An abbreviation of "the".

DeletedUser

lol, ok, then how 'bout this one, why does the word monosyllabic have so many syllables?

DeletedUser14280

It's because the word is formed from "mono" and "syllable", neither of which are monosyllabic.
Alternatively, "mono" is a prefix, and have you ever heard of a monosyllabic word with a prefix?

DeletedUser

So, we don't need to abbreviate "the"?
I just thought that it might be a good idea to change written language slightly to match how we speak.

People do not speak abbreviations. They speak contractions. And most of your examples are not examples of abbreviations, but are contractions.
'The' is contracted quite often in print, particularly by poets and writers of lovely, flowery language.
And 'the' is contracted in speech. People seem to be moving away from pronouncing 'the' with a long 'e' before a vowel to just pronouncing 'th'. The (long e) apple just becomes th'apple. Laziness.
Btw, what's the term for two consonants making one sound?

I would far rather see people enunciate than change the written language to suit slurred speech.

DeletedUser

:cool: Quality post Betsy

In many parts of the UK the word THE is changed to T. Especially in mobile phone text speak.

"T quick brown fox jumps over t lazy dog"

DeletedUser

:cool: Quality post Betsy

In many parts of the UK the word THE is changed to T. Especially in mobile phone text speak.

"T quick brown fox jumps over t lazy dog"

Oh, you mean like in:

T lazy buggers use t instead of the three letter word: 'the'.

DeletedUser

Oh, you mean like in:

T lazy buggers use t instead of the three letter word: 'the'.

I hardly think it is anything to do with Laziness. :huh:
Example, do you use a remote control for your TV? You do not need to use use one, you are not lazy because you use one, you just use one because it suits.

Other common abbreviations are:

anon. - anonymous
bro. - brother
co. - company
doz. - dozen
ft = feet
kg - kilogram
ref. - referee

and so on and so forth.

DeletedUser

I hardly think it is anything to do with Laziness. :huh:
Example, do you use a remote control for your TV? You do not need to use use one, you are not lazy because you use one, you just use one because it suits.

Other common abbreviations are:

anon. - anonymous
bro. - brother
co. - company
doz. - dozen
ft = feet
kg - kilogram
ref. - referee

and so on and so forth.

Writing "t" instead of "the" is lazyness.
Just like driving instead of taking that 5 minute walk to the store, or what not.

You can't really compare using a remote control to abbrevating things like feet, kilograms, etc.

Are you going to manually browse through those 90 channels to get the right one?

It's about what is practical. Atrociously butchering the language does not have much practical use when one aims to communicate.

DeletedUser

No, I am pretty sure that people use remote controls because they are lazy. They do not want to exert the effort of getting up and manually doing a task. That seems lazy to me and I am willing to accept that I am indeed lazy, at least on that level.

I see no need to abbreviate the word 'the'. It is three letters. Pretty short already.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

No results found for lazyness:

However...... Laziness
1. averse or disinclined to work, activity, or exertion; indolent. 2. causing idleness or indolence: a hot, lazy afternoon. 3. slow-moving; sluggish: a lazy stream.

I don't think you are saving yourself much exertion by not typing 2 letters.

DeletedUser

Well if this thread doesn't prove that everything is debatable I don't know what does. Maybe I'll start a thread about how nose hair is completely overlooked by the fashion industry. That would be about as ridiculous as this thread. :p

DeletedUser14280

I don't know if nose hair and the fashion industry could get far.
What about armpit hair and the medical industry?

DeletedUser

yup true.. imagine if you could have multicoloured nose hair..
or braiding of the nose hair.. i think it would be nice to open a new thread on this topic.

Nose Hair..Kills Fashion or Sells Fashion ??

DeletedUser

This thread is irrelevant due to the fact that in the Yorkshire, England the word THE is usually contracted to just "t" as in "I`m going down`t pub" or "whats in`t box". They also say "Thee" instead of "you" quite a lot, especially the older generation. eg: "I`ll sithee in`t pub"
Language is constantly changing and the some of younger generation use "te" to symbolise "the" purely because it is quicker to text.

Why have a thread to debate wether you can do something that has already been done for years?

Just my random thoughts on this

DeletedUser14280

You might think they're random thoughts, but I think that's one of the most interesting statements on this thread.