beauty!

DeletedUser

I just came across a news and it made me think. (link)

"Leonardo Da Vinci spent a lifetime trying to paint one. Scientists and mathematicians have puzzled for centuries over what makes one, while cosmetic surgeons have amassed fortunes striving to create one.

And Florence Colgate? Well, she simply has one.

The 18-year-old student is blessed with what is described as the perfect face. It matches an international blueprint for the optimum ratio between eyes, mouth, forehead and chin, endowing her with flawless proportions."

"Florence Colgate, 18, is blessed with the optimum proportions for beauty"
- this is the "punchline".

I never though that beauty wasn't something that you can measure...(except something I saw on brainiac, but what they were doing was jiberish) and now they made a contest with 8000 entries on determining such thing. Well... the result is... to admire to be honest, but are they really doing it right? I mean are promises to bring world peaces not necessary to win a breaty contest anymore?
Also there's that matter of personal perspective of beauty.

Do you care for such a contest?

DeletedUser

The role of the golden ratio in faces that are considered beautiful is nothing new, which I assume is what I'd find if I looked at the article.

DeletedUser

The golden ratio is not just in human face, it also applies to nature.
d6765c23ab021392c30db795279c1375.png
220px-Golden_ratio_line.svg.png
220px-SimilarGoldenRectangles.svg.png
It is also found in the Fibonacci sequence.
220px-Aeonium_tabuliforme.jpg
250px-Fibonacci_spiral_34.svg.png
face.JPG
zahnface.jpg
images

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser16008

Interesting, having looked I dont find this person i have never heard of any more than mildly pretty.

Further more having looked at a number of pictures and being critical the right eye is not in proportion to the left quite obviously.

In conclusion it is basically the usual media claptrap.

DeletedUser16008

Yes, the ancient Greeks were heavily influenced by modern media. :rolleyes:

There is a big difference between the golden ratio and true natural beauty. Leonardo realised that if you ever looked at his or other great painters works trying to capture beauty successfully. You dont get it by perfect symmetry and perfect proportion.

Articles like this for me just sanitize the true nature and variety of real beauty. Size 8 is perfection 36b breasts etc and all that crap along with it.Hence my opinion it is media claptrap.

PS that link is to the daily mail, the UKs premier womens newspaper ;)

Last edited by a moderator: