Harvard Professor Claims Racism Over Arrest

DeletedUser

http://www.examiner.com/x-2913-Boston-Republican-Examiner~y2009m7d24-Cambridge-Police-poised-to-release-911-tape-recordings-in-connection-with-Gates-case

Also most all networks have covered it-in case someone has a right or left wing conspiracy theory about the Examiner.

Cambridge Police poised to release 911 tape recordings in connection with Gates case

July 24, 11:25 AM

The Boston Herald is reporting that the Cambridge Police are poised to release tape recordings made in connection with the controversial Gates case:
Mounting pressure to get to the bottom of the controversial arrest of black scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. is centering on recorded police tapes that may offer a dose of reality amid all the media and political noise.

Cambridge police brass and lawyers are weighing making the tapes public, which could include the 911 call reporting a break-in at Gates’ home and radio transmissions by the cop who busted him July 16 for disorderly conduct.

“It’s powerful evidence because the (people involved) have not had a chance to reflect and you are getting their state of mind captured on tape,” said former prosecutor and New York City police officer Eugene O’Donnell, who is now a lecturer at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in Manhattan.
Though the tapes have not yet been released, I think it is safe to surmise, that once the contents are disclosed, it will go a long way towards exonerating either one of the two parties.

The manner in which the media has been reporting this event, to date, has been appalling. Would it be asking too much from pundits and reporters to look at the police record and/or facts that are not in dispute before opining on the matter? Even though he should know better after his initial premature rush to judgment at his press conference, remarkably, the President of the United States, as well as many Cable TV pundits, continue to make the erroneous assertion that Gates was arrested in his home, when in fact he was arrested outside his residence for disorderly conduct.

In many ways, the rush to judgment by defenders of Harvard Professor Henry Louis Gates is starting to resemble the odious Duke Lacrosse team rape case. What is similar, is that far too many in the media eagerly buy into the narrative that America still remains an irredeemably racist country where "racial profiling" is the norm.

We all eagerly await release of the police tapes…

DeletedUser

Yeah, those last two paragraphs clearly indicate this article is written as an op-ed. Also, the comment about "in his home" as opposed to "outside his residence" is intentionally misleading. So, in short, this person is a hypocrite to claim it is appalling the actions of other media outlets, when this person does the same thing.

On another thought, common sense would demonstrate that a 911 call is not likely to determine anything in this situation. Video would provide far more data.

DeletedUser

911 Call would just indicate the Police Officers frame of mind when arriving on the scene. The police radio recording is what will reveal a lot-as it is what they are claiming you can hear Gates yelling expletives at the officer, which no matter what race you are-will get you arrested for disorderly conduct if its during an investigation.

DeletedUser

You gotta wonder how the neighbor feels right about now. Here he was just trying to help out his neighbor and now the whole nation is in an uproar over two people over reacting. Professor over reacted and the officer over reacted to his over reaction. Charges were dropped, should be end of story.

DeletedUser

Ever heard of potential "motive, bias?"

If you are an attorney, and your opponent introduced a witness, friend of the plaintiff, who said all kinds of good things about the plaintiff. Let's forget the obvious problem of "character, reputation, bolstering" problems, what would you do as an attorney? What does your common sense tell you?

Don't friends have motive to say good things about each other?
Don't friends often have biased opinion, usually good about the other?

There is a lot of he said, I said in this incident. If it's hearsay (a statement uttered outside of the court by the declarant to prove the truth of matter asserted), I can see some exceptions to some of Gates statement that can be admitted such as excited utterance, effect of listener, present sense impression, etc.

Still, we don't know the exact truth right now, it's just assertion by each party. It's best if we can hear from the driver (who drove professor Gates back home), who is probably more impartial than either Gates or the officers.

If there were other witnesses who witnessed the whole thing, that's even better.

It's just speculation on my part but based on some of the information I gleamed from the news sources, here is what's not disputed

1. Professor spent quite a long time in China, doing some documentary, he was shooting at Yoyo Ma's ancestor's place at one point.

2. Professor Gates hired a driver and drove him home.

3. When arriving home, Gates could not open the door, it was jammed, then Gates and the driver tried to "break in" to Gates house

4. Someone saw the incident and reported to police

5. Police arrived, Sgt. Crowley entered Prof. Gates home.

After that, there are conflicting information. One thing bothers me is some of those statements by both Gates & officer seem to have been coached and changed. I believe both sides have been coached by some lawyer(s) on what to say, which is annoying.

I speculate Gates most likely said some unkind words. Here is my reasoning. Gates has been traveling for a long time. I've done my share of international travel, it can be tiring. When I am tired, I can be more grumpy, more irritable. When the police arrived, Gates was probably not in a good mood.

Could Prof. Gates be more calmer and cooperative? Certainly. Could officer Crowley be calmer and less confrontational? Absolutely. However, based on statements from both sides, neither side is a saint at this point (taken at face value of both parties).

I don't know the circumstances surrounding Sgt. Crowley and his partner, how long they have been in their shift, how was the stress level. Police officer can work long hours and it can be stressful. Although I don't think Cambridge is a very dangerous place but it will not surprise me if Sgt. Crowley has a very low tolerance for non-compliance and probably a bit "rough" in his handling of professor Gates.

I guess we will see if this ever goes to trial, what exactly happened on that day.

if that were the case then what Obama has said in the case should not be used in any way because were they not friends.

DeletedUser

You gotta wonder how the neighbor feels right about now. Here he was just trying to help out his neighbor and now the whole nation is in an uproar over two people over reacting. Professor over reacted and the officer over reacted to his over reaction. Charges were dropped, should be end of story.

Yeah, I also wonder how the neighbor feels. We have neighborhood watch in our neighborhood for us to keep an eye on each other's home.

if that were the case then what Obama has said in the case should not be used in any way because were they not friends.

Yes, that's correct, if Obama is professor Gates friend, his testimony will be subject to the same problem as any friends, family, business partner or anyone else associated with the 2 officers that may have a motive to give biased testimony.

I don't think I've ever said president Obama's word is better than the others in this thread, have I? I was trying to stick to fact & rule of law discussion whenever possible and wrote on that specifically.

DeletedUser

Professor over reacted and the officer over reacted to his over reaction. Charges were dropped, should be end of story.
I suppose you've never been arrested aye?
Let's see, they put you in the back seat of a car, usually leaving you there with the handcuffs digging into your lower back, with all the windows closed for 20 to 40 minutes as they sit outside and work out additional details to cover their ass. Fancy that, the car's air conditioner is off. Then, after well and drippy from perspiration, they take you downtown, put you in a crap-smelly holding cell, where the only toilet paper is floating in a nice brown puddle in a metal toilet, which has itself been decorated with the previous disgruntled inmate. You have a phone there, but it requires that you pay for it, which of course since they took your wallet, you have to ask permission to use the phone. Good luck getting their attention.

Then they take you in with a bunch of mother rapers, father rapers, and sex addicts, and you all strip down together, are directed to put on the clothing in a bag to your feet (that won't fit right). You end up putting all your belongings in the same bag (bag it, tag it), and they have you sit in yet another room. Then another, and yet another. Always different inmates, each of them looking at you wondering if you're the one who mugged their granny last Christmas. Each carefully gauging their neighbor, trying to figure out who they may have to gut later, in order to survive should things get heated.

Finally lunch comes by in the form of a paperbag. Lucky to find everything not already mushed up by one of the servers (a local joke to the new inmates), and you proceed to eat while sitting in a smelly room, surrounded by smelly guys, eating the luxury of peanut butter & salami sandwich with stale milk. If you're really in everyone's graces, you get to sit on the nice cold metal toilet seat while munching on your sandwich.

Time for a nap, this crowded room doesn't recognize that luxury so you grab a few napkins, maybe your shirt, and make yourself a pillow so you can sleep on the metal stool or the filthy floor. The air vent blows right on you, so you grab some toilet paper, wet it, and toss it up to the vent until yo ueventually block most of the breeze. You then close your eyes.

Someone kicks you because you snored too loud. You close one eye. Your hips hurt, your wrists hurt, your legs hurt, but your pride stopped hurting four hours ago.

Much later, if not days, you'll be released, exhausted, with some of your belongings intact, others wet, moldy, or missing.

So... do you really think the professor feels like the story ended?

DeletedUser

Give me a freaking break. As was stated by countless of people in this case, if this had been Joe Shmo whatever instead of a harvard professor who is influentially connected to the Mayor of their town, and also the president, the charges would not be dropped.

Policemen are out there to perform a civic duty, they don't have the luxury to give the benefit of the doubt, and when they arrive on scene they have to investigate to be absolutely certain of what took place.

If anyone here on this forum chose to accost a police officer in the midst of an investigation-be it your house or not-you will be arrested and face charges of Disorderly Conduct.

The only obscenity and overreaction from this case was the Harvard Professor. The police officer was going by the book, and if it weren't for connections of his-no one would be apologizing to a self-victimized low class professor who simply needed to clarify the misunderstanding and go about his business.

Sorry-but someone would call the police on me in my neighborhood if they saw an individual forcing my door open that they did not know was me.

If that happened, and an officer showed up-why the hell would I have any problem cooperating with the officer and clarifying the situation without verbally assaulting him.

The police officer was by the book, and only if you subscribe to political back patting should it be seen otherwise.

DeletedUser

the professor was already in the house when the police arrived, both the police officers and the professor indicated that ID was obtained and the police were leaving, case closed. From inside the house the professor continued to be belligerent, the police called him out of his house and arrested him on the porch. They were not concerned for his safety, because the picture clearly shows the police officers with his back to the inside of the house. He was arresting the professor because he didn't like what the professor said, after they were already leaving. That is unprofessional.

So, no... no break for your wild unsubstantiated claims.

DeletedUser

do u know for a fact that the police called him out of his house or that he followed them out onto his " patio " and continued to be belligerent, if he was being belligerent would he listen to them and leave his house??????

