Gun Control

DeletedUser34315

You're right, we don't need those musty old documents. Constitution, bill of rights, declaration of independence, pfft.
They're all just newfangled nonsense trying to distract us from the way things should be, with a good solid king on the throne, peasants to rule, and lovely little wars to go fight on our nice big horses.

All these absurd new "rights" everyone's harking about, those are just stupid.
Blacks, women, lower classes, pfft. They don't need a say in government! We don't need any "freedom of the press and speech" people stirring up trouble! Things were better the old way!
String 'em up on the gibbet if they was misbehaving, that keeps law and order fine. Give a nice "fair" trial, with a good kings judge presiding, that's the way it should be!
No need for this contraption of "trial by jury" or "innocent till proven guilty"!

All this blathering about rights... waste of time, that's what it is. The good old days were better.

DeletedUser

Says the man arguing that he needs to keep his guns because of a clause written over two hundred years ago.

DeletedUser

Blacks, women, lower classes, pfft. They don't need a say in government!
Umm, Gandalf, when the Constitution was rendered, women did not have rights and blacks were slaves. In fact, most of the founding fathers owned slaves (some even had "lower class" white slaves, otherwise referred to as indentured servants). For women, it was not until 1920 they received the right to vote (and equality has still not been rendered). For blacks, it was 1870 (although not ensured until 1965). As to slavery, it was actually protected by the Constitution, in Article I, IV, and V. It wasn't until the enforcement of the Emancipation Proclamation in 1865 that the United States saw an end to "public" slavery. However, many businesses merely exported their slave exploitation, into other lands (West Africa, India, etc), and I did not even touch upon the continued U.S. sponsored sex trade.

Perhaps you need to rethink your sarcasm.

Really? You can't put it any better than that? Wow, okay... well I bothered to listen to this guy's (Keith Morgan) weak arguments and here's my rebuttal:

Bear Arms
Arms does not translate to guns, or even firearms. It translates to weapons. So, the right to bear arms can be interpreted to include the right to bear howitzers, ICBMs, nuclear weapons, biological weapons, and chemical weapons. Clearly that is not reasonable, even in today's messed up standards and in this regard, Keith Morgan is correct that such an argument is invalid. But how about if we just stick to the context of firearms?

The 2nd Amendment was created at a time in which "firearms" consisted of rudimentary rifling, single-shot, muzzle-loading flintlocks. As previously pointed out, it is quite reasonable to concede the point that "arms" is interpretative. Indeed, "arms" in 1791 did not constitute ANY of the firearms we have now.

A nation's laws not only interpret the definition of "arms," but the context of right, and finally the intent of the forefathers when they instituted the 2nd Amendment. Obviously the intent of the forefathers was not for every American to have the right to bear biological, chemical, or nuclear weapons. It is also quite obvious their intent was not to include ICBMs or howitzers. I state it is also obvious our forefathers did not intend for "the right to bear arms" to include semi-automatic weapons, large capacity clips, and quick fire trigger systems, all of which contribute to the ability to kill en masse. Indeed, if they could step into our day and age, review the firearms presently being sold on the market, they would surely have edited the 2nd Amendment to state, "the right to bear flintlocks."

2ndAmend.jpg

Supreme Court
In 1791, when the 2nd Amendment was written, the most advanced firearm was a flintlock, capable of firing 4 rounds a minute. Compare this to the still-legal AR15s with a bump-fire rate of 900 rounds per minute. In both the DC vs Heller and the McDonald vs Chicago cases, it was made clear that handguns are defined as "arms" and thus are protected by the Constitution. However, the courts made it abundantly clear that no decision was made on any other type of firearm. In fact, they specifically stated that the Second Amendment rights are subject to reasonable restrictions.

It is then clear that what we have here is a battle not for the right to bear arms, but for certain firearms to be defined, by the courts, as arms. Getting certain firearms defined as arms would allow those firearms to be protected by the Constitution, i.e., the right to bear arms. This entire scene makes it abundantly clear that there is indeed a battle for Constitutional clarification. In other words, it is not even remotely reasonable to assume that the 2nd Amendment protects your right to bear any friggin' weapon you want.

One of the defining moments in the DC vs Heller case was in indicating that the 2nd Amendment, which states, "a well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed" does not limit the right to bear arms to only those who are in a regulated militia, but instead to any citizen's right to bear arms. It also indicated that handguns are "arms." But, one facet that is conveniently overlooked are the statements made that specifically exempted any other type of firearm from these rulings, essentially stating that other types of firearms are not part of this ruling and that this court was not ruling on whether any other types of firearms are "arms."

