Is Richard Dawkins an Idiot?

DeletedUser31931

So the other week I heard someone (who shalt remain nameless as this is the interent but needless to say none of you would know him) say that (and I quote) "Richard Dawkins is a bit of an idiot." I believe that he is clever but he can lack in common sense and tact sometimes. *Note: I do not want people to use this as an excuse to bash Athiests or Christians or whatever, do it and I will report it.*

DeletedUser

"Idiot" has 2 common meanings.
The first is that someone is mentally re-tarded (hyphen needed to avoid editor intervention) or simple-minded. Clearly he does not fit this definition as he is undeniably an intelligent man.
The second is "foolish", as in "I was an idiot to cheat on my wife". I think to qualify for this you need to perform an action that is clearly not in your own best interest. As a successful academic, public speaker and author he doesn't appear to be an idiot in this sense either. I guess some might say he was an idiot because he behaved in a way that has caused many people to dislike him, and perhaps if one assassinated him it could be put down to "idiocy" on his part. But really that is quite subjective.
My own view is that he is no more an idiot in the second sense than practically anybody else.

DeletedUser

Right, the man is an accomplished and well-respected biologist with a firm grasp of physics. Calling him an idiot is, well, rather idiotic.

As pointed out by another person recently on the news, the present failure of the scientific community is at having sat on the sidelines whilst religious fundamentalists have gone to war against scientific discovery, invariably posing fallacious arguments (flawed logic) to argue their points to their "flock." Such is the example of creationism vs evolution, a totally fabricated conflict precisely because creationism is a belief on "who" made it all, while evolution is a scientific field of evidence-based study on "how" life changed over time. The intersections of such are virtually nil, thus little real conflict exists.

Dawkins is one of a handful of scientists, within the larger scientific community, that attempts to reverse the trend of ignorance propagated by extremist fundamentalist preachers. Of course he's going to get some flak, be labeled an idiot, by people who have been programmed to believe geological & archeological evidence is all wrong and dinosaurs walked the Earth with Man less than 6,000 years ago.

One argument posed is that he's an idiot for arguing with such people, but when you examine the harm that has been imposed over just the last 40 years because we "didn't" address such behaviors, it becomes rather obvious the scientific community should indeed be much more adamant in their efforts to fight back the lunacy of fundamentalist dogma. It has resulted in disruption of scientific advancement many times in the past, and is doing so again. It is discouraging children from obtaining educations in favor of memorizing a single book and is a primary factor in the catastrophic delay imposed on identifying, accepting, and acting to counteract the effects of Climate Change.

Dawkins an idiot? No.

Now, Bill Nye on the other hand, is foolish (still not an idiot). In a recent television interview, Bill Nye made the mistake of arguing belief of religion vs belief of evolution. In such an action, he fell hook, line, and sinker for the fundamentalist preachers' bait of contraposing religious belief to that of evolution acceptance. In this error, he gives the notion that evolution is belief-based and thus taints his own wells of argument. Evolution is both fact and theory (indeed, ever-modifying theories). There is no belief associated with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser31931

Right, the man is an accomplished and well-respected physicist. Calling him an idiot is, well, rather idiotic.

As pointed out by another person recently on the news, the present failure of the scientific community is at having sat on the sidelines whilst religious fundamentalists have gone to war against scientific discovery, invariably posing fallacious arguments (flawed logic) to argue their points to their "flock." Such is the example of creationism vs evolution, a totally fabricated conflict precisely because creationism is a belief on "who" made it all, while evolution is a scientific field of evidence-based study on "how" life changed over time. The intersections of such are virtually nil, thus little real conflict exists.

Dawkins is one of a handful of physicists, within the larger scientific community, that attempts to reverse the trend of ignorance propagated by extremist fundamentalist preachers. Of course he's going to get some flak, be labeled an idiot, by people who have been programmed to believe geological & archeological evidence is all wrong and dinosaurs walked the Earth with Man less than 6,000 years ago.

I Suppose in that sense it was a religious fanatic who said it and he does also tend to get his facts ever so slightly wrong to suit Christianity in a better light. I agree with what you say though and I have no shame in saying that I'm an Atheist.

DeletedUser

It is actually quite interesting to see people with a very basic grasp of math, the sciences, and their respective language argue against scientific evidence. Being ignorant is one thing, but demonstrating that ignorance is another. And when one encounters a person who is dogmatic in his/her grossly limited knowledge as being the sole comprehension by which the universe revolves, it's kinda hard to take them seriously when they call Dawkins an idiot, particularly when he has 40+ years of scientific research listed on his vitae'.

What a lot of people don't know is that Oxford University assigned him the role of being a science advocate. He speaks out not merely as a personal drive, but as a responsibilty imposed upon him by the British scientific community.

Considering all of this, it seems quite logical he would be the target of insults by religious airheads.

DeletedUser

Quite so HS. If you think Richard Dawkins is an idiot you are probably super-intelligent a la Einstein or ......... an idiot.;)

DeletedUser15057

581373_469311686423181_850488894_n.jpg
Richard Dawkins has begun to re-elevate Charles Darwin back in to the public forum again - from where even children can now once more begin to appreciate his science - that is no mean feat!!