Camping... not anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser3543

Well firstly you have to travel to the job site (lets say 5 minutes), wait 10 minutes for the duel and return to the Hotel. That's 20 minutes of exposure, quite an improvement to a big fat 0.

Not really!

In order to take advantage of that improvement someone would have to.....

1. Be where you are at the start.
2. Watch where you go on the map - not that hard TBF.
3. Follow you - say five minutes.
4. Set up a duel - meanwhile you're already five minutes into yours - which takes ten minutes.
5. Hope that you have your timings just right, because if not and you are two or three seconds out, the other player is tucked up in the hotel when the duel finishes, so will be nice and safe....

So, technically lots more exposure, but realistically it's worthless.

DeletedUser

Yeah - but what you're not taking into account is that the target (if they're active) has an hour to get away. They might have been 5 minutes away from the hotel the duelist camped out in but by the time they wake up they could be an hour away - and that's a lot more exposure than an extra 20 minutes.

DeletedUser

Well firstly you have to travel to the job site (lets say 5 minutes), wait 10 minutes for the duel and return to the Hotel. That's 20 minutes of exposure, quite an improvement to a big fat 0.

So, let's say you are watching a dueler.
The dueler wakes up at 0:00:00
At 0:00:01 you see he's awake (you're quick), and schedule a duel against him.
At 0:05:00 the dueler arrives at the job site, and starts his 10 minutes countdown until dueling a worker.
At 0:05:01 you notice the dueler is no longer in town, cancel the current duel, find where he is and start walking to the job site. Let's say you do all these things instantly.
At 0:10:01 you arrive at the job site, and your 10 minutes countdown until duel starts.
At 0:15:00 the dueler duels the worker who was at the job site, and starts walking towards the town to sleep.
At 0:20:00 the dueler arrives in town and starts sleeping.
At 0:20:01 you receive your duel report (the person you attacked is no longer here).

So, in order to catch the dueler, you have to be at the job site the dueler is going to, see he's there and schedule a duel against him in the first 5 minutes (assuming the closest hotel is 5 minutes away). It can be done, but is not fun. In case the dueler sleeps in your town, attacks players working nearby then ducks back into your hotel, you can stay in town and tell your workers to work only jobs 15+ minutes away (so the dueler will have to walk 15 minutes to the job site, allowing you to hit him before he arrives there, unless he splits the walk into 2 segments).

Also no looney is part of a town whilst finishing the adventurer series. If they are they deserve to be 3k poorer.

I never left town while completing the adventurer series (even when my town was 8 hours away).
- solution 1: complete quest, move to a nearby job or town (preferably job), from there walk home. Someone "stalking" the location won't see you there; you risk losing money only from someone randomly dueling you.
- solution 2: (which I used every time): walk to Mugridge and back. complete the quest 5 minutes before arriving back in town (or 1 minute) - works if you steal his loot, or you are sure you will win the duel.

DeletedUser

So, in order to catch the dueler, you have to be at the job site the dueler is going to, see he's there and schedule a duel against him in the first 5 minutes (assuming the closest hotel is 5 minutes away). It can be done, but is not fun. In case the dueler sleeps in your town, attacks players working nearby then ducks back into your hotel, you can stay in town and tell your workers to work only jobs 15+ minutes away (so the dueler will have to walk 15 minutes to the job site, allowing you to hit him before he arrives there, unless he splits the walk into 2 segments).

Of course, if you know a dueler is camping one of your town mates, you can go work the same site (or loiter) and help fight off the camper. If you're observant and active enough to see the camper turn up at the site, you can start the duel against him. Why chase someone when you know where they're going and can play bodyguard?

Diggo11

Of course, if you know a dueler is camping one of your town mates, you can go work the same site (or loiter) and help fight off the camper. If you're observant and active enough to see the camper turn up at the site, you can start the duel against him. Why chase someone when you know where they're going and can play bodyguard?
Exactly! You'll never hit a camper on the first try, but with 20 minutes you can get 'em later, unlike what we have now.

One Armed Ninja

I say that if you cant go to place you cant even see, then that might help balance out some of the issues pepole have with this.

I'm just amazed at how people are already complaining when it hasn't even been shown how it's gonna work - and EVERYTHING will get tested on the beta first, so nothing too bad should make it onto our version of The-West.

We all know this game was going to change, and this is one of the changes which has been planned almost since they opened The-West here, about a year ago.

What I fear I must emphasise is for you lot to stop complaining when there is lliterally nothing to complain at. (yet)

DeletedUser14280

I say that if you cant go to place you cant even see, then that might help balance out some of the issues pepole have with this.
That just made me think...
What if you want to lie in wait for someone at a job?
If you can't do the job, or even see it...
I suppose you could wait at a low level nearby job.

What about if someone leaves their location while you're dueling them?
Has that been covered yet?

DeletedUser3543

Excellent thought....

If you can't 'do' a job you can't go there...

So, unless the signpost gets added to every job site, then dueling becomes really hard!

Even if it is added, doing high level jobs and jobs that duelers won't even be able to see - like treasure hunt - should ensure safety :)

DeletedUser

Some of these responses are interesting regarding timing. However, it seems like you have to be sitting at your computer, constantly checking location/awake/asleep/who is around you so you can zip off your current job site if a sniper shows up.

Presuming you are an adventurer/worker and you schedule a job for 2 hours and queue up 2-3 more, in order to protect your earnings, you would have to sit here and stare at your computer for 2-8 hours?

Dueling could be so much more honorable: prearranged, each player gets their best gear so both are at their best and have at it.

Dueling on this game is actually a sniper attack. Just shoot victim in the back while they are working.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Excellent thought....

If you can't 'do' a job you can't go there...

So, unless the signpost gets added to every job site, then dueling becomes really hard!

Even if it is added, doing high level jobs and jobs that duelers won't even be able to see - like treasure hunt - should ensure safety :)

Read the first post:

Originally Posted by Zet (dev)
This [camping] is a known "bug". There are plans to change this:
- duelling is planned to happen at the location where a player is at the moment (therefore you will be able to travel at any location on the map, even if there is no work for your character)

DeletedUser

Dueling could be so much more honorable: prearranged, each player gets their best gear so both are at their best and have at it.

Dueling on this game is actually a sniper attack. Just shoot victim in the back while they are working.

A mate of mine was telling me about his revolver when I was living in the states a few years ago, he said no one knowingly robs a man with a handgun.

I imagine that in the Wild West that'd probably hold true to a degree too...

DeletedUser

All ideas I read in 1st post is annoying ( maybe except "duelling is planned to happen at the location where a player is at the moment" .... )

Just simply increase the time before you can duel same person again. Now it is 1h, so make it 5h or more.

Diggo11

I'm just amazed at how people are already complaining when it hasn't even been shown how it's gonna work - and EVERYTHING will get tested on the beta first, so nothing too bad should make it onto our version of The-West.

We all know this game was going to change, and this is one of the changes which has been planned almost since they opened The-West here, about a year ago.

What I fear I must emphasise is for you lot to stop complaining when there is lliterally nothing to complain at. (yet)
QFT!

I think everything that needs to be said has come forth here.

Status
Not open for further replies.