Inventory Limit

Is the proposal below a fair and acceptable solution?

• No, I will never support an inventory limit.

Votes: 64 47.1%
  • Not quite, further compromise measures are necessary.

Votes: 33 24.3%
  • Yes, I appreciate the need for this change - do what you must.

Votes: 39 28.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeletedUser22685

Players enjoy collecting and I doubt they will be any happier if their items are removed from the game completely than they would be if they had to sell them due to a limit. Besides, that solution wouldn't help much. 150,000 items take away 50 isn't that much of a relief for the database.

DeletedUser

I wasn't suggesting that was a magic cure however if they have to make changes, why not start with items no one uses.

DeletedUser

Besides, that solution wouldn't help much. 150,000 items take away 50 isn't that much of a relief for the database.

There are 150k items in the game? Or players have 150k items per person? Seems rather high...

DeletedUser22685

There are 150k items in the game? Or players have 150k items per person? Seems rather high...
Neither at the moment. That's derived from the examples given by Diggo and I previously in this thread regarding randomised items.

Lanky Nibs

I haven't seen any other browser RPG that doesn't have an inventory limit. Even singleplayer RPGs tend to have an inventory limit, those that don't have it are pretty rare or don't contain many different items.

I beg to differ. I play several other MMORPG games with unlimited inventory capabilities. I have 25 million items in one game inventory alone. The game has several hundred different items in play just like here. It can be done without wasting server space or making long load times. I too, do not want to lose my collection I have worked so hard to get.

There's my 2 cents...

DeletedUser

I don't understand the purpose of this poll. If I've learned anything over the time I've spent here is that the outcome of polls like these matter little or nothing to the devs. They're just going to do what they want anyway, and we, as always, that voice against such changes, no matter how numbered we are, will just have to, yet again, adapt to the changes they enforce "due to popular demand", or "for the greater good", or which ever slogan this case will carry.
This is an unpopular change to be sure, but we'd better brace for it, coz it will be implemented, it's just a question of time. Mostly because, from what I understand, the driving force behind the decision is a technical matter, not financial nor ethical.

DeletedUser

My opinion is that the easiest way around it is to scrap the idea of randomised items.
Or make items with a stats range, like a cap with +1 to +4 app. The stats don't have to change everytime you use it, only once a day or something....idk :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Or make items with a stats range, like a cap with +1 to +4 app. The stats don't have to change everytime you use it, only once a day or something....idk :)

That's what randomized items are about. No one ever said they changed every time, that would be silly. The point is that instead of 500 items in the db with fixed bonuses, you have a huge number of items with random stats.

1 cap = 1 item. 1 cap with +1 to +4 appearance = 4 items. 1 cap with +1 to +4 appearance and +1 to 4 of 2 other skills = 4³ = 64 items. Add more skills, plus attributes, and a higher range of bonuses, and the the number of items gets huge.

DeletedUser9470

i think the idea of deleting a load of useless items no one uses is a good idea.
for a start, all the rusty and normal weapons.
all Shinys higher than level 70
all rusty and normal fort guns.

basically, all of the "poor mans" kit. clothing, horses...
no one uses it

then make a place to store everyones invent in towns so you can only open it when you are in town. the backpack can then only contain a certain number of items thus getting rid of any abuse.

DeletedUser

i meant it more as how weapons have a range of damage, so we could have items with a range of stats. shouldn't int x=0; be the same as int x=Random.randomInt(10)+1;?
(yay for java^^)

DeletedUser22685

i think the idea of deleting a load of useless items no one uses is a good idea.
for a start, all the rusty and normal weapons.
all Shinys higher than level 70
all rusty and normal fort guns.

basically, all of the "poor mans" kit. clothing, horses...
no one uses it

then make a place to store everyones invent in towns so you can only open it when you are in town. the backpack can then only contain a certain number of items thus getting rid of any abuse.
Removing a couple of hundred items is hardly going to relieve any strain from a server under pressure from 150 000 items, as I said earlier in this thread somewhere.

DeletedUser

1 cap = 1 item. 1 cap with +1 to +4 appearance = 4 items. 1 cap with +1 to +4 appearance and +1 to 4 of 2 other skills = 4³ = 64 items. Add more skills, plus attributes, and a higher range of bonuses, and the the number of items gets huge.

If this is the way they are planning to do it, then that's just bad database design. I work every day on a database that runs millions of transactions each day. And it's poorly optimized. Yet it still runs quickly and well (although it could run better). Our two primary tables have over 10 million and 40 million rows respectively. And those two tables cascade through at least a dozen other tables to make up one overall record. It sounds like they need to bring in someone who can help them with their layout and optimization. Someone who can help them set up good indexes. Unless they're running up against a hardware limitation or they aren't using an enterprise-level database to run this thing. Then there's not much you can do without changes to the infrastructure.

DeletedUser

in this day and age of technology, I don't see how computer slowness is even an issue anymore, except a monetary one. And some insane dude says he spent $1000 on some game in a couple years, i bet they have the dough to buy new infrastructure.
That said, I am happy about the constant updating and development which i understand also comes from that budget.

also what is the correlation between the backpack limit and the 150,000 "potential" items? Is it being assumed some collectors would want to make and collect 150,000 different items? if you are doing the randomized items and storing them somewhere, that has its own issue outside backpack limit, doesn't it?

DeletedUser

also what is the correlation between the backpack limit and the 150,000 "potential" items? Is it being assumed some collectors would want to make and collect 150,000 different items? if you are doing the randomized items and storing them somewhere, that has its own issue outside backpack limit, doesn't it?

A 0 doesn't take any less space than a 1.