How to stop excessive farming

DeletedUser

I suggest that dueling skills are affected by dueling motivation.

So if your motivation is at 50%, you skills count as 50% of the actual skills.

Now if this is too much, maybe the scale can be adjusted. Maybe if 1% = 1% penalty is too much then do 2% motivation = 1% penalty.

This will reduce the excessive attacks on weak opponents. It'll also let people retaliate against stronger opponents. If for example I which is a resistance build keep attacking Bulleye in W6 and their stronger guys are on "vacation" or retire from dueling, their weaker members can retaliate against me because now my "invicible" resistance is down to 50% and now a 100 vigor/shooting can shoot holes through my body.

DeletedUser

I like the idea, but I think there are already enough mad duelers because of the whole 50% resistance thing...

DeletedUser

Who would even bother dueling with your set-up?

The idea is to limit dueling so that people don't do it too much for no gain. People will less likely to farm low experience opponent.

Also the idea is for the developer to test and adjust. The penalty doesn't have to be very high. Just enough to discourage repeated farming of weak opponents. So if 1% to 1% is too high, try 2 to 1. If that is still too high 3 to 1 or even 5 to 1.

DeletedUser

In addition to that, maybe increase faster motivation bonus of dueler. Now with the penalty and the higher bonus, the dueler class will be more balanced against soldier class.

Soldier class still get better dueling related bonus, but dueler can duel more often.

DeletedUser14189

I suggest that dueling skills are affected by dueling motivation.

So if your motivation is at 50%, you skills count as 50% of the actual skills.

Now if this is too much, maybe the scale can be adjusted. Maybe if 1% = 1% penalty is too much then do 2% motivation = 1% penalty.

This will reduce the excessive attacks on weak opponents. It'll also let people retaliate against stronger opponents. If for example I which is a resistance build keep attacking Bulleye in W6 and their stronger guys are on "vacation" or retire from dueling, their weaker members can retaliate against me because now my "invicible" resistance is down to 50% and now a 100 vigor/shooting can shoot holes through my body.

HAH thank you for this great opportunity to introduce you to my friend here...

cry.jpg

DeletedUser

You should post that pic in the funny pictures thread. :D

on topic: I think this will disbalance the basics of the game. It would mean the more you duel, the weaker you become. After a war, I know the enemy dueller has hit a lot of people and is low on motivation. I was sleeping and was safe. I gear up, get up and hit him when he's low on motivation and I win even if I'm a pure builder. -- Not nice.

You can have something like the bigger the difference between the duelling levels of the players, the more disadvantageous to the dueller so that we get motivated to pick people of our own size, but not the motivation thingy IMHO.

DeletedUser

The idea is ridiculous. If you are a fighter then your job is to fight. You don't lose labor points from doing a job too often so dueling skills shouldn't decrease the more you fight.

Truly worst idea I've ever seen on the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

not only is this a bad idea from the start. but i just want to point out that this would effectively hamper the fun of the game for about 60%* of the people that play it.

*not an actual stat. 60% is my guess of the percentage of people that enjoy dueling.

DeletedUser

The idea is ridiculous. If you are a fighter then your job is to fight. You don't lose labor points from doing a job too often so dueling skills shouldn't decrease the more you fight.

Truly worst idea I've ever seen on the forum.

Enjoy farming people now? :)

The idea is to reduce excess farming. You can still duel but you need to choose a good and profitable target instead of those that give you 4 exp and 5 dollar.

Also the idea is for the developer to adjust the penalty. It doesn't have to be 50% motivation = 50% skills. It can be 50% motivation = 75% skill etc. Adjust it until there is a balance where people still can reasonably duel but still discourage excessive farming.

BTW, how what do you suggest we do to stop people from farming people nonstop (zero motivation duelers) everyday. You don't think that need to stop at all? How many players have quit over being excessively farmed, maybe the admin can check old logs and compile a statistic to see how many of those who stopped playing were excessively attacked.

DeletedUser

I'm not here to tell anyone how to play the game. 0 motivation duelers are not against the rules. Farming isn't against the rules. If someone plays a game called The West and expects not to be dueled then they obviously are playing the wrong game.

Your idea sucks. Pure and simple sucks.

DeletedUser

VRaverna, this idea imposes a penalty on people who duel, effectively discouraging people from dueling, which is contra to the game. Also, it completely ignores the fact that those who spec to duel can't do much of anything else. This game is about the west and two of the four classes, half the classes, are all about dueling. So, you talk about people who allegedly quit the game because they get farmed, and yet I honestly have not seen that, it's a ghost story. What I've seen, instead, is people creating other character classes in other worlds. What I've seen is people quitting their wimpy towns and joining a town that will protect them. What I've seen is people moving their entire town altogether, to some place where they won't be farmed.

Those who quit the game because they're being farmed really haven't cared to bother noticing there are 9 other worlds to choose from, haven't bothered to think through their predicament. Either that, or they're using it as an excuse to leave the game before they become, or because they already became, addicted.

There seems to be a habit of people trying to think of ways to "stop" people from dueling, not bothering to realize that dueling is a facet of the game the majority of people like to play, the majority reason why people pay to play. If you put penalties for duelers that duel often, you will cut down on how often they play, which in turn means less people paying to play.

Besides of which, there's already something in the game that penalizes dueling, and that's the horrible dueling level feature of this game. Instead of trying to add another feature to penalize dueler-types, try to think of a better approach to this whole dueling level. The existing dueling level system limits a dueler's lifespan in this game. If he doesn't carefully monitor how much dueling xp he collects, he'll end up forced to retire from dueling (and thus retire the character) after only 300 or so duels. Why? Because his dueling level will reach a point that he won't be able to duel anyone anymore.

It's a design flaw, put into effect likely because people whined about being dueled. And now you want to add another design flaw into the game, rather than fix the last design flaw?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Besides of which, there's already something in the game that penalizes dueling, and that's the horrible dueling level feature of this game. Instead of trying to add another feature to penalize dueler-types, try to think of a better approach to this whole dueling level. The existing dueling level system limits a dueler's lifespan in this game. If he doesn't carefully monitor how much dueling xp he collects, he'll end up forced to retire from dueling (and thus retire the character) after only 300 or so duels. Why? Because his dueling level will reach a point that he won't be able to duel anyone anymore.

It's a design flaw, put into effect likely because people whined about being dueled. And now you want to add another design flaw into the game, rather than fix the last design flaw?

Actually, as penalties go, I think I'd rather have the one VRaverna suggests than the dueling level one...

But, I have to agree with others that adding another penalty isn't the way to go.

DeletedUser

I'm not going to say it's a horrible idea, because it actually is realistic, for all jobs for that matter, but it's too much, even if you do scale the penalties down a bit.