Fort Battles International Championship Feedback

• Thread starter DeletedUser8627
  • Start date

DeletedUser8627

Howdy folks!

Well we have the battles taking place again, I do hope everyone had a splendid Christmas and New Years - Hoping you are refreshed and ready to win this tournament!!

I would like to ask for some feedback though, not a discussion just simply some feedback (Good and bad) on the event so far. I know we had a bit of a bumpy start and there were problems with certain aspects of the event that should not have happened. I'm quite experienced with hosting large events on this server but with this event I have learnt quite a few new things too. With the actual size of the event, it has taken a lot of resources from my moderation team as well as the other Community Managers from the other servers. But I am in the process of documenting the full event and have already found shortcuts we, as the event co-ordinators, can use to save a lot of time and prevent a lot of issues in the next events we host. Hence why the need for public feedback, just so we can cover all basis so we are over-prepared for new events in the future.

Included in your feedback for this event, I would also like you to comment on some of the event type games we can possibly host in the future. If you have ideas, please post them and do not worry too much on how impossible it may sound. We have ways to make things happen with what we got and we could possibly host other fort battle gaming events for you.

To give you a quick example I thought about recently is something like "Cross the line". Two teams of say 10 - 20 players each start at designated areas on the fort map. The objective is to get as many of your team members to another designated area on the other side of the fort map. By using your powerful weapons to blast your opponents and blocking them in sectors - over a certain preset amount of rounds, the team with the most members across the line wins the game.

At the end of this event, we will host one or two battles to test server load. We will make it possible that we can have every square on the fort battle map filled - that is if the functionality we have at the moment is working since we have never used it yet. Hope to see you there!

DeletedUser27568

One Question well maybe 2-3 about this "cross the line thing" #1 who is going to pick the 20 players, because there are I'm sure a lot that would like to play, and will it be like this tournament, different servers against each other?

#2 You say powerful weapons, are you saying that you have finally given in to my never ending Quest to get us cannons? Because that would be awesome..

#3 I see the cross the line event, using a lot of speed items as well as Advent. ghosting abilities, if that would apply, otherwise fast fat tanks are the key..

So I would go with cannons and or gatling guns... that's the key to victory ..

" Be Safe & Stay Off The News"

DeletedUser8627

One Question well maybe 2-3 about this "cross the line thing" #1 who is going to pick the 20 players, because there are I'm sure a lot that would like to play, and will it be like this tournament, different servers against each other?

#2 You say powerful weapons, are you saying that you have finally given in to my never ending Quest to get us cannons? Because that would be awesome..

#3 I see the cross the line event, using a lot of speed items as well as Advent. ghosting abilities, if that would apply, otherwise fast fat tanks are the key..

So I would go with cannons and or gatling guns... that's the key to victory ..

" Be Safe & Stay Off The News"

The Cross the line was merely an example of the type of gaming events that can be played. Just to give players an idea what we are looking for when it comes to ideas.

jarograv

It's been fun so far. It really is unfortunate that the chat/battle seems to lag out every time, but we've been finding ways to work around that. Most the other things I could complain about are really unfixable... stuff like battle times being kinda crappy for teams which really can't be helped since there are players in literally every timezone there is (and even some countries where it is night in one place and morning in another).

One thing I'd like to see in the future is doing away with bringing gear from home servers, maybe even making everybody the same level. Right now it seems everybody is outfitted in full bart's, deadwood, scout, or dalton which is kinda boring... would be fun if we all came nekkid and got like 25 xmas bags or something instead lol. Make us use the regular gear a bit more and rely on shops and trading with other teams. Of course my opinion on this might be a bit different if the next event didnt have like 3 weeks of preperation time to build shops, quest, trade, etc.

An idea for a fun event is to set the server setting of "Basic time for further rounds" to 1 second instead of 45. This would make for a fun and fast paced match lasting about 15-20 minutes if I had to guesstimate. Note that is the basic time and not the actual time, so rounds would still be about a minute when there are 260 players alive, but would be much closer to 20 or 30 seconds if it were a small or med fight. (I haven't been able to figure out the formula for round time yet... so not really sure :p). I think this game mode would make the battle more about what individuals know and less about what the leader knows. Since the round timer is shorter the leaders wouldn't be able to call every minuscule detail of the team's actions and instead it would be up to the individual players to make the necessary moves and organize swaps quickly. Would make for a fun training exercise and also reduce the boredom that comes with barely moving your little dude for an hour in regular FFs :D

Last edited:

DeletedUser34862

Full creds to all who have organised this first gig, and understand its completely natural to have things go wrong, and also learning the things that go right.

Less of:

For me, next time I would want to skip the crafting, questing or building anything. I know it may sound ungrateful to say this, as I know the hard work that has been put into it by organisers & mods etc - but - as a casual gamer on an online game it's felt like a whole lot of "work" for a few battles so far, and being pressured to do that as an individual player. Not to say it doesn't take some to win (as we want to win), but sometimes the tone of telegrams to craft and quest has made a bossy less fun atmosphere. It may have not been the intention of the organisers/mods at all, in fact just the normal tech glitches by design has caused extra time and therefore our team leaders feel pressure to filter down the pressure to quest and craft to players. It's not anyone's fault though, and those same mods were also helpful as they could be to anyone who asked.

More of:

Maybe we can bring our own buffs next time?

Maybe the opportunity to quest is taken away, so no pressure on top of merely playing the battles is apparent.

And then making room for some more fun events, xmas bags from battles would be ace - that would build much more of a community spirit than questing / crafting. Or some drops that are extra special just for advanced fort world players?

This International Fort World concept is new and unique and I wouldn't want to discourage further events. It's the best idea to have been made happen in TW for a long time.

If it's simple and fun lets try it, will be great to see what happens next.

Thanks for the opportunity to feed back.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser36559

I've loving the tournament so far and huge thanks to all organizers who made it eventually happen. The chats have been going non-stop which is great, battles have been awesome and the general atmosphere in awesomia almost makes you feel nostalgic if you ever left the world. There are some aspects and things which could be improved if this event were to happen again.

- As soon as the world opened a lot of players spent the first full day building their town, I know its fun to start from scratch but it would be better if towns were already fully built and players could start questing/crafting straight away, don't get me wrong I liked building from the start but I would like getting straight on with the questing and crafting :)

- Increase the rounds to maybe 65 and decrease the round times to 1 minute rather than the 1 minute 35/45 we have now currently. Due to the insane amount of HP some teams have its virtually impossible to kill everyone in 55 rounds and we will need a bit more time to do the job.

- There should be some option where I can pick all 50 'x' products for the market rather than buy each 1 one by one and wait for the 'streak for bad luck' since some people post 50 products in 50 different auctions.

Possible future event type games

- Capture the flag- Have teams of 10-20 FF'ers who have to capture the flag and bring it to their Home base before a certain period of time.

- Adventure shootout- Increase the player number to 10 on each side and the first team to KO all the other team players win.

- Adventure free for all- 10 Players spawn randomly on the adventure map and the last player standing wins.

Obviously for both the adventure type games everyone should have equal HP + same weapon to make sure skill is the only thing that wins and you can only shoot 1 person at a time to prevent tag teaming. On a side note can we petition to keep Awesomia open after the event :D

DeletedUser

The idea of the FF championship is great!

How ever, the smaller nations, that didn't even get their teams filled with players, have a realy hard time and many players have no fun at all. Hard words against the leaders, players dropping out etc. In this way not many will stay the whole tournament, sadly.

The next week, why don't let the smaller nations fight over a medium sized fort? The Greater nations can easily fill the fort with the players of their leaders choise, and so can the lesser nations, if it's not a LARGE FRIGGIN FORTRESS!

If nothing changes, you will atract less and less players from the smaller nations in future events.

DeletedUser38049

The idea of the FF championship is great!

How ever, the smaller nations, that didn't even get their teams filled with players, have a realy hard time and many players have no fun at all. Hard words against the leaders, players dropping out etc. In this way not many will stay the whole tournament, sadly.

The next week, why don't let the smaller nations fight over a medium sized fort? The Greater nations can easily fill the fort with the players of their leaders choise, and so can the lesser nations, if it's not a LARGE FRIGGIN FORTRESS!

If nothing changes, you will atract less and less players from the smaller nations in future events.
I agree...

As a german who fights for Sweden/Denmark i can say something about the morality:

After our lost fight yesterday, the emotions "exploded"... Personal attacks between some sweden and german players and a few of them already left the alliance and the whole championship... we are 128 players in the alliance atm, but only 105 went to the fight... We´ve got the feeling, that the whole motivation is gone...

I´m feeling so bad for me and all other players from us, who are/were motivated and tried to do their best...

But i think this isn´t the right place to talk about it....

DeletedUser

Considering that the teams Turkey and Sweden/Denmark will most likely lose all their upcoming games due to lacking number of participants, I suggest the Turkey team should immediately be merged into the Sweden/Denmark team.

Considering that the Turkey team is a fifth team in their group (together with Netherlands, International, Portugal and Poland), this should not be a problem for the setup of the tournament. In fact, it would actually shorten it a little and make the chances fair for all groups as all groups then would have 4 teams.

DaTwista, what do you think? Letting the tournament go on like this, with two teams without a chance neither in defense nor offence, will not make anyone happy, especially not players from the Turkey and Sweden/Denmark teams.

DeletedUser33353

Considering that the teams Turkey and Sweden/Denmark will most likely lose all their upcoming games due to lacking number of participants, I suggest the Turkey team should immediately be merged into the Sweden/Denmark team.

Considering that the Turkey team is a fifth team in their group (together with Netherlands, International, Portugal and Poland), this should not be a problem for the setup of the tournament. In fact, it would actually shorten it a little and make the chances fair for all groups as all groups then would have 4 teams.

DaTwista, what do you think? Letting the tournament go on like this, with two teams without a chance neither in defense nor offence, will not make anyone happy, especially not players from the Turkey and Sweden/Denmark teams.

I personally do not have any problem with this idea....full battles are more fun anyway.

DeletedUser8627

The idea to merge teams was already considered but declined since I believe TR team lead did not want to as they assured us they had sufficient players. I do not know what happened in the last match and why only a small amount attended, but I will look into it.

Even if we did do something like this, it would be quite difficult to even things out again since we would need to change pools and the battle schedule.

Dubjean

Each team would start with a fort, either large or medium, and nearby towns. As soon as the timer starts then a fort can be attacked (large vs large, medium vs medium). The next attack can be initiated 10 hours after. This would go on for a specific length of time. Whatever teams owned the most forts would be the winners (large and medium) or the large could bring just enough to fight the medium for an overall winner.

This would help with some of the lag, some of the issues of not having good times for some servers, and small servers not being able to fill larges.

DeletedUser

Ok this is my first comment and prolly my last, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Portugal vs EN (.net) 28/01/2016 18h Portugal / 19h server

WHAT KIND OF JOKE IS THIS?

Just because in your country you stop everything you are doing to drink some tea at 17h and play a damn game at 18h doesn't mean in Portugal we stop the business because of this, 18h is when we are leaving our work places, schools, catching up the kids from school, whatever we are doing we are NOT at home, we can barely be home at 19h... This is just unreal, EN is already a damn broken team, making this will only ruin every chance we got, we had 5% chance on win, now we got like negative 100%.

This competition is totally corrupted with the hours. It was made in the way Germany and EN compete in the finals, let the germans and the internationls fight. I am out.

DeletedUser

+1
the truth has been spoken. :)

I understand it is not easy to fix the schedules so that it benefits every team.
however, it is very strange that some teams have bad schedules -every battle- and others have decent schedules pretty much always.

hope for better organization next edition. and take into consideration EU times. if some nations have same schedules let them battle amongst them. not against teams with -6/+6 hours difference.

there is already a major difference between nations regarding equipments, lvl, players, tactics, etc. it is not needed further 'technical' discrepancies to enlarge that even more.

jarograv

Ok this is my first comment and prolly my last, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Portugal vs EN (.net) 28/01/2016 18h Portugal / 19h server

WHAT KIND OF JOKE IS THIS?

Just because in your country you stop everything you are doing to drink some tea at 17h and play a damn game at 18h doesn't mean in Portugal we stop the business because of this, 18h is when we are leaving our work places, schools, catching up the kids from school, whatever we are doing we are NOT at home, we can barely be home at 19h... This is just unreal, EN is already a damn broken team, making this will only ruin every chance we got, we had 5% chance on win, now we got like negative 100%.

This competition is totally corrupted with the hours. It was made in the way Germany and EN compete in the finals, let the germans and the internationls fight. I am out.

It will be 3-6am in Austrailia, some of our members will be sleeping.
It will be 10am-3pm in USA/Canada, some of our members will be at work or school.
It will be 9pm in South Africa. It will be 12am in India. It will be the same time in England as it will be in Portugal.