These points are critical to these 40 page arguments precisely because much of the pro-gun arguments presented here have erroneously assumed the Constitution supports their assertions, when in fact it does not. Such is the same mistake in Keith Morgan's assumptions.

No Duty to Defend
In this particular argument posed by the abrasive guest, was that the Supreme Court held that police do not have a duty to protect. This refers to a 1989 ruling and is conveniently taken out of context. In fact, there are two cases where this is clearly not valid: special relationship & state-created danger. Even dismissing these wide positions, the police do have a responsibility to protect the citizenry. The ruling is taken out of context because it refers to being "sued" for failing to protect, which is not even remotely the same as responsibility to protect. They are paid for and hired by the citizens to act in the best interest of citizens to protect, but the Supreme Court ruled that they cannot be sued if they fail in their efforts to do just that.

In other words, this show's guest was being opportunistic in presenting this information, precisely because he was switching the intent posed by the Supreme Court, from "right to suit" to "right to shoot." Clearly disingenuous and distortionist.

Same Threats
Another argument posed by this guest is that police and military are dealing with the same threats as citizens. This is just plain hogwash. The military clearly does not encounter the same degree of threat that citizens encounter, so that comparison is an absolute joke. As to the police, every single day they are called to address incidents far beyond what the average citizen would encounter even once in his lifetime and the severity of such encounters is likewise much higher. It is a false argument to claim that citizens encounter the same threat as police. Police are specifically directed to place themselves in harm's way. Citizens are not. They are, in fact, encouraged to do the exact opposite. Finally, it is true that police are trained, whilst the average citizen is not. Push it further, police both train and work in this field every day, 12 hours a day, 6 days a week and are considered on the job even when out of uniform. Compare this to the armed citizen whose extent of experience and training consists of shooting at stationary targets every other weekend.

Once again the show's guest, Keith Morgan, was being disingenous and distortionist.

Suggesting I WANT when I say that the officials should not be more "equal" than others? I am suggesting they kinda are when they shouldn't be.
And yet another ridiculous argument. The President, and other officials we voted into office, are taking great risks to their life to serve us. It is estimated the President (and his family) receive over 30 threats to life every single day. Very few of us can claim to have received even one threat to life, let alone one a day. And the threats to our lives pales in comparison to the threats posed to elected government officials. One other point is that these representatives sacrificed a lot to serve us. What exactly did you sacrifice to serve yourself?

A clear cut example is the ObamaCare. They passed it with the condition that they will be exempt from it. Now how fair and democratic is that? :)
Geez, biggest lie you could have posed. You are referring to the penalty imposed for not having medical coverage. Government officials are not exempt, anymore than anyone else. Those who have medical coverage, whether government officials or corporate employees, are not subject to a penalty precisely because they have medical coverage. In fact, anyone with medical coverage, be they full time government employees, business employees, private persons, Medicare recipients, CMS recipients, or anyone else with medical coverage, are in fact not subject to penalties.

It seems you really don't have an issue with the penalties, as you have an issue with full-time government employees that have medical coverage. Not much logic in your argument there.

What I am suggesting is that the president should impose on himself the same defense methods he is offering the population. Civilians were hit at 9/11 not the White House.
And here you ignore the plane that crashed into the Pentagon (125 people died there) and the plane that was downed, which was intended to strike the White House. Indeed, you even ignored the government personnel that lost their lives in the Twin Towers (over 500) and the thousands that died in the subsequent wars overseas. But worse, you have the audacity to compare 9/11 to gun control.

Please, explain to me how your assault rifle would have defended you against two Boeing 757 and two Boeing 767 airplanes. Right, a pathetic and insulting argument.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser34315

Umm, Gandalf, when the Constitution was rendered, women did not have rights and blacks were slaves. In fact, most of the founding fathers owned slaves (some even had "lower class" white slaves, otherwise referred to as indentured servants). For women, it was not until 1920 they received the right to vote (and equality has still not been rendered). For blacks, it was 1870 (although not ensured until 1965). As to slavery, it was actually protected by the Constitution, in Article I, IV, and V. It wasn't until the enforcement of the Emancipation Proclamation in 1865 that the United States saw an end to "public" slavery. However, many businesses merely exported their slave exploitation, into other lands (West Africa, India, etc), and I did not even touch upon the continued U.S. sponsored sex trade.

