Are the Iraq Wars Justifiable?

DeletedUser

I can't believe people don't get this, but here's the reasons we invaded Iraq.

Persian Gulf Wars
Iraq invade Kuwait to add more land onto the Iraqi Empire. The USA was trying to liberate (not invade, liberate) Kuwait and then defeat the Iraqi invaders.

War on Terror
9/11.

DeletedUser

The Persian Gulf war was justifiable, but 9/11 had nothing to do with the invasion of Iraq, it was a result of the diplomatic tensions that had been building between the US and Iraq from the Persian Gulf war. Iraq had nothing to do with terrorist activities and in fact they were doing a good job at policing their own country, despite doing some nazi-like actions.

DeletedUser

So that's what Persian Gulf II was. I did research on the origins of the war, and I found Persian Gulf I but couldn't find what the second war was. The origin of Iraq War (Desert Storm, Iraqi Freedom) would then be the second invasion of Hussein's Iraq?

DeletedUser

In the Persian Gulf War we didn't invade Iraq, and Bush Sr. was heavily critisized for that decision. That was probably part of the reason behind Bush Jr's decision to invade Iraq; to "finish up the job."

DeletedUser

As the war is not over in till it over everywhere (I just ripped of Churchill).

DeletedUser

First war was semi-justifiable...

Yes, Saddam was a horrible guy for attacking and overthrowing a sovereign nation (whoops...we did that to Iraq). But we wouldn't have cared at all if we didn't have a whole lot of interest in Kuwaiti oil. It was a self-interested move on the part of the US.

Oh, and Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. The second Iraqi war was never justified in any way, shape or form. It was a power grab by the Bush administration. It was as bad as Saddam's take-over of Kuwait.

DeletedUser

the first gulf war was fought to prevent saddam hussein gaining the largest oil supply in the world from kuwait he could also strike at the saudi arabian oil wells thankfully america intervined put the unelected kuwait monarchy back in power and bombed the iraqi military as they tried to retreat. the second invasion was for the same reason stop saddam hussein from having oil

DeletedUser

Saddam Hussien also also breached UN regulations on what he could do weaponry-wise.

DeletedUser

I can't believe people don't get this, but here's the reasons we invaded Iraq.

Persian Gulf Wars
Iraq invade Kuwait to add more land onto the Iraqi Empire. The USA was trying to liberate (not invade, liberate) Kuwait and then defeat the Iraqi invaders.

War on Terror
9/11.
Really? Here was me thinking that Iraq invaded Kuwait because the Kuwaitis increased oil production and kept oil prices down, seriously damaging the economies of Iraq and other OPEC members, while also demanding massive payments from Iraq to cover national debts incurred during the Iran Iraq war*.
There was no "Iraqi empire". Iraq did not invade Kuwait to conquer territory, but to free themselves from a form of economic subjugation by the Kuwaitis (a tactic of international relations that the Kuwaitis no doubt learned from the ruthless and greedy US).
The US stepped in for many reasons, but again largely economic ones. The US economy depends on cheap, underpriced oil from the middle east, and Kuwait would almost certainly not have defied OPEC and increased oil production without gaurantees of US protection.

*Edit: remember the Iran Iraq war? That was when the US and Kuwait loaned money to Sadam Hussein, and the US sold him plenty of weapons, including chemical weapons, for his war on Iran.

Last edited by a moderator: