Favouritism

DeletedUser

IN the past, Chinese people practice favouritism on their kids, favourite boys to girls. Some give birth to as many as ten just to get a boy. Girls are punished unfairly, treated unfairly, and given large disadvantages.

Now, in China and other countries, favouritism is practiced again! :blink: But now, girls are favorite over boys because many people think when girls are young, they are studious, quiet, does not create noise pollution and other things boys create. Boys are just fun, and rowdy. You can't expect one to sit there quietly and study for three hours without a break and not make a sound. True, girls can sit there for three hours, without moving or talking.

We are not talking about favourtism but what way do you see it and how do you feel towards different genders?

DeletedUser

To be honest (I am speaking as a girl) men are - and will always be - dominant over women. Their stronger, better athletes (Men win most medals at the Olympics) and so on and so forth. Don't get me wrong, I don't like women being punished, but I believe that the both sexes can never be equal. One will always be better. It's just a fact of life.

DeletedUser

Men obviously do not compete against women; all I'm saying is that they get more medal in their respective games. (e.g 9.58 men's world 100m record v 10.49 women's) is an example. Although the differance is marginal the essence is the same.

DeletedUser16008

Instead of practising favouritism and trying to pretend the sexes are or should be equal in all things ( which they clearly can never be ) perhaps it is better to celebrate and acknowledge those differences with both respect and honesty, without trying to shove a square peg into a round hole as is so often the case.

DeletedUser

Some give birth to as many as ten just to get a boy.
I'd like to see support for that statement. When they get to ten and still don't have a boy, do they stop trying?

Yes, China has a different culture than the western world is used to. But to over-simplify it in this way is not a path to understanding.

DeletedUser

What's Olympics got to do with favouritism? Personally I believe everyone should be equal and girls shouldn't be treated the way they are in certain countries.

DeletedUser

all I'm saying is that they get more medal in their respective games.
This doesn’t make sense. The number of medals is fixed based on the number of events.

Personally I believe everyone should be equal and girls shouldn't be treated the way they are in certain countries.
While I don’t disagree (and examples would be nice to support your statement), there’s little to be done about whatever situation you’re referring to.

DeletedUser

Well generally speaking men and woman have different abilities. Men are usually better at physical labor, where woman are better at multitasking. Men are usually better at focusing on a single goal and working together to achieve where women are better at other tasks. I am not saying there are not exceptions and am only speaking in generalities, everyone has varying degrees of ability in different areas. Women and men are fundamentally different; however you should treat each individual by merit and generalizing them is not a fair way to treat people.

DeletedUser

Wouldn't every gender have an equal advantage?

Men:
- Physical Strength
- Able to go heavy labour
- Cope under stress
- Work together

Women:
- Able to make friends fast.
- Thus resulting that they can get the latest news
- Appearance (not really important)
- Intelligence Quotient (Not really important)

DeletedUser

Every gender? There are more than two?

But, seriously, there is no way to quantify a group of traits and come up with a score that suggests some form of equality. Or, for that matter, superiority. And I'm certainly not going to put IQ as a standard for either sex.

The concept that favoritism is being "practiced" is flawed and is without proof. Everyone has their own preferences, many of which may be influenced by society. But if we're going to suggest a trend, let's have at the very least some statistics to back up the claims.

DeletedUser

Men:
- Physical Strength
- Able to go heavy labour
- Cope under stress
- Work together

Women:
- Able to make friends fast.
- Thus resulting that they can get the latest news
- Appearance (not really important)
- Intelligence Quotient (Not really important)

That is so superficial and sexist ... I cannot believe you wrote that.

Iirc, the preference of boys in China had to do with the child's responsibility to support his aging parents. Back in the day, women were "given away" to their husbands and did not work, so the parents couldn't count on their daughters at an advanced age. This has nothing to do with one gender's abilities.
And I don't think girls are preferred because they are quiet. My niece is like 3 boys put together. I think that if you have no social/traditional/monetary pressure of any sort inside a community, it is up to the parent's liking and there is no way of knowing or determining that one gender is preferred over another. You cannot generalize, because each individual preference is based on different factors.

DeletedUser15641

Honestly i don't think that its true....i won't pick any of the two genders.....i see a boy who is a sissie....or i see a girl who is a boy :blink: what had happened to this world!

so i won't like to choose or favorite so god please just give me the old normal genre i don't want to favorite anyone!

I would favorite the upper sentence!

If you get a girl just give her stuff but not too much that you spoil her into a big dolly which you can't tell her what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I'm going to say this from the science point of view, right back to the Prehistoric times. At that time the roles of men and women were as they should have been when they were animals; the men went off hunting for food whilst the women care for the young. Thus men evolved to be better physically than women. Women, however, evolved the more ''multi-task'' aspect of the brain. Thank you.

DeletedUser

I don't buy this "men hunt and women forage" notion of human evolution. It's too simplistic but it suits cultural stereotyping. Male chimps and gorillas are proportionately larger than the females just as humans are, and yet the chimp hunts rarely and the gorilla not at all. There is much more to sexual difference than recent behavioural tendencies. In fact, the cart could be before the horse, and the reason men were sent off to the hunt when we took up that way of life may have been because they were already more muscular and aggressive.

DeletedUser

Or it could be that's just the way things turned out. There are examples in the animal kingdom, perhaps the most well-known being the lion.

What's being overlooked here is that the male (for the most part) is the hunter-provider because he's incapable of nursing the young.

DeletedUser

Not overlooked, Wiz, just discounted. I figured that the infant is only a burden for its mother during the last trimester of pregnancy and maybe the first 6-12 months till weaning. The rest of the time a woman could be hunting along with the guys, or the tribe could go meatless for a couple of seasons, even if all the women were impregnated simultaneously, which seems unlikely. I just don't think the hunting/gathering account of gender difference stands up. But I digress - if anyone wants to debate this subject we need a new thread.