Perhaps you need to rethink your sarcasm.
*Vroom!* Goes the sound of a joke whizzing right over tigermite's head at 800 mph....
Hellstromm,
I'm not saying we had all those in the constitution to start with- I'm saying, all of those things are in the constitution or its amendments.
Seriously, i think i know my country's history a LITTLE better than to forget about slavery.. and suffrage...

DeletedUser

Serve us :laugh:
I really don't believe your little act there. You know damn well they serve themselves. Else cuts would start from the "gov pensions for life even after only 1 term". Not to mention that the forefathers intended for "people's representatives" to only get paid at times of war. That changed for the worst didn't it?! Or are we playing semantics again? :)

And I don't think the forefathers would want us to defend ourselves against criminals with flintlocks. No matter what points we argue and counter-argue, the truth remains: criminals will possess whatever guns they want no matter how strict gun laws get.

And you go tell people in Oakland about police protection. I think they will have something to tell you about being stopped and frisked for no reason.

PS: ObamaCare is about much more than medical coverage. But we can make another thread on that. The truth of the matter is, "our representatives" do not want to be subject to it and that tells me everything I need to know (and then some). :)

DeletedUser

*Vroom!* Goes the sound of a joke whizzing right over tigermite's head at 800 mph....

*Swoosh!* Goes the sound of the entire thread smashing past Gandalf's head at gorram lightspeed.

Hellstromm,
I'm not saying we had all those in the constitution to start with- I'm saying, all of those things are in the constitution or its amendments.
Seriously, i think i know my country's history a LITTLE better than to forget about slavery.. and suffrage...

You seem perfectly capable to forget about all the homicides.

And I don't think the forefathers would want us to defend ourselves against criminals with flintlocks. No matter what points we argue and counter-argue, the truth remains: criminals will possess whatever guns they want no matter how strict gun laws get.

The 2nd Amendment in it's purest form was meant to mean that militia could bear arms without infringement.

And besides, it was written over 200 years ago, things have changed. Y'all don't live in the Wild West. About time you started admitting it.

DeletedUser34315

Human nature hasn't changed.
The founding fathers saw a need for citizens to be able to protect themselves.
I haven't forgotten the homicides; i just know quite well that criminals will still be able to get guns, and thus keep committing homicide; while their victims will not have a way of defending themselves.
And no, it most certainly does not apply only to militias.
Read it.

DeletedUser

I haven't forgotten the homicides; i just know quite well that criminals will still be able to get guns, and thus keep committing homicide; while their victims will not have a way of defending themselves.

Agh...we're going around in circles. These homicides were not committed by organized gangs.
Yes, the mafia can get guns if they want them, but they're not the ones going into schools and going Rambo on the population.

DeletedUser

Agh...we're going around in circles. These homicides were not committed by organized gangs.
Yes, the mafia can get guns if they want them, but they're not the ones going into schools and going Rambo on the population.

LOL that's like saying: people who consume drugs are all gang/cartel/mafia members. Only they have access to illegal stuff. Stop being naive.

DeletedUser

Which was precisely the point being made by The Unknown General. The Constitution, and its inclusive amendments, have undergone changes precisely because clarification and/or corrections were needed. The 2nd Amendment is one sentence in dire need of clarification, as it pertains to a time & technology far removed from today and uses outdated grammar to pose nondescript words.

Duduie said:
the forefathers intended for "people's representatives" to only get paid at times of war. That changed for the worst didn't it?! Or are we playing semantics again? :)
It seems you are indeed pushing for semantics, and likewise pushing for false tangents. In any event, you are incorrect, as Congress posed a $25,000 salary for the 1st President, George Washington (a representative of the People). Also an issue of disingenuous argument, House representatives were initially State paid, not Federal. If you wish to debate this point further, please create a new thread, as it has "nothing" to do with gun control.

Duduie said:
And I don't think the forefathers would want us to defend ourselves against criminals with flintlocks.
Still pushing the lie I see. The 2nd Amendment was presented to ensure State militias could not be disarmed by a central or intervening government, a protection against what they deemed a considerable threat to their newfound democracy after the recent win over a sovereign nation. It had almost nothing to do with "criminal" protections.

As it stands, the previously mentioned late 20th century court cases expanded the definition to indicate that one does not need to be part of a State militia to be allowed possession of "arms," which they defined as "handguns" and made no other inclusions. They likewise expounded upon the 2nd Amendment sentence to likewise refer to self-protection.

