"Furlough Fridays"

DeletedUser

In hawaii right now their is this thing Called "Furlough Fridays" It affects teachers but most importantly the students education(Only For Public School)
Instead of the state Taking a paycut from the union workers they take it from education.

They gave the teachers two choices to voite on.

1) Work Without Pay On 17 fridays OR
2) Take Fridays off without Pay for 17 random fridays.

You can guess which one won right? Number 2.
So Now every student in public schools does not need to go to school. I go to private school so it does not affect me but This just means more trouble and more kids at the beach doing worthless stuff for their brains when they should be in school. This is the states fault because they are wasting money on things we don't even need. What do you think about this?

DeletedUser

How many days of the year are the students expected to be in school?

Kids don't need to go hang out at the beach. (although if I were a kid and there was a beach available, I'd be there in a flash.) Your community could get together and plan some activities. Beach volleyball comes to mind...lol.

Seriously, this is where the community needs to take a leadership role and fill in those non-school Fridays with constructive things for the kids to do.

DeletedUser

I think they a have a year-Round school system But i am not positive on that.
The schools have programs for fridays but it is not required for the students to go their.
Its not the community that has to get involved its the whole state. All 9 islands are being affected by this and 3/4 of the kids on each island go to public schools. The governor needs to step up which she hasn't done in all her years of serving as governor. She needs to take paycuts from union workers the the future.

DeletedUser

The last thing that should happen is Union Workers take pay cuts. And are not the teachers there part of a Union?

It sounds like the parties involved have already negotiated and have come to an agreement. And the teachers are taking a pay cut. They've lost 17 days wages for the year.

The responsibility for the future of young people does not lie solely at the feet of the education system. Firstly, it is up to the parents, then the community in which they live, and then the State.

DeletedUser

I Think:
GO KIDS!
Why Shouldn't They Hang Around And Surf And Play Volleyball And Drink And Do Drugs And Fight And Steal And Vandalise?
Y'all Need To Chill Out

DeletedUser

I am disappointed that many if not all the states took from the teachers in the these economic times. The teachers have it hardest in many ways, and they get the hardest hit.

@ OP - By local community, I think the poster meant the local community shoul step in and help the children because the State of hasn't. Yes the State is at fault, but the local community could step in and do their part.

DeletedUser

The local community... A republican notion of always trickling it down to make it the responsibility of the smaller and smaller governments. Problem with that, is the smaller governments need to pay for things too, and they have to institute means to obtain that cash to pay for things, such as tool booths, parking meters, extra ticket fees, overpriced permits, etc. The State receives plenty of cash from its community. That it opts instead to use that cash for paying salaries of upper management is the problem here.

The general idea presented by some in these arguments is that the "community" should fix their own problems. Well geez, that's a lot of unrealistic monkey soup. Communities, rich communities, can afford to spare their time covering the slack left by the State (who, btw, is constitutionally bound to provide for children's education). But Hawai'i has a large poor population, unable to work for free, or to spare time away from what work they do have, in order to cover the slack.

No, the problem is Republican values and their repeated efforts to cut out their constitutional reponsibilities (health, education, housing, etc) in order to cater special interest group pork projects and top level "friends," both in and out of the government rung. Again, this goes back to who is going to financially support the election campaign, not what's in the best interest of its constituents.

DeletedUser

I'm slightly amused that the obvious but no doubt unpopular answer has been ignored so far.

If there is a shortfall in funding why not increase the income (taxation) instead of cutting wages......

Oh yeah the polititians are scared risk of losing everyones vote and would rather risk the minorities that's wages are affected's vote :cool:

DeletedUser

MoSa1, State taxation is different from Federal taxation, and their options and ability to impose taxes is limited. Also, the solution isn't to impose more taxes (in Hawai'i State taxes are already too high), it's to cut out the unnecessary expenses. Either way, the State is not entirely at fault here, these shortfalls were imposed by Bush Jr's (and prior to him, Reagan) Federal cut-off policies, in which the Federal government (who is the government constitutionally bound to provide health and education to "all" citizens) redmarked subsidies to States delegated to manage the health and education programs in place, forcing States to manage the Federal government's responsibilities without Federal assistance.

The present administration is attempting to reverse some of these steps made by Bush Jr (and previously by Reagan), but it's an uphill battle simply because there are so many things going on, and so many changes made during Bush Jr's fiscally irresponsible "reign of stupid."

trivia: lots of people complain about so many mentally disturbed homeless people. The cause for this was Reagan's nationwide shut down of Federally managed mental facilities, throwing the responsibility on the States to manage mental health, without Federal financial assistance and without the facilities to house them.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

They are wasting money on POINTLESS THINGS. Like this one project that is going to cost the state millions. It is called the rail trasnsit system. Which we don't need on an ISLAND! We have enough busses, enough transportation routes. But they still Want more. That project will take 10-12 years to finish. Instead of wasting money on another transportation route they should be more concerned about The education of the future.

http://www.honolulutraffic.com/
Heres some more info on the project

They are taking tax money from us to do that project which makes it even wourse.

Last edited by a moderator: