Economy

DeletedUser

Hi,

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but wouldn't it be cool if you could do stonemining, and then when you would do railroad contstr. or bridge building, you could use those items, and sell them on the job (get a slightly higher return as opposed to the general store?)

ok for using products to help with jobs i think it's in the crafting thread.

anyway yes to all except the bank robbing, mostly course unless everyone agrees to it then the idea should be implemented, course this is a sure way for big towns to hit the small towns. cause a lot of bad blood.

for bank loaning how bout when u cant pay them back whatever u bought or is taken away from you until u pay everything in full (like repo workers taking away your stuff if u cant pay for it) it's like the bank holds onto the item/s until it's done

if u think that's not gonna work then how about an infraction?
the guy who doesnt pay in time would get blackmarked and would not be able to loan for (period of time). Strike 3 times and he can never loan money again.

construction holds a bigger problem and the only solution i can see is that the money cannot be placed in the town treasury (might restrict a lot of people so i rather some1 else come up with a better idea)

DeletedUser

anyway yes to all except the bank robbing, mostly course unless everyone agrees to it then the idea should be implemented, course this is a sure way for big towns to hit the small towns. cause a lot of bad blood.

What about this: if town A attacks town B, the members of town A all have their motivation for every job lowered by the percentage of town B's population who are praying in the church during the fight. Sort of a divine retribution/morale thing. (After all, what kind of jerk attacks people praying in church??) So you could either fight, or pray. Both would offer ways of resisting the attack. The motivation loss could potentially be quite heavy, so attackers would have to think about just how much they really want to wreak havoc on this town.

The percentage probably needs to be adjusted; I don't know what formula would work, but I'd hope it won't be super complicated. A 1-person town, for example, should not be able to cause a 100% motivation decline this way; that's imbalanced. But if you lower it to, say, 20% * the percentage of praying people, then the people in 50-person towns are kinda out of luck here, since even without the reduction they only cause a 2% drop each, and with a reduction to 20%, it would be a paltry 0.4% drop induced! Perhaps a fixed exponential scale that starts at, perhaps, 20% for the first person, then gets smaller with every additional person praying? I don't know. Needs work, if it's even a good idea at all.

for bank loaning how bout when u cant pay them back whatever u bought or is taken away from you until u pay everything in full (like repo workers taking away your stuff if u cant pay for it) it's like the bank holds onto the item/s until it's done

if u think that's not gonna work then how about an infraction?
the guy who doesnt pay in time would get blackmarked and would not be able to loan for (period of time). Strike 3 times and he can never loan money again.

How about this: if you don't pay something back, you are blacklisted until you do, and the effect is that any time you try to work a job, there's a 50% chance that you'll be rejected for the job -- but only after traveling to it, wasting your time going there. Downside: could play havoc with scheduling; but then, you're a criminal, so life should be hard. :p

DeletedUser

Actually, as I think more about the blacklisting mechanism, it would be both easier and at least no less logical to just roll it into the existing luck mechanism of the job system. It would go like this, on your job report:

A co-worker recognizes you as a blacklisted worker and reports you to the foreman. You're fired!

Your job would get interrupted and you'd lose any pay and exp. from it -- but you'd only learn this at the end of the job, just like any other job report.

Red Falcon

I don't really like the blacklisting part of this idea, because if there is a quest that needs a certain item from a job and you can't do that job, then what else can you do besides work on a random job or duel someone? As for the loaning money part, sounds pretty good, though the blacklisting part should not be permanent.

DeletedUser

not permanent? y not? ok maybe if u really couldnt make it fast enough how about removing the blackmark after a period of time?

DeletedUser

Some good ideas here. The lack of an economy is the biggest thing holding the game back. I have another suggestion, and although i can see some potential for abuse i think the extra elements it could bring will see the game come to life.

There is a whole group of players (generally those that picked the character class Soldier--->Mercenary) that are itching to be hired guns. At the moment paying them is a complicated system of either joining their town and depositing money in town funds or filling your pockets with cash then getting undressed and letting them duel you (which i think is frowned upon).

If there was a proper system for paying them i believe all kinds of services would suddenly up for sale. For example builders with high construction levels could travel the country doing contract work building towns and making an honest living. My idea is to allow towns to hire contract workers.

Without regulation i expect that towns would take turns cashing up there own members to buy fancy builder clothes, precise bazookas etc. Ways of preventing this are:
1) to cap the pay level depending on the players level (make it similar to what could be earned doing jobs)
2) only open to out of towners (a problem with reciprocal deals between towns?)
3) time limit on contracts (1 week?) and between contacts (1 month?)
4) make contacts specific eg bob the builder will construct the tailor to level 7 and then leave with 500 dollars.

DeletedUser

seems good but say the founder is choosen to be the bank manager what is to stop hm giving me a huge loan with no interest and no time limit to pay it back.

DeletedUser

Maybe if the person receiving the loan didn't pay it back any money they earn, in till the loan is paid off, goes straight to the bank and doesn't touch their hands. That way, if a person has 50$ debt, when they go to Prospect and make 20$ they don't get 20$, but their debts is down to 30$, and any items they get are sold to the bank to lower their debt. This would apply to the spoils of dueling, so a player would be left with no income in till they pay their debt.

DeletedUser

3. Owning a company(ies). You can own a company, for example a hat shop or a blacksmith. This company will earn you revenue, and provides a place to buy goods to other players.
a) The owner of the company has complete control over the business, they can set prices for things in their shops, and decide if to shut down or change the company’[s name etc.
b) There could be an AI wholesaler, supplying goods to shopkeepers. This facility would only be available to company owners, and would provide a way of the shopkeeper making a real profit.
c) Towns could charge rent for people putting their shop in their town, OR company owners could charge towns money for providing a service within their town. Either works.
d) When you become very rich, you could offer to buy another person’s company, and if you can agree a price you can take over this company.
e) An extension of this would be buying shares in another person’s company, and owning a percentage of that company. You take the % of the company’s profits that is equal to the % of the company that you own, and the person with the highest % of the company makes all the decisions about the company.

Thanks.. :):)

Heh, kinda adds a Tycoon side to the game.would be funny if a sucessful store owner (a high leveled player who makes thousands a day) makes a store line named walmart , and sells everything at their sell value XD

DeletedUser14280

On a different tack, what if someone joined a town, took a loan, left the town,
and then dueled the bank manager for his money?

Would that money be added or subtracted from the loan?

DeletedUser

it should be that you cant leave till you pay it unless the town boots you, you should still be forced to dueling him or still paying him back.