Resolved Higher dueling levels vs. lower dueling levels?

DeletedUser

Hi,

I'm still kinda new to this game, and there is one thing I don't get:

I have a dueler level 36/dueling level 56. This means that I usually have a limited choice on opponents my own character level (and thus with the sort of lame weapons my character level allows)... Fair enough... (Or is it?)

What I don't understand is how the heck can a level 76 be allowed to attack ME (and knock me unconscious on the first shot because of his hand cannon!) when I'm usually only allowed to attack guys higher level than myself (because of my dueling level)? It seems to me that I'm not allowed to attack guys level 28-30, but guys level 75+ are allowed to attack me?...

Why not just look at character level, period? Everyone have the same att.points to distribute and same access to same weapons. That difference between character level and dueling level doesn't really seem to work as I see it.

I don't really see the system on what levels can attack which levels here?...

Anyone can show me the logic in this?
Thanks.

- M.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser13636

lol... Welcome to The West! This is a great argument for sure my friend and you are sure to find other threads that cover this topic I bet. There is nothing fair about it, your skill and your dueling at or near full motivation has allowed you to join the rank and file of others who may offer you a bit more of a challenge. It is all determined by your dueling level which is in turn determined by the amount of dueling experience you earn, so basically you have earned the right to duel those who have you out-skilled most likely. There is a good chance that the level 76 may not be so great at dueling though so go ahead and take your shot at him or her.

DeletedUser

The more you duel, the bigger your dueling level is. The experience you get in duels is calculated according to your dueling level, not your character level and is only fair to be this way or people will just bash workers and non dueling adventurers for cash.
Here is how it works: you get experience from that duel, you can duel. You don't get? Then you can't duel. The same applies to those bigger than you: if they can get exp from you, then they can duel you. Is not a level thing.
Here's the formula: (7*loser's dueling level) - (5*winners dueling level) + 5

DeletedUser22685

Level 76s that are actually specced for/are good at dueling will have a higher dueling level as well, so the only high levels that can duel you are the ones that aren't duelers (and therefore have a dueling level low enough to still be able to hit you) or the zero motivation ones - in which case you will find out the hard way ;)

DeletedUser16628

Zero motivation has it's perks,I'm a fan of it to a point then it does not matter but avoiding the big guns for a while is a art here in the west and with the new update it's even tougher to zero motivation duel.Welcome to the west:)

DeletedUser

Yes, this is a lesson in the school of hard knocks.
When I started 'The West' I saw my duelling level rise and thought I was getting to be a better dueller!
What I didn't realise then is that the duelling level is a handicap and that each duelling level rise meant that effectively all my targets became worth 7 points less in a duel and that as a target I became worth 7 points more. Zero motivation duellers worked this out a long time ago, but I had to learn the hard way.
And no, it's neither obvious nor realistic, but it's the way the game works so fairness doesn't come into it - you may as well say it's not fair that the goalie is allowed to handle the ball.

DeletedUser

Thanks for all the answers... And I apologize for the (hidden) profanities in my OP. ;)

I understand your points about fairness, attacking workers and so on... But I can't really see the logic in the system anyway.

I have reached a dueling level of 56 by winning duels fair and square on equal character level (or higher!) characters: Duelers, soldiers and adventurers... No workers.

And just because of that, suddenly I am a valid target to characters with weapons that even without proper skill can knock me unconscious? I can still be the better dueler and hit them every time, but because of their weapons they hit me twice and I'm out...

That is NOT about a goalie being allowed to handle the ball! That is about a lightweight boxer winning all his fights on knockout and therefore is moved to the heavyweight classes!... To be challenged more?? That makes no sense.

- "Hey, guys. This skinny dude is winning all his fights... Why don't we move him up to the REAL pumped up heavyweighters, so they can knock down his ego a bit... We don't want him to think he's the best in his own leagues, do we?"

- "Great idea... Hey. My cousin has a couple of vicious doberman hounds... Let's throw them into the ring as well... We'll see if he can knock THOSE babies out!"

Strange that the game developers (after creating such a great game) hasn't corrected this brainfart yet.

Thanks again for the responses.
- M.

DeletedUser

I explained how it works. You understand the fairness, but don't like what is doing to you. It was not meant to throw you in the arms of tough duelers, but to prevent workers/advent being bashed by you.
Now what you can do is duel NPC's, lower your motivation and get less exp from duels, or duel less, so your dueling level won't grow as much anymore.
You are close to level 40. If you want a good gun, then go look for belle star in the Quest discussions subforum. :)

DeletedUser

You understand the fairness, but don't like what is doing to you. It was not meant to throw you in the arms of tough duelers, but to prevent workers/advent being bashed by you.

Exactly. I understand the fairness for workers :) But don't think the solution is fair to duelers, and that's why I'm saying that the solution still has 'victims'.

Now what you can do is duel NPC's, lower your motivation and get less exp from duels, or duel less, so your dueling level won't grow as much anymore.
Sure. It's just too bad if people make a dueler because they like the pvp part and the challenge in trying to make the best dueler within their own class/league/character level. I mean the worker part of the game doesn't have a 'build less if you get too good at building'-bug :)

Don't get me wrong. It's a great game, but 'The West' is a lot about dueling, and I think it's just not optimal that if you become too good a dueler you are impeded in further developement of character in order to protect worker-players (unless you are willing to take a beating by people with access to laser guns!) ;)

Why not just make some sort of game restriction that keeps duel-classes from attacking worker-classes since it is an unwritten rule of the game anyway? (Everybody seems to agree in their town rules that only wusses attack workers)...

After that, dump dueling levels and let duelers fight each other according to character levels in stead. Then workers can have fun in the game without dueling anybody else but other workers, since they prefer playing the game without being dueled?
Or make some programmed protection of workers making them protected against dueler-attacks until they attack a dueler? (THEN the gloves are off!)

I just think there are a lot of options that doesn't need to ruin the dueler-experience of the game :) Or am I just way out?

You are close to level 40. If you want a good gun, then go look for belle star in the Quest discussions subforum. :)
All right. I will. Thanks.

- M.

DeletedUser

I think you are a bit exaggerating. The level 75+that attacked you is either a 0% motivation dueler who would duel anybody anywhere no matter what, or a non-dueler (thus not a big difference between character level and dueling level) who was asked by a lower level to pay you back.
Usually, level 75+ duelers, have their dueling level high enough not to be able to touch you. So the game is pretty much balanced. How many times did it happen to you? How many different high level players hit you with laser guns?
The cases are isolated and once you grow more, your dueling level will start to grow a lot slower. The few levels at start it goes up quick. The bigger it is, the more experience gained from duels is needed to raise another duel level (just like more and more exp is needed to level up). So it reaches a balance soon enough.