Count to 00,000

DeletedUser31931

I do remember someone saying it meant something in some language, but I forget the language and the meaning.

I had a drink today that was basically like a flat Sprite mixed with yogurt. That was good.

DeletedUser31931

I was in a traditional Japanese restaurant in London in Ealing. Tiny place, great food, not *too* expensive (£15pp for a sizeable lunch including drinks)

DeletedUser13682

*yawn*

How was it traditional? There's hardly any place in America that says that they're Japanese that are actually like Japanese restaurants.

DeletedUser28032

I think its more the "traditional" part he was referring to. So called "Traditional" restaurants have a habit of bearing no resemblance to the real thing its like the line from Goodfella's about the guy being unable to find real bolognese

DeletedUser13682

*yawn*

What Zemi said. I doubt the authenticity of the British Traditional Japanese Restaurant because of my experiences back in America.

Apelatia

I think your best bet at finding something really authentic will usually be a small, privately owned restaurant, run by people who moved away from the country whose cuisine they serve. I think that in my life so far, I've only discovered one such place. It was a tiny Thai restaurant with maybe four tables. The whole menu was in Thai and the owners didn't speak any language which I understood.

DeletedUser28032

Some celebrity chef once said that it was along those lines with something like Nigerian cuisine. A small group of emigre's move to the UK, set up tiny restaurants, get discovered and then it explodes and morphs into something only vaguely resembling what it used to be when big restaurants get their hands on it.

DeletedUser31931

It was a tiny backstreet restaurant in an area traditionally inhabited by Japanese migrants with a Japanese owner and Japanese staff. Also, the menus were primarily in Japanese.

Those kinds of restaurants exist in London, you just have to know where (or how) to look.

DeletedUser31931

What was interesting was when I was in Washington D.C. a couple of years ago and we got "Chinese" takeaway and comparing it to British Chinese.

Also on the list of things that amuse me. Chicken Tikka Masala, that great and famous curry with a long Indian heritage... that was invented in Glasgow (IIRC)

DeletedUser31931

I don't know of many others off of the top of my head. I do know about "traditional" things that are anything but that though.

DeletedUser13682

*yawn*

There's a really great Indian curry place just down the street with a good chicken tikka masala, though I prefer the mutton vindaloo with the naan bread

DeletedUser13682

*yawn*

And then you got the Japanese chain curry restaurant, called Coco's.Their curry is a lot different than the Japanese one, but it's not bad.