Is it worth the cost to host the Olympic games?

DeletedUser16008

The Olympic Games are an outdated concept, athletes meet routinely in international events and the concept of national competition is outdated. Before globalization, hosting Olympic Games was a good way of ensuring international caliber athletic competition across a wide range of sports. But today, international competitions occur routinely. The concept of national identity is less clear so that we have nations represented by teams whose members often have tenuous connection with that country.

The cost to hosting the Olympic games is not worth it to the home country, the long term disadvantages have been proven. A number of studies of previous Olympics host cities/countries shows that the cost of hosting the Olympic games isn't returned in the long run. So for a country to incur significant expenses to host such an event seem a waste of money. As television revenues decline with the collapse of broadcast advertising, the economic model behind Olympics will collapse even further.

DeletedUser

As much as it's worth it to finance any other kind of sports. It's worth it to a lot of people, and I see no problem with continuing as long as people enjoy it and are willing to pay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harsha..

globalization has indeed made international sporting meets common. But these meets are just common. For the general sporting fan like myself, they're just passing events, which serve to keep the athletes in shape for the big one, the Olympics.

For any country, getting an Olympic medal is a matter of national pride and achievement. Sports in India got a major boost, when we got our first gold medal last year. Look at China - they worked tirelessly through decades for the Olympic gold. As a result, sports - and discipline has grown a lot in that country. No event, but the Olympics can promote this kind of sporting spirit in the world

Most of the funds invested in the Olympics go into the general development of infrastructure and sports in the hosting country. I've heard how UK has cleared out London's slums and further developed its subways in preparation for the event. The existing sports facilties will be used by the citizens for the years to come.

Every once in a while, the world needs a grand event to bring the people together

DeletedUser

oh come on! are you seriously saying that the Olympics is a good thing? it's costing the UK over 12 billion,and counting! the amount of 'money the games are bringing in' is far smaller than the cost! the UK simply cannot afford! it's just more money going out of the UK, and therefore weakening the ecomony! and don't quote that rubbish the governmetn is spewing out about 'all the contracts are going to UK firms' because yes, the contracts are gonig to firms based int he UK, but those firms are manufacturing the products overseas!
the Olympics are a needless, pointless event that should never have happened.
I'll give you an example of how competent the Olympic workers are; last week the guys in charge of the Olympics asked if Keith Moon could play at one of the Olympic ceremonies. Keith Moon's dead!
and yet you still nievely assume that such an obviously incompetent team can deliver such a large event effectively? don't get me into a full argument, because the weight of material against the Olympics is neverending.

Harsha..

I don't know about the contracts stuff, or any finer economic detail. But, when my country had problems hosting the CWG, the media showed how well-planned the London Games were, with most of the works going on schedule. Any mega event will have problems, which overshadow the real achievements

But, that isn't the point - look at our world, there are wars raging everywhere along with corruption scandals. So, when the news of the Olympics fills the world's newspapers, it will bring a refreshing change and even non-sporting fans will be excited about it. Certainly, there are other sports like cricket and football world cups, but only a fixed number of fans are interested in them. The Olympics brings together the whole world with its wide array of sports and high level of competition. The Olympics also gives the host country to fully showcase its culture to the world. That's one of the few things of real value money can buy.

If you still aren't convinced, then i cannot say anything else. But, i will keep on enjoying the games when they happen. Countries will keep on rushing to bid for the games, despite the cost. That's because the spirt of Olympics far outweighs any monetary loss. If this was otherwise, the concept would have died out long ago

DeletedUser

I'll give you an example of how competent the Olympic workers are; last week the guys in charge of the Olympics asked if Keith Moon could play at one of the Olympic ceremonies. Keith Moon's dead!
But you have to admit that they aim high, and if they succeeded it would be the most amazing, talked-about concert EVER!;)

DeletedUser

I don't know about the contracts stuff, or any finer economic detail. But, when my country had problems hosting the CWG, the media showed how well-planned the London Games were, with most of the works going on schedule. Any mega event will have problems, which overshadow the real achievements

well-planned? you must be joking! as for 'real achievements', if you can see some, then feel free to say! because I can't see any!

when the news of the Olympics fills the world's newspapers, it will bring a refreshing change and even non-sporting fans will be excited about it.

Speak for yourself! I have yet to meet a single person who is actually excited about the Olympics!

Countries will keep on rushing to bid for the games, despite the cost. That's because the spirt of Olympics far outweighs any monetary loss. If this was otherwise, the concept would have died out long ago

read the title of the thread, give me one reason why it is worth the cost, your argument is about the 'spirit of the Olympics' and other assorted rubbish, face it mate, you ain't the one paying for it. I wonder that if you were a British taxpayer, would you see it differently?

But you have to admit that they aim high, and if they succeeded it would be the most amazing, talked-about concert EVER!;)

It would be, if the Olympic committee masters the art of necromancy, then I would eat my words and say that the Olympics are worth the cost! :laugh:

DeletedUser

I like the Olympics. In fact, if someone gave me $5, I would spend it on the Olympics.

DeletedUser17143

I'm with Hellstromm on this one. The Olympics are class and I'm well excited for them.

DeletedUser

HS was being sarcastic, yidboi. He's still not paying for the Olympics anyways. :p

DeletedUser

I think the reason countries host them is for clout in the international community. Worth it, maybe for developing countries, but places like the UK already have plenty of clout already to make it worth it. Also it serves political purposes, which are not really there to benefit the general public. So I guess the question should be who is it worth it to...

DeletedUser16008

So I guess the question should be who is it worth it to...

Apart from the athletes that get to pit themselves against those they meet at lots of other less high profile games all the time ? mainly Sponsors .

Deleted User - 1278415

I heard TuPacs Hologram put his music back on the charts, guess they are doing the same with Keith Moon?

DeletedUser

Attach generators/ropes/pulleys to all the athletes and equipment for every game. Connect the equipment to generators to convert the athlete power into electricity.

Gold medal to the athlete that generates the most electricity.

Any event that can't be self-sustaining (not counting the food-related total energy required by the athletes) should be removed from the games.

Use the electricity to power the public transport required to get spectators to the games, and to power the tv cameras used to broadcast the games. Finally, make sure all the seats and spectators are fitted with the same devices as the athletes so they too generate electricity (when they sit down, when they clap, etc...).

Now THAT would be worth watching. Like Hellstromm I'd give up my free fiver to that event!

DeletedUser

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to supraxus again.
I nominate supraxus to be on the planning committee for Olympics 2016!

DeletedUser15057

And that electricity generated could be used to power the ground to air missile pads that are to be installed on the nearby high rise buildings, thereby saving the residents a costly power bill!! WOW talking about a carbon neutral games.

DeletedUser

I really don't get it...why put Surface To Air Missiles on top of a block of flats with a thin guard, thereby making the flats a terrorist target, and providing that the terrorists overpower the guards, they'll have a weapon that they wouldn't get hold of otherwise! I'm sorry, but what kind of paranoid insane moron thought up that plan???????

DeletedUser

For this I have to say NO! This Olympic game is spoiling the obesity growth. The big M ( I hope you know what it is) is a main sponsor and fund raiser of the event. I am just afraid of the several fast food outlets throughout the stadium. When the spectatators have close to nothing to do, the first thing they will do is walking into the fast food restaurant, order a load of fries as they wait for the event to start. Moreover, more outlets are inside the stadium for competitor use. Hey come on guys, competitors are here to play sports, not chuck down those oily food. Sadly, the games would be games as it would not happen if it was not for McDonald. The fund raiser is definitely important.

The next thing I am concerned about is the Coca Cola company. Fizzy drinks may look and taste terrific but the chemical in it is pretty harmful, thus, we should not drink so much a day. Having a competitor popping by the outlet and ordering a cup of Cola to requench their thirty may not sound so convincing as you might already see the result of the competitor vomiting in the toilet after his or her 400m track race or high jump or whatever.

And let's come back to supraxus post. Thats a terrific idea, changing kinetic energy to electrical energy, your they best genius! Now one question, how is the athlete suppose to run or jump with a 47 ton of generator equipped with him?!

DeletedUser

The running surface will be made from piezoelectric materials, duh. Who straps a huge generator on themselves? :p