Are Schools getting Better, or Worse?

DeletedUser31931

Thought it would make an interesting argument. Discuss away (and try not to win the argument by getting into a slagging match with the other side please, that just makes things boring.)

DeletedUser

I'd rather ask... are kids geting dummer? The answer may be unrelated to the teaching quality... and it's yes in my opinion. They are geting less respectful and they learning is just something used to get good grades and then everthing is whiped. If they don't have in the family good examples to motivate them to leard, then it's hard to find them elsewhere.
I can't really tell if teaching has changed that much.

DeletedUser34315

If education was not mandatory, it would be respected, and something to be sought after, not a forced, and thereby often unwelcome, thing.

DeletedUser

Schools are getting far worse for multiple reasons; with media, the parents, the students, and the school itself are all to blame.

I feel that the problem starts with the parents. A child's train of thought depends very much on what their parents do with them. A child who is spoiled and pampered will expect to be spoiled by others in school. A child who is ignored or abused will think that the behavior is the normal, and will do the same to others or do anything they can to have the eyes on them.

Parents relationships with one another also play a key factor in the lives of the children. As you can tell by today, Divorce rates are higher than ever and the traditional family is falling apart. This is something that's never really happened before in the world, so Western civilization is the first 'guineapig' for that. Without the backbone of a traditional family structure, children do not have the strong bond and solidarity that they would ordinarilly have with their parents; if mom shuffles from one man to the other, the child will think that, later in life, such a course of action will appeal to them as well. *I base this off of individuals I've met during my High School experience.

The media of today is another factor playing in the 'worsening' of schools. Children are starting to feel that being "sexy" is a need at a far earlier age than ordinary. You have kids younger than sixteen (I'm talking 10 here bro) trying to make themselves look "Kardashian" in style. The media has placed emphasis on the sexualization of women, with shows like 16 and pregnant, Jersey Shore, Keeping up with the Kardashians, and the countless mass-photoshopped images of women in magazines. Sure it was done before, but at least the women were more *realistic* rather than certifiable sex dolls.

Now, the students... The children... Influenced by the crumbling of the family structure and the close-knit fraudulent friendships shown on television, these kids have accepted a new normal for American society. They don't believe in loyalty nor do they believe in honor. Most are interested in having a good time, and nothing more than that. Terms like "YOLO" describe the thrill-seeking behavior plenty, and from first-hand experience I can say that there are more 'thrill-seekers' in public school than there should be. Nearly 50% of students have given up on sex-till-marriage, which, while to some it may seem cruel, does assist individuals in creating an immense bond and feeling of achievement; as if they EARNED the freedom of having sex rather than just went out for a couple of days at 16 and then decided to hit it off, only for the relationship to last about 8 weeks.

Lastly, the teachers (Or more suitable; the schools). They are accepting the decline of a moral society, and may be encouraging it by allowing students to dress in provacative tight-fitting clothes and to make out in the hallways. The system has fallen in with the concept, and it is now a social norm. The children are often individuals lack personal responsibility, which makes the situation all the more worse. I can't even begin to count the number of girls I knew who had boyfriends guilty of statutory rape.

I spent a lot of my time talking to teachers, and I've heard them say that "things are only getting worse" because of the irresponsibility of the newer generation. In my opinion, it all starts at home.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser16008

Thought it would make an interesting argument. Discuss away (and try not to win the argument by getting into a slagging match with the other side please, that just makes things boring.)

Come with a point and/or opinion before you post a topic or you have no business starting a thread.... not hard to do.

DeletedUser

Indeed, better or worse in what ways, in what country or countries, private or public or charter, what grades or is it college, academic or arts, sports or economics, coed or gender-restricted, magnet or standard, ghettoes or Park Place?

To answer the open-ended and otherwise non-specified question, Yes.

DeletedUser

I think in some ways schools are getting better, but not in others, where they are getting worse. And in every other respect they are staying about the same.
Of course, that's just my own personal opinion; I'm sure others will disagree.

DeletedUser31931

To reply to Victor's request I'm not sure. I'm certain that at I few schools I know the ability of the teaching staff has gone down as has the respect from the kids. The teaching staff have gotten worse because all the good staff are retiring and the staff that are replacing them are just not as good. In fact one of the best Math's teachers I've ever known retired this year it is a huge loss to the school in question. The second factor is definitely the kids, I remember that back when I was in Year 4 (the school is private and goes from year 4 to year 8) I would never dare insult or disobey a year 8 student or a teacher on pain of death, or at least being beaten up by the year 8 (hereafter referred to as eighth-formers) whereas when I reached year 8 the year 4's would run around doing what they wanted and with no respect towards us. In fact the respect was so low that in one case one year four was writing rude things on the board and when he refused to stop I subsequently beat some sense into him (I didn't not permanently damage him, I just knocked him to the floor and shouted some sense into him), that boy did not misbehave again that year. Call me cruel if you want, I certainly am, however I did what I had to to maintain peace, I believe that the lack of respect does come from everything being handed to them on a silver platter back at home and therefore they expect everyone in life to be their servants.