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Here's how the professor should have solved it, if he's so damned smart...

*Po-Po walks up*

Sir, you were reported for kicking down this door, let me see some id. (or whatever he said)

Professor: Yes sir.
*hands over id.*
I am the owner of this house, the door was locked and I didn't have my key so I had to take the door down to get back in. If there is a problem then feel free to speak to my Attorney. I have done nothing wrong, I was on my own property and I have legal rights to do what is necissary to live on my property.

*Cop*
Ok, let me run this through the Scanner and I'll be right back

*Professor*
Alright officer.

(However many minutes later)
*Cop*
Alright, the ID checks out, you'r free to go. *Hands back ID*

*Professor*
Thank you officer. Have a nice day.

*Cop*
Uhh... You too sir.

But instead mr. Smartaleck goes off and cusses out the cop and gets booked for disorderly conduct. He manages to weasel his way out of that one but he is a hateful nutcase and he tries to get the cop fired.

I would have understood this smartalec professors anger IF the cop had pulled a gun on him threatning to kill or taze him, but other than that Scenerio this is foolish and unworthy of news propaganda.

DeletedUser

the professor was already in the house when the police arrived, both the police officers and the professor indicated that ID was obtained and the police were leaving, case closed. From inside the house the professor continued to be belligerent, the police called him out of his house and arrested him on the porch. They were not concerned for his safety, because the picture clearly shows the police officers with his back to the inside of the house. He was arresting the professor because he didn't like what the professor said, after they were already leaving. That is unprofessional.

So, no... no break for your wild unsubstantiated claims.
Hellstromm-your making that up as you go.

Do you understand the concept of disorderly conduct? It has nothing to do with safety for anyone.

The fact he was already in his home when police arrived doesn't mean an officer isn't going to investigate the matter. And even if they do-the last place an officer is going to question a potential perp is in the confines of a home.

Procedure would call for the officer to remove him for questioning - ask if anyone else is inside the house.

People have been arrested for Disorderly Conduct for flicking a police officer off after pulling them over about a traffic citation-or cussing them out because they didn't think they actually rolled through that stop sign.

Gates accosted the officer because he assumes the cop is racially motivated. He can't be when it stems from a 911 call.

And I hate to break it to Gates, but things are going to happen to him a lot in the remainder of his lifetime, and hes always going to be black. Just because life happens-its not because hes black.

He got what he deserved-and he should be arraigned on those charges.

DeletedUser

Hellstrom, I understand you have problems with police based on what you relate as having happened to your brother.

With the way the laws are written, depending on WHAT the Prof. said, It could be immaterial where he was when he said it. Massachusetts recognizes the existence of "Fighting Words". Insults and slurs which, by their very nature, constitute a breach of the peace if directed toward another person.

If the prof. insulted any person (including the officer personally involved) based on his race, questioned his birth or heritage, slandered his parents, or threatened any person, the officer is required to charge him, to prevent further breach of the peace.

It does not matter if the professor is in his home with the laws on the book in Mass.

I know you have a personal bias against the police, based on your story of what happened to your brother, and I think you may be letting your bias color your judgement here. If the tapes are released, we'll hear them.

DeletedUser

I'm actually amused that you guys are making up what happened to suit your agenda.

DeletedUser

Helstrom, I'm curious as to what "Agenda" you suppose I have. Also, I think I've made it pretty clear that until all the facts are in, it's pointless conjecture.

DeletedUser

I think Jackie Manson said it best when he said "Crowley thought it has his legal obligation to check up on it"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhVcyNdIS0I

and something I would like to add if Crowley was Black instead of White would people have been makeing such a big deal over it by labeling him Racist.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The professor is the one with the race problem. The police was doing their job by going there to check out what had been reported as a possible break in. Black or white has very little bearing on the facts. The professor should have been grateful to the police officer for getting there as quickly as he did not be irate at him for being there to check it out.

DeletedUser

I just heard all the police calls and the 911 tape. The thing that counts is the police call. Crowley stated on the radio, while he was in the house, he had the ID and stated the professor's full name on the call. So, Crowley identified the professor. He arrested the professor because the professor was upset about being hassled in his own house.

The police were wrong.

DeletedUser

As much as I hate to admit it and as much as I'm aggravated by the actions of the indignant and obviously prejudice professor, the police were wrong in arresting him. Was it a racially motivated decision? I don't think so and I don't see any evidence leaning towards it, but that doesn't change the fact that the professor did nothing illegal. Being a pompous snob isn't illegal and the police had no grounds to arrest him.

DeletedUser

As much as I hate to admit it and as much as I'm aggravated by the actions of the indignant and obviously prejudice professor, the police were wrong in arresting him. Was it a racially motivated decision? I don't think so and I don't see any evidence leaning towards it, but that doesn't change the fact that the professor did nothing illegal. Being a pompous snob isn't illegal and the police had no grounds to arrest him.

Being a snob isn't exactly what took place. And based on Disorderly Conduct-police officers can in fact arrest them.

Until those tapes are made public-we cannot fairly judge the Police Officer.