depreciating morals

DeletedUser

It's not global anarchy, as in, go into any little town in america and you won't always see a ton of crimes, but yes, the morals have greatly gone down.

But anyway, this is off topic.

DeletedUser

It's not global anarchy, as in, go into any little town in america and you won't always see a ton of crimes, but yes, the morals have greatly gone down.

Indeed it is off-topic, but I challenge you to prove any and all of your wild claims.
I'd love to see you prove how "the morals have gone down", especially paired with human worth today versus 100 years ago, or for fun, 200 years ago.

We could go back even further.

So compared to which standard have morals gone way down?
Pfft.

I believe you are full of crap, just as any other self-righteous believer.

DeletedUser

Compared to what? I think there is nothing new under this sun.

DeletedUser

People have been whining about this for ages. In the early 20th century conservative older folks complained that immorality was on the rise because of swing dancing and dresses that showed a woman's ankles. Then in the 50's it became rock & roll, in the 60's it became miniskirts, and so on, and so on- and yet Western civilization hasn't collapsed yet. :D

Trust me, in a few decades today's culture's going to look reeeeally tame, and yet the world's gonna keep on turning. If you want to see an explanation as to why, look at JR's posts in "What do YOU really believe."

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I believe in my country we are a more moral society today than ever. There are no more executions, witch-burnings, highwaymen, pogroms or hangings for starters. When I was young, for instance, it was quite common for children to be hit, both in school and at home, for minor transgressions. Happily, this kind of abuse is no longer widely tolerated.
Every generation tends to believe that things were better in the past, but this only arises out of an ignorance of history.

DeletedUser

Blondie said:
Wrong, JR. Every human is born with the same basic set of moral rules pre-programmed, for example, murder and rape are considered wrong everywhere, only those with mental deficientcies think there is nothing wrong with it, and those who do it sometimes even know deep in their gut it's wrong.

There are universal morals, the fact that there isn't global anarchy is proof.

Rather than derail the other thread, and since this thread is about morals; I'll respond to the quote here.

Have you heard of the man in New Jersey, who raped his wife; but was released due to his Islamic beliefs saying his wife must have sex with him? Here's a link on the story, and what happened:
http://volokh.com/2010/07/23/cultur...in-new-jersey-trial-court-rejected-on-appeal/

Some guy preaching about Islamic beliefs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwlW9Qq_zEc

So no, the world doesn't share the same morals. 'Rape' in the Western Culture is simply regarded as a woman fulfilling her duties elsewhere.

--------------

As to the current topic, Eli basically sums it up.....
Look at hundreds of years ago, where murder in many instances would be allowed, where crime was widespread, abuse was allowed, witch-trials, murdering people for land, etc. None of which exists today.

So compared to which standard have morals gone way down?
Pfft.
I think this is leading to another topic, let's see if I'm right....
*cough*morals of Blondie's religion, rather than the world*cough*

:unsure:

Oh, btw; I'm back.
Went on vacation for a week, I missed you Blondie :(

DeletedUser

Really? So before in the U.S., when there was segregation, blatant racism, blatant sexism, unprosecuted child molestation, marriage of minors, slavery, sweat shops, minors under employ, legalized prostitution, virtual genocide of native americans, workforce exploitation, snake oil sales, cocaine in sodas, and Presidents being shot... morals were better?

DeletedUser22575

Really? So before in the U.S., when there was segregation, blatant racism, blatant sexism, unprosecuted child molestation, marriage of minors, slavery, sweat shops, minors under employ, legalized prostitution, virtual genocide of native americans, workforce exploitation, snake oil sales, cocaine in sodas, and Presidents being shot... morals were better?

OFC they were.:razz:

We just didn't know it, fortunately we now have Blondie14 to educate us on correct moral thinking.:eek:hmy:

DeletedUser

Yup.
That's pretty much what he was saying, but you jumped the gun on that one.
I was eagerly awaiting him to show us how morals were better in that day and age.

DeletedUser

Yup.
That's pretty much what he was saying, but you jumped the gun on that one.
I was eagerly awaiting him to show us how morals were better in that day and age.

Just watch an episode of Leave it to Beaver, times were so much better when Ward was a little hard on the Beaver.