Balance in the Media!

DeletedUser

Should news broadcasters be required to be balanced and impartial in their reporting of events?

Wouldn't it be great if a news anchor presented both sides to a story? Too often I find that you can get whichever side you want by just switching channels to the liberal news or the conservative news station. The problem is that you never really get the news, but rather a slanted version of the news. Is it asking too much to get a non-biased version?

DeletedUser

Of course you're asking too much, media is there to mold your opinion, not to give you balanced view on things.

DeletedUser

I think these are two of biggest logical mistakes that are floating around combined into one messy topic :)

(unfortunately I can't seem to put my thoughts down in a clear way, probably cause I see it as so messy)

First of all, there aren't two sides of most topics, ofc you can put things in a way so you are forced to answer 'yes' or 'no'. But in reality there are so many more answers to even the least complex questions.

I understand things in the political system of most countries I have even the faintest idea about put things up so it seems there are two opposing sides and that you have to pick one of just those two, but I hope we all have experience of tackling a problem and realizing that things are not so easy that there is a strict right or wrong answer.

And then there is the thing about 'a balanced view', I agree that more voices have to be heard in the media, but the solution is not to hope there is some kind of objectivity or some way for a person to not show their person (even with a script written by another person). Otoh, letting the audience know what your (or the networks) objectives are and getting a fuller picture of your thoughts is very helpful.

/Edlit

DeletedUser

It's referred to as journalistic ethics. There's actually a code of ethics and some organizations, like the Associated Press, require it of their members (in my ol' journalism days, I won a few "ethics" awards).

The problem here is not journalism, nor news media, but companies that pose a section of their programs in the guise of news media. However, such groups do not actually hire journalists, and instead their employees are ex-bloggers and ex-radio commentators, the bulk such being spin doctors, not news providers.

When you pick up the National Enquirer, you know you're picking up a gossip magazine with rarely any facts or supporting evidence. Unfortunately television and radio have succeeded in putting up the trappings of journalistic legitimacy, through the use of copycat graphics, stage-craft, and delivery --- making their special effects, camera work, and staging look like that of "legitimate" news agencies. This serves to trick people into "thinking" they're watching, or listening to, news but are instead watching or listening to op-eds/blogs.

There is, at present, a pressing need by journalistic representatives and organizations to differentiate themselves from these "posers," but it's simply not easy to do. Presenting facts and evidence is just that, and can only realistically be presented in a few ways. Opinions, blogging, and propaganda, on the other hand, are unrestrained and can always attempt to mimic the trappings of real news and their respective agencies.

So, instead, ethical journalists and their respective agencies are tasked with not only providing facts and evidence, but educating the readers into being able to differentiate between facts and fakery. Such is the example of CNN, with real news and commentators pointing out faux news, or NBC, with real news and faux news so as to capture a larger audience, or FOX, with real local news channels and their faux national channel.

There is also one additional thing to clarify: faux news isn't necessarily fake or false news. More often it is insufficient presentation, or skewed presentation of facts. Such as saying, "an incredible 1.2 million people are unemployed, what a travesty!!!" rather than indicating that unemployment is actually down from three years ago.

And while catching "emotional appeal" is a good way to differentiate fact news from faux news, as I indicated earlier, faux news works at mimicking real news, so often you receive distorted information from a guy with a straight face, only to have a commentator from that same agency later quote the distortion and pose an "emotional appeal." I.e., propaganda posed, then utilzed in an op-ed. Very common, unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

You need to stop using that iphone...I keep finding typos and it's not a novel experience anymore.... :p

I think it would be better if 'complete news' was presented....though there's probably too much to know out there.....

DeletedUser

Omg, eye dedn't git juan werd spilled rong inmi erleer poste!

DeletedUser

you did somewhere else in the forums, but I didn't bother correcting you...

now that I think of it, there really is no way to get 'complete news' other than getting the same news from multiple sources....and again, there's no way to keep track of everything going on in the world....

DeletedUser28032

Even with a code of ethics you're going to get some form of slant to what you're being told. I am not sure how it is in other countries but i know that over here that the bulk of the newspapers (the major ones anyway) are either pro-Tory or Pro-labour in what they report.

DeletedUser

Even with a code of ethics you're going to get some form of slant to what you're being told. I am not sure how it is in other countries but i know that over here that the bulk of the newspapers (the major ones anyway) are either pro-Tory or Pro-labour in what they report.

Unfortunately Braet, that's part of the spin. In order to increase their readership, lend credibility to their faux news, they make the claim that legitimate news is 'slanted.' In as such, you are then led to believe that you have a choice in listening to their slant, or the other guy's slant, at which point they then argue their slant is more honest.

The truth, however, is that there is legitimate news out there, and plenty of it.