DeletedUser

Depends on how old you are.

In your thread title you have a comma splice and two capital letters that should be lowercase. Your first sentence is missing a subject, and your sentence within the parenthesis either needs to be left as two simple sentences or have a conjunction to link the two (since, because, etc.).

DeletedUser

Low academic standards, not enough time spent in school leaves kids with time to waste on who-knows-what, and apathy (or feeling of powerlessness to change the situation) by everybody. Also, teachers have an incredible impact on their students. When you approach teaching as a job and not a joy, the students will pick up on that. I remember reading something in phdcomics.com that said something along the lines of 'It is better to light one candle than to curse at the darkness.'

DeletedUser

Meh, an ignorant populace is easier to manipulate via propaganda. Why would there be any "real" motivation to educate the 99% (particularly when the 1% can afford private tutoring for their proteges)?

DeletedUser16008

Meh, an ignorant populace is easier to manipulate via propaganda. Why would there be any "real" motivation to educate the 99% (particularly when the 1% can afford private tutoring for their proteges)?

Sad but true

DeletedUser

In your thread title you have a comma splice and two capital letters that should be lowercase. Your first sentence is missing a subject, and your sentence within the parenthesis either needs to be left as two simple sentences or have a conjunction to link the two (since, because, etc.).
That first sentence should begin with a pronoun.;)

DeletedUser31931

In my defence I was in a hurry, and I'm still getting used to this new laptop keyboard (hence the comma). If you doubt my intelligence. I go to one of the best schools in Britain which has one of the hardest entrance examinations in the country. In fact, their Latin Exam is the hardest in the country. Just saying.

To reply to you, I agree, it is easier to control an ignorant populace however out of that 99% I'd guess about 3%-4% realise what is happening and have the intelligence to make a change although if you ask me the papers and magazines control everything. For example, let's say that it was in the interests of a magazine to drive up the price of rice. All the magazine has to do is publish an article saying "Possible rice shortage?" and give some transparent evidence about how this that and the other have all happened and this could drive rice stocks right down and you should stock up on rice. The 95% that don't see through the article will go out and panic buy thus creating a shortage thus making the magazine look right. The other 5% will be forced to buy too as they will also want rice but will need to buy more since everyone is panic buying. If you don't believe me then let me refer to when the oil tanker drivers were threatening to go on strike. All it took was the notion of a fuel shortage and everyone and anyone was filling up their cars and jerry cans with petrol thus creating a shortage even though the drivers were not on strike yet.

However that 3-4% can change things if they can convince the main 95% to follow them. That is how any social revolution begins. To back up my argument please let me refer to a great author, George Orwell. In 1984, when Winston reads the Brotherhood manual by Emanuel Goldstein it talks about the pre-base of the revolutions and how the Inner Party (the modern day 1%) controls the Outer Party (modern day 3-4%) to stop them from leading the Proles (the remaining 95%) in a rebellion against the Inner Party. Now this is were the Inner party does it right compared to all of history. The Inner Party makes the Outer Party feel like they are the Inner Party whilst squashing all of those who think against that. Thus the Outer Party feel happy and feel like they do not need to rebel and the Proles are kept happy by simple measures.

DeletedUser

In my defence I was in a hurry, and I'm still getting used to this new laptop keyboard (hence the comma). If you doubt my intelligence. I go to one of the best schools in Britain which has one of the hardest entrance examinations in the country. In fact, their Latin Exam is the hardest in the country. Just saying.

3on5c8.jpg

DeletedUser15641

Well at Kuwait our Kuwaiti public school's now are the only public schools which have flash drives replacing books.So technological improvement at Kuwait :).So for my country its getting better.

DeletedUser34315

Well at Kuwait our Kuwaiti public school's now are the only public schools which have flash drives replacing books.So technological improvement at Kuwait :).So for my country its getting better.
Or worse.
I'm rather fond of an actual book to learn from.

DeletedUser15641

Or worse.
I'm rather fond of an actual book to learn from.

I was speaking about kuwait its still in the implementing process buddy so there are still books btw did you know that backpacks are now about 10-60KG because of books?

DeletedUser

I was speaking about kuwait its still in the implementing process buddy so there are still books btw did you know that backpacks are now about 10-60KG because of books?

Did you know that military packs are now 70lb thanks to equipment?

Well, a book is never defeated. Just bring out War & Peace or Martin Chuzzlewit in an English lesson and watch your grades improve.

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)

In my country USB sticks are expected. Does that mean they spend their time on their computer or laptops? I've just spent the last two years in front of a computer and it's not great, I actually hate PDFs.

I suppose if the entire format was changed to be suitable for e-learning, or there was display technology on the desk (thinking two thin tilted screens or something) it could be an improvement. Otherwise e-learning CDs are very cheap and tacky, and textbooks can be of very high quality.

Last edited: