joseph Kony infamous around the world is a good deed. And one that I will happily support.
lol.. what is the point of making him famous around the world if it isn't to get support to doing something? Do you think that if enough people call him "a bad person", he will stop what he does and apologize to everyone?

DeletedUser16008

Lol.. If you think the crap about WMDs was all made up, you are seriously brainwashed and probably shouldn't be commenting anywhere in public about it. The UNSCOM and UNMOVIC reports all talked about suspected weapons programs, inspections that appeared to be sanitized areas (too clean for what the stated uses were), duel purpose materials that was on the banned list that weren't cleared with the UN, and patterns of obstruction. Most of what Bush claimed about the WMDs came directly out of those reports and intelligence sharing from other countries. There was the fake document about the Yellowcake that convinced 2 other countries into believing it was true before they handed it to the US then. Now Bush took the information and put 2 and 2 together and came up with nothing, but you can't say he made it up. He was just completely wrong about what it meant.

Something interesting to note, 2 of the biggest opponents to invading Iraq, France and Russia, both said they thought Iraq either maintained fragments of their banned weapons programs or still possessed banned chemical and biological weapons but they also said it didn't require war with them because they could be contained sufficiently without invading Iraq. BTW, France was the government who finally passed the false information about the Yellowcake to a US counter terrorism task force in England working in conjunction with British agencies.

Saddam himself said he made it appear as if Iraq still had weapons on the banned list (WMDa) because he feared invasion from his neighboring countries. So lets not repeat a bunch of incorrect election time political banter who's biggest purpose in reality was to attempt to get Bush out of office.

lol.. what is the point of making him famous around the world if it isn't to get support to doing something? Do you think that if enough people call him "a bad person", he will stop what he does and apologize to everyone?

Who Kony ? beats me but have a look at this before you think its about making Kony famous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ6n8muJd7s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vuzTS-VIig Try to ignore the dork grunting in the background

I wondered about this last week Its a scam ... its about more than oil theres much more resource there than just oil.

Scam.

PS start a new thread about WMD if you like... that was a scam as well and a war crime, but i digress ;)