Duduie said:
No matter what points we argue and counter-argue, the truth remains: criminals will possess whatever guns they want no matter how strict gun laws get.
Grossly incorrect and presumptive. First, a citizen is not a "recognized" criminal until they commit, and are prosecuted for, a henious crime. Prior to that moment, citizens legally obtain their weapons to commit crimes. Once they are not authorized to possess a gun due to a prior conviction (because exceptions were posed to the 2nd Amendment), through straw purchasing, gun shows, private sales, or corrupt dealers, persons have nonetheless been able to obtain guns "precisely" because of lax State and Federal gun laws. Now an effort to curtail this issue is being presented and you claim foul. Disturbing irony.

And let me return to this point about violent ex-felons, who are not authorized to possess a gun. The 2nd Amendment clearly states that, "a well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed".

Please tell me where in the 2nd Amendment is says, "except if you're an ex-felon." No, it says, "shall not be infringed" and yet infringe is exactly what is done. Why? To protect the People from harm by dangerous People, a 20th century amendment imposed upon the 18th century 2nd Amendment.

This is PRECISELY the point behind imposing restrictions on "who" is allowed to possess a gun, on "what" is defined as arms, on "how" a gun is sold and tracked, and on "why" the Consitution is a living document, subject to change and/or clarification.

And once again, pay attention to, "regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State." This makes it clear the 2nd Amendment was initially intended to provide State security (State independence), a protection against foreign invasion or Federal incursion. It initially had nothing to do with self protection.

And last, let's review, "well regulated". This implies those persons authorized to bear arms were to be regulated, which infers rules and restrictions. So while the right of States was not to be infriged upon, to arm their militia, they were nonetheless to be "well regulated."

Kinda sucks when your own coveted 2nd Amendment makes it clear that you are taking gross liberties on interpretation, notwithstanding all previous refutations.

(( Oh, and I noticed how you keep returning to rehashed points that had been firmly rebutted in previous posts. Others are not wrong for pointing out that you are playing the, "hope everyone forgets that last rebuttal" tactic. ))

DeletedUser

Kinda sucks when your own coveted 2nd Amendment makes it clear that you are taking gross liberties on interpretation, notwithstanding all previous refutations.

I really really can't stop laughing in order to formulate a more serious response. You Pender, you talking about interpretations? :laugh:

a citizen is not a "recognized" criminal until they commit, and are prosecuted for, a heinous crime

True. So how is gun control gonna stop a perfectly sane non-criminal from purchasing a gun with the intent to commit a crime? Lie detector test? :laugh:
Sorry, can't stop. You just made my day. Between the "serve us" and "gross liberties of interpretation" you gave me quite the treat.

And lets not forget about the already existing illegal possessions that are not gonna be subject to any law, past present or future. Statistics don't lie. Open carry states have a way lower crime rate than states where carrying is prohibited in any way, form or shape. If there was any way to count all the "illegally possessed firearms" in the whole US, I BET the most would be in California and District of Columbia, least in Vermont and other open-carry states. Your argument is that lawful possession leads to more gun violence, yet most gun violence happens in highly gun-controlled states. Why? Cause people with criminal intent know there's less of a chance there's someone defending himself with a gun. Why do you think these crazies hit schools and not police stations? Easy targets, most certainly unarmed. Wanna see the whole US unarmed? Prepare for more and more and more of such violence, because the guns are not gonna be off the market. Dance around it as much as you want, numbers don't lie.

DeletedUser15641

I really really can't stop laughing in order to formulate a more serious response. You Pender, you talking about interpretations? :laugh:

True. So how is gun control gonna stop a perfectly sane non-criminal from purchasing a gun with the intent to commit a crime? Lie detector test? :laugh:
Sorry, can't stop. You just made my day. Between the "serve us" and "gross liberties of interpretation" you gave me quite the treat.

And lets not forget about the already existing illegal possessions that are not gonna be subject to any law, past present or future. Statistics don't lie. Open carry states have a way lower crime rate than states where carrying is prohibited in any way, form or shape. If there was any way to count all the "illegally possessed firearms" in the whole US, I BET the most would be in California and District of Columbia, least in Vermont and other open-carry states. Your argument is that lawful possession leads to more gun violence, yet most gun violence happens in highly gun-controlled states. Why? Cause people with criminal intent know there's less of a chance there's someone defending himself with a gun. Why do you think these crazies hit schools and not police stations? Easy targets, most certainly unarmed. Wanna see the whole US unarmed? Prepare for more and more and more of such violence, because the guns are not gonna be off the market. Dance around it as much as you want, numbers don't lie.

Kuwait is a good example of gun control where I think they had gun control or something like that but it really worked!

Although it worked, it just turned peeps from guns to knives but at least you can fight your life against that and not the big machine guns where a few hundreds might get slaughtered.

At least their will be less guns to worry about, so why is that a problem.

Here is why peeps are pushing for gun control as its a good intention to have not a bad one!

They want safer homes, schools, backyards, malls, playgrounds and amusement parks etc etc.

So your just gonna wait and watch how many innocent children and parents etc die in order to change?

You should be worried about yourself more often, the US is now more dangerous than most other country's due to guns!

So why shouldn't they change in order for so many to feel safer at least!

More and more peeps will die for the 2'nd amendment as there will be always a place for crazy peeps in over 300 million people!

I am not threatening anyone just making facts out and why wait so long in order to just see if it just stops by itself while it never will.

One day, you would get it and I wouldn't try to gamble on lives for one law that makes you legal to obtain weapons, what if it happens to get to the hands of terrorists?

That is the real worst case scenario to have Al Qaeda in USA's own backyard or such, maybe unlikely but its a possibility!

The 2'nd amendment is actually in my opinion a national security risk!

The old days had simple weapons not these machine guns as others are telling.

And the development of fire arms are ongoing so its having no limit to what kind of weapons the future has to offer for some crazy nutshell.

DeletedUser

So how is gun control gonna stop a perfectly sane non-criminal from purchasing a gun with the intent to commit a crime? Lie detector test? :laugh:
And here is where you framed your question to avoid the REAL issue, which is that the present and ongoing concern is "not-sane" non-criminals obtaining access to guns. That you tried to dodge this with your "perfectly sane" comment demonstrates you truly do recognize the flaw in your arguments and in your interpretation of the 2nd Amendment.

And lets not forget about the already existing illegal possessions that are not gonna be subject to any law, past present or future.
Not imposing any laws to address the present concerns does nothing to address the guns already in circulation and, in fact, increases the amount. As with all things, you must start somewhere and, in time, the amount of illegally accessible guns will reduce. But NOTHING goes away on its own, and particularly not by sitting on legislation, which is what you advocate.

Statistics don't lie. Open carry states have a way lower crime rate than states where carrying is prohibited in any way, form or shape. If there was any way to count all the "illegally possessed firearms" in the whole US, I BET the most would be in California and District of Columbia, least in Vermont and other open-carry states.
Statistics of such a nature haven't been presented in this discussion for you to make these claims.

Your argument is that lawful possession leads to more gun violence, yet most gun violence happens in highly gun-controlled states.
That was not my argument, and once again you are making unrelated claims without presenting supporting evidence.

Why do you think these crazies hit schools and not police stations?
And once again you make the mistake of attempting to pose reason to insanity. More, you talk about "perfectly sane" at the outset of your post and now switch to "crazies". Seems rather obvious you are trying to frame your arguments for a "win."

Easy targets, most certainly unarmed. Wanna see the whole US unarmed? Prepare for more and more and more of such violence, because the guns are not gonna be off the market.
And here we see you pose extreme arguments (removal of all guns) to claim a win. Arguments not posed by me. This is otherwise known as a strawman argument, fallacious reasoning. Interestingly, you added a slippery slope fallacy to the mix, presumption of ensuing escalation on a fabricated scenario without supporting evidence.

Ah well, when you have to resort to false logic in order to argue your points, we can both agree you are grasping. ;)

DeletedUser

And here is where you framed your question to avoid the REAL issue, which is that the present and ongoing concern is "not-sane" non-criminals obtaining access to guns. That you tried to dodge this with your "perfectly sane" comment demonstrates you truly do recognize the flaw in your arguments and in your interpretation of the 2nd Amendment.

And here we go back to the points made in the first few pages: those already determined to be a threat to themselves or to society by a court of law are not allowed to possess a gun lawfully. In order to keep guns away from the not-yet-diagnosed people with mental issues, because the study of the mind is not an exact science, one either risks to have "criminal intent ones" pass and "non-criminal intent ones" not pass (in case your idea is to impose a psychological test). I asked you before what ways you would see to weed them out, but you refused to answer, because you don't have an answer (no answer is answer enough for me many times). So I ask you again: please tell me how changing the current laws will keep the crazies from purchasing guns without imposing a general ban? Or prevent anybody who was ever prescribed Xanax to exercise their right ...

PS: If you look back a few pages, I was talking to Vic about those same numbers, more exactly state ranks by violence. Want me to give you links or you can manage to do a basic google search to verify the ranks I mentioned are true?!

DeletedUser15641

And here we go back to the points made in the first few pages: those already determined to be a threat to themselves or to society by a court of law are not allowed to possess a gun lawfully. In order to keep guns away from the not-yet-diagnosed people with mental issues, because the study of the mind is not an exact science, one either risks to have "criminal intent ones" pass and "non-criminal intent ones" not pass (in case your idea is to impose a psychological test). I asked you before what ways you would see to weed them out, but you refused to answer, because you don't have an answer (no answer is answer enough for me many times). So I ask you again: please tell me how changing the current laws will keep the crazies from purchasing guns without imposing a general ban? Or prevent anybody who was ever prescribed Xanax to exercise their right ...

PS: If you look back a few pages, I was talking to Vic about those same numbers, more exactly state ranks by violence. Want me to give you links or you can manage to do a basic google search to verify the ranks I mentioned are true?!

Google isn't reliable source! Bring official sources or you don't have any credibility.

Gun control might not fully be an answer to violence but its a partial answer which is needed to stop violent massacres from happening or even at least limit the possibility of such massacres.

Google's scholar is more reliable due to official studies, please use Google scholar for more reliable info than Google.com
scholar.google.com

DeletedUser

LOL that's like saying: people who consume drugs are all gang/cartel/mafia members. Only they have access to illegal stuff. Stop being naive.

Oh, looks like you're talking to me now. And I'm amazed you would try to use that. Drugs are completely different from guns.

In order to keep guns away from the not-yet-diagnosed people with mental issues, because the study of the mind is not an exact science, one either risks to have "criminal intent ones" pass and "non-criminal intent ones" not pass (in case your idea is to impose a psychological test).

A psychological test would be exactly what would be required. I can't believe you just said that, "Well, if you do this then all the big bad people will get guns, and all us self-appointed vigilantes won't! Unless you do this."

DeletedUser

And here we go back to the points made in the first few pages: those already determined to be a threat to themselves or to society by a court of law are not allowed to possess a gun lawfully.
Umm, no, there are actually no laws enforcing such. There are no laws requiring reporting of people who are a threat to themselves, or others. As such, there are no enforceable laws preventing mentally disturbed people, who are a danger to self or others, from obtaining or possessing firearms.

In order to keep guns away from the not-yet-diagnosed people with mental issues, because the study of the mind is not an exact science, one either risks to have "criminal intent ones" pass and "non-criminal intent ones" not pass (in case your idea is to impose a psychological test).
Psychology is not a science, never was. It may claim to be one, but it is not. Regardless, determining whether someone is a danger to self or others is not all that difficult. Having worked in the mental health field, i can assert that someone can try and fake like they're not a threat, but actions and mannerisms are sufficient to identify when a mentally disturbed person is indeed a danger to self or others. A clinician poses an initial diagnosis. The patient is then evaluated by a psychiatrist, who either modifies or affirms the diagnosis. The person who is deemed a danger to self, others, or incapable of caring for self is institutionalized until they have been stabilized and released, or until they are able to convince a judge that they are no longer a danger to self, others, or incapable of caring for self (it is uncommon for a judge to rule in a patient's favor).

In any event, during this time there is sufficient opportunity to properly diagnose and report the diagnosis to the respective federal/state authorities. Unfortunately, they are not mandated to do so, because there is no legislation in place.

Moving beyond the lack of legislation, the problem comes about that school officials, parents, and social workers are not contacting the police (who are the only ones authorized to post a mandatory eval, Baker Act, outside of a mental health facility) on these persons and forcing them to be evaluated. This largely has to do with the knowledge that doing so means "nothing," has no impact. A person who is determined as a danger to self or others is still capable of purchasing weapons and does not have their weapons confiscated. Until the laws are in place that "mandate" reporting, mandate confiscation of weapons, and restrict their ability to purchase firearms from ANY seller, this issue won't go away.

So, once again, we're back to you standing in the way of legislation whilst claiming, "nothing is being done!"

Logical, huh?

You provided no supporting evidence. I just checked the entire thread. Don't bother wasting my time like that again, thanks.

DeletedUser

I apologize for not having the time for a rebuttal. Hectic times ...

Well then since you have the time to post now, please do post a rebuttal to HS' post. I would really like to see it.

I only wanted to post this for now and to say: I'm sad is virtual, but I'm glad someone posted it on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5ELyG9V1SY

Could someone find me a transcript of that? The sound is so screwed up on that video that I couldn't hear a gorram word of what he was saying.

DeletedUser34315

I heard and understood all of it. Might be a problem with your computer.