duel someone-suddenly they're asleep

DeletedUser

I visited a neighboring town and went to the Saloon to see who I could duel. I selected my opponent and clicked duel. The system counted down 10 minutes (plus walking time) for the duel, but when I went to my reports, it said the person was asleep and well protected.

I don't understand how the person was listed as someone I could duel if they were in the hotel. Did they suddenly go to sleep? If so, why did the system take the full 10 minutes to tell me that? It seems like wasted time that I could have used to pick someone else.

DeletedUser1105

When you click duel, there is an automatic wait of 10 minutes (so as to not make things instantaneous. Think of it as the time spent checking/oiling/loading your gun if you like).

Now, at the time you clicked duel, that person was either travelling to the town or in the town but not sleeping.

But whilst you were concentrating on checking your gun, the person ducked into the hotel and has hidden from you.

But you didn't notice until you'd finished doing what you were doing.

That's one way of looking at it.

DeletedUser

Thanks for the explanation- it makes more sense. Is there a way for someone to know they've been dueled (and should duck into the hotel)? I know the map shows you the location of a dueler, but is there a way for someone to know you've just rolled into town? It seems awfully convenient that in the 10 minutes I was loading my gun, my target figured out I was there and popped into the hotel.

DeletedUser

Yes, there is a way to know he is being dueled: he saw you in his town. He had 10 minutes to go to sleep or change into dueling clothes (I managed to do both - won once, dodged the duel once).
I want to know, did you lose the 12 energy and 3 motivation, even if the game canceled the duel?

One Armed Ninja

Someone came to my town. O no im going to definately without no chance of it not happeneing, be dueled, i should quit all work and go sleep in the hotel...

DeletedUser

It could have been at the time before the duel, he was still awake and suddenly before the 10 minutes was over, he managed to go to sleep although he never knew you were to duel him. Lucky for that guy anyway. There was one time that someone was to duel me, he also mailed me sometime before or after the start of the 10 minute countdown so I was able to put my defense clothes on and beat him in a very tight match.

DeletedUser

Actually once you in the 10 min countdown you cannot change clothes or duel settings..... I'm almost 100% positive there has been a script made to check that.... I have one guy I duel on a regular basis and most of the time he goes to sleep on me and then a few mins after the duel is supposed to be over he is up and working again EVEN when I spend hours in town only when I duel him does he go to sleep!

DeletedUser

Well you can't duel the same person more than once in an hour i think. So it is possible that the first time he got lucky or you beat him. He waited until he knew his hour of protection was up, than waited 8 min or so and ducked into the hotel. He gets a report a minute or two later and goes back to working just waiting to do it again in an hour. Try dueling and then canceling 9 minutes in or so. And then re-queue it. You might get him, or he will just keep doing it until he gets a report saying you failed at dueling him, or he will think you are offline and leave to work.

DeletedUser

I've gotten messages that someone tried to duel me, but I was asleep. It was sheer chance every time. I'd go to the hotel to restore energy after working a string of jobs. I just got lucky and went to sleep at the right time, I guess.

DeletedUser

it could be just really good luck on his part BUT I think it's more like some sort of automation it's just too "good" to be a human

DeletedUser

you lose the energy, but not the motivation. It happens to me occasionally, because sometimes I'll just target 2 people in a town 2 hours away, and look at the results 3-4 hours later.