EN is a team from everywhere in the world (hence "International") with the battle time being inconvenient for most of us as well. Myself, I plan on making arrangements that day so I am available to be online. You will have trouble finding any remorse from those of us who will actually be waking up in the middle of the night or taking time away from work/school to be in battle while you are upset the battle time is at 7pm which is generally after most people are home from work/school and are not asleep. This battle time is nearly perfect for your team. Personally I'd love if the battles were at 6pm for me everyday but they aren't so I will make do and I will take time out of my day because I wanted to participate in this competition.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

This battle time is nearly perfect for your team. Personally I'd love if the battles were at 6pm for me everyday but they aren't so I will make do and I will take time out of my day because I wanted to participate in this competition.

excuse me. where can you speak from experience? have you been to Portugal, do you know how most of our schedules are?
most of us don't leave our work places after lunch or at 4-5pm. most of us have a full busy day and can only login from 8pm forward.
you cannot say a 6pm schedule is perfect for a nation that you dont know about (regarding that).

DeletedUser

It will be 3-6am in Austrailia, some of our members will be sleeping.
It will be 10am-3pm in USA/Canada, some of our members will be at work or school.
It will be 9pm in South Africa. It will be 12am in India. It will be the same time in England as it will be in Portugal.

EN is a team from everywhere in the world (hence "International") with the battle time being inconvenient for most of us as well. Myself, I plan on making arrangements that day so I am available to be online. You will have trouble finding any remorse from those of us who will actually be waking up in the middle of the night or taking time away from work/school to be in battle while you are upset the battle time is at 7pm which is generally after most people are home from work/school and are not asleep. This battle time is nearly perfect for your team. Personally I'd love if the battles were at 6pm for me everyday but they aren't so I will make do and I will take time out of my day because I wanted to participate in this competition.

Lol dude you seriously have no life or are just have a good life to say that.

60% of our team is 20yo + and so on the work, the work time in Portugal is often 9am to 6pm or 10am to 7pm, considering we need to arrive home and etc we can't get earlier at home before 7.30pm FOR SURE. Also Portugal is a night country, we prefer to be awake late night rather than day, we are very active at until 2am or even 4am, of course, people who work like most of our players in the event.

You talk like you have all the disadvantages and since you talked about the USA we have the Brazilians mate and if you have no idea, in Africa there are loads of PALOP (Countries that speak portuguese and play here as well).

So before you talk about that get your straight, this event was clearly made to give advantage to 2 teams, only blind people can't see that. :)

DeletedUser

This time is not good for battles, we have life and in Portugal we studied and worked until 6pm or more. I do not understand why did not the battles to the weekend, it was easier for everyone, but as I am a simple player should I be saying some nonsense

jarograv

I guess you must be one of the blind people cause clearly you missed my point ;) The battles are at different times each day that you battle. Same for every team, there are varying battle times. Complaining and blaming the battle times for not being at the optimal time every day is ridiculous. The 2 teams with "an advantage" aren't getting their advantage from battle times. We are getting our advantage because we are willing to suck it up and deal with the battle times. Even when the time isn't optimal, we try to get online by leaving work early, changing dinner time, or whatever needs to be done and if we aren't online we sort out our offliners so they can be useful. Not whine that the game was setup to be to our disadvantage. The time will never be optimal for every team since this is an international event. Everybody has a life with work and school that we need to deal with. You don't need to have been to India or Australia to know they are sleeping in the middle of the night or to go to the USA or Canada to know that we are at work in the middle of the day.

Bringing 1.27kk hp to a large defence and having as many offliners as you did at the time that is supposedly perfect is your disadvantage which gave you that negative 100% chance to win.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

I guess you must be one of the blind people cause clearly you missed my point ;) The battles are at different times each day that you battle. Same for every team, there are varying battle times. Complaining and blaming the battle times for not being at the optimal time every day is ridiculous. The 2 teams with "an advantage" aren't getting their advantage from battle times. We are getting our advantage because we are willing to suck it up and deal with the battle times. Even when the time isn't optimal, we try to get online by leaving work early, changing dinner time, or whatever needs to be done and if we aren't online we sort out our offliners so they can be useful. Not whine that the game was setup to be to our disadvantage. The time will never be optimal for every team since this is an international event. Everybody has a life with work and school that we need to deal with. You don't need to have been to India or Australia to know they are sleeping in the middle of the night or to go to the USA or Canada to know that we are at work in the middle of the day.

I said why not the weekend? Most do not working or studying in these days and may already be at 6pm. its not an excuse, but its not fun play without onlines, don´t you agree?