Is it worth the cost to host the Olympic games?

DeletedUser17143

For this I have to say NO! This Olympic game is spoiling the obesity growth. The big M ( I hope you know what it is) is a main sponsor and fund raiser of the event. I am just afraid of the several fast food outlets throughout the stadium. When the spectatators have close to nothing to do, the first thing they will do is walking into the fast food restaurant, order a load of fries as they wait for the event to start. Moreover, more outlets are inside the stadium for competitor use. Hey come on guys, competitors are here to play sports, not chuck down those oily food. Sadly, the games would be games as it would not happen if it was not for McDonald. The fund raiser is definitely important.

The next thing I am concerned about is the Coca Cola company. Fizzy drinks may look and taste terrific but the chemical in it is pretty harmful, thus, we should not drink so much a day. Having a competitor popping by the outlet and ordering a cup of Cola to requench their thirty may not sound so convincing as you might already see the result of the competitor vomiting in the toilet after his or her 400m track race or high jump or whatever.

Well I heard they considered putting in gyms instead of fast food outlets and climbing walls instead of stairs, but it just didn't seem practical. I watch the Olympics because I want to see a man run the 100m in under 10 seconds, not because I want a reason to watch healthy people compete as I munch on some carrot sticks. If it wasn't for the revenue created by all these big bad corporations the Olympics would most definitely not be worth the cost. But it just so happens that they pay a lot of money to be sponsors of the Olympics, so much that it wouldn't be possible without them. The problem doesn't lie with the McDonalds and Coca Cola companies, it lies with the customer. They consciously choose to buy the food. No one holds a gun to their heads and makes them buy it. Sure they may advertise a lot and use product placement to sway the customer, but that is the same with everything. No one wil die from treating themselves to some fast food on a day out at the London Olympics. However if they choose to not exercise and to eat fatty foods then it is their own fault. I'm fed up of grown people complaining about all the fast food companies, if you don't like it then don't buy it. I personally hate McDonalds, so I deal with that problem by not eating in their outlets. I don't cry about it to anyone who will listen and blame them for the number of obese people in the world. The only people to blame for people being obese are the people who are obese. They just need to stop shifting the blame rather than going around acting likee the world owes them a favour. The world owes them nothing. It was here first. Some people just need to grow the hell up and stop acting like children. And as for the children who eat a lot of fast food, they should have better parents who promote a health diet and encourage them to be active rather than buying them Playstation's and Xbox's. Buy them a football instead and kick them out of the house for a few hours every day. As for Coca Cola in general, they aren't just one drink, they are a corporation. They also own Powerade, and I can guarantee you will see plenty of athletes drinking that around the stadium.

DeletedUser

No one holds a gun to their heads and makes them buy it.
Now you've got a point there.

Now let's get back to the power generator thingy...So if the floor is gonna be made of "whatever", I will have fun eating carrot sticks and watch the slip and :whistle:. I have London Olympic joke for you:
Hey, I bought two 100m tickets. You should've seen the size the came in!

Alright, I will see you there at the games!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser563

I like the Olympics. Is it worth the cost? The problem usually is with the sporting organization that is in control of the tournament. And lets pause a bit at the biggest sport mafia of all time Fifa. We are going back to the world cup south africa. Were was the games held . Mostly in South Africas big cities. All of them had huge stadiums to begin with. Good enough for Fifa. Nope. So your forced to build useless stadiums. And then they pocket anyway most of the earnings. Before cancelling good sporting events cancel these guys permanently. After all : How much did the first Olympics cost that Julius Ceasar hosted?

DeletedUser

Umm, Julius Ceaser didn't host the first Olympics and FIFA is a different topic altogether.

As to the Olympics, it's a business enterprise under the guise of being a diplomatic utility. Most such events are intended as a means for corporations to dip into the wealthy coffers of governments. Interestingly, that's exactly how corps profit from wars and conflicts.

DeletedUser563

Umm, Julius Ceaser didn't host the first Olympics and FIFA is a different topic altogether.

As to the Olympics, it's a business enterprise under the guise of being a diplomatic utility. Most such events are intended as a means for corporations to dip into the wealthy coffers of governments. Interestingly, that's exactly how corps profit from wars and conflicts.

Yes your right it was hannibal the leader of the huns.

DeletedUser

Yes your right it was hannibal the leader of the huns.

Are you trolling? Julius Caesar was Roman, the Olympics were Greek, and Hannibal was Carthaginian. Though the Olympics continued under Roman rule, they were started long before then, and I don't think a Roman leader ever hosted them.

DeletedUser

look, I'm gonna probably sum up the topic here, the Olympics on one hand, are a global event that supposedly brings the world together in sporting activites, on the other hand, it's a simple facade for monumental corporations to advertise their goods, in essence the olympics could be good, it's just that they've been mishandled and used as a giant billboard every step of the way.

DeletedUser21689

In my mother-in-laws town. The Olympic torch went through on a bus. Lol. Thats what she got for her 12 bil quid. I took my kids to see the Olympic flame because i believe its only fair to give them an open minded view of things and not the bitter and cynical view i have. The flame went out but it was alright because there was a .... mother flame. Lmao on the bus. There was also 30 policemen keeping an eye on it, with various brand new 4x4s and police bikes with helicopters overhead. I wonder how much that little lot cost our wonderful Olympic committee and therefor us.

Check out "joe the moth" on youtube. Thats me holding the camera phone. The Olympic flame came to my village after all.

DeletedUser

Olympic games:

1.We have decided that child tickets should be the same amount as adult tickets, this applies for babies.
What?! Are you crazy? A baby cannot even understand what is happening in the stadium.
1. We have changed the value of child tickets, but babies must be strapped to you.
Sigh.
2. In order not to spread diseases, athletes cannot shake hands. They must either bear hug or bow to each other.
Huh? Doesn't bear hugging prove more contact than shaking hands?!
3.To prevent terrorism, we have installed automatic guns on high rise buildings just in case. We also blow put any vehicle that looks suspious. We are not liable to the damage and you will be fined if you park illegally.
What? You are gonna blow up my car just because it looks suspious?!

DeletedUser

I'll try and stay neutral on this topic on one hand the Olympics exhibits your country's talents, a lot of hotel profits, tourism, lot of revenue but the downsides to hosting it is once the buildings are created and used they won't be touched again until the next Olympics and the overall cost may never be returned in the future.

DeletedUser21689

Ah that old chestnut. The hotels/b&bs. In London have priced themselves out of the market. Once i read your message i trawled through the beds for hire webs. It took me 3 mins to find any amount of beds for the first day of the Olympics. To be honest i would rather watch the Para Olympics than the usual Olympics. I've heard much more about them. What makes my eye twitch is the effort the athletes have made.
I myself have never made such a comitment in my life (other than the forces). Where used to having building left empty here. Check out the fiasco with the Millenium Dome. People sing songs there now.

DeletedUser5273

As a Vancouverite, I am completely for them. I wish we could have them